The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What is Lancaster like for somebody who isn't a stereotypical fresher?

I've taken a look around the SU website, and had a look at all of the colleges. All I'm getting is pictures of raves and packed out bars.

I'm wondering if any current students can settle my concerns that I'm going to a 'freshers uni', and that there really isn't much for students who aren't into that scene. Am I wrong?

I'm sat here fretting that I've accepted the wrong uni, and that I'm gonig to be trapped in the middle of nowhere in an isolated university full of drunk 18 year olds.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Routhy
I've taken a look around the SU website, and had a look at all of the colleges. All I'm getting is pictures of raves and packed out bars.

I'm wondering if any current students can settle my concerns that I'm going to a 'freshers uni', and that there really isn't much for students who aren't into that scene. Am I wrong?

Freshers week will have about 6 chances to go out. I didn't go on them all and there are other things to do on every night, though I would suggest still going out a few times even if you don't drink unless you feel strongly you don't want to. It settles down a lot after freshers week and most people don't go out as much. There's not much pressure to drink so there's no problem just going along to meet people. In general, you will be able to speak to other people outside loud places like night clubs.

There aren't many amazing bars and clubs in Lancaster compared to big cities apparently but whatever you do, throw yourself into it and you'll enjoy it.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Obviously every uni has a 'drinking culture' - At Sheffield, I was able to completely ignore it. I would attend societies, go to the SU pub with them afterwards, but otherwise ignore the drinking scene. Is that doable in Lancaster? What worries me is the apparently lack of a real SU, and all of the colleges seem to just have bars, so I'm worried that there won't really be anywhere to go to avoid that sort of culture.
Reply 3
Original post by Routhy

I'm sat here fretting that I've accepted the wrong uni, and that I'm gonig to be trapped in the middle of nowhere in an isolated university full of drunk 18 year olds.

I think most universities that have a freshers week will have drunk 18 year olds round the place. There are people that don't go out much so will probably go wild when they get to uni, at least in the first week anyway.

Although the pictures contain raves and bars, there isn't an actual schedule for what individual colleges are doing for freshers.

I know colleges are different and some are considered the best parties and some the best sportspeople, so this means that your college will also determine what you will be doing too probably.
Reply 4
I was told when I visited the uni that Furness as well as doing a bar crawl they also do a cake crawl where you go and try cakes at a lot of different places in Lancaster, which sounds pretty cool and you don't really have to be in Furness to go along. You won't be the only person who doesn't drink or want to go out and I would have thought at Lancaster it would quieten down quite quickly, Lancaster is a very well regarded University so I wouldn't worry and every university try and advertise amazing night life because it would put a lot of potential students off if it doesn't have it.
Reply 5
Original post by Routhy
Obviously every uni has a 'drinking culture' - At Sheffield, I was able to completely ignore it. I would attend societies, go to the SU pub with them afterwards, but otherwise ignore the drinking scene. Is that doable in Lancaster? What worries me is the apparently lack of a real SU, and all of the colleges seem to just have bars, so I'm worried that there won't really be anywhere to go to avoid that sort of culture.

You're right with parts of this. LUSU is the student union, it runs the JCRs and the campus as a whole so has its resources spread a little thin at times but there are loads of societies to get involved with from departmental to sports or music to more unusual ones. I'm in the baking society, which is great fun. What you suggest is completely doable, you don't need to be in the "correct" college or drink to go into any of the bars. Each college also has a common room to just hang out in.
Reply 6
Original post by katie55
I was told when I visited the uni that Furness as well as doing a bar crawl they also do a cake crawl where you go and try cakes at a lot of different places in Lancaster, which sounds pretty cool and you don't really have to be in Furness to go along. You won't be the only person who doesn't drink or want to go out and I would have thought at Lancaster it would quieten down quite quickly, Lancaster is a very well regarded University so I wouldn't worry and every university try and advertise amazing night life because it would put a lot of potential students off if it doesn't have it.

The baking society does a cake crawl and physics society does a pudding plod but I've not experienced Furness' yet. I'll suggest it to the JCR.
Reply 7
Original post by k9markiii
The baking society does a cake crawl and physics society does a pudding plod but I've not experienced Furness' yet. I'll suggest it to the JCR.

I thought it was Furness, my tour guide was from there but might of been something else was definitely a cake crawl though, so it's still awesome
Reply 8
I'm so glad someone made this thread as I'm really not into drinking/getting drunk at all and I've been really stressing about looking like a loser/getting left out during freshers week.. It's a real comfort to know there are other people who feel the same way as I do. Even though my parents have been assuring me I'll find like-minded people its nice to actually see proof!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Routhy

Lancaster probably has more students in your situation than most. there is loads to do in freshers that doesn't involve getting drunk. I think every collage has a non drinking activity each night and there are loads of trips.

most of the drunken drinking is done out of the collage bars in town (after freshers) and the atmosphere is calm in the bars most of the rest of the year.

In my freshers I drank on 3 nights decided that the clubs weren't for me.

The sports clubs tend to be the most into drinking but you can always opt out. probably about half of the society's do big nights out.

despite what you see on the SU Lancaster isn't as into drinking as many other unis.

Engineering 2nd year - lancaster
Reply 10
That's great to hear, thanks.
Reply 11
Thanks for this thread, because that's the same idea I got from the facebook pages. I'm exactly the same, I don't mind going out and stuff but I'm not into it too much, so it's comforting there are some people like me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by njaysharpie
I'm so glad someone made this thread as I'm really not into drinking/getting drunk at all and I've been really stressing about looking like a loser/getting left out during freshers week.. It's a real comfort to know there are other people who feel the same way as I do. Even though my parents have been assuring me I'll find like-minded people its nice to actually see proof!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My parents say exactly the same thing! Hi like minded person :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Excess alcohol is just a silly way to poison your body. Although I'll probably have a few to be sociable but I don't see why anyone would give a **** if you chose not to drink. People probably have a couple to feel more in the mood or if they feel nervous about starting uni but many don't know when to stop.
Oh good, I'm glad there are so many other like-minded non-typical freshers. Personally, I hate the taste of alcohol and I'd rather enjoy myself without losing my self-control and having to cope with a hangover in the morning! As for raves and clubs and things... I'm not really keen on that kind of thing...
I think there's a non-alcoholic bar somewhere on campus? Well, if anyone would rather have a lemonade and a chat, perhaps I'll see you there at some point! That or in a nice cafe somewhere! :biggrin:
Original post by katie55
I thought it was Furness, my tour guide was from there but might of been something else was definitely a cake crawl though, so it's still awesome

Baking Society do cake crawls, I've not heard of Furness's maybe it's a new thing this year :smile:
I'm wondering whether I was your tour guide- I tend to talk about the Baking Society too much when I guide because I'm on the exec! :smile:

Just from my point of view, I was a fresher who didn't drink and I still went out places with my flatmates- they were all absolutely fine with it, mainly because it meant I could make sure they got home safely! Even if you don't want to go out at all, there will be plenty of people who don't and plenty of people you can meet during the day, so you won't be alone- don't worry! I got through fine, and most societies make sure they have some socials which aren't drinking related- so you'll be fine on that count too!

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 16
Adding to the list of people who don't drink/don't like drinking alcohol!

I'm not into going out clubbing either, so it's extremely comforting knowing there are at least a handful of like-minded people.

However, I will probably go out to clubs etc during Freshers week and just not drink, simply to get to know people and have the Fresher's 'experience'. After that, I highly doubt I will be spending much time in clubs and bars wasting what little money I will have on overpriced drinks!
Reply 17
We should have our own meet up on freshers week where we drink tea and have a movie night instead :tongue: anyone in Lonsdale?
Reply 18
I'm not into the party scene at all
I don't mind it but only in very small doses
I have social anxiety as well which makes going out and speaking to people very different so I'm worried about that too
Reply 19
Original post by Kirsty-Helen
Baking Society do cake crawls, I've not heard of Furness's maybe it's a new thing this year :smile:
I'm wondering whether I was your tour guide- I tend to talk about the Baking Society too much when I guide because I'm on the exec! :smile:

Just from my point of view, I was a fresher who didn't drink and I still went out places with my flatmates- they were all absolutely fine with it, mainly because it meant I could make sure they got home safely! Even if you don't want to go out at all, there will be plenty of people who don't and plenty of people you can meet during the day, so you won't be alone- don't worry! I got through fine, and most societies make sure they have some socials which aren't drinking related- so you'll be fine on that count too!

Hope this helps :smile:

I might have got them confused, I might join the baking society anyway so I will still get it :smile:
Just out of curiosity what do you do in the baking society, as in what do you make?

My tour guide was called Julia? I don't know if that is you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending