The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by greeneyedgirl
There's a lot of different types so it would be impossible to list them all. My suggestion would be to go along to the different churches and see which one you like. Also go to the Christian Union and they'll be able to give you advice as to what you might like etc.

Thanks for the quick reply :smile: and yeah ill try that. Uni doesn't actually start for another 3 weeks so I don't know if they'll answer their emails until then :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaySaam
Thanks for the quick reply :smile: and yeah ill try that. Uni doesn't actually start for another 3 weeks so I don't know if they'll answer their emails until then :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advice would be do what GEG said and talk to the CU - although they probably won't be around much before term. But you can also just go along to different churches and see what you like - there's no better way of working out whether something's right for you than to experience it yourself :smile:
Reply 762
Original post by SaySaam
Hey :smile:

I was hoping someone here could help me.

I was christened as a kid but my family was never religious. I've recently found God again though, and now I want to start going to church and getting a bit more into it. The thing is, its all so confusing :/ what are the differences between all of the different churches? I've just moved to a new town for uni, and there's like 6 different types. Which one do I go to?!

Any help would be massively appreciated :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are a plethora of differences between the Eastern and Oriental Orthodox Churches, Roman Catholicism, and the thousands of Protestant denominations. These differences include beliefs both minor and central, as well as styles of worship. I've spent a while considering and researching different groups and would be happy to help :smile: if you tell me what the denominations are with Churches where your uni is, I could give you some info on them. Beyond that, my advice would be 1. Go to the Churches, perhaps for a service on Sunday just to see if you like the feel of the place/style of worship. 2. Genuinely look up the denomination; research what they believe and see if you like it - Wiki is actually a great source for this. 3. Despite what the others have said, be cautious of your CU; I don't know what your uni is, but at mine (Durham) it's to all extents and purposes a Protestant fundamentalist group, and only recommends Churches that are of evangelical Protestant denominations, saying these are the ones you should go to as they are 'bible based' (as if other Churches aren't :tongue: ) the same goes for Cambridge's CU and others.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SaySaam

I was christened as a kid but my family was never religious. I've recently found God again though, and now I want to start going to church and getting a bit more into it. The thing is, its all so confusing :/ what are the differences between all of the different churches? I've just moved to a new town for uni, and there's like 6 different types. Which one do I go to?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, welcome! :biggrin:

Do you know which denomination you were baptised into? That could be a good start :yes:

I'm all for church shopping but I think Diety's caution about university CUs is a wise one :yes:
Reply 764
Original post by OurSeaBee
I have been here most of the time. Waiting for all the others. I turned my back to focus on Sporcle, and some people finally arrived.

Digging again tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sporcle! :teeth:

I've been lurking here too, but the silence was unbearable :colondollar:

Original post by SaySaam

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hi:

Do you have a list of the different denominations/churches you're considering? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
:wavey:
Reply 766
Original post by chickenonsteroids
:wavey:

Chicken! :biggrin: :jive: :gah:

How are you? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yesterday changed everything from a pretty bad 2 weeks I've had.
Basically late August, my mother suffered a left hemisphere stroke whatever that means.
She lost a lot of speech and movement in the right side of the body and was in no pain.
It almost felt worse, because the lack of the option of verbal communication that I took for granted made me realise how important speech is, and how it's a process connecting the nervous system and the muscles in the mouth and throat working together.

Her brain was fine, it was just co-ordinating the muscles to get meaningful sound out which was the issue. She had a blood transfusion and is doing quite well. This is the 4th time she's been admitted to hospital since May, so understandably, she was getting frustrated with not being able to go to work off-on for having to stay in hospital. This time it was particularly frustrating to her because she wasn't in any pain, which is the normal signal that something is wrong in the body. She was basically sitting there absolutely fine, walking around, but not being able to speak. Must have been really annoying knowing exactly what you're thinking, and wanting to say but when speaking, the words turn to mush and no one understands you.
I would say I understood as little as 30% of what she was saying in the immediate aftermath, but now it's right up to about 96% and she came home yesterday after her release being postponed twice last week. Happy she's back.

I'm packing for University now, and if there was a bad time to be alone to sort things out, it's now.
I got my University timetable, I finish lectures at 5pm daily apart from Wednesdays and I'm free weekends.
I guess that's a positive if I get lie-ins pretty much every morning? :P

And yesterday I was awarded a £3000 scholarship for University, so yeah, my life has taken a dramatic turn for the better in the past 14 days. The £3000 is going towards my accomodation, and I only need to pay about £1000 for a reasonable sized en suite room (that would have been nearly £5000 and most of my student loan otherwise) in the lush green south side of campus. Very excited.
:biggrin: And I'm glad to say that.

So I am Thanking God for showing his face in my life again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mazzini
Chicken! :biggrin: :jive: :gah:

How are you? :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm good thanks! I haven't been doing much lately but ah whatever. University is starting soon which should be cool. I wrote an article a few days ago about the importance of a good attitude and it actually put in me in a good mood :lol: I'm enjoying writing so far so I hope I can keep it up through university. Otherwise there will be no more poorly written stories about what it's like to do my tie for the first time :colone:

How are things going with you?
Original post by Mollymod
Yesterday changed everything from a pretty bad 2 weeks I've had.
Basically late August, my mother suffered a left hemisphere stroke whatever that means.
She lost a lot of speech and movement in the right side of the body and was in no pain.
It almost felt worse, because the lack of the option of verbal communication that I took for granted made me realise how important speech is, and how it's a process connecting the nervous system and the muscles in the mouth and throat working together.

Her brain was fine, it was just co-ordinating the muscles to get meaningful sound out which was the issue. She had a blood transfusion and is doing quite well. This is the 4th time she's been admitted to hospital since May, so understandably, she was getting frustrated with not being able to go to work off-on for having to stay in hospital. This time it was particularly frustrating to her because she wasn't in any pain, which is the normal signal that something is wrong in the body. She was basically sitting there absolutely fine, walking around, but not being able to speak. Must have been really annoying knowing exactly what you're thinking, and wanting to say but when speaking, the words turn to mush and no one understands you.
I would say I understood as little as 30% of what she was saying in the immediate aftermath, but now it's right up to about 96% and she came home yesterday after her release being postponed twice last week. Happy she's back.

I'm packing for University now, and if there was a bad time to be alone to sort things out, it's now.
I got my University timetable, I finish lectures at 5pm daily apart from Wednesdays and I'm free weekends.

And yesterday I was awarded a £3000 scholarship for University, so yeah, my life has taken a dramatic turn for the better in the past 14 days. The £3000 is going towards my accomodation, and I only need to pay about £1000 for a reasonable sized en suite room (that would have been nearly £5000 and most of my student loan otherwise) in the lush green south side of campus. Very excited.

So sorry to hear about your mum but so great that everything's looking up. I've done some classes on speech therapy before and it's amazing just how much speech can suffer post stroke, but also how much we are able to gain it back :yep:
Reply 770
University on Saturday. Looking forward to trying out the different churches in the area, and finding a rather charismatic one to meet my needs.

That's wonderful news Molly! Hope University treats you well :hugs: What course are you taking?

Oooh lie-ins :3 I won't get my timtable until next Monday but alas I can sort of see myself having to get up at 7:00am to get there on time ¬¬

Original post by navarre
University on Saturday. Looking forward to trying out the different churches in the area, and finding a rather charismatic one to meet my needs.

Charismatic should be easy to find :yep: The CUs are normally more evangellical so there should be people thre who know where the good ones are.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
That's wonderful news Molly! Hope University treats you well :hugs: What course are you taking?

Oooh lie-ins :3 I won't get my timtable until next Monday but alas I can sort of see myself having to get up at 7:00am to get there on time ¬¬

Thanks very much.
Biochemistry with a year abroad (hopefully in Germany) :biggrin:
Are you staying in halls? My earliest lecture is 10am, and most of my others start at 2pm and I have Wednesdays off and Weekends :smile:
Thanks very much.
Biochemistry with a year abroad (hopefully in Germany) :biggrin:
Are you staying in halls? My earliest lecture is 10am, and most of my others start at 2pm and I have Wednesdays off and Weekends :smile:

Ooh, I nearly did Biomedical Science but getting a job in a hospital looked like a pain but the science degrees all looked wonderful <3

Well aint that a wonderful schedule :yep: Alas not, i'm making the commute which can be unpredictable in Manchester with the traffic. A mate's dad lived near me and he used to get a bus at around 7 to get into the city for 9... So yay :lol: Also as it's nursing we're in an awful lot so chances are i'll have some early starts.
Original post by navarre

Praying that you find one that is the right fit :yep:

:smile:

Hey Molly, it sounds like things have been quite tough for you and your mum. She sounds like a real fighter and you have shown real strength in dealing with her being in and out of hospital. God bless you! :h:
I have outdone myself! Forget my fight with the aubergine, I cut my thumb trying to get out a clove of garlic and it keeps bleeding ever intermittently :3 Maybe I should just heat up tinned soup from now on.
I have outdone myself! Forget my fight with the aubergine, I cut my thumb trying to get out a clove of garlic and it keeps bleeding ever intermittently :3 Maybe I should just heat up tinned soup from now on.

:lolwut: :confused: :eek3:

Tbh, I'm not sure I'd even trust you trying to open the tin to get at the soup :no: :console: :teehee:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:lolwut: :confused: :eek3:

Tbh, I'm not sure I'd even trust you trying to open the tin to get at the soup :no: :console: :teehee:

But what could possibly go wrong with a spinning metal blade and thin cuts of sharp metal :innocent: :mmm:

I think when i'm on nursing placement I shouldn't offer to make anyone coffee least the NHS loses it's entire budget on treating 1st degree burns :lol:
But what could possibly go wrong with a spinning metal blade and thin cuts of sharp metal :innocent: :mmm:

I think when i'm on nursing placement I shouldn't offer to make anyone coffee least the NHS loses it's entire budget on treating 1st degree burns :lol:

Methinks that's a wise plan :sadnod:

:ninja:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Hey Molly, it sounds like things have been quite tough for you and your mum. She sounds like a real fighter and you have shown real strength in dealing with her being in and out of hospital. God bless you! :h:
Yeah, thank you very much :smile: God has given me the strength to, though :smile:

Ooh, I nearly did Biomedical Science but getting a job in a hospital looked like a pain but the science degrees all looked wonderful <3

Well aint that a wonderful schedule :yep: Alas not, i'm making the commute which can be unpredictable in Manchester with the traffic. A mate's dad lived near me and he used to get a bus at around 7 to get into the city for 9... So yay :lol: Also as it's nursing we're in an awful lot so chances are i'll have some early starts.

Ah, yeah agreed. I'd quite like to work in a laboratory for Novartis or GlaxoSmithKline or another pharmaceutical company. Eventually, I'd like to write articles for the Biological Sciences review, or other publications that don't require a complicated scientific writing style. For me, the best articles are the ones you understand in simple English :biggrin:

Oh dear, well at least you should be done earlier in the day :smile: I'll be commuting in second year, so I guess it's good that you get used to the early starts . Should stop you getting lazy! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending