The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by smorsgabord
I've drafted it but I am currently arranging more volunteering so I'm going to wait a bit longer before I complete them. I'm aiming to submit it all by the middle of November.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a good plan, I think I'm should start drafting this week end and just add/edit bits as I get more experience.
Reply 61
Original post by AnnieV
I think I'm just being inept, but on the Reading application form there's a box that asks if you have any funding. What on earth do we put re: the NHS? It does say that "Once accepted on the programme, you will be sent application forms for this funding," so it's something that we do after the application. I think I'm confusing myself here. Feels like counting chickens putting NHS funding on the application form!

Hi AnnieV,

When I applied to Reading last year I typed in 'fees paid for by the NHS'. The form they provide is a generic one - your average applicant will be funding the tuition fees themselves or by a sponsor. Hope that helps!
Reply 62
Original post by rachelp1992
I'm a second year undergraduate BA English Language and I will be starting my third year in September, I am really thinking about applying for postgraduate degree in speech therapy. But there is so much stuff to read the main thing I wanted to know is if I can apply for next years intake even though my degree won't be finished/get my result until next summer.
Thanks

Hi rachelp1992,

Yes, some universities will accept applicants who don't yet have degrees. The last I heard was that Sheffield do, and I think possibly Essex too (?). I would say it's worth looking at the unis websites and sending off some e-mails to find out. Good luck!
Reply 63
Original post by funkymama
Hi I'm not sure whether they wait until the closing date before responding or on receipt of the application. I think I've almost managed to talk myself out if it 😄 do you know how many places Reading, City and UCL have? I think they must have quite a few applicants for each place. I have very little adult experience so I might have a look over the summer and see what I can do. I will have a look and see what they recommend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Funkymama,

They don't usually respond before the closing date, except Essex, who don't specify a closing date (at least this year and in previous years they didn't).

Reading this year had 11 funded places, UCL had 50, and City had around 80. I don't know how many applications the latter two get, but Reading is around 400.

I think they are all pretty competitive, so to broaden your chances of getting a place I think it's probably best to apply to a few if possible.
Reply 64
Hi there,

Does anyone know if you need to upload A level certificates for the Reading application? Or if a degree certificate etc is enough?

Reply 65
Original post by kelseyg
Does anyone know if you need to upload A level certificates for the Reading application? Or if a degree certificate etc is enough?

I've uploaded mine, figure better safe than sorry.
Reply 66
Does anyone know how many places Reading has in total, not just the funded ones? Or is that it, just 11 people on the course completely?

-Edit 22/09: Found out for certain that yes, there are just 10 places for 2014 entry. Any 'self-funded' applicants are rare and there isn't space for a whole load of self-funded applicants.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by AnnieV
I've uploaded mine, figure better safe than sorry.

Okay thanks

Does anyone also know how long the UCL statement can be?
Reply 68
Hi Guys! I will be starting the postgraduate course at City in 2014. I have been applying for a couple of years now and I have finally been offered a place after being on many waiting lists :smile:! I wish time would hurry up, I can't wait to start finally. I'm thinking of starting a Facebook group for those who have been accepted to start at City in 2014 already. I know it's a little early haha, but if there are any others that were on the waiting this year but are starting for 2014... give me a shout :biggrin:

Natalie
Reply 69
Original post by AnnieV
Does anyone know how many places Reading has in total, not just the funded ones? Or is that it, just 11 people on the course completely?

Hi,

I'm starting the course at Reading this year and we have been told there are some international students also coming on the course, but not how many.
Ok, I'm going to sound like a complete dim wit! Is a university transcript just your degree certificate or is it a list of courses you've taken?

:redface:
Reply 71
Original post by kelseyg
Okay thanks

Does anyone also know how long the UCL statement can be?

Is the UCL app open now then?
Original post by mh595

Not until 1st October
Reply 73
Original post by paperlily3
I'm starting the course at Reading this year and we have been told there are some international students also coming on the course, but not how many.

Darnit. I just can't work out if it means that they're only taking 11 people, or if you're number 12 then you have to cover the fees yourself.
Reply 74
Original post by mh595

I was just hoping to start writing it as I go travelling on the 21st of sept for 3 months eek! But saving drafts of everything on drop box so fingers crossed it's all okay!
Reply 75
Original post by mh595
Can you remember when the application was available to start working on?

I believe it was some time in October. I submitted at the end of October. THe due date was in November.
Reply 76
Hi all, Anyone else had/having a interview at Greenwich for the post grad diploma? Wondered if anyone knows when they will let us know! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 77
Am sure they said the week of the October half term. Half term is from the 28th.
Reply 78
Original post by momiboyz
Am sure they said the week of the October half term. Half term is from the 28th.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone!

Firstly thank you for all the useful information that people have been posting - its been a real help, if also at times incredibly daunting/makes me realise how much I need to do!

I just wanted to ask about people who do slt-related volunteering at the weekends, or know of any SLT courses that are scheduled at weekends?

I ask because I currently have a full time job as an LSA, and the one on one nature of the work makes it near impossible for me to request any time off.

Although my job gives me really good experience for applications (I work with two autistic spectrum children with communication problems - I'm actually attending SLT appointments with both of them tomorrow!) I am concerned that this may not be "enough" for my personal statememt , especially considering I have no experience working with adults and looking at how much work people on here have already done!

I'm looking to apply to UCL, City, Essex and possibly Reading.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Latest