The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucas.
Yep. :smile: I have three Maths lessons a week. One of them I do Decision, and the other two I do Core 1, and I'll eventually move onto Core 2. :smile:

Out of everyone I've spoken to at my college, I seem to be one of the only people doing Decision. All the people that took Further Maths have to do Mechanics, and all the Physicists are doing Mechanics too. Nobody is doing Stats (that I know of). :tongue:

You may be rather lonely in your class then :tongue: I'm doing Stats, I have all the non-Physicists with me. There are quite a few people at my school who are doing Maths alongside humanities subjects as a nice break from essay-writing, so they all took Stats. I don't think we start S1 'til we've finished C1; I fast-tracked Maths AS last year (though I only actually did the C1 exam), and to be honest it is an enjoyable course. Some of the advanced topics are very daunting at first, but you do grow to love them all :smile:
Reply 4841
Hey guys, I have a few questions/problems about year 12, I started last week.

Basically I am having trouble organising myself as I am not sure how to go about it, I have a ring binder for each subject and am starting to fill it with my notes from class however my notes from class are pretty messy (Pages with only a few lines on, speed written and note form for example) and I feel like to be on top of my subjects I need a really neat system to use if anyone could suggest one (Sorry I am a bit OCD yes :tongue: )

On top of this I am having trouble adjusting to the whole "Do your own studying outside of lessons" thing. At GCSE I did very little revision so I am determined to work hard from the start of my AS levels but I feel like I don't know what to be studying outside of lessons in privates/free periods and at home. My school recommend 4 hours per subject per week outside of lessons and excluding homework, however they don't specify what to do and I seem to be finding myself sat down staring at messy notes and not really knowing what to do. Can anyone offer any advice on that front? sorry for the long post and thanks :smile:
Original post by LeFailFish
A PORTABLE CD PLAYER?? Now THAT is taking things to the extreme. :eek::eek:

I have a folder per subject - so 4, but I never have more than 3 subjects in a day this year - and a textbook per subject. I also have an exercise book for maths but that only goes in when the folder doesn't, and I have a workbook for chemistry but that's light so I don't count it. Aside from that I just need my pencil case, planner, maths kit, calculator, food, normal stuff like a wallet, phone, keys and ipod, and my PE kit on Wednesdays. Which isn't too bad, all things considered! :biggrin:

I am going to look so cool :biggrin: I can have so much fun on the train with it! I have a textbook per subject, but two for History, it's just crazy. I have folders but they're staying at home :') I have no room in my bag for them. I have a ringbinder that I sometimes have to bring in for History so that our teachers can check that we're documenting our work properly - we're year twelve, not year seven, I'm sure we can quite easily organise it ourselves :tongue: We don't do PE any more, I feel very lucky! Do you have lockers?
Original post by Choppie
Well, first of all, I would strongly suggest having lever-arch folders at home - ring binders will not hold enough, and are easily broken.

For the folder you take into school/college with you, however, a ring binder is a good idea because of its relatively small size. Only carry what you are currently working on in it, and leave at home what you don't need for that day. Usually, I only use one folder to take work in to school/college, and just split it into my subjects with file dividers. Unless you're taking essay-based subjects, I see no reason to need more than one of these "day folders" in your bag, as that would start becoming unnecessarily heavy.

If your school/college is wanting one "day folder" for each subject, I would think that they're being slightly ridiculous. Are you sure they didn't mean one folder per subject to be kept at home?

Also, it may be best to keep a ring binder at home just in case the one you take into school/college breaks. Then your work isn't a mess for a few days while you try to get a new one.

Thank you, that all seems logical. I asked again today, and they do want one folder for each subject that you bring into school, it does seem ridiculous, I will go with it for now but see how the year pans out.
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
I am going to look so cool :biggrin: I can have so much fun on the train with it! I have a textbook per subject, but two for History, it's just crazy. I have folders but they're staying at home :') I have no room in my bag for them. I have a ringbinder that I sometimes have to bring in for History so that our teachers can check that we're documenting our work properly - we're year twelve, not year seven, I'm sure we can quite easily organise it ourselves :tongue: We don't do PE any more, I feel very lucky! Do you have lockers?

You take the train to school?? That's pretty awesome actually :biggrin: and yeah you probably will look cool! :tongue: When it gets to revising at the end of the year I'll have 2 textbooks per science and three for maths... but I'm trying not to think about organising all that just yet. I know, our teachers check that we're organising our stuff proerply as well - and they inist that it all has to go in a certain order, which is annoying because I would rather organise my work so that I know where it is - it's my work, not theirs! But ah well, it's only two years... :angry:

You are lucky! I wish it wasn't still mandatory at my school. Speaking of which, double fitness tomorrow :eek: I am going to collapse. I have lost so much fitness over the past few weeks it's unbelievable. There are lovkers available at my school, yes, but you have to pay to hire them and I have no job :frown: so no money. I'm not sure I would pay for one anyway, it isn't realy necessary to spend money on it.
Original post by cmorga1
Hey guys, I have a few questions/problems about year 12, I started last week.

Basically I am having trouble organising myself as I am not sure how to go about it, I have a ring binder for each subject and am starting to fill it with my notes from class however my notes from class are pretty messy (Pages with only a few lines on, speed written and note form for example) and I feel like to be on top of my subjects I need a really neat system to use if anyone could suggest one (Sorry I am a bit OCD yes :tongue: )

On top of this I am having trouble adjusting to the whole "Do your own studying outside of lessons" thing. At GCSE I did very little revision so I am determined to work hard from the start of my AS levels but I feel like I don't know what to be studying outside of lessons in privates/free periods and at home. My school recommend 4 hours per subject per week outside of lessons and excluding homework, however they don't specify what to do and I seem to be finding myself sat down staring at messy notes and not really knowing what to do. Can anyone offer any advice on that front? sorry for the long post and thanks :smile:

Hi!! :biggrin:

There isn't really one amazing system that works for everyone - I know it sounds annoying being told this, but you need to use whatever works for you. At my school, we are told to take notes in lessons then copy them up neatly and onto one page outside of school, to avoid the problem of messy handwriting and very little of a page being used. This takes time, but the copying out process is a great time to check that you know and understand everything that you copied down in the lesson! That way, anything you don't understand you can look up or ask the teacher about. You can also look up extra facts about anything you are interested in - this isn't essential, but it keeps you interested in the subject and may very well help you scrape extra marks in coursework or exams.

Outside of school, revise around the subject that you were covering in that subject lesson before, OR the subject that you were set to research for homework. Whichever you prefer. Just go over everything, answer questions on it, read articles online relating to the subject... anything and everything, it all helps. If you're really stuck on what to revise, ask your teacher what area of your work needs improving and then work on that! They may also be able to recommend websites related to the subjects you are studying for you to browse for your revision.

Good luck - we've all got the same problems at the moment, so you're not alone!! :hugs:
And quickly, is anyone else tackling any university open days this year? I'm going to Leeds this weekend as Durham next (might as well be ambitious!), and I went to Manchester last year. I know it seems early, but it would be useful to have course content etc in mind when writing my personal statement next summer :smile:
Reply 4847
Original post by LeFailFish
Hi!! :biggrin:

There isn't really one amazing system that works for everyone - I know it sounds annoying being told this, but you need to use whatever works for you. At my school, we are told to take notes in lessons then copy them up neatly and onto one page outside of school, to avoid the problem of messy handwriting and very little of a page being used. This takes time, but the copying out process is a great time to check that you know and understand everything that you copied down in the lesson! That way, anything you don't understand you can look up or ask the teacher about. You can also look up extra facts about anything you are interested in - this isn't essential, but it keeps you interested in the subject and may very well help you scrape extra marks in coursework or exams.

Outside of school, revise around the subject that you were covering in that subject lesson before, OR the subject that you were set to research for homework. Whichever you prefer. Just go over everything, answer questions on it, read articles online relating to the subject... anything and everything, it all helps. If you're really stuck on what to revise, ask your teacher what area of your work needs improving and then work on that! They may also be able to recommend websites related to the subjects you are studying for you to browse for your revision.

Good luck - we've all got the same problems at the moment, so you're not alone!! :hugs:

Thanks very much! :biggrin:

The copying up notes suggestion sounds really useful, i'll have to get copying right away haha, thanks for the revision tips too :smile:
And quickly, is anyone else tackling any university open days this year? I'm going to Leeds this weekend as Durham next (might as well be ambitious!), and I went to Manchester last year. I know it seems early, but it would be useful to have course content etc in mind when writing my personal statement next summer :smile:

I'm going into London in about 3 weeks as there is an American uni expo thing going on, apparently there will be representatives from all the main colleges so it should be a good opportunity, i'm going to inquire about MIT (Massechutses institute of technology) :biggrin:
Reply 4849

Off to Nottingham this weekend :smile:

I'm guessing you're allowed in year 11 to go round them? Not like they'll know though!

I hadn't even thought about it but then today some girls were talking about it at school and I was like, oh my god do I really need to think about that yet?! It seems too early but it's probably sensible as otherwise you'll have to wait until the summer.
Reply 4851
Hello for those of you who haven't seen my message there are now Separate Threads for each of the 3 sciences :h:

Biology: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2461143&p=44441820
Chemistry: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2461559&p=44438990
Physics: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2462217

There's also a maths one that's been on for ages if nobody was aware :h:

Maths: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2401236
Is it bad that I don't totally hate The Wanted's new song? :frown:
Reply 4853
Original post by techno836
Hello for those of you who haven't seen my message there are now Separate Threads for each of the 3 sciences :h:

Biology: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2461143&p=44441820
Chemistry: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2461559&p=44438990
Physics: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2462217

There's also a maths one that's been on for ages if nobody was aware :h:

Maths: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2401236

And now my post count will increase very rapidly :lol:
Reply 4854
Original post by Tibbz2
And now my post count will increase very rapidly :lol:

Haha :lol:

Original post by SophieB1997
Is it bad that I don't totally hate The Wanted's new song? :frown:

I haven't heard it so i won't judge :biggrin:
Original post by techno836
Haha :lol:

I haven't heard it so i won't judge :biggrin:

Generally I hate all those boyband types, except Lawson, but it sounds a bit different and I can see it's gonna get stuck in my head.
Reply 4856
Original post by SophieB1997
Generally I hate all those boyband types, except Lawson, but it sounds a bit different and I can see it's gonna get stuck in my head.

Haha :smile: i'll let you know when i've heard it :h:
Reply 4857
You may be rather lonely in your class then :tongue: I'm doing Stats, I have all the non-Physicists with me. There are quite a few people at my school who are doing Maths alongside humanities subjects as a nice break from essay-writing, so they all took Stats. I don't think we start S1 'til we've finished C1; I fast-tracked Maths AS last year (though I only actually did the C1 exam), and to be honest it is an enjoyable course. Some of the advanced topics are very daunting at first, but you do grow to love them all :smile:

Nahh, everyone in my class does Decision. :smile: There's about 20 of us.. Only 5 boys including me... Ahh I'm glad you enjoyed C1, It's given me hope for when I start C1 on Thursday, because D1 (at the moment anyway) is so easy... It's almost too easy.

NOTE FOR EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD THAT DOES MEI MATHS (THIS MAY OR MAY NOT BE USEFUL BUT I AM TELLING YOU ANYWAY): My Decision teacher is such a lad, after every lesson he emails us a Powerpoint file of everything he wrote on the whiteboard during the lesson, and sticks on our homework at the end - just incase we forgot it... :tongue: I've attached the file I received today. If it's of any use or you think it might be useful, let me know (just PM me/quote me in this thread) and I'll upload the work from my most recent lesson. :smile:

Edit: Regarding the powerpoint file, it was only our first lesson, and most of the work we didn't do on the board, but there is still some useful stuff in there anyway. Future lessons will obviously have more intensive work. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4858
It's the closest RG uni to me so I'm quite interested in it!

What are you thinking of studying? :smile:
Original post by iJess
I'm not doing maths or sciences but before in school I used to count down the minutes till the end of lessons but now I'm in year 12 I look at my watch and am like oh gosh it's nearly end of the lesson already. I love my subjects and my lessons seem to go so fast!

I'm exactly the same! :h:

Latest