The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Hi All,

I sat the ukcat today and got 680 band 1. So bummed as I think this might not be enough for undergrad entry let alone GEP?? Has anyone here tried the bmat? What was your experience of it? Are there some unis which don't use an exam cut-off score as their sole discriminant?

Thanks ,

Vee
Original post by confuzzledvee
Hi All,

I sat the ukcat today and got 680 band 1. So bummed as I think this might not be enough for undergrad entry let alone GEP?? Has anyone here tried the bmat? What was your experience of it? Are there some unis which don't use an exam cut-off score as their sole discriminant?

Thanks ,

Vee

BMAT is an all together different exam. In my opinion it can be prepared for especially the science section which is advanced GCSE science bordering AS, and the essay which is usually based on an everyday topic eg Science, Economics and Ethics. The first section can be tough it has problem solving and critical thinking elements. You can improve on that in many ways but there is a degree of skill and that sections lends itself a bit more to 'smart' people, if you are like me it can be tough.

I did it last year and actually did well in section 1 and 3 but not so well into section 2 which was the science one :colondollar: narrowly missed Imperials cut off :frown:
Reply 202
Does anyone know how graduates are selected for in terms of UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 203
Hey guys,

I've got a UCAS tariff of 694. What would I need in the UKCAT to get an interview? (roughly speaking)
Reply 204
Original post by KerryMan
Hey guys,

I've got a UCAS tariff of 694. What would I need in the UKCAT to get an interview? (roughly speaking)

Woah! With a score like that, based on last year you would need around 600.
Original post by James!!
Does anyone know how graduates are selected for in terms of UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently once you pass the initial academic assessment (upper second threshold), you get ranked by UKCAT and the top x% are invited to attend interview.

Ref: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf
Reply 206
Original post by KanKan
Woah! With a score like that, based on last year you would need around 600.

Alright, that's great, thanks. :biggrin: What kind of interview do Barts and the London do? Is it MMIs or the traditional format?
What do people think of my chances?

UCAS Tariff: 660

A*A*A*A*B (bio, chem maths, psychology,general studies respectively)

UKCAT: 682.5
Reply 208
Original post by science-oliver

Your very high tariff gives you a good chance of getting in. Last year, an example they gave as a candidate selected for interview was 620 UCAS and 605 UKCAT. You've exceeded both these by a fair amount. I would say you're 99.99% safe in applying :smile:
I am predicted 4A* so UCAS tariff is 560. My UKCAT score is 635. Should I apply or not? Plus if I take AS language exam privately who do u think I need to ask to predict that grade?
Predicted UCAS Tariff: 450 (A*A*Ab). Might do an EPQ
UKCAT: 735

Do I stand a chance?
Reply 211
Original post by science-oliver

You have a very strong application imho.

Original post by jollygood
I am predicted 4A* so UCAS tariff is 560. My UKCAT score is 635. Should I apply or not? Plus if I take AS language exam privately who do u think I need to ask to predict that grade?

With a low score of 635, your interview prospects do not look very good :/ However, if you get your AS lang predicted to an A, that will take your UCAS to 620, which means you will likely be interviewed, (based on last year's stats)

Original post by TheBestDon
Predicted UCAS Tariff: 450 (A*A*Ab). Might do an EPQ
UKCAT: 735

Do I stand a chance?

Your chances don't look very good right now, as last year someone with a UCAS tariff of 460 needed 793 for an interview. However, if you do an EPQ and get it predicted A*, you would have a UCAS tariff of 520, and so would be more likely to get an interview. However, I do not know if a predicted EPQ gets UCAS points that are counted, so I've emailed them (need to know too :P) and will keep you updated with any reply.

You guys should check out the stats posted on the first post of this thread, and email the admissions department with an queries. Hope I helped though :smile:
Reply 212
what do u think?
tariff 610 predicted A*A*A at a2, aaaaa at as, fsmq a and epq A* achieved 2 yrs early.

ukcat avg. 725

should i apply? :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
I have UCAS tariff of 480/490 and UKCAT average of 730. Do you think it's safe to apply here?
Reply 214
Not safe, but have some chances.
hi everyone, with a ukcat of 740 what would be the UCAS tariff needed roughly?
Reply 216
Original post by KanKan
You have a very strong application imho.

With a low score of 635, your interview prospects do not look very good :/ However, if you get your AS lang predicted to an A, that will take your UCAS to 620, which means you will likely be interviewed, (based on last year's stats)

Your chances don't look very good right now, as last year someone with a UCAS tariff of 460 needed 793 for an interview. However, if you do an EPQ and get it predicted A*, you would have a UCAS tariff of 520, and so would be more likely to get an interview. However, I do not know if a predicted EPQ gets UCAS points that are counted, so I've emailed them (need to know too :P) and will keep you updated with any reply.

You guys should check out the stats posted on the first post of this thread, and email the admissions department with an queries. Hope I helped though :smile:

KanKan you seem to know so much about QM it would make my day if you were able to tell me
Do you think a UCAS tariff of 540 with a UKCAT of 670 is too risky ? :redface:
(I could possibly do a last minute EPQ which could ghet me 60 UCAS points for an A)
Reply 217
How is UCAS tariff worked is it AS+A2 results or Just A2 predictions?
If I got A*AAab what would my tariff be?
hey guys, tariff of 560 and 675 UKCAT. worth applying?
Hey guys, Ucas tariff of 530 and UKCAT 678 is it worth applying? predicted A*A*A and I have 6 A* and 5 A's GCSE. This is my first choice uni aswell :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending