The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Does anybody know if Uni's/colleges will accept Religious Studies as my National curriculum subject?
My subjects are Business Studies, Sociology and Religious Studies

Has anyone had exeprience of getting onto a Primary course with similar A-Levels? I
Thanks
Barry
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Barry2011
Does anybody know if Uni's/colleges will accept Religious Studies as my National curriculum subject?
My subjects are Business Studies, Sociology and Religious Studies

Has anyone had exeprience of getting onto a Primary course with similar A-Levels? I
Thanks
Barry

Are you thinking of studying RS at University then?

As long as you had good experience and can demonstrate what you learnt then I don't see why not. I'm applying for Primary PGCE this year and my degree subject is Psychology.
Reply 442
Original post by ChelseyElla
Are you thinking of studying RS at University then?

As long as you had good experience and can demonstrate what you learnt then I don't see why not. I'm applying for Primary PGCE this year and my degree subject is Psychology.

I meant Primary Education. (Primary school teacher)

Regards
Barry
I meant Primary Education. (Primary school teacher)

Regards
Barry

Are you wanting to do an undergrad degree in Primary Education instead of a PGCE then?
Reply 444
Are you wanting to do an undergrad degree in Primary Education instead of a PGCE then?

Yep.
Yep.

This thread is for PGCE applications so you'll be better checking out the Undergrad Education forums

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=639
In terms of our references - I've been aware for a while that we now need two, one being academic, the other personal. I will get the academic one from uni, obviously, but don't know about the personal one. I've been on the UCAS website, and it just says it should be someone from work OR someone who can comment on how you would be suited to teaching. So who could you ask if you didn't have a job? I would assume you couldn't ask friends or family, so I don't know?

I do have a job, but I really don't want to ask my boss. She's really unreliable with things, and she will most likely shout at me for asking her to do it, because that's what she's like. She's also not very good with computers which makes me worry she wouldn't be able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A few questions I hope someone can answer, ro at least make an educated guess at: D
Does anyone have any idea of roughly when interviews will be held for those of us applying right away in november?

ANd how much notice do you get if you are invited to interview? Days? Weeks?

And historically speaking, does every uni have them at about the same time?

I'm living overseas, so it'd be nice to have a bit of advance warning so I can plan my time off work and flights. And ideally, if I'm asked to interview at more than one place, it'd be good to be able to go to them during one trip, rather than two (or more...) seperate ones.
Original post by SharpyShuffle
A few questions I hope someone can answer, ro at least make an educated guess at: D
Does anyone have any idea of roughly when interviews will be held for those of us applying right away in november?

ANd how much notice do you get if you are invited to interview? Days? Weeks?

And historically speaking, does every uni have them at about the same time?

I'm living overseas, so it'd be nice to have a bit of advance warning so I can plan my time off work and flights. And ideally, if I'm asked to interview at more than one place, it'd be good to be able to go to them during one trip, rather than two (or more...) seperate ones.

Probably not what you want to hear but it will really depend on the uni. Some will give you 4 days notice, some will give you three weeks. I applied right at the start last year and my first interview was in December (applications opened late oct) but there were others who had them two weeks after applying. No one can really predict it I'm afraid. I would say interviews are roughly between November and early feb. But that's clearly such a wide window it won't be of any help to you :redface:.
Original post by Airfairy
In terms of our references - I've been aware for a while that we now need two, one being academic, the other personal. I will get the academic one from uni, obviously, but don't know about the personal one. I've been on the UCAS website, and it just says it should be someone from work OR someone who can comment on how you would be suited to teaching. So who could you ask if you didn't have a job? I would assume you couldn't ask friends or family, so I don't know?

I do have a job, but I really don't want to ask my boss. She's really unreliable with things, and she will most likely shout at me for asking her to do it, because that's what she's like. She's also not very good with computers which makes me worry she wouldn't be able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People tend to use someone from work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was planning on using a teacher at the school I volunteer at.
Reply 451
Original post by ballroombabe
Hi everyone! I'll be applying for my PGCE in secondary History for the 2014 cycle :smile: I'm thinking of apply to Reading and Exeter and maybe York as well :smile: Anyone else doing the same?
Yes but applying for Cardiff and maybe Swansea Met.
Original post by Shelly_x
People tend to use someone from work experience.

I was planning on using a teacher at the school I volunteer at.

Yeah I was considering that until it said that it has to be the headteacher if you are getting someone for your work experience. I hadn't said a word to the headteacher at any of my schools so I find it a bit strange! Also, the main place I did my work exp at has burnt down recently. I feel kinda bad contacting the head about a reference at a time like this.
Hey guys, am I right to think that the application process has changed from being on GTTR to being on the UCAS site this time?
Reply 454
Original post by StandardUsername
Hey guys, am I right to think that the application process has changed from being on GTTR to being on the UCAS site this time?

Yep, it is changing, hopefully will update their page later this month!

As for references, Head teacher makes sense, because your placement should technically be based upon their go ahead. If you can't do this, perhaps find a professional family friend, or go for your manager...

I finally got through to the head of my nearest high school and I'm meeting him on Friday to discuss observing and volunteering, which I'm quite excited
about. From what I have heard, they are quite short staffed, and I got the impression on the phone that the head was keen to take me up on my offer!
Stop talking about interviews, making me far too nervous! Wish i had one for my undergrad now!
Reply 456
Yeah I was considering that until it said that it has to be the headteacher if you are getting someone for your work experience. I hadn't said a word to the headteacher at any of my schools so I find it a bit strange! Also, the main place I did my work exp at has burnt down recently. I feel kinda bad contacting the head about a reference at a time like this.

Although it would be the head it might be more appropriate for a teacher who knows you to actually fill in the reference. For example, the head of my unis education department sends out all references, but the person who actually writes them is the tutor who knows you. So you could ask the teacher to write you a reference and say it will have to come through the head, then just ask the head of it's ok to put her as a reference, and that the teacher has already agreed to write said reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Although it would be the head it might be more appropriate for a teacher who knows you to actually fill in the reference. For example, the head of my unis education department sends out all references, but the person who actually writes them is the tutor who knows you. So you could ask the teacher to write you a reference and say it will have to come through the head, then just ask the head of it's ok to put her as a reference, and that the teacher has already agreed to write said reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I see what you mean. Still it's a bit awkward really because I have been at two schools, and like I said I don't want to bother one at the moment, and the other I only went to for two days and I don't think she got to know me very well. I guess I will end up asking my boss, but oh well. Doesn't matter. I might ask the place I was at for two days, or do you think that is sort of asking too much?

:redface: Are you sure it has to be a headteacher? If it does then I'm screwed for my second reference as I don't have anyone else who would do it (if it can't be the teacher I work for)
:redface: Are you sure it has to be a headteacher? If it does then I'm screwed for my second reference as I don't have anyone else who would do it (if it can't be the teacher I work for)

I'm just going off what I read on here.

"If either reference comes from a school in which the applicant has worked or done observation it should come from the Headteacher." :dontknow:

Like someone above has said, you might be best asking the teacher to write it but telling the teacher it needs to go through the head. I may end up doing that.

Latest

Trending

Trending