The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by angelooo
Hey! I'm going to Aberdeen too and I'm not huge on going out and getting drunk every night. I do like to go clubbing, but not as often as a lot of other people, haha. What are you going to be studying? :smile:

i'm going to aberdeen too! where will you be staying? :smile:
Reply 681
Original post by n.kay
i'm going to aberdeen too! where will you be staying? :smile:

I'm local, so I'm living at home to save up for a flat for next year :smile:. What about you? What are you studying?
Reply 682
Original post by GingerShortcake
Haha :smile:. I think I'm just going to buy live and loud when I get there if there are any left and I can see what others are doing :smile:

Hey, are you going to York? I'm going to study biology at York! :smile: I found out that they'd sold out of the comedy night tickets yesterday so I bought one for Live and Loud in a bit of a panic haha. Oh well, I do want to go, I just hope I know some others that are going to it by then :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 683
Original post by constantmeowage
WELCOME!! :smile: :woo::happy2:

Surely I can't be the only non-drinker going to uni this year? Not putting down those that do, of course, live and let live and all that, but just to make me feel a little more secure, I thought we teetotallers/occasional drinkers could do with our little corner of the forum for Freshers this year.

Please keep me company, I have orange juice. :tongue: :biggrin:

grape juice or non-alcoholic wine :biggrin: <3
Original post by em_cart
Hey, are you going to York? I'm going to study biology at York! :smile: I found out that they'd sold out of the comedy night tickets yesterday so I bought one for Live and Loud in a bit of a panic haha. Oh well, I do want to go, I just hope I know some others that are going to it by then :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep:smile: Which college are you? I'm still deciding whether to buy one or not!!
Anyone going to Bristol?
Original post by MathsNerd1
Very nice! And I'm not sure, they all seem interesting but I think I want to see one of the movie screenings and the comedy night too, not too sure if I'll go to the finale either

hey i'm also planning on going to the Star Trek screening, I was in the film club last year and they did show some pretty awesome films :biggrin:
Original post by physicsfanatic1
hey i'm also planning on going to the Star Trek screening, I was in the film club last year and they did show some pretty awesome films :biggrin:

Awesome! You might just see me there although Star Trek isn't really my thing :tongue:
Reply 688
Original post by frappe framboise
Are any of you kindred-spirits going to King's College London?

I'm truly dreading Fresher's Week, what with not being a drinker and having never been to a club in my life (and don't wish to!) me thinks I'll end up hiding in my room thus becoming a recluse...

Oh woe is me! :sad:

Original post by londonrose23
I'm studying Mathematics. :smile:
I am planning to survive freshers with ear plugs, tumblr and a Harry potter marathon. No alcohol for me.
How about you?

Original post by B182NP44
Heyy there, I'm going King's. I have never been clubbing either and I don't drink. I am finding the thought of going to Fresher's very scary.. I would literally be standing there not having a clue what to do :frown:

Oh, hey, fellow KCL non-partygoers! May I join the club? (Although I'm the first guy here... Weird.)

Having been through Freshers once and flirted with the idea of just 'going along with it', I can assure you that, if you really don't want to go clubbing, you really shouldn't. If you're shy, or nervous, or something like that, yeah, sure, go if you want, it'll be fine. But if you genuinely don't want to go, just, don't. You'll just be standing there thinking '... The hell am I doing here?' and wish it were over already. Let's face it: you most likely won't have an incredibly interesting conversation at a nightclub, and if you try pretending, you may be successful for a while, but you'll have to drop the act eventually.

Having said that, I can tell you that Freshers Week is only a big deal for those for whom it is planned. They'll have a great time and remember it fondly, and will continue clubbing with people they met. But for most other people, it really doesn't have much use besides settling in.

Although I like drinking somewhat (if you can call a bit of Kahlúa, wine, or cider drinking, anyway), I dread nightclubs and such, so this time I guess I'll try my luck with the quieter events and see if I can find others for video game nights (Mario Kart can beat any nightclub any day). I really don't think I'll do anything other than that.

Oh, and londonrose23, I'll be doing Maths too! (Well, Maths and Philosophy.) Nice to meet you! What is everyone else doing?

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 689
Huge grin on my face when I saw this thread. I do have a drink every now and then, but only one or two, I'm not a big "drinker".
Reply 690
anyone here going to northampton??
Reply 691
Original post by angelooo
I'm local, so I'm living at home to save up for a flat for next year :smile:. What about you? What are you studying?

ah nice, i'll be staying at johnston which is on campus :smile:
i'm studying geology & petroleum geology! you?
Reply 692
Anyone going southampton solent?
Reply 693
Original post by GingerShortcake
Yep:smile: Which college are you? I'm still deciding whether to buy one or not!!

I'm in James. How about you? And what's your subject? :smile: Starting to feel a bit nervous about freshers week now. Can't believe it's so soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by em_cart
I'm in James. How about you? And what's your subject? :smile: Starting to feel a bit nervous about freshers week now. Can't believe it's so soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Derwent doing environmental geography. Same!!
Reply 695
Original post by Pinkhead
Me!

FINALLY! Been looking for others for ages haha! So I'm going to assume you're not getting a wristband?
No one going to Surrey? :tongue: Although, I did see people on the Facebook page who had similar concerns, so it should be fine :smile:
Original post by QuentinM
Anyone here from Exeter? I don't drink much (ok, pretty much at all...unless its weak), and I'm a bit worried. Just a bit. Not too much...

I'm going to Exeter too! I only drink very occasionally and don't like clubbing at all. What are you studying?
Original post by Treacle2
I'm not alone!!! yay!!!! although slightly nervous about freshers week .... seems like I wont make friends easy cos everyone else will drink. university of York anyone??

Just seen this - I'm going to York too! I don't drink much and don't like clubbing so I'm quite nervous about freshers too. Which course and college? I'm doing English and in James. :tongue:
Original post by em_cart

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not alone!!!! Sorry, I'm going to York as well and I'm in James college too!!! Which block are you in. I'm nervous about freshers as well. I'm doing English, you? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending