The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Pretty irritating that UKCAT is worth as much as academic attainment in the selection process. Where does the personal statement come into the equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 141
Original post by James!!
Pretty irritating that UKCAT is worth as much as academic attainment in the selection process. Where does the personal statement come into the equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are 1 point away from getting an automatic interview (last year it was those with 56 points) then they score your personal statement out of 30 and those with the highest get interviews too.

Original post by _sparks
Does Leicester accept GCSE retakes for english language?

Email them.
Reply 142
Original post by k1rby
If you are 1 point away from getting an automatic interview (last year it was those with 56 points) then they score your personal statement out of 30 and those with the highest get interviews too.

Thanks, that's quite helpful. I'm currently at 55/60 and not sure whether it would be worth applying, seems like a bit of a gamble not knowing whether it will change for this years cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 143
Original post by James!!
Thanks, that's quite helpful. I'm currently at 55/60 and not sure whether it would be worth applying, seems like a bit of a gamble not knowing whether it will change for this years cycle.

Last year that would have been an automatic rejection but each cycle it varies! If Leicester is one of your top choices then it could be worth the risk - that's up to you.
Reply 144
Original post by panjabiflower
so would I be ok appying with with the biology??
Also, do they take into consideration the individual sections of the ukcat or just the overall score?

cheers :smile:

Email them - we can only speculate. They only look at the overall UKCAT score.
(also be sure to click quote so that people can see when you respond)

Original post by panjabiflower
Also, just a quick question.... for st Georges uni they say they want AAAb in fourth AS level...

can i still apply with A*AAB does the B in the full Alevel count as the b??

Post this in the st. georges thread.

Original post by minhle20
Hi guys, I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to be applying here. I'm a reapplicant.

Here are my stats
GCSE: 5A* 3A 1B
A Level: A*AAA
UKCAT: 3080, Band 2

Welcome to the club!
Reply 145
It doesn't seem like many grads are applying here?

The scoring system can be a bit "weird" They changed it to out of 25 now. I score 16/17

last year people said they got interviewed and some even got offers with 19/30?

seems confusing, but am still applying here...I think :tongue: all depend on my GAMSAT :biggrin:
I score 26 points academically + 3 points for 3 As at AS (maths, bio and chem) and on top of that my UCKAT was 815 so I'll get 30 points for that. 59/60 makes me quite confident to apply here!
Reply 147
Original post by Ama2007
It doesn't seem like many grads are applying here?

The scoring system can be a bit "weird" They changed it to out of 25 now. I score 16/17

last year people said they got interviewed and some even got offers with 19/30?

seems confusing, but am still applying here...I think :tongue: all depend on my GAMSAT :biggrin:

It's because this thread is more so for those applying to the A100 course (5 year) which is in the thread name. Those applying for the 4 year course are more than welcome here though!

Edit: I've added A101 to the thread name to officially welcome the graduates. :tongue:

Original post by AdamskiUK
I score 26 points academically + 3 points for 3 As at AS (maths, bio and chem) and on top of that my UCKAT was 815 so I'll get 30 points for that. 59/60 makes me quite confident to apply here!

If you weren't confident, we'd need an intervention! Well done on the amazing UKCAT score :eek:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by k1rby
If you weren't confident, we'd need an intervention! Well done on the amazing UKCAT score :eek:

:biggrin: Thanks a lot. It was quite unexpected, but I'm grateful for it. It severely makes up for my relatively poor GCSEs (2 A*s and 7-9 As (depending on how we look at some of these silly vocational courses that are worth 2 As), not to mention the B and E grades!)

Still, I wouldn't put it past Leicester to bump it up to 60 on the year I apply with my bad luck.

Also, do you know if 57 gave a *definite* interview last year?
Reply 149
Original post by AdamskiUK
:biggrin: Thanks a lot. It was quite unexpected, but I'm grateful for it. It severely makes up for my relatively poor GCSEs (2 A*s and 7-9 As (depending on how we look at some of these silly vocational courses that are worth 2 As), not to mention the B and E grades!)

Still, I wouldn't put it past Leicester to bump it up to 60 on the year I apply with my bad luck.

Also, do you know if 57 gave a *definite* interview last year?

Tchh they are great GCSEs - I got 2A* 6A 4B so don't diss yea :wink:

I know for a fact (I did a freedom of information request to them - see my original post for more detail) that 57 and above was an automatic interview. While those with 56 had their personal statements scored and the highest got the rest of the interview spaces. :smile:
Reply 150
I have a score of 58/60 (10A* 2A + AAAA and 2880), would this likely be secure for an interview? Hopefully 58 is not borderline this year as my PS is BS
Reply 151
Original post by KanKan
I have a score of 58/60 (10A* 2A + AAAA and 2880), would this likely be secure for an interview? Hopefully 58 is not borderline this year as my PS is BS

I had 58 last year and had an interview. I think the cut off for automatic interview was ~57. So you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152
Original post by PG593
Awesome thanks, still deciding on Leicester to be fair, not too confident about MMIs, are you a med student at Leicester? If so, how is the university socially and the med course as a whole? :smile:

Don't panic about MMIs. There were so many stations on the Leicester one that even if you think you have messed one (or two) up it won't affect your score massively.
Also if one goes wrong the next station is a totally different person so you don't need to let it affect your interview the same way it might in a panel :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Relating to the scoring system, The document titled 'How we score applications for the A100 Course 2014' reads as follows:

'An additional point for each A grade in the best 3 AS subjects including Chemistry, Biology and one other subject, up to the 30 points maximum total.'

'Additional points will be available for applicants who have already obtained A Levels. An additional point for each A* grade in the best 3 A Level subjects, including Chemistry, up to the 30 points maximum total... The AS results of applicants who have completed their A Levels will not be taken into account in the assessment of academic attainment.'

My GCSE scores would give me a total of 28/30 points and had I applied for 2013 entry with my AS results of AAAA I would have achieved the maximum 30 points, am I correct in my understanding that having completed my A levels with A*AAA I now only qualify for 29 points? If so, does anyone know the reasoning behind this?
Reply 154
Original post by Philippamalko
Relating to the scoring system, The document titled 'How we score applications for the A100 Course 2014' reads as follows:

'An additional point for each A grade in the best 3 AS subjects including Chemistry, Biology and one other subject, up to the 30 points maximum total.'

'Additional points will be available for applicants who have already obtained A Levels. An additional point for each A* grade in the best 3 A Level subjects, including Chemistry, up to the 30 points maximum total... The AS results of applicants who have completed their A Levels will not be taken into account in the assessment of academic attainment.'

My GCSE scores would give me a total of 28/30 points and had I applied for 2013 entry with my AS results of AAAA I would have achieved the maximum 30 points, am I correct in my understanding that having completed my A levels with A*AAA I now only qualify for 29 points? If so, does anyone know the reasoning behind this?

Yeah I'm afraid so, not sure why. Probably because everyone applying with their grades will have AAA or above, so I'm guessing to give an advantage to those with a bunch of A*s :smile:
Reply 155
Original post by KanKan

Last year those with 57 or higher scores got an automatic interview so even if it goes up by a point, you'd still get an interview. :smile:

Original post by Kirimin
I had 58 last year and had an interview. I think the cut off for automatic interview was ~57. So you should be fine :smile:

Are you going to Leicester this year? Because if you are then I will have some questions this time next year about freshers etc :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 156
Original post by k1rby

Are you going to Leicester this year? Because if you are then I will have some questions this time next year about freshers etc :tongue:

I am indeed :biggrin: leaving on the 22nd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
Original post by Kirimin
I am indeed :biggrin: leaving on the 22nd

You must be so excited! I know I am and I've got over a year more till I go. It's coupled up with emotions of 'what if I kill someone' and 'omg this is going to require so much effort' but mostly naive joy :tongue:
Reply 158
Original post by k1rby
You must be so excited! I know I am and I've got over a year more till I go. It's coupled up with emotions of 'what if I kill someone' and 'omg this is going to require so much effort' but mostly naive joy :tongue:

I can't wait!! :biggrin: but yeah I'm nervous too. Mostly I'm just bored of waiting. I did the IB so I finished mid may and got my results at the start of july, been soooooo long D:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Original post by Kirimin
I can't wait!! :biggrin: but yeah I'm nervous too. Mostly I'm just bored of waiting. I did the IB so I finished mid may and got my results at the start of july, been soooooo long D:

That's really handy, because you don't have the extra months of crying and emotional eating us A level guys go through, but gosh that boredom. You'll probably be wishing for that free time back when exams come around :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending