The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know how many applications get past the PS/reference stage at Manchester, before they check UKCAT?
I dont know which universities would give me a chance of an offer. At gcse I got 5a*s 4as and I got 3As and 1B at AS. In the ukcat I got 2380. please help me.
Reply 562
[INDENT] I really need some help, im currently an A level student but my results were a bit disappointing in the fact that I got AABC, (German, maths, biology and chem) In biology I was 1 mark of an A. I really do want to apply for medicine in Cardiff. I think I can get my predicted grades to be A*A*AB Hopefully persuade my chem teacher for an A) as that result was really unlike me. im resitting in jan both chemistries. I phoned the uni and they told me my personal statement and predicted grades are more important then my AS results. Would it be possible for me to get accepted? what are my chance? My GCSE grades were 8 A* and 4A's [/INDENT]
Original post by nad96
I really need some help, im currently an A level student but my results were a bit disappointing in the fact that I got AABC, (German, maths, biology and chem) In biology I was 1 mark of an A. I really do want to apply for medicine in Cardiff. I think I can get my predicted grades to be A*A*AB Hopefully persuade my chem teacher for an A) as that result was really unlike me. im resitting in jan both chemistries. I phoned the uni and they told me my personal statement and predicted grades are more important then my AS results. Would it be possible for me to get accepted? what are my chance? My GCSE grades were 8 A* and 4A's

If you were 1 mark of an A at AS, you can make that up next year, or as you say resit the exams. WHen you apply, i think they will be more focused on PS and predicted grades-if you can prove to your teachers you should be predicted whatever you think you can get (A*A*AB?), thats got to be your goal. Oh, and your PS.
Reply 564
Hey does anyone know when interviews with the uk universities for medicine be held? I'm really hoping for it to be after the Alevel exams bcause I will have to travel for the interview as i'm an international student :/ thanks!
Original post by kaitlynnn
Hey does anyone know when interviews with the uk universities for medicine be held? I'm really hoping for it to be after the Alevel exams bcause I will have to travel for the interview as i'm an international student :/ thanks!

Between November and March.
Reply 566
Hi guys,
Anyone who is applying for Nottingham or has got into their medical school before, how does their system of looking at individual sections fare? I got a 755 average but my VR was very low and I am concerned it might jeopardise applying there.
Can anyone give advice please?
Reply 567
Do Sheffield and Manchester priotise UKCAT in their selection process and do they use the MMI system for interviews?
Reply 568
Original post by Bobby_B
Do Sheffield and Manchester priotise UKCAT in their selection process and do they use the MMI system for interviews?

Go on there websites and it tells you all of the admissions processes.
Reply 569
Original post by QuentinM
If you were 1 mark of an A at AS, you can make that up next year, or as you say resit the exams. WHen you apply, i think they will be more focused on PS and predicted grades-if you can prove to your teachers you should be predicted whatever you think you can get (A*A*AB?), thats got to be your goal. Oh, and your PS.

thank you for replying but what do you think my chances would be roughly?
Reply 570
I am really stuck with uni choices. I cant decide between Southampton and Sheffield. Any one have any advice????????????????
Original post by Sushi123
I am really stuck with uni choices. I cant decide between Southampton and Sheffield. Any one have any advice????????????????

One's a southern coastal city, the other's northern and inland. There's a big difference between them in terms of local culture. Which one would you feel more at home in for the next five or so years?
Original post by Sushi123

Not only what Becca-Sarah said...but their admissions policies will be different. Last I checked, SOuthampton have a UKCAT cut-off, and the don't interview for the 5 year course (please check this), whilst sheffield changed their UKCAT usage recently.
Original post by nad96
thank you for replying but what do you think my chances would be roughly?

From experience, I'm not much help. I had AABB after my AS levels-my teachers predicted 4A's, but my PS and UKCAT were pretty poor, so I had no interviews. If your AS results were close to an A and you were predicted, your chances wouldn't be minimized, in my opinion...unless you were aiming for Oxbridge?

I would say it depends on your PS, and maybe your UKCAT (or BMAT if you sat that instead). Oh, and reference.
Reply 574
Not only what Becca-Sarah said...but their admissions policies will be different. Last I checked, SOuthampton have a UKCAT cut-off, and the don't interview for the 5 year course (please check this), whilst sheffield changed their UKCAT usage recently.

Sot'on have had a massive overhaul and changed admissions partly due to not trusting PS anymore and the new government legislation meaning all medical students in England need to be interviewed, this is what they said at their open day. Basically they are now inviting you to interview in reverse order of ukcat scores.
Reply 575
From experience, I'm not much help. I had AABB after my AS levels-my teachers predicted 4A's, but my PS and UKCAT were pretty poor, so I had no interviews. If your AS results were close to an A and you were predicted, your chances wouldn't be minimized, in my opinion...unless you were aiming for Oxbridge?

I would say it depends on your PS, and maybe your UKCAT (or BMAT if you sat that instead). Oh, and reference.

I have just spoken with all my teachers today and have found out that my predicated grades will be A*A*AA. my teachers said that they do think I can get those grades and also higher ( regarding the two A's) im working on my personal statement working closely with what the universities that im applying to are looking for. I am not applying for Oxbridge, I want to apply mainly for Cardiff. Thank you for replying to me and if you have anymore advice I would be very grateful.
Original post by Arabian_doc
I'm new to this...

I'm not sure whether my ukcat disadvantages me, I got 660 (I did very badly in abstract). However I've already got an A in one A-level, 4 As in AS. I'll have 5 A-levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, history and Arabic). My predictions are likely to be A*A*A*A. My GCSE's are 6 A*s 5As. I've done plenty of work experience and voluntary work, but seeing as everyone this year aced the UKCAT, I don't know which unis I stand a realistic chance of getting in. At the moment my choices are: Nottingham/Cambridge (not sure yet), Sheffield, Keele, Barts.

Any advice would be great.

I got interviews at Keele and Exeter last year...with worse than that. My Keele interview was with achieved grades (they give several interviews to people with exceptional academics). But academic wise...you're not bad, shall we say.

As people here always say, the main focus is on your PS and reference, really.
Reply 577
Original post by Pastaferian
It's well above average, and above most of the cutoffs. My advice is to avoid Newcastle/Durham (you're below their cutoff for 2013 entry) and be very cautious about Nottingham (they put a 48% weighting factor on UKCAT scores - you'd have to score very highly on all the other components to get an interview). The wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' identifies the ones where UKCAT score should inform your decision about whether to apply or not. Good luck!

What do you think?

- sheffield (medicine)
- cardiff (medicine)
- dundee (medicine)
- dundee (dentistry)
- king's (dentistry)
Reply 578
Original post by fadytousa
What do you think?

- sheffield (medicine)
- cardiff (medicine)
- dundee (medicine)
- dundee (dentistry)
- king's (dentistry)

You can only choose 4 unis for medicine/dentistry/vet cant u
Reply 579
Also I have a question which I would appreciate someone replied to: I have just finished my AS year and Im in Yr13. I have done my research but Im still finding it very difficult to select which Uni I will be most likely to get an interview at. I have currently achieved (A) Physics (A) Biology (B) Maths (B) Chemistry. I also have a lot of work experience including travelling to Kenya to volunteer at a hospital. I have a decent Personal statement which has been checked by admission officer and she thinks to think its pretty good. My UKCAT is 675 & Band 1 in SJT. What would be the best Universities to apply to where I will almost certainly get an interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending