The Student Room Group

The Biology AS-level Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Thank you :h:
Well researched :wink:

Haha why thankyou :smile: we had to do sort of a mini essay on it as part of our holiday homework :lol:
Original post by techno836
Haha why thankyou :smile: we had to do sort of a mini essay on it as part of our holiday homework :lol:

Ah, that's good, I guess you have a pretty decent understanding of it now then :cool:
Original post by Kallisto
I have never heard about that too, but after I have read an article about this measuring instrument I must confess that it sounds interesting. Let me guess: you should explain and/or use it in terms of the analysis of biological substances, am I right?

It was a diffusion experiment to do with surface area/volume ratio, involving differently sized cubes of agar jelly soaked in phenolphthalein.
So many people on here seem to have done a lot, and I already had 3 lessons of Biology, but haven't been taught anything... it's so frustrating :<
Reply 124
I know you guys might be busy but just a quick question, what's the workload like with AS bio? :tongue: Is it a lot more difficult than gcse bio?:smile:
Original post by ergo30
I know you guys might be busy but just a quick question, what's the workload like with AS bio? :tongue: Is it a lot more difficult than gcse bio?:smile:

The workload is definitely more than GCSE. There is literally just so much work to do at A-level! It's not toooooo bad at the moment since we're just starting, but as the year goes on it will probably get worse due to studying more challenging concepts.

Having said that, a high workload doesn't always equal a high difficulty... For example, there may be lots of work to do in a subject such as Art or photography, but if your creative-minded then it probably won't be hard for you. The same applies to science. Lots of the content that we're learning is fairly simple to understand, but there's just so much of it that it becomes quite daunting!

From my view at the moment, the difficulty isn't all that high. It essentially just fills in the gaps from GCSE biology with greater depth and detail! But, of course, I may find that later on in the course it gets quite hard haha, we'll see!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by ergo30

Yes :yep: the content is like tripled :lol: maybe quadrupled :wink:
Reply 127
Ah, that's good, I guess you have a pretty decent understanding of it now then :cool:

Haha yeah i guess, to an extent :lol: i have triple Biology tomorrow :woo: ... and then an Hour of Decision Maths :'(
Haha yeah i guess, to an extent :lol: i have triple Biology tomorrow :woo: ... and then an Hour of Decision Maths :'(

I like Biology so that sounds good :^_^:
Maths :unimpressed:
Haha:colondollar:
Reply 129
I like Biology so that sounds good :^_^:
Maths :unimpressed:
Haha:colondollar:

I like Bio and maths ..Just not Decision Maths :frown:
I like Bio and maths ..Just not Decision Maths :frown:

I like Biology, maths was never a stronghold for me unfortunately :frown:
Reply 131
I like Biology, maths was never a stronghold for me unfortunately :frown:

Ahhh what A levels are you doing ? ... I want to guess Bio, Chem and History or psychology?
Hi everyone :-)

Can someone possibly talk me through ISA's & EMPA's? How do they work?
Ahhh what A levels are you doing ? ... I want to guess Bio, Chem and History or psychology?

Finished A-levels :smile: Failed chem-should have worked more. History isn't my thing. Psychology is a joke at A level, not the difficulty but the subject content :s-smilie: in my opinion :colondollar:
I did Biology, Geography and Geology :smile:
You ?
Reply 134
Finished A-levels :smile: Failed chem-should have worked more. History isn't my thing. Psychology is a joke at A level, not the difficulty but the subject content :s-smilie: in my opinion :colondollar:
I did Biology, Geography and Geology :smile:
You ?

Ahh cool what you doing now then :h:

and I'm doing Maths FM (maybe) Bio Chem and Physics :rolleyes:
Ahh cool what you doing now then :h:

and I'm doing Maths FM (maybe) Bio Chem and Physics :rolleyes:

You must be pretty intelligent, those are all well respected subjects :biggrin:
Biomedical Science at Aston University :smile:
Reply 136
You must be pretty intelligent, those are all well respected subjects :biggrin:
Biomedical Science at Aston University :smile:

haha thanks :lol: i wouldn't go that far though as i may still be dropping Further Maths :rolleyes:

and ahh cool, i've always wondered what Biomedical science involves ? :h:
Reply 137
Original post by angel.iced<3
Hi everyone :-)

Can someone possibly talk me through ISA's & EMPA's? How do they work?

Hmmm I'm not too sure on EMPA's .... ISA's i know little :/ I know they are split into Quantitative Qualitative and Evaluative sections though and are more thorough than GCSE ISA's .. you have to calculate your errors etc.

You may want to ask on the Year 13 thread as they will have experienced them :h:
haha thanks :lol: i wouldn't go that far though as i may still be dropping Further Maths :rolleyes:

and ahh cool, i've always wondered what Biomedical science involves ? :h:

The study of human disease, diagnosis, basically the study of the human body and organisms which can effect it's function :rolleyes:
Reply 139
The study of human disease, diagnosis, basically the study of the human body and organisms which can effect it's function :rolleyes:

Ahhh Whilst that sounds thrilling :woo: I'd much rather do Medicine :woo:

Quick Reply