The Student Room Group

Students commuting in London!

Any students studying in London living at home or are going to start uni soon? If so where and what will you be studying? How are you commuting and how long is your journey (from home to uni)? What is the main reason you're commuting and not living in halls?
Can someone shed some light on the opinion that you are less likely to make close friends at uni because you live at home?
It's always nice to hear from people in a similar situation to yourself.
Reply 1
Staying at home for the next 3 years should be that bad, only 45 minutes to the university.

Not too noisy at home, no worries about food or accom, just study hard!

Join clubs and focus on lectures.
Reply 2
Original post by BonoBono
Staying at home for the next 3 years should be that bad, only 45 minutes to the university.

Not too noisy at home, no worries about food or accom, just study hard!

Join clubs and focus on lectures.

How are you commuting? Bus/tube/car??
Reply 3
Original post by GreenOut
How are you commuting? Bus/tube/car??

Tube, what is your situation?
Reply 4
Original post by BonoBono
Tube, what is your situation?

about 45mins by tube as well for me
Reply 5
I commuted in all last year and am staying at home again this year. hour and a half commute, am doing it because it saves a lot of money. It is still pretty easy to make close friends, just make sure you make an effort to get involved. People are normally willing to let you crash in their flats after a night out, I just left a sleeping bag in my friends flat. early mornings can be a bit annoying, but overall it was fine really.
Reply 6
Original post by lucaf
I commuted in all last year and am staying at home again this year. hour and a half commute, am doing it because it saves a lot of money. It is still pretty easy to make close friends, just make sure you make an effort to get involved. People are normally willing to let you crash in their flats after a night out, I just left a sleeping bag in my friends flat. early mornings can be a bit annoying, but overall it was fine really.

1 and a half hours each way?! thanks for the reassurance
Reply 7
I am commuting to uni in London, it should take me around an hour (bus then train) i live with my boyfriends parents which isn't ideal but its cheap & convenient & i am lucky they have room for us. The commute doesn't concern me as i used to work in London & its exactly the same. I have to be in uni 9-5 so thats good, if i had an hour commute & only 2hrs it'd find it annoying. I am conscious that i wont be in the same boat as other students but as i am 30 2 days before i start i am going to uni purely to learn, new friends are a bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Any students studying in London living at home or are going to start uni soon? If so where and what will you be studying? How are you commuting and how long is your journey (from home to uni)? What is the main reason you're commuting and not living in halls?
Can someone shed some light on the opinion that you are less likely to make close friends at uni because you live at home?
It's always nice to hear from people in a similar situation to yourself.

Commuting about 35-40 min on the tube to UCL. I'm actually quite independent at home and it's a much better study environment for me. If I stayed in halls, I reckon I'd get easily distracted. Plus it saves a lot.

Well my brother lives at home and commutes but he has made friends just fine. I keep panicking and asking about his freshers' week and how was it making friends. His answer? Meh, you'll make friends naturally through your lab tutorials etc. Oh and SOCIETIES.
Reply 9
Original post by wasabi
Commuting about 35-40 min on the tube to UCL. I'm actually quite independent at home and it's a much better study environment for me. If I stayed in halls, I reckon I'd get easily distracted. Plus it saves a lot.

Well my brother lives at home and commutes but he has made friends just fine. I keep panicking and asking about his freshers' week and how was it making friends. His answer? Meh, you'll make friends naturally through your lab tutorials etc. Oh and SOCIETIES.

that's cool, what're you studying?
Reply 10
If you are going to live at home and commute, make sure you get involved with societies/sports and get to know people on your course. A large part of university is what happens beyond your studies with your newly found friends, so make the most of it.
Reply 11
that's cool, what're you studying?

Chemistry
Reply 12
Original post by wasabi
Chemistry

You will stay at home for the next 3 years.

You have a older sibling, others have many younger siblings
Reply 13
Anyone else in the situation where your maintenance loan won’t cover your train fare? Any tips on cheaper travel for students?My 16-25 railcard won’t cover a season ticket

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending