The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Soontobesuper
We did about th revoultion period for my GCSE, and the History lot are doing it for thier coursewrok too! From what I remember he was just as arogant as much of the rest, but yes was great with the troops, and should take nearly all the credit for winning the civil war. He stod a good chAne as most for taking over from Lenin. But he like everyon else underest Stalin...

well to be honest , he was pretty screwed against Stalin in the first place. Stalin was party secretary , hence had control of the votes in the party - everytime trotsky wanted something, stalin used his control of the party to vote against him.

the only support Trotsky would have had was Lenins testament where he criticized stalin heavily and said he controlled too much power. but the problem was it also criticized a lot of other top bolshevik members hence they decided to just throw it out completely.
Original post by Fas
oh right hahaha fair enough :tongue: which modules did you do ?

C1 C2 S1 for AS Maths, and FP1 M1 M2 for AS Further Maths, which ones you doing?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I think target grades are set at the start of yr 12 based on what you got at GCSE whereas predicted grades are set at the start of yr 13 based on your AS results.

Okay thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's only a silly rumour that if you apply to top universities before the 15th October you're less likely to get an offer as they assume you've applied to Oxbridge, right? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
It's only a silly rumour that if you apply to top universities before the 15th October you're less likely to get an offer as they assume you've applied to Oxbridge, right? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes - universities have no way of knowing which universities you have applied to - even if you applied before the 15th, you may have just sent your application off early. Even if you did apply to Oxbridge, they can't possibly tell whether you're going to get an offer or not so it would be crazy to reject an applicant who looks very good on paper just because the university received their application before the 15th. Besides, in my personal experience, most people who I know who've applied to and gotten offers from Oxbridge have ended up getting all 5 offers, usually from top unis. :wink:

The only university I've heard a vicious rumour about who do this is Durham but I'm sure that's just another rumour too. If you're worried though, apply to Oxbridge before the 15th and then add in your other choices later. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis
Yes - universities have no way of knowing which universities you have applied to - even if you applied before the 15th, you may have just sent your application off early. Even if you did apply to Oxbridge, they can't possibly tell whether you're going to get an offer or not so it would be crazy to reject an applicant who looks very good on paper just because the university received their application before the 15th. Besides, in my personal experience, most people who I know who've applied to and gotten offers from Oxbridge have ended up getting all 5 offers, usually from top unis. :wink:

The only university I've heard a vicious rumour about who do this is Durham but I'm sure that's just another rumour too. If you're worried though, apply to Oxbridge before the 15th and then add in your other choices later. :wink:

Oh good! Exactly, that's what I thought! Yeah very true :smile: That's reassuring haha, I did think it sounded very silly.

I can't even apply to Oxbridge anyway, far too poor grades :tongue: But yeah, I want to apply to Durham and I've heard that about them, hence why I'm worried! Though as you said, it's probably just another rumour :wink:

Thank you for your reply :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Oh good! Exactly, that's what I thought! Yeah very true :smile: That's reassuring haha, I did think it sounded very silly.

I can't even apply to Oxbridge anyway, far too poor grades :tongue: But yeah, I want to apply to Durham and I've heard that about them, hence why I'm worried! Though as you said, it's probably just another rumour :wink:

Ah right, how come you're applying so early then? School deadline? Tbh, this may be a bit hypocritical and I know someone's going to come down my throat saying that it absolutely won't matter either way but a part of me does think Durham may have a slight bias. :colondollar: It's certainly not the case of what I've seen on TSR but I know 3 people irl - all very strong academically, good ECs, etc and they all got into Oxbridge but got rejected by Durham. :confused: I'm sure there were probably other reasons but I seriously can't imagine why they'd get rejected. This all pretty irrational of me and I'm sure Durham had good reasons for their decision but if you knew the people, you'd realise why I'm so surprised so a part of you just can't help thinking 'what if...?'. Guess I'm just saying if it was me in that position, I'd play my cards safe and maybe apply slightly after the deadline. :tongue: Though this is probably really bad advice from me, just my 2 cents on what I'd do. :colondollar:

Thank you for your reply :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah right, how come you're applying so early then? School deadline? Tbh, this may be a bit hypocritical and I know someone's going to come down my throat saying that it absolutely won't matter either way but a part of me does think Durham may have a slight bias. :colondollar: It's certainly not the case of what I've seen on TSR but I know 3 people irl - all very strong academically, good ECs, etc and they all got into Oxbridge but got rejected by Durham. :confused: I'm sure there were probably other reasons but I seriously can't imagine why they'd get rejected. This all pretty irrational of me and I'm sure Durham had good reasons for their decision but if you knew the people, you'd realise why I'm so surprised so a part of you just can't help thinking 'what if...?'. Guess I'm just saying if it was me in that position, I'd play my cards safe and maybe apply slightly after the deadline. :tongue:

Yeah, my maths teacher/head of Sixth also said that he thinks some uni's show a slight bias if they think you're applying to Oxbridge :s-smilie:
Has anyone else been PMd about going to London?
Original post by g.k.galloway

We PM'd 25 people :yep:

I *might* be there, it depends on how much work I have. :smile:
Ah right, how come you're applying so early then? School deadline? Tbh, this may be a bit hypocritical and I know someone's going to come down my throat saying that it absolutely won't matter either way but a part of me does think Durham may have a slight bias. :colondollar: It's certainly not the case of what I've seen on TSR but I know 3 people irl - all very strong academically, good ECs, etc and they all got into Oxbridge but got rejected by Durham. :confused: I'm sure there were probably other reasons but I seriously can't imagine why they'd get rejected. This all pretty irrational of me and I'm sure Durham had good reasons for their decision but if you knew the people, you'd realise why I'm so surprised so a part of you just can't help thinking 'what if...?'. Guess I'm just saying if it was me in that position, I'd play my cards safe and maybe apply slightly after the deadline. :tongue: Though this is probably bad advice from me, just my 2 cents on what I'd do. :colondollar:

I just want to get it out of the way, I'm determined to be organised this year :tongue: obviously I'll have to ensure everything is perfect though, so it may take longer than I expect anyway! Oh wow, that doesn't sound good! Very strange :confused: Yeah, if you're good enough for Oxbridge, surely you're good enough for Durham? Can't quite understand that, though. Yeah I totally see where you're coming from! I'll take your advice on board, I'll try and aim for the 16th or something :wink: Having said that, surely they'd realise I wouldn't be stupid enough to apply to Oxbridge with my grades? I don't know though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
We PM'd 25 people :yep:

I *might* be there, it depends on how much work I have. :smile:

Ah I see :smile: I shall speak to my parents...not promising anything but I would love to go :smile:
September 21st is the meeting right?
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah I see :smile: I shall speak to my parents...not promising anything but I would love to go :smile:

Yeah, trying to convince parents is the hardest bit. :tongue: It'd be awesome to meet you :yep:
Yeah, trying to convince parents is the hardest bit. :tongue: It'd be awesome to meet you :yep:

Indeed! Haha that would be cool :smile:

I have, but as usy said, it'll depend on how busy I am.

Original post by Lucy96
I just want to get it out of the way, I'm determined to be organised this year :tongue: obviously I'll have to ensure everything is perfect though, so it may take longer than I expect anyway! Oh wow, that doesn't sound good! Very strange :confused: Yeah, if you're good enough for Oxbridge, surely you're good enough for Durham? Can't quite understand that, though. Yeah I totally see where you're coming from! I'll take your advice on board, I'll try and aim for the 16th or something :wink: Having said that, surely they'd realise I wouldn't be stupid enough to apply to Oxbridge with my grades? I don't know though :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha, I see. :yy: I'm trying to be organised this year but I'm procrastinating way too much, my brain still thinks it's summer. :tongue: See that's what I thought, but apparently not. :confused: Like, on paper, I really don't see how they could've faulted them and I know people with worse grades who got accepted so who knows. :confused: Strange indeed. Haha, I would go for the 16th, just to be sure. :wink: Lol, I'm sure your grades can't be that bad if you're applying to Durham! What's the typical offer, like A*AA? :tongue:
Indeed! Haha that would be cool :smile:

I don't know, we haven't been told yet if it's been decided or not! :tongue: If it is the 21st, I can't come...UKCAT then... :colonhash::tongue:
I don't know, we haven't been told yet if it's been decided or not! :tongue: If it is the 21st, I can't come...UKCAT then... :colonhash::tongue:

I have parental approval!!! So shall I just email back and say I can go...I mean it would be a weekend yeah?

Edit - although thinking about it I could probably get a day off school for that haha

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 10 years ago)
I have, but as usy said, it'll depend on how busy I am.

Aha, I see. :yy: I'm trying to be organised this year but I'm procrastinating way too much, my brain still thinks it's summer. :tongue: See that's what I thought, but apparently not. :confused: Like, on paper, I really don't see how they could've faulted them and I know people with worse grades who got accepted so who knows. :confused: Strange indeed. Haha, I would go for the 16th, just to be sure. :wink: Lol, I'm sure your grades can't be that bad if you're applying to Durham! What's the typical offer, like A*AA? :tongue:

Oh don't worry, I've only just done the english literature homework I got given in July :lol: I'm the worst procrastinator ever! Which is why I want to be organised for this :tongue: It does seem to fit in then, how childish of Durham :wink: I have AAB in the subjects I've carried on, and I'm predicted an A* in literature (only predicted grade I've got so far!) BUT...I got an E in chemistry :colondollar: I emailed Durham and they don't care, thankfully. Even if I didn't get that E, my UMS wouldn't be high enough for Cambridge, and my GCSEs too weak for Oxford :tongue: The course I'm applying for (Master of Biological Anthropology MAnth) obviously isn't competitive, so I only need ABB :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have parental approval!!! So shall I just email back and say I can go...I mean it would be a weekend yeah?

:woo:

It's most likely to be a weekend, but ask Adam/Gofre (I presume it was him who PM'd you? :smile:) as he'll know. :smile:
:woo:

It's most likely to be a weekend, but ask Adam/Gofre (I presume it was him who PM'd you? :smile:) as he'll know. :smile:

Okay will do! This is very exciting!
Also, do you know when we find out about who the new mods are? :biggrin:

Latest