The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

About to start my first ever A2 psychology essay :eek:

24 marks!!!!!! Wish me luck guys
Reply 2981
Any tips/method on getting predicted grades raised?

I got a B for AS maths after a disappointing C2 (Atrocious, i was late and still dazed from last night >.<)
Hi!

Can anyone please talk me through the process of an ISA? I've never done one before but will be completing one for my biology a-level this year. Would appreciate any help :-)
Got the "Best Overall GCSE Performance" Award!

Lets see what I else I win next week :teeth:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Got the "Best Overall GCSE Performance" Award!

Lets see what I else I win next week :teeth:

Is that award based on highest average (on a fixed number of subjects)?

*congrats :smile:
Original post by Jkizer
Any tips/method on getting predicted grades raised?

I got a B for AS maths after a disappointing C2 (Atrocious, i was late and still dazed from last night >.<)

Evidence of working on newer material to a high standard?

I can't really help since teachers will usually just predict AS grades or 1 up.
Original post by angel.iced<3
Hi!

Can anyone please talk me through the process of an ISA? I've never done one before but will be completing one for my biology a-level this year. Would appreciate any help :-)

Basically, with the ISAs (investigative skills assessment), you're required to carry out a practical (set by the exam board you are on). On AQA, this is worth 8 out of the total 50 marks available. Then after this, you have a written paper which is split into two sections:
Section A deals with the practical you had carried out, so questions can be asked on results, and will probably all be focused around the practical, although it may not directly be linked.
Section B deals with investigations as a whole, so it just tests how well you can infer data/understand practical principles/generally how well your investigation skills are. This written paper is worth 42 out of the 50 marks available. The sections may not be split equally in terms of marks available.

Edit: just realised you were talking about biology. I didn't do an ISA in biology, but I suspect it would be similar to that of chemistry's
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheKingOfTSR
Is that award based on highest average (on a fixed number of subjects)?

*congrats :smile:

I guess overall is average?

But I probably was the only with the three sciences, maths, one English (literally for me), humanity (history and geography) and a language for an A*.

I was the only A* in French so if it was fixed including language them yeah :smile:
Original post by Lucy96
Oh don't worry, I've only just done the english literature homework I got given in July :lol: I'm the worst procrastinator ever! Which is why I want to be organised for this :tongue: It does seem to fit in then, how childish of Durham :wink: I have AAB in the subjects I've carried on, and I'm predicted an A* in literature (only predicted grade I've got so far!) BUT...I got an E in chemistry :colondollar: I emailed Durham and they don't care, thankfully. Even if I didn't get that E, my UMS wouldn't be high enough for Cambridge, and my GCSEs too weak for Oxford :tongue: The course I'm applying for (Master of Biological Anthropology MAnth) obviously isn't competitive, so I only need ABB :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL. :lol: Summer homework by any chance? I never end up doing any of it anyway either over the summer. :tongue: See, I'm trying to change how much I procrastinate as well and be more diligent this time round, especially given how important this year is. AAB are stillvery strong AS grades. :yep: Ouch, unlucky about the chemistry but if you already have good grades in 3 subjects and are dropping chem(?) then I shouldn't think it'd matter too much, especially if an admissions tutor said so. What do you think your other predictions will be like? With an A* already and those AS grades, you've got a pretty good shot at Durham. :wink: Is that your top choice?
Reply 2989
Original post by mynameisntbobk
About to start my first ever A2 psychology essay :eek:

24 marks!!!!!! Wish me luck guys

Whats the topic? :h:
Original post by Felix Felicis
LOL. :lol: Summer homework by any chance? I never end up doing any of it anyway either over the summer. :tongue: See, I'm trying to change how much I procrastinate as well and be more diligent this time round, especially given how important this year is. AAB are stillvery strong AS grades. :yep: Ouch, unlucky about the chemistry but if you already have good grades in 3 subjects and are dropping chem(?) then I shouldn't think it'd matter too much, especially if an admissions tutor said so. What do you think your other predictions will be like? With an A* already and those AS grades, you've got a pretty good shot at Durham. :wink: Is that your top choice?

Exactly that haha :wink: Me neither! We deserve a break after a stressful year :tongue: Yeah as am I, I really can't afford to be like that this year. I was very happy with them as I was expecting a C and a D in the subjects I got As in! I was slightly annoyed I got a B in biology as I know I was capable of an A :frown: And I expected the chemistry, I didn't try because I hated it (stupid and stubborn, I know) :tongue: yeah I've dropped it, good riddance :ahee: They said in the anthropology department, they don't look at AS grades, only A2 predictions! Obviously this probably wouldn't have been the case for a more popular/difficult course! I'm really hoping I can get an A* prediction in history as I'm so determined to get one, and I'm hoping biology will be an A as I'm resitting one unit :smile: Thank you, I hope so! :tongue:

And that's the problem I have. My ideal course that sounds absolutely amazing is Evolutionary Anthropology, and that's at Liverpool. I'm just worried as Liverpool don't have the best reputation as it is, and is considered a poor RG uni, and with an unusual degree choice, I'll need all the advantages I can get :dontknow: Whereas obviously Durham is a great university and employers would prefer that, but the course doesn't sound as good. Would you advise going for the course I prefer best, regardless of reputation? Or? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
AM is such a sweet album.
Original post by lilGem
Whats the topic? :h:

Relationships :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Okay will do! This is very exciting!
Also, do you know when we find out about who the new mods are? :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Indeed! :awesome:

I can't provide an exact date, but very soon now. :yep: I've looked through everyone'e applications and provided my thoughts on them already, we just need to get the opinions of one or two other mods, then we'll contact those who are successful and unsuccessful :yep:
Reply 2994
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Relationships :smile:

Which part in particular? I remember some friends doing it last year. Interesting theories :yep:
I'm applying for Chemistry.
AS subjects: Chemistry (A), Maths (A), Physics (A), Engineering(A)
A2 subjects: Chemistry (A predicted), Maths (A*? predicted - i think), Physics (A predicted)
University choices: theres like a list of 8ish..http://imgur.com/wDO7oiW, that explains it decently XD
Reply 2996
Original post by usycool1
Indeed! :awesome:

I can't provide an exact date, but very soon now. :yep: I've looked through everyone'e applications and provided my thoughts on them already, we just need to get the opinions of one or two other mods, then we'll contact those who are successful and unsuccessful :yep:

:afraid:
Original post by lilGem
:afraid:

:ahee:

Quite a few people applied from this this thread actually, I really enjoyed reading them.. :colone:
Original post by lilGem
Which part in particular? I remember some friends doing it last year. Interesting theories :yep:

"Describe and evaluate two theories of the formation of relationships"

I like it, though its hard getting back into essays, especially since the marks are worth more.
D1 bin packing kill me now

D1 is so bad that its prevented me from doing other maths for about 2days

Latest