The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3000
Original post by usycool1
:ahee:

Quite a few people applied from this this thread actually, I really enjoyed reading them.. :colone:

I'll be interested in the results :yep:
Reply 3001
Original post by mynameisntbobk
"Describe and evaluate two theories of the formation of relationships"

I like it, though its hard getting back into essays, especially since the marks are worth more.

Ooh interesting :ahee:

I tried writing a few days ago, I've forgotten how to write if it's any consolation :facepalm:
Original post by lilGem
Ooh interesting :ahee:

I tried writing a few days ago, I've forgotten how to write if it's any consolation :facepalm:

It is :smile: a page down though, so not bad actually

Haha it helps a lot :biggrin:
Reply 3003
Original post by Robbie242
D1 bin packing kill me now

D1 is so bad that its prevented me from doing other maths for about 2days

Once it's done it's done, keep powering through!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
:ahee:

Quite a few people applied from this this thread actually, I really enjoyed reading them.. :colone:

Mine from the last time was awesome, right?:wink:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Mine from the last time was awesome, right?:wink:

I didn't get to read yours actually! :tongue: I was away during mod recruitment last time, so I didn't really play any role in deciding the mods :sad: I'm sure it was awesome though :awesome:
I didn't get to read yours actually! :tongue: I was away during mod recruitment last time, so I didn't really play any role in deciding the mods :sad: I'm sure it was awesome though :awesome:

You were going to I remember! And then you disappeared :holmes:

:teehee: obviously. My only reason for... Failure. Was because of the recent ban :mad: :tongue:

That was before the 18+ rule.
Sorry, went to get some food. :tongue:
Original post by Lucy96
Exactly that haha :wink: Me neither! We deserve a break after a stressful year :tongue: Yeah as am I, I really can't afford to be like that this year. I was very happy with them as I was expecting a C and a D in the subjects I got As in! I was slightly annoyed I got a B in biology as I know I was capable of an A :frown: And I expected the chemistry, I didn't try because I hated it (stupid and stubborn, I know) :tongue: yeah I've dropped it, good riddance :ahee: They said in the anthropology department, they don't look at AS grades, only A2 predictions! Obviously this probably wouldn't have been the case for a more popular/difficult course! I'm really hoping I can get an A* prediction in history as I'm so determined to get one, and I'm hoping biology will be an A as I'm resitting one unit :smile: Thank you, I hope so! :tongue:

That's the exact same thing I think haha, especially after having like 14 exams, when teachers give you summer homework I'm just like 'really?!'

Spoiler

That's like me with geography, awesome job! :five: Haha, I was stupid and stubborn with the geog as well (I'm just lucky it's a subject I can BS my way through), good riddance. :ahee: Good luck with that, hope you get the predictions you want (deserve :wink:). :cool:

And that's the problem I have. My ideal course that sounds absolutely amazing is Evolutionary Anthropology, and that's at Liverpool. I'm just worried as Liverpool don't have the best reputation as it is, and is considered a poor RG uni, and with an unusual degree choice, I'll need all the advantages I can get :dontknow: Whereas obviously Durham is a great university and employers would prefer that, but the course doesn't sound as good. Would you advise going for the course I prefer best, regardless of reputation? Or? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. Liverpool is still a fairly prestigious uni though tbf, and your degree classification will still have some bearing! I'm sure that a 1st from Liverpool will still look really good to employers. I would usually advise to go for the course you prefer most, I mean, at the end of the day you're going to be studying it for 4 years so if you don't love it, then it's going to be rather painful. Is it just employment prospects that are worrying you? Have you checked what the employment prospects are like for the course at Liverpool? I mean, if they're really that bad and in comparison the prospects at Durham are much better, than I'd honestly advise to go for Durham if you think you'd still enjoy the course at Durham. There's another thing you need to think about - how different are the courses? I mean, if they're fairly similar then I'd advise to go for Durham but if they're completely different and you do like the course at Liverpool a lot more then go for Liverpool but take into consideration how much it may compromise employment prospects. Lol, sorry if that wasn't a very straightforward answer but it is a bit of a balancing act. :lol:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by adi19956
Once it's done it's done, keep powering through!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I suppose - I can see D1 being one of those modules that I barely revise for after finishing it, none of the concepts are hard they are just very long and conceptually boring

I'll get anything from 70 up to 100 in D1, its that boring
Original post by Felix Felicis
x

I wish I listened to you.

Geography is **** in terms of fun content... It seems I need a degree in it to get to the fun part :colonhash:

Sucks so much, but should be good for a full UMS subject to bolster up my average... (I found out I can apply for NatSci at Cambridge and Chemi everywhere else!)

Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and Geography I have to smash.

French I want to smash :mmm:
Basically, with the ISAs (investigative skills assessment), you're required to carry out a practical (set by the exam board you are on). On AQA, this is worth 8 out of the total 50 marks available. Then after this, you have a written paper which is split into two sections:
Section A deals with the practical you had carried out, so questions can be asked on results, and will probably all be focused around the practical, although it may not directly be linked.
Section B deals with investigations as a whole, so it just tests how well you can infer data/understand practical principles/generally how well your investigation skills are. This written paper is worth 42 out of the 50 marks available. The sections may not be split equally in terms of marks available.

Edit: just realised you were talking about biology. I didn't do an ISA in biology, but I suspect it would be similar to that of chemistry's

Thank you so much, this was so helpful! I know you said you did one for chemistry but like you said they're probably very similar, what revision methods if any would you say are most helpful for gaining good marks in the ISA? When you did yours did your teacher/teachers do mock ISA's with you? And did you know what the experiment you had to carry out before you went in to do it? Sorry for all the questions :colondollar:
I wish I listened to you.

Hate to say I told ya' so. :pierre:

Geography is **** in terms of fun content... It seems I need a degree in it to get to the fun part :colonhash:

Sucks so much, but should be good for a full UMS subject to bolster up my average... (I found out I can apply for NatSci at Cambridge and Chemi everywhere else!)

Physics, Chemistry, Further Maths and Geography I have to smash.

French I want to smash :mmm:

Lol, let me guess, did you take it because you enjoyed physical geography at GCSE? Cause that's why I did but the amount of physical geography I learned, I could've learned over a few days and wasn't even that interesting and human just sucked the fun out of it for me. :indiff:

I see. :yy: Changed your mind from Oxford then? And I see the medicine phase didn't last very long...:tongue: Or are you still considering it?

How're you finding your new sixth form btw? I take it you opted for the private one in the end?
I guess overall is average?

But I probably was the only with the three sciences, maths, one English (literally for me), humanity (history and geography) and a language for an A*.

I was the only A* in French so if it was fixed including language them yeah :smile:

Well done then! Hope you win the other awards that you greatly deserve :smile: Good luck for next week.
Hate to say I told ya' so. :pierre:

Lol, let me guess, did you take it because you enjoyed physical geography at GCSE? Cause that's why I did but the amount of physical geography I learned, I could've learned over a few days and wasn't even that interesting and human just sucked the fun out of it for me. :indiff:

I see. :yy: Changed your mind from Oxford then? And I see the medicine phase didn't last very long...:tongue: Or are you still considering it?

How're you finding your new sixth form btw? I take it you opted for the private one in the end?

:mmm:

Yes! Exactly :frown: and what makes it worse is my human Geography teacher is good! And the physical one is crap... (a doctor that can't teach)

We'll see how my AS UMS is :wink:

And Medicine... I'm going to look for some actual work experience, and I'm gonna volunteer doing something anyway so I can use it if I did decide medicine. If I choose to do medicine, it'll mean dropping Geography at AS and starting Biology AS I think!

_

I think I'd have much preferred the other school... As I had so many friends there :lol: it's weird here... I have people to say hi to and have chats with in lessons, but I haven't got anyone new to actually hang round with, I don't belong to any group :frown:

There is also this group of boys, like jocks I guess. Quite intimidating in a mental way (like... I can't explain but) I don't think their "leader" likes me :rofl: don't know why but ah well...

So yeah. It's not disastrous but I probably should have gone to the state college :smile:

Thanks for asking!
Sorry, went to get some food. :tongue:

That's the exact same thing I think haha, especially after having like 14 exams, when teachers give you summer homework I'm just like 'really?!'

Spoiler

That's like me with geography, awesome job! :five: Haha, I was stupid and stubborn with the geog as well (I'm just lucky it's a subject I can BS my way through), good riddance. :ahee: Good luck with that, hope you get the predictions you want (deserve :wink:). :cool:

I see. Liverpool is still a fairly prestigious uni though tbf, and your degree classification will still have some bearing! I'm sure that a 1st from Liverpool will still look really good to employers. I would usually advise to go for the course you prefer most, I mean, at the end of the day you're going to be studying it for 4 years so if you don't love it, then it's going to be rather painful. Is it just employment prospects that are worrying you? Have you checked what the employment prospects are like for the course at Liverpool? I mean, if they're really that bad and in comparison the prospects at Durham are much better, than I'd honestly advise to go for Durham if you think you'd still enjoy the course at Durham. There's another thing you need to think about - how different are the courses? I mean, if they're fairly similar then I'd advise to go for Durham but if they're completely different and you do like the course at Liverpool a lot more then go for Liverpool but take into consideration how much it may compromise employment prospects. Lol, sorry if that wasn't a very straightforward answer but it is a bit of a balancing act.

Haha no worries! :tongue:

Wow, you had 14?! Ouch, how many do you have this year? But hahaha so true :lol:

Glad I'm not alone! :five: I actually wish I had done geography instead of chemistry, or maybe philosophy! I'm guessing you still did very well? How did you do in everything?! (Including UMS if you're proud of them :wink:) Thank you so much, you too :biggrin:

I guess it could be a lot worse, it's not exactly the worst university, just not the best out of the ones I'm applying to! I really hope so. If I were to do a masters at somewhere like Durham, would that also help? Precisely, that's what I'm worried about, I lack motivation as it is, so I need to make sure I'm going to enjoy it :tongue: And yes, I want to go into a very limited (and unlikely) field too, which is what's making it harder. (Preferably to become a primatologist/archeologist/a research scientist in any area of my degree). They are a fair bit lower than at Durham and I'm scared of ending up in an awful job. The courses have a slight overlap, but at Liverpool, it's a lot more biology based, I can do a lot of modules from a biology degree too, such as biodiversity, animal behaviour etc, (with aspects of ancient history, primatology and archeology), whereas although Durham's is biological anthropology, it has a bit of social and medical anthropology in it which I'm not so keen on. I know I'm much more passionate about the Liverpool course, but yes, I do have my doubts about employment prospects. I'm just hoping that if I went on to do a masters and then a PhD, I'd be in a much more comfortable position! Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated! I'll have a good think :smile: who knows, Durham might reject me anyway :wink: sorry for the essay replies, too :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3015
It is :smile: a page down though, so not bad actually

Haha it helps a lot :biggrin:

make sure you remember IDAs :yep:

First weeks lectures should be interesting :eek: glad it's helped though :biggrin:
Original post by lilGem
make sure you remember IDAs :yep:

First weeks lectures should be interesting :eek: glad it's helped though :biggrin:

Its so hard incorporating them into this piece. Issues are fine, debates and approaches not so much :tongue:

They probably will. Have you figured out how you'll go about note taking?
Indeed! :awesome:

I can't provide an exact date, but very soon now. :yep: I've looked through everyone'e applications and provided my thoughts on them already, we just need to get the opinions of one or two other mods, then we'll contact those who are successful and unsuccessful :yep:

Great thanks :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
:mmm:

Yes! Exactly :frown: and what makes it worse is my human Geography teacher is good! And the physical one is crap... (a doctor that can't teach)

We'll see how my AS UMS is :wink:

And Medicine... I'm going to look for some actual work experience, and I'm gonna volunteer doing something anyway so I can use it if I did decide medicine. If I choose to do medicine, it'll mean dropping Geography at AS and starting Biology AS I think!

Ahhh, I see, that's never good. :lol: Does it make you like human any more though?

Sounds like a good plan. :cool:

I think I'd have much preferred the other school... As I had so many friends there :lol: it's weird here... I have people to say hi to and have chats with in lessons, but I haven't got anyone new to actually hang round with, I don't belong to any group :frown:

There is also this group of boys, like jocks I guess. Quite intimidating in a mental way (like... I can't explain but) I don't think their "leader" likes me :rofl: don't know why but ah well...

So yeah. It's not disastrous but I probably should have gone to the state college :smile:

Thanks for asking!

I see. :lol: I don't know if you read my reply to your dilemma but I did say go where you think you'd be happiest! I know what you mean, you can always have a chat with people but in my experience, 'cliques' as we call it form pretty viciously in boarding/ private schools and it can be hard to get into friendship groups that have already existed for so long. New sixth formers usually end up making friends with other new 6th formers though, are there many new people?

No worries! Let me know how you get on and if you start feeling like you're easing more into it. :yy:
Original post by Lucy96
Haha no worries! :tongue:

Wow, you had 14?! Ouch, how many do you have this year? But hahaha so true :lol:

Glad I'm not alone! :five: I actually wish I had done geography instead of chemistry, or maybe philosophy! I'm guessing you still did very well? How did you do in everything?! (Including UMS if you're proud of them :wink:) Thank you so much, you too :biggrin:

Can't remember exactly but I think I've got 13 or so this year. Should be fun. :biggrin:

Fair enough, geog was soooo dull for me last year though. :sigh: I did well enough haha, got 4As, 1A* :wink:. No worries. :biggrin:

I guess it could be a lot worse, it's not exactly the worst university, just not the best out of the ones I'm applying to! I really hope so. If I were to do a masters at somewhere like Durham, would that also help? Precisely, that's what I'm worried about, I lack motivation as it is, so I need to make sure I'm going to enjoy it :tongue: And yes, I want to go into a very limited (and unlikely) field too, which is what's making it harder. (Preferably to become a primatologist/archeologist/a research scientist in any area of my degree). They are a fair bit lower than at Durham and I'm scared of ending up in an awful job. The courses have a slight overlap, but at Liverpool, it's a lot more biology based, I can do a lot of modules from a biology degree too, such as biodiversity, animal behaviour etc, (with aspects of ancient history, primatology and archeology), whereas although Durham's is biological anthropology, it has a bit of social and medical anthropology in it which I'm not so keen on. I know I'm much more passionate about the Liverpool course, but yes, I do have my doubts about employment prospects. I'm just hoping that if I went on to do a masters and then a PhD, I'd be in a much more comfortable position! Thank you so much for your advice, much appreciated! I'll have a good think :smile: who knows, Durham might reject me anyway :wink: sorry for the essay replies, too :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, I'm probably not the best person to ask about this so you're probably better off starting a thread about it and taking my advice within a pinch of salt but here're my two cents from what I've learned from snooping around various threads on TSR. I was under the impression that once you've got a master's, PhD, etc, the university you did your undergrad in starts to matter less and less, especially if you got a 1st for your undergrad. I'd assume doing a master's at somewhere like Durham would only be a good thing and improve your chances. :wink: I see, that sounds really interesting, I so wanted to become an archaeologist when I was younger, ever seen Jackie Chan? :tongue: Ouch, if they're a fair bit lower then that depends I guess - how much more do you love the course at Liverpool? I mean are the choices at Durham really quite restricted to just that or would you get more freedom to choose which modules you want to do in 2nd/ 3rd year. I definitely think though that if you can get a 1st from Liverpool and then do a master's/ PhD, that would help you a lot to go into the research field you want to. :yep: Bit of dilemma you're in tbh, you're probably better off starting a thread and talking to more experienced people. :colondollar:

We're in quite a similar situation tbh. :lol: Ideally, I'd love to go into research too (my field being maths though) but the pay that research mathematicians/ scientists get is somewhat deterring me. :s-smilie: I really have no idea what I want to do in life. :lol: Oh, and dw about the essays haha. :biggrin:

Latest