The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by Byrks
Oh, hey, fellow KCL non-partygoers! May I join the club? (Although I'm the first guy here... Weird.)

Having been through Freshers once and flirted with the idea of just 'going along with it', I can assure you that, if you really don't want to go clubbing, you really shouldn't. If you're shy, or nervous, or something like that, yeah, sure, go if you want, it'll be fine. But if you genuinely don't want to go, just, don't. You'll just be standing there thinking '... The hell am I doing here?' and wish it were over already. Let's face it: you most likely won't have an incredibly interesting conversation at a nightclub, and if you try pretending, you may be successful for a while, but you'll have to drop the act eventually.

Having said that, I can tell you that Freshers Week is only a big deal for those for whom it is planned. They'll have a great time and remember it fondly, and will continue clubbing with people they met. But for most other people, it really doesn't have much use besides settling in.

Although I like drinking somewhat (if you can call a bit of Kahlúa, wine, or cider drinking, anyway), I dread nightclubs and such, so this time I guess I'll try my luck with the quieter events and see if I can find others for video game nights (Mario Kart can beat any nightclub any day). I really don't think I'll do anything other than that.

Oh, and londonrose23, I'll be doing Maths too! (Well, Maths and Philosophy.) Nice to meet you! What is everyone else doing?

Ahhh that's made me feel a bit better.. thank you! :smile:. I will be studying Biochemistry so on a completely different campus from you guys
Reply 701
Original post by QuentinM
Anyone here from Exeter? I don't drink much (ok, pretty much at all...unless its weak), and I'm a bit worried. Just a bit. Not too much...

Original post by amylia_aelb
I'm going to Exeter too! I only drink very occasionally and don't like clubbing at all. What are you studying?

:wavey: What courses are you guys doing?
Anyone here from Exeter? I don't drink much (ok, pretty much at all...unless its weak), and I'm a bit worried. Just a bit. Not too much...

Original post by amylia_aelb
I'm going to Exeter too! I only drink very occasionally and don't like clubbing at all. What are you studying?

Original post by Cryl
:wavey: What courses are you guys doing?

OMG yes three fellow non-drinkers going to Exeter too :biggrin: Glad they'll be people for me to hide away with if trying clubbing gets too much :tongue:
Reply 703
Original post by BaconEmperor
OMG yes three fellow non-drinkers going to Exeter too :biggrin: Glad they'll be people for me to hide away with if trying clubbing gets too much :tongue:

:wavey: Another one. We can totally have our own little anti-clubbing group ^.^
Original post by Cryl
:wavey: Another one. We can totally have our own little anti-clubbing group ^.^

We'll be the most exclusive group on campus :wink: Any chance you're living in Point Exe too? :smile:
Reply 705
We'll be the most exclusive group on campus :wink: Any chance you're living in Point Exe too? :smile:

I didn't even know about that! I thought James Owen Court was the cheapest En-Suite accommodation and now I just looked up Point Exe, and it turns out it's the same price as JOC but is closer to the campus. Damn it. And I thought I did my research. :unimpressed:
Original post by Cryl
I didn't even know about that! I thought James Owen Court was the cheapest En-Suite accommodation and now I just looked up Point Exe, and it turns out it's the same price as JOC but is closer to the campus. Damn it. And I thought I did my research. :unimpressed:

It's only slightly closer though and it wasn't even one of my options, when I got the e-mail I was like "what the hell it that and who gave it that awfully unfunny name" :colondollar: James Owen Court is really big though so you'll be able to make loads of friends :biggrin: Point Exe has less than 50...
Reply 707
It's only slightly closer though and it wasn't even one of my options, when I got the e-mail I was like "what the hell it that and who gave it that awfully unfunny name" :colondollar: James Owen Court is really big though so you'll be able to make loads of friends :biggrin: Point Exe has less than 50...

They should've sent me that email too :unimpressed:. Meh. I think it'll be cosier when there are less people as you'll be forced to get along. I fear there will be so many people in my halls who'll all go drinking and clubbing and I'll be left out. :C
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Cryl
They should've sent me that email too :unimpressed:. Meh. I think it'll be cosier when there are less people as you'll be forced to get along. I fear there will be so many people in my halls who'll all go drinking and clubbing and I'll be left out. :C

Yeah I hope they're nice, don't wanna have to worry about people stealing my food :cool: The more people the higher the chance you'll find someone who doesn't like drinking or clubbing either! Anyway if it gets bad enough then we can meet up and find something alternative to do :biggrin:
Not knocking you guys or anything but I am curious as to why you choose not to drink? I personally find a night out is so much more fun with alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cryl

Dam, I'm in Lafrowda in south east of streatham...
Reply 711
Yeah I hope they're nice, don't wanna have to worry about people stealing my food :cool: The more people the higher the chance you'll find someone who doesn't like drinking or clubbing either! Anyway if it gets bad enough then we can meet up and find something alternative to do :biggrin:

Yeah. It's unfortunate they don't allow mini-fridges in dorm rooms! That'd be great! I'll message you a few days into Freshers Week (If I can remember - I have a bad memory).

Original post by MattBerry96
Not knocking you guys or anything but I am curious as to why you choose not to drink? I personally find a night out is so much more fun with alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile

My family just doesn't drink for some reason so I've never had a go. It's not even a religious reason - we're all atheists. I suspect my mum has a medical problem relating to alcohol consumption. But I don't wish to drink either because I've heard of so many stories where students waste so much money on partying and drinking. I don't want to get addicted and end up broke. :tongue: You don't miss luxury until you know it. So I'll just avoid the taste of alcohol until I'm in a financially comfortable situation. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only speaking for myself here, but...
*I react to alcohol pretty quickly and not that well
*Lost close family to an alcohol related incident
*I would drink, but I'm not up for drinking heavily
*Hate vodka, beer, cider, lager, wine, champagne...so what else is there left for me to drink?
Reply 713
Dam, I'm in Lafrowda in south east of streatham...

Meh. I have so many breaks on my timetable so we could all probably meet up when we have free time and are on campus, just waiting for the next lecture.
Original post by Cryl
Meh. I have so many breaks on my timetable so we could all probably meet up when we have free time and are on campus, just waiting for the next lecture.

What course are you on? Im on Clinical science, so I appear to have lectures 3-4 days per week, but with breaks in-between
Reply 715
What course are you on? Im on Clinical science, so I appear to have lectures 3-4 days per week, but with breaks in-between

Law. I have plenty of free time on Fridays and Mondays. :smile:
Reply 716
Original post by B182NP44
Ahhh that's made me feel a bit better.. thank you! :smile:. I will be studying Biochemistry so on a completely different campus from you guys

Don't worry about it too much, really. I know it feels like it a bit now, but it's not like after Freshers, if you didn't go out drinking and clubbing, you'll have a sign on your head saying 'don't talk to this antisocial girl, she's an outsider!'. During the first few weeks, you may see the partygoers having a busier social life than you, but don't worry, you'll most likely catch up eventually, talking to people from your lectures and such, or meeting people at societies.

Having said that, have a look at this. It lists a lot of events going on during Freshers, including quieter ones by societies (Creative Writing, Marrow, Feminist, Anime, GeekSoc, Christian, Shakespeare, Baking, etc.). A few of them seem pretty cool, in case you're interested. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As drugs go, it's pretty harmful and pretty rubbish (I know that's subjective). Plus everyone looks like a tit when drunk and it's really off putting when you don't drink. Plus you don't need to be smashed to have a good time. Plus you just grow out of it.

But really, it's a pretty pointless drug.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 718

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't that I disagree with alcohol or drinking, I don't mind going out and having a drink I dislike going out drinking. It simply doesn't inteterest me and I would rather spend the money on other things!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jadpan
It isn't that I disagree with alcohol or drinking, I don't mind going out and having a drink I dislike going out drinking. It simply doesn't inteterest me and I would rather spend the money on other things!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly how I feel too!
I belive you can still go out with others even those that drink and still have fun without alcahol.
The only diffrence is that ill remember the experience :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest