The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers 2013 Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by r0l0 tomassi
got rootes :P A-I on the car parking thing, are the newer blocks past I then? ah well, old blocks for that student digs feel i guess :L (history and politics)

Hello! I'm in Rootes and studying History and Politics too so thought of say Hi! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 781
I havnt had an email about accommodation yet either :O but i do have a freshers pass, am doing mech eng if there are any others about?? :smile:
Reply 782
Oh-kay! Bought tickets to Paint Party, Hall Wars and Comedy night all for £16 :smile: Then I shall be abusing all the free events on the other nights :colone:
Reply 783
Signed up to the Warwick economics Question Time. I'm literally going to be the only sociologist in a room full of economists... :rolleyes:
Reply 784
To anyone who couldn't get the freshers passport cause it was sold out, what events are you all buying? I bought the paint party, hall wars + freshers party - but I have no idea what else to buy... Anyone know what actually sells out before the night?
Reply 785
Reet guys, back from me holiday. Once I've sorted everything out, I shall be going through and answering questions from the last 24 hours (if there are any :smile: ) . If you have anything specific you want to ask about accommodation or freshers, please let me know by quoting me! :h:
Reply 786
Original post by Nirgilis
Reet guys, back from me holiday. Once I've sorted everything out, I shall be going through and answering questions from the last 24 hours (if there are any :smile: ) . If you have anything specific you want to ask about accommodation or freshers, please let me know by quoting me! :h:

Honestly, is freshers rubbish? What's the etiquette with lectures and stuff in the first 2 weeks, are they more relaxed, or should I expect to be pushing hard the minute I get there?
Original post by s_axo
Lmao and now its morning again. Sociology! you? x

Also, quick question to everyone: Do we pick our modules when the department contact us to do so?

Physics :biggrin: Hmm, what music do you like/can you stand death metal...?
Reply 788
Original post by Zeegie
Ahhhhh cool :smile: Chemistry for me :biggrin:

I have an ebook copy of our organic chem book if you want. 1300 pages :frown::frown:
Reply 789
Right, in no particular order :colone:

If you're quoted here, good luck finding where you've been quoted! :lol: . If you've been quoted multiple times, lucky you :colone:

Original post by girlikemoixx
I'm not really a party animal so is it weird that I just want to go to a select few events?

Nope! :h: . Most people only have some stamina anyway, so the people in your flat will all be going to only some of the events - you just pick which ones you want to go to and there'll be people in your hall that will want AND not want to go :h: . It won't be your entire flat going out each night :h:

Original post by sara :D
Ugh the freshers passports are sold out - does anyone know if/when they restock?

They won't, sorry :sad: . People don't generally tend to make the most of them, so you've probably saved some money :ninja:

Original post by Callum17
How many societies is it normal to join? I don't want to join loads and not have enough time to go to all of them :tongue: what are people planning on joining? :smile:

Also a stupid question, when buying tickets for the Comedy Soc Night on the 6th you can buy either Members or Non-members tickets, does this mean members of the Comedy Society or members of the university? :confused: I worry about stupid things!

How many societies is it normal to join? :lol: . Too many! :lol: . I was a member of 8 societies before I had arrived :colone: . Of those, I only properly attended 3 :yep: . It's usual to attend 2 or 3 each week, but do go along to the taster events so you know you've picked the best 3 :yep:

I know its been discussed before but I wondered as a non-drinker who hates clubbing and going out with people who do get drunk, how much will I be separate from everyone else? It seems like most people make friends on Freshers nights out but I won't want to do any of that so I don't know whether I'll be able to make friends as easily :/

Original post by millennial
Dont worry im sure there will be other non-drinkers too I have friends like you and we have alot of fun together its not all about drinking and clubbing :smile:.

Original post by Zeegie
I don't drink either :smile: there will be quite a few who don't do the whole clubbing scene thing, and I don't think we'll miss out on a lot, from what i've heard people don't exactly recall the gazillion people they talked to during freshers once its actually over. And people tend to make friends with those on their courses/halls/socs anyway from what I've found out, so it should be ok! :smile:

Original post by dragonrabbit
Same here, well, almost...

I do drink ^^ Hate (the idea of) clubbing though, and looking through the events lists left feeling "I don't fit into any of these", except possibly The Dirty Duck things, and the film soc quiz (I think I saw it somewhere...)
Left thinking a bit like I'd rather stay in my room until it's all over, and *then* go out and make friends gradually.
I'm hoping that there'll be more people like this/a decent number per corridor/flat so you can do your own thing with them.

I have written a lot on non-drinkers in the past and HATE the SU for not having a proper, non-alcoholic programme. However, you won't be alone :nah: but you will need to take the initiative a bit more than other perhaps might.

Firstly, everything settles down with your flatmates by week 3 or 4, so don't worry bout them really. You'll get to know them properly when they aren't running a 5pm - 5am waking schedule :lol: . However, if you DO see them at all, DO make an effort to talk to them, chat to them and be friendly. Yes, they'll probably ask why you don't drink, but shouldn't, unless they're douches, make a big deal out of it (then it isn't worth being friends with them full stop in my opinion :erm: ). As long as you try to get to know them, they'll be respectful of you :yep:

In order for your own entertainment however, not all of your flatmates will go out each night, so do pop along to the kitchen to see if people are chatting/playing cards or whatever. That's step 1.

Once freshers has calmed down, your coursemates start do organise stuff with each other. So you'll be invited to events with those people. As above, make an effort with them and you'll be fine :h: . Do try and turn up to lectures 10-15 minutes early so you can talk with the other people that are there :h: . This all falls properly into place by Christmas, so plenty of time to just wander up to people and say hi (which is the only way to do it unfortunately! :tongue: )

After all that, there's societies and sports clubs. I have said in the past that they are for students, by students. They're happy to see each and every one of you that turn up. So long as you stay dedicated, you'll make your closest friends here :h: . After all, you're all there for the same reason :yep: . During freshers, these societies put on taster sessions, for free. Make the most of it! :ahee: . I damn well shall be, and I'm a third year! :lol:

That's a small outline anyway :h: . I blog for the university, so shall write a more comprehensive article on this topic for you all in a week or so :yep:

Original post by Naami
Currently have 5 items in my basket:

Paint Party
CRASH
Hall Wars
Comedy Soc
Freshers Party

Total: £39

Wondering if the Las Vegas party is worth it...where is it being held?

The Las Vegas party will be a BIG thing, but is it worth it? The event, no. However, people are always glad they go just for the company. It will be a union-wide event, so there are no boundaries! :ahee: . Plus students always like the chance just to dress up :yep:

Original post by AJ-simbarsi
How are you meant to pay for tickets for your guests?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You, as the Warwick student, need to buy TWO tickets and you get your friend to pay YOU back. You then go along WITH your guest, he presents a form of ID, and you'll both be let in under your university card.

I got Cryfield accommodation, first choice was Jack Martin :/ Oh well I guess its an extra £50 a week I'll have to spare :tongue: I'm just getting worried cos people either say its alright or completely horrible so I don't know who to believe :frown:

Cryfield does have some negatives to it, but also has plenty of positives! :h: . It's close to the SU, has a BIG common room and means you have LOADS of extra cash to waste! :ahee:

Original post by Brainiac
If we arrive on saturday, are we allowed to go to both mtv events or not?

:yep: . If you think you can manage it :colone: . You do have to pay for both events separately though :yep:

Original post by Ryan Gregg
Couldn't be bothered figuring out how much I would save buying tickets to the specific individual events I would go to, so I've just bought the fresher's passport thing. I hope I am not the only one walking around with one of those wristbands or whatever it is :frown:

Everyone wears them as a badge of pride really :tongue: . There'll be people still with them on by week 9/10, don't worry :lol:

i bought one for the same reason, didnt really know which ones i would end up wanting to go to. I imagine at most i will have overpayed by 10 quid but its worth it for the freedom of choosing what to go to.

Exactly that :yep: . Plus, it's guaranteed entry to the events (before 11pm I think), so you don't have to worry about the events being sold out as well :h:

Original post by Naami
Oh-kay! Bought tickets to Paint Party, Hall Wars and Comedy night all for £16 :smile: Then I shall be abusing all the free events on the other nights :colone:

Do, do! :h: . There'll be LOADS of free events happening, you can pretty much plan your two weeks by the free events :h: . Do remember the student cinema has FREE screenings of The Hangover Part 3 on Sunday and Olympus Has Fallen on the Monday of the first week :colone: . I shall be at both (and you'll spot me as the person with far too much energy :lol: )
Reply 790
Original post by CureSam
Honestly, is freshers rubbish?

This depends on who you are, quite frankly. Was it rubbish for me? Yes. Was it rubbish for the hundreds of students who like drinking themselves silly every night? No :h:

However, there are LOADS of hints, tips and whatnots that I can impart to you to help make the experience better based on who you are :h:

What's the etiquette with lectures and stuff in the first 2 weeks, are they more relaxed, or should I expect to be pushing hard the minute I get there?

They'll be completely relaxed, yep :yep: . It'll all be introductory stuff, with not too much information. You WILL have to catch up after the first two weeks, no doubt, but don't stress over it :tongue: . The lecturers know what you'll be up to, so won't expect much, if any, work to be done in the first two weeks :tongue: . Deadlines will start appearing in week 3/4/5 depending on your subject, so once the fun is over, do hit the ground and work! :tongue:

However, if you were like me, you'll have a maths test in the first week, and then a biology test in the 3rd/4th week, so I chose to push hard instead of go out each night :h:
Reply 791
Original post by Naami

It's not letting me buy the tony lee one. It say you need the platinum card for it. Was you able to buy it?
Reply 792
Original post by GrimlyFish
Physics :biggrin: Hmm, what music do you like/can you stand death metal...?

I used to be a very big metal fan :tongue: so that is more than fine with me!
Reply 793
Original post by bbcs2k9
It's not letting me buy the tony lee one. It say you need the platinum card for it. Was you able to buy it?

That means that event has sold out, unless you register your ticket with a platinum pass :sad:
Reply 794
Original post by sara :D
To anyone who couldn't get the freshers passport cause it was sold out, what events are you all buying? I bought the paint party, hall wars + freshers party - but I have no idea what else to buy... Anyone know what actually sells out before the night?

I bought tickets for the Paint Party, the big Freshers thing, Comedy night, and will get the shirt for the MTV party on the Saturday :colondollar:
Reply 795
Original post by bbcs2k9
How do you know if it's the new Rootes?

I know A-I is part of the old rootes, read that somewhere.
Reply 796
Original post by JoeQin
Here is also ROOTES!!

Hey up :smile: glad we've finally got our accom offer :smile: what are you studying?

Oh and I read somewhere that A-I is the old rootes, not sure where the new rootes starts though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 797
Original post by CureSam
I have an ebook copy of our organic chem book if you want. 1300 pages :frown::frown:

Is it the Clayden one? I got it from the chem fb soc page lol.
Reply 798
Original post by Nirgilis
:h:

can you go to both mtv events?
and do you need to book tickets for the student cinema?
Reply 799
can you go to both mtv events?
and do you need to book tickets for the student cinema?

You can indeed go to both MTV events if you can get the T-shirts and think you can handle it :ahee:

And no, student cinema tickets are sold on the door, from 20 minutes before the advertised start time, to 10 minutes after the advertised start time :h: . So you have a period of half an hour to get the tickets :yep: . You can book tickets for the AllNighter online if we choose to pay the union's 10p per ticket fee :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest