The Student Room Group

accept uni place or retake the year/A2 ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by prettyugly
Aww thanks for the motivation :') and yeah definitely need to get my head down even if its a bcc or bbc that i get at the end of the year and yeah sucks how bad i messed up at AS but oh well. And can i just ask how many retakes did u do with A2 and were they in January or june?

Thanks again and the quote is spot on!!!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah just focus on your aim :smile: i think i retook 3 exams in january and then 6 in may/june it was ridiculous, i had to do all my exams again. ikr it's so accurate, and no problem- i hope everything goes well for you :smile:
Original post by romahen
my family pretty much forced me to take up the place (wouldn't listen to anything i would say about retaking :/) part of me still wants to do a gap year and re apply because i think i'll always feel like i missed such a good opportunity. but saying that, coventry as a uni seems like it's starting to come up in terms of rankings.

it's not impossible to retake on top of A2 and do well but you'll literally have to work your @rse off. someone i know improved in a subject from a U in AS to a B in A2 because they worked really hard on it. also if any of the AS/year 12 lessons for the subjects you're doing are on in your free periods you should see if you can go to them because it will help alot.

i'm gonna be honest with you though- i got similar grades to you at AS (CEEE) and i wish i retook year 12 because if you want to get As and Bs it's unlikely you will from the grades you have unless you work relentlessly (i'm not accusing you of not working for your AS exams btw) as your retakes will mean you'll have to work twice as hard. out of the people in my year who got A*s-Bs the worst they got in AS were Bs and Cs. the only thing is with retaking year 12 is that you could get fed up of school and lose sight of your goal.

I know it's probably a bit late but I was in a similar position to you last year I had done a lot worse than expected (BCC) and I had an clearing offer from wolvohampton which my parents were urging me to take but it just didnt feel like the right decision for me so I decided to take a gap year and reapply. I can now say I made the right decision as I thoroughly enjoyed my gap year and after achieving AAB I'm into the uni of my choice.
Original post by romahen
yeah just focus on your aim :smile: i think i retook 3 exams in january and then 6 in may/june it was ridiculous, i had to do all my exams again. ikr it's so accurate, and no problem- i hope everything goes well for you :smile:

Oh wow lol ill probably have 4 AS exams tops obviously in june and thank you, you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by littleangel9914
I know it's probably a bit late but I was in a similar position to you last year I had done a lot worse than expected (BCC) and I had an clearing offer from wolvohampton which my parents were urging me to take but it just didnt feel like the right decision for me so I decided to take a gap year and reapply. I can now say I made the right decision as I thoroughly enjoyed my gap year and after achieving AAB I'm into the uni of my choice.

You retook during gap year? And what uni are you at? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by prettyugly
You retook during gap year? And what uni are you at? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I retook during my gap year and now I'm about to go into my first year at Nottingham Uni :smile:

First of all congratulations! You have actually restored my hopes of resitting. I got into my insurance choice but I really didn't want to go despite my parents begging me to. Instead I have decided to redo some exams, do you have any tips and advice? I hope to apply to Leeds do you know how they are with third year applicants? Also can I reuse my previous personal statement? Thanks :smile:
Yeah I retook during my gap year and now I'm about to go into my first year at Nottingham Uni :smile:

Oh ok well done for that what course are you doing? And do unis like it if you do retake during gap year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by romahen
that's exactly what i think, if uni wasn't so much money i think i'd be more content with going to the uni i've got into.

that's the thing that's stopping me, i'm not sure if i can get my grades up to As and Bs because sometimes you can work really hard on something and still not get what you want.

I think you could do that - you'd just have to be pragmatic about it. :smile:
I completely understand about the problem with the universal formula, hard work = good exam results. It happened with my English Literature, which I worked to hardest for and was my worst grade :frown:. But, I still managed to boost it up a grade!
My advice is to read the mark scheme, just understanding what the examiners are looking for and being able to deliver it on a silver platter is the best way forwards.
Good luck with it xx I think it's always important to give yourself the best shot at something.
Original post by Procrastinator13
First of all congratulations! You have actually restored my hopes of resitting. I got into my insurance choice but I really didn't want to go despite my parents begging me to. Instead I have decided to redo some exams, do you have any tips and advice? I hope to apply to Leeds do you know how they are with third year applicants? Also can I reuse my previous personal statement? Thanks :smile:

Thank you:smile: It can be a bit scary retaking during a gap year as you can end up in the same position again but my thinking was its one year and if it goes well I end up in the uni of my choice and if worst comes to worst I can still get a place at Wolves or a similar uni. The possible benefits out weigh the drawbacks in my opinion.
I don't know about Leeds specifically I asked Bath, keele, Birmingham and Nottingham but most unis are fine with resist applicants and I'd say your only severely disadvantaged if your applying for really competitive subjects like Law but email the admission tutors for the course and uni's your interested in and ask them just to be sure. Yes you can reuse your old personal statement but I advice you to make some changes. It doesn't have to be much I think I only drastically changed one paragraph but it just shows that you've made the effort.
Goodluck I hope it works out for you:smile:
Reply 29

wow you've done so well! i wish my family would see that it's not impossible to retake and get what and where you want, they just think there's no point and i should be happy with what i've got because i've got into a good uni. aah i don't feel completely happy with my decision tbh, sometimes i get excited to start uni but my instinct is still telling me to do a gap year with retakes. unfortunately there's no convincing my family :frown: so i literally have to go.

Quick Reply

Latest