The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7400
Had a pretty bad morning going to the health visitor, then a couple of nurses from the unit came over to talk about ways to get on with stuff when Scott is crying. They either recommended getting a fabric sling to carry him in or do controlled crying/cry it out method which to me sounds like a horrible thing to do to a very young, scared baby and would be very distressing for me. I ended up feeling really low and needed to get out of the house ASAP otherwise I would start panicking or having bad thoughts again.

At lunch I looked online for a sling and they're like £50 which is insane for what is essentially a really long piece of fabric. So instead I went down to fabric land with my dad, picked up 5m of jersey and did it myself. I had enough for 2 slings so I made one for my friend who has a 4 week old as well.

I think in the end it was a pretty successful day despite the crappy morning I had so I'm feeling positive about tomorrow.
Original post by HmMusic
Had a pretty bad morning going to the health visitor, then a couple of nurses from the unit came over to talk about ways to get on with stuff when Scott is crying. They either recommended getting a fabric sling to carry him in or do controlled crying/cry it out method which to me sounds like a horrible thing to do to a very young, scared baby and would be very distressing for me. I ended up feeling really low and needed to get out of the house ASAP otherwise I would start panicking or having bad thoughts again.

At lunch I looked online for a sling and they're like £50 which is insane for what is essentially a really long piece of fabric. So instead I went down to fabric land with my dad, picked up 5m of jersey and did it myself. I had enough for 2 slings so I made one for my friend who has a 4 week old as well.

I think in the end it was a pretty successful day despite the crappy morning I had so I'm feeling positive about tomorrow.

Glad you managed to turn things around. :smile: Maybe you could look into more things you could make for Scott when you're feeling down - I know making stuff for other people has helped me no end at times.
Reply 7402
Original post by superwolf
Glad you managed to turn things around. :smile: Maybe you could look into more things you could make for Scott when you're feeling down - I know making stuff for other people has helped me no end at times.

Yeah, what I really want is for someone to come over and show me how to thread my sewing machine... I know how to thread the one at my Nanna's house but this one is all weird and has no instructions so it makes no sense. Even my mum who used to own it can't figure it out. If I could work it I wouldn't stop making stuff. I need to figure it out soon cos I'm supposed to be starting a new cosplay for my partner for MCM in October...
Original post by HmMusic
Yeah, what I really want is for someone to come over and show me how to thread my sewing machine... I know how to thread the one at my Nanna's house but this one is all weird and has no instructions so it makes no sense. Even my mum who used to own it can't figure it out. If I could work it I wouldn't stop making stuff. I need to figure it out soon cos I'm supposed to be starting a new cosplay for my partner for MCM in October...

Oh god, my mum's sewing machine is impossible! :tongue: I've got one of my own now that I've more or less got figured out (although I did break a needle on like the first day I used it :colondollar:), but yeah... you have my sympathies! Do you know the model number or manufacturer? You could try googling it or look for tutorials on youtube, or even writing to the manufacturer and asking if they have a spare manual. What costume is it you're making, or haven't you decided yet?

Knitting and crochet can also be good fun - I can recommend you a few books if you're interested. :smile:
Reply 7404
Did something really bad today. told someone it was 'a few bad memories' upsetting me when actually id just had bad flashback and was still sort of coming out of it. am really upset with myself. I always used to refer to flashbacks as memories even to medical people most of the time because so crazy making and shaming and humiliating etc and its taken quite a lot of time to become more open/honest about them to myself as well as others all the time (which btw i i put a lot down to this thread and a few awesome individuals being open themselves so thank you). im really annoyed that i would do that again. when i think about it i feel like i have come quite a long way in terms of acceptance and such so i dont understand why i would just say that. urgh. you know when telling people you're 'fine' makes you curl up and die a bit inside cos so not the truth it felt a bit like that only worse. flashbacks are nothing to be ashamed by and i feel like hiding them behind bull**** euphemisms is a major back-step to be taking.
I didn't cry on the bus today. :woo: First while in a long while. :smile: Appointment today went well- I was able to speak properly and wasn't nearly as nervous as I usually am. Was decided that I'll go back to school for an little while each day. They said it doesn't matter if I only manage 10 minutes so long as I'm in and have that contact with school. :smile: I wont be in classes, I'll be in the pupil support room so I dont have to worry about bursting into tears/freaking out in front of everyone. So chuffed- it feels like something is going right. :biggrin: And have volunteering this evening which I'm actually looking forward to doing. :woo: All in all a good day.

Hope everyone else is okay. :grouphugs:
Original post by tasha96
I didn't cry on the bus today. :woo: First while in a long while. :smile: Appointment today went well- I was able to speak properly and wasn't nearly as nervous as I usually am. Was decided that I'll go back to school for an little while each day. They said it doesn't matter if I only manage 10 minutes so long as I'm in and have that contact with school. :smile: I wont be in classes, I'll be in the pupil support room so I dont have to worry about bursting into tears/freaking out in front of everyone. So chuffed- it feels like something is going right. :biggrin: And have volunteering this evening which I'm actually looking forward to doing. :woo: All in all a good day.

That's great news well done you :hugs:
Original post by Sultana
Did something really bad today. told someone it was 'a few bad memories' upsetting me when actually id just had bad flashback and was still sort of coming out of it. am really upset with myself. I always used to refer to flashbacks as memories even to medical people most of the time because so crazy making and shaming and humiliating etc and its taken quite a lot of time to become more open/honest about them to myself as well as others all the time (which btw i i put a lot down to this thread and a few awesome individuals being open themselves so thank you). im really annoyed that i would do that again. when i think about it i feel like i have come quite a long way in terms of acceptance and such so i dont understand why i would just say that. urgh. you know when telling people you're 'fine' makes you curl up and die a bit inside cos so not the truth it felt a bit like that only worse. flashbacks are nothing to be ashamed by and i feel like hiding them behind bull**** euphemisms is a major back-step to be taking.

:hugs: Hey, it was a one-off, no need to beat yourself up about it. Besides I think pretty much everybody does things like that occasionally - like I'll sometimes say I took time off from uni for just vague 'health problems' rather than going into specifics. As a rule I do try and be open about mental health problems as I think it does help break down stigma and allows me not to feel ashamed about them, however that doesn't mean I should feel bad about the occasional time when I decide to take a break and skip the explanations.

Sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet - anything involving dates or planning just makes my brain go into hiding currently. :colondollar:

Original post by tasha96

:hugs: Great news all round! :five:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi all, not sure what to think today, been off my anti depressants for a week first day or so was I forgot as had guest round then thought I would see if I was any better and noticed a few things

I am eating more junk food but I think thats more as my energy is uneven so every time I get a slight buzz I want to treat myself, and related to that today I am up and down a bit in the sense I am going between half asleep and wanting to put music on blasting loud.

Also for the last week have been less relaxed in the sense that I dont feel like doing things as much as my eyes are dry and tired but because of the imbalance when it raises a little I feel "better" a little than normal until it dips so the tablets were sucessful in balancing things just not making things better.

Do not know what to think
Original post by Sultana

:jumphug: :jumphug:
Reply 7411
Original post by superwolf
:hugs: Hey, it was a one-off, no need to beat yourself up about it. Besides I think pretty much everybody does things like that occasionally - like I'll sometimes say I took time off from uni for just vague 'health problems' rather than going into specifics. As a rule I do try and be open about mental health problems as I think it does help break down stigma and allows me not to feel ashamed about them, however that doesn't mean I should feel bad about the occasional time when I decide to take a break and skip the explanations.

Sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet - anything involving dates or planning just makes my brain go into hiding currently. :colondollar:

:hugs: Great news all round! :five:

no worries :hugs:

Unrelated but google thinks this is too obvious to actually put in words :o:: when im doing a k2p2 rib in the round do I just go round knitting two, purling two continuously or when I get to a new round do I have to start again? I feel like this is very very simple aha but i cant get it to work :emo:
Original post by Sultana
no worries :hugs:

Unrelated but google thinks this is too obvious to actually put in words :o:: when im doing a k2p2 rib in the round do I just go round knitting two, purling two continuously or when I get to a new round do I have to start again? I feel like this is very very simple aha but i cant get it to work :emo:

Depends on how many stitches you've got, i.e. whether it divides into 4. But basically yeah, start over again each round. Simplest way to make sure it works is just to work the first round k2p2, and then when you're on the next round k every k and p every p:

k k p p k k p p k k p p
k k p p k k p p k k p p
k k p p k k p p k k p p
k k p p k k p p k k p p
Spoilered for the sake of the gents:

Spoiler

That is all :colonhash:

Original post by Sultana

I know it might seem like a step back but recovery isn't all a straight progression forward. In any case, as you say, you were still coming out of the flashback. Think you're being too hard on yourself lovely :hugs:

Original post by tasha96

SOOOOOO pleased for you, my lovely! :lovehug:

:wavey:

Hello! Welcome to MHSS! And, indeed, to TSR! :hi:
Reply 7414
Original post by rmhumphries
All anti-depressants are likely to have side-effects which actually affect you (such as tiredness / weight change / etc), so if Citalopram helped, maybe go back on that?

In the end the Sertraline has been increased to 150mg which is split as 50 in the morning and 100 at night. However if this doesn't work then I might consider going back to Citalopram :yy:
Managed the bus journey without a breakdown, but had to sit and watch my sister cry because her boyfriend is treating her like dirt.
But sitting watching my nephew sleep and holding his hands made me so happy :smile:

Just need monday to hurry up i think :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

Thanks, I am doing quite a lot of sport and it helps me to improve.

My main problem is probably, that I already failed too often at too many things. :frown: Not just grades ...
Reply 7417
:frown::cry2:

I can't cope with this.
My minds going in circles and i cant cope with it. Really dont know what to do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amador
:frown::cry2:

I can't cope with this.

What's up? :hugs:

Original post by PonchoKid
My minds going in circles and i cant cope with it. Really dont know what to do :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Do you have things you can do to distract yourself?

Latest