The Student Room Group

MSc adult nursing UWS 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Thanks for the advice girls, Even with those things in consideration id still really struggle. I've been applying for jobs elsewhere just incase, wish they'd allow us to take on a loan as well, looked into the student loans that Barclays offer for two years but it seems its only given if you need to pay course fees, and my credits really poor so I'd prob be rejected anyway
Reply 181
:frown: Deone. The only other piece of advice I can think of is contact student support at the Uni. There may be other options that we don't know about and they are the experts. Don't give up until every avenue is explored, it would be horrible to have to delay now.
Original post by Deone247
Thanks for the advice girls, Even with those things in consideration id still really struggle. I've been applying for jobs elsewhere just incase, wish they'd allow us to take on a loan as well, looked into the student loans that Barclays offer for two years but it seems its only given if you need to pay course fees, and my credits really poor so I'd prob be rejected anyway

Being a zero hours employee would be your best bet, i.e. NHS Nursing/Admin bank or a care home or something similar. We won't have a placement for another 2 months, but the course is 50% placement so it will be difficult to juggle outside work. I have applied for just about everything under the sun that I am eligible for and I still wonder if it will be enough. It's definitely a worry and I'm considering renting out the spare room in my flat for peace of mind.

I applied for a scholarship with RCN which you should look into, too:
http://www.rcn.org.uk/membership/scholarshipsawards/rcnmembers

Don't give up!
Reply 183
Original post by Lyns87
I've just started working as a bank support worker for the NAS outreach service in Glasgow. I know it's not quite hospital experience, but still good for your CV. Plus you can choose your own hours. They're always looking for bank staff.

Lyns how long after applying did you hear back from nas? I think my application wasn't as good as it could of been, I rushed it.
Reply 184
I think NHS 24 have started offering nil hours contract. Not sure if actively recruiting but keep checking the NHS24 website, there's a recruitment link.
Reply 185
Original post by Lyns87
They just ask you to fill out a pre course health declaration form which basically asks if you have any health conditions that they may need to know about....think it was a tick-box type form. This is the form you fill out at home and send back. The appointment just involves a review of the declaration form and blood tests, then that's it!

Any idea how long the appointment takes for the occupational health? Just I've had my letter through to say that my appointment is on Monday at 3.40 but I've got the doctors back in Glasgow at 5, not sure if I should cancel or if I'd have enough time. Will call tomorrow but just wondered in case anyone had already been for it?
Reply 186
Also, Deone - I emailed the auxiliary bank and they sent me an application, they might well be interviewing soon so could be an idea to call up and ask them when they're interviewing? Would be such a shame to put it off now, hope to see you on Monday!
Reply 187
Original post by Deone247
Lyns how long after applying did you hear back from nas? I think my application wasn't as good as it could of been, I rushed it.

Hi Deone, I've worked with them for 4 years and just recently transferred to their Glasgow service so I didn't need to apply. If you've got any kind of care experience I'm sure there will be in touch. I know they're doing interviews just now so you maybe just missed the deadline. They tend to have inductions every couple of months. When did you apply?
Reply 188
Original post by ChrisEmma
Any idea how long the appointment takes for the occupational health? Just I've had my letter through to say that my appointment is on Monday at 3.40 but I've got the doctors back in Glasgow at 5, not sure if I should cancel or if I'd have enough time. Will call tomorrow but just wondered in case anyone had already been for it?

Mine took no longer than 20 minutes. The nurse just went over the forms I had completed then took some blood.
Reply 189
I've got to admit I've got an irrational fear of somehow "failing" the medical and not being told I cannot continue with the course. I think my nerves are starting to get the better of me as Monday gets closer.

How is everyone getting there on Monday.
Reply 190
Original post by Lyns87
Hi Deone, I've worked with them for 4 years and just recently transferred to their Glasgow service so I didn't need to apply. If you've got any kind of care experience I'm sure there will be in touch. I know they're doing interviews just now so you maybe just missed the deadline. They tend to have inductions every couple of months. When did you apply?

I only applied on Monday :-)

i think nerves are getting to us all because the times finally here, I'm sure noone will fail the medicals even if the blood tests failed I'm sure they wouldn't discriminate but would just take extra measures to make sure noone causes a risk to others.
I know this is the thread for the MSc adult nursing folk, and im down for the MSc Mental health, but I just wanted to say hello again and good luck to all of you starting on Monday. Looks like we all have the same nerves. We'll share many classes, i think, so I hope I get a chance to chat to you guys in person.

enjoy your weekend! See you on Monday and thereafter!

Chrissy. X
Reply 192
Original post by Chattyhands
I know this is the thread for the MSc adult nursing folk, and im down for the MSc Mental health, but I just wanted to say hello again and good luck to all of you starting on Monday. Looks like we all have the same nerves. We'll share many classes, i think, so I hope I get a chance to chat to you guys in person.

enjoy your weekend! See you on Monday and thereafter!

Chrissy. X

You too Chrissy :-) see you all Monday :-D ! X
Reply 193
See you all Monday :smile:. Everyone ready for it?
Original post by shonaT
See you all Monday :smile:. Everyone ready for it?

Very much so! Can't wait :smile:
Reply 195
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this so bear with me lol!
Good luck today with yr inductions everyone! I'm just looking for a bit of advice, I'm thinking of applying for the January intake but to be honest I'm terrified! I have 2 kids and a mortgage so I'm worried about the intensity of the timetable and if it would be manageable with a part time job! Would any of you be able to tell me how many days you would be at uni etc?

Thanks x
Reply 196
Good luck with the course everyone, I decided over the weekend that I wasn't going to come in and postpone it untill next year, hope its all going well so far x
Reply 197
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering how the course is going? I'm starting in Feb and getting really excited about it all. Are there any books you could suggest for me to get? I'd like to get them now whilst I have the cash or it will be gone by Christmas :smile:
Hiya Steph, I'm starting in February too, I'm not sure about books as yet, they did say in the interview there will be plenty available in the library. I'm going to be studying the MSc in mental health, are you the same? Julie :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by xxjuliexxbxx
Hiya Steph, I'm starting in February too, I'm not sure about books as yet, they did say in the interview there will be plenty available in the library. I'm going to be studying the MSc in mental health, are you the same? Julie :smile:

Hi Julie,
No I'm studying Adult, but I think a lot of our classes are the same initially. Where are you traveling from? Can't believe we start a week tomorrow. I've not heard where we've to go on our first day, have you? 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending