The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fas
true , i think its rubbish anyway to be honest haha.

hows your application coming along ?

I'm behind most people I would say. I just got my first draft back and now after 3 or 4 hours of procrastinating I've started the improvements. I probably will speak for most people when I say this, but I really should have started earlier.

How about you, I'm sure you're well into a couple of drafts?
Original post by NedStark
I'm behind most people I would say. I just got my first draft back and now after 3 or 4 hours of procrastinating I've started the improvements. I probably will speak for most people when I say this, but I really should have started earlier.

How about you, I'm sure you're well into a couple of drafts?

4th draft , but tbh the 3rd one was just me cutting **** down and trying to get down to the 4000 character limit so doesn;t really count as a draft :tongue:

its looking good , i gave it to my Econ teacher today so getting it back tomorrow - interested to hear what she says.
Around what point will you guys start applying? My school have this policy that anyone who got above 2 A's have a deadline of October 15th no matter what university. For me I think I'll apply early, just want to get offers so I can focus more on achieving the grades.
Original post by Jkizer
My essays were generally higher standard for Unit 2, as i actually knew the technique a lot better as well as able to cope with the time demands better (Unit 1 i found rushing / spending too long on certain q's)

I suppose Unit 3 of economics is horrid then or something? xD

Also guys i had a chat with my tutor, and for my main subjects i got AAB. What do you think is a sensible insurance range ish offer for my grades do you think? Predictions likely to be A*AA-A*AB

No, I think A2 economics is overall quote easy, I preferred U3 to U4. I was very surprised to *not* get 100 in U3 :laugh: although I think the papers are getting steadily more difficult.
Problem is, it's a lot about technique so people who cruise all year didn't get A*s in my year because of their technique which is a real shame imo :frown:
How should I prepare for a Cambridge Economics interview?
Reply 925
Does anyone know when universities start giving out offers? Because I've always been told the earlier you send off your application the better chance that you can secure some early offers, but just wondering how early is "too" early i.e. being that early doesn't give you any advantage whatsoever

Obviously Cambridge/Oxford have interviews so can only give out offers in January and I've heard Warwick like to take their time as well. But does anyone know about other universities (like LSE, UCL, Notts, Bristol etc.)
Original post by Giant
Does anyone know when universities start giving out offers? Because I've always been told the earlier you send off your application the better chance that you can secure some early offers, but just wondering how early is "too" early i.e. being that early doesn't give you any advantage whatsoever

Obviously Cambridge/Oxford have interviews so can only give out offers in January and I've heard Warwick like to take their time as well. But does anyone know about other universities (like LSE, UCL, Notts, Bristol etc.)

Having stalked last year's applicants thread I noticed Bristol started giving out early offers at around October and LSE started handing out offers in early December. UCL it would depend on whether it's the L101 course (which a decision won't be made until March it seems) while the regular course started handing offers from November. This is all based on speculation though and may not necessarily be the case this year.
Reply 927
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Having stalked last year's applicants thread I noticed Bristol started giving out early offers at around October and LSE started handing out offers in early December. UCL it would depend on whether it's the L101 course (which a decision won't be made until March it seems) while the regular course started handing offers from November. This is all based on speculation though and may not necessarily be the case this year.

Thanks for the info
Reply 928
Original post by Giant
Thanks for the info

Original post by Boy_wonder_95

LSE Econ only gave a few offers in December, most were in March or around then, so you know!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys

I'm applying for PPE this year but am having a bit of trouble deciding on my fifth choice. I got 5A's at AS (average above 90, not that it matters for Oxford) and have been predicted 4A*s in Maths, History, Economics and English. Got 10A*s and a B(art) at GCSE.

My choices at the moment are Oxford (AAA), LSE for Phil/Econ (AAA inc. Maths), UCL for Phil/Econ (AAA inc. Maths) and Warwick (A*AA).

I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice in choosing my fifth choice. I've narrowed it down to either PPE at Manchester (AAB) or Phil/Econ at Bristol (AAA inc. Maths). I marginally prefer the course at Manchester, but would rather live in Bristol for three years and the university (as far as I'm aware) is a little bit more prestigious. That being said, my school are trying to convince me that I should apply to Manchester as a back-up choice because of the lower offer, but I'm not entirely sure. Because of the high risk of my application already I'm thinking about just going all out and doing Bristol :P

Would be great to hear your thoughts on this!
Original post by thisisjokes
Hi guys

I'm applying for PPE this year but am having a bit of trouble deciding on my fifth choice. I got 5A's at AS (average above 90, not that it matters for Oxford) and have been predicted 4A*s in Maths, History, Economics and English. Got 10A*s and a B(art) at GCSE.

My choices at the moment are Oxford (AAA), LSE for Phil/Econ (AAA inc. Maths), UCL for Phil/Econ (AAA inc. Maths) and Warwick (A*AA).

I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice in choosing my fifth choice. I've narrowed it down to either PPE at Manchester (AAB) or Phil/Econ at Bristol (AAA inc. Maths). I marginally prefer the course at Manchester, but would rather live in Bristol for three years and the university (as far as I'm aware) is a little bit more prestigious. That being said, my school are trying to convince me that I should apply to Manchester as a back-up choice because of the lower offer, but I'm not entirely sure. Because of the high risk of my application already I'm thinking about just going all out and doing Bristol :P

Would be great to hear your thoughts on this!

You're academic record is great (except for the B in art, I bet you're disappointed with that). If I were you, I'd go for Bristol but that's just my humble opinion. I'm sure you are expecting at least one offer from your top 4 anyway.
Is there any advantage to declaring individual module grades on UCAS? My school just told me that they usually encourage people not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NedStark
You're academic record is great (except for the B in art, I bet you're disappointed with that). If I were you, I'd go for Bristol but that's just my humble opinion. I'm sure you are expecting at least one offer from your top 4 anyway.

Haha thank you! Yeah the B in art is annoying but it's not too bad considering the fact that I can't draw to save my life!

I'm hoping for at least one offer from my top four, but you never really know I guess!
Reply 933
Original post by Fas
i didn't either but apparently Durham tends to have a fairly large bias against students who apply to Oxford or Cambridge , as they've got that chip-on-the-shoulder attitude and to them that means you don't consider Durham a serious Uni.

Normally i'd pass that as complete bull**** but my head of year told me that hahaha , and he's generally very good with UCAS Applications and the lot. i still think its a load of crap , but since im not applying to oxbridge it might be wiser to apply straight after the oxbridge deadline to show them that your considering them as a serious Uni.

It is a load of crap.
Reply 934
Original post by Bloxorus
Is there any advantage to declaring individual module grades on UCAS? My school just told me that they usually encourage people not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some universities (UCL) prefer it, I was told by an admissions tutor to do it when I applied (UCAS 2012)
Original post by Tateco
Some universities (UCL) prefer it, I was told by an admissions tutor to do it when I applied (UCAS 2012)

I got 5As overall but in 2 modules I got a B, I am applying to UCL so do you think it would be better to just put the 5As or to include all the modules as well? If I don't declare the modules will they think I'm not doing so to avoid saying I got some Bs anyway?
Reply 936
I got 5As overall but in 2 modules I got a B, I am applying to UCL so do you think it would be better to just put the 5As or to include all the modules as well? If I don't declare the modules will they think I'm not doing so to avoid saying I got some Bs anyway?

I'm not aware whether or not they are asking for module scores this year, if they don't explicitly ask then I guess I wouldn't put them down unless I had a good average UMS score, say 90+, because telling them you got a UMS average of 82% for example won't add to your attractiveness as a candidate.

Most people were unaware when I applied that they wanted to see module scores on the UCAS form, and if they want to see them desperately they will email you and ask for them (which they have done in the past), so no I don't think they will think you were avoiding telling them.

One thing you should definitely not do is pick and choose what UMS modules you put up there. For example if you got a 98% average in maths and 80% in everything else don't just put maths on there, because they will know you are aware they want to see UMS scores and know you are trying to hide something!
Sorry I thought that you weren't doing maths. If you're doing further maths then I don't really understand the problem, you can apply anywhere you like basically.

Basically, I'm asking what a good back up option would be that requires at least A level Maths, because ones that I have found so far only require GCSE.

Sorry I didn't express it more clearly!
Reply 938
Its better when mentioning books and essays, to write about criticisms of yours and what you learn't from the research/essay rather than 'listing' books with brief descriptions and saying that you entered all these competitions with a brief mention of your title right?

I just had a teacher rip 2/5 of my paragraphs because i only mentioned 2 books in my PS, and how my description of an economy's problem arising from rapid growth is 'too wordy' after saying how i did my EPQ based on it :s-smilie:
Original post by Tateco
I'm not aware whether or not they are asking for module scores this year, if they don't explicitly ask then I guess I wouldn't put them down unless I had a good average UMS score, say 90+, because telling them you got a UMS average of 82% for example won't add to your attractiveness as a candidate.

Most people were unaware when I applied that they wanted to see module scores on the UCAS form, and if they want to see them desperately they will email you and ask for them (which they have done in the past), so no I don't think they will think you were avoiding telling them.

One thing you should definitely not do is pick and choose what UMS modules you put up there. For example if you got a 98% average in maths and 80% in everything else don't just put maths on there, because they will know you are aware they want to see UMS scores and know you are trying to hide something!

i have a massive problem in the sense that one of the senior management team in my school told me they " refer to good scores and ignore bad performance " in the reference - pretty much the exact same thing ive bolded. is there any way to convince them to include all my AS scores for the 3 subjects im taking on next year ( didn't do great , highest score was 90% in Maths )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending