The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Freshers 2013 Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by Nirgilis

I have written a lot on non-drinkers in the past and HATE the SU for not having a proper, non-alcoholic programme. However, you won't be alone :nah: but you will need to take the initiative a bit more than other perhaps might.

Firstly, everything settles down with your flatmates by week 3 or 4, so don't worry bout them really. You'll get to know them properly when they aren't running a 5pm - 5am waking schedule :lol: . However, if you DO see them at all, DO make an effort to talk to them, chat to them and be friendly. Yes, they'll probably ask why you don't drink, but shouldn't, unless they're douches, make a big deal out of it (then it isn't worth being friends with them full stop in my opinion :erm: ). As long as you try to get to know them, they'll be respectful of you :yep:

In order for your own entertainment however, not all of your flatmates will go out each night, so do pop along to the kitchen to see if people are chatting/playing cards or whatever. That's step 1.

Once freshers has calmed down, your coursemates start do organise stuff with each other. So you'll be invited to events with those people. As above, make an effort with them and you'll be fine :h: . Do try and turn up to lectures 10-15 minutes early so you can talk with the other people that are there :h: . This all falls properly into place by Christmas, so plenty of time to just wander up to people and say hi (which is the only way to do it unfortunately! :tongue: )

After all that, there's societies and sports clubs. I have said in the past that they are for students, by students. They're happy to see each and every one of you that turn up. So long as you stay dedicated, you'll make your closest friends here :h: . After all, you're all there for the same reason :yep: . During freshers, these societies put on taster sessions, for free. Make the most of it! :ahee: . I damn well shall be, and I'm a third year! :lol:

That's a small outline anyway :h: . I blog for the university, so shall write a more comprehensive article on this topic for you all in a week or so :yep:

Thank you so much :smile: this is so helpful, cannot wait to get stuck in :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Callum17
How many societies is it normal to join? I don't want to join loads and not have enough time to go to all of them :tongue: what are people planning on joining? :smile:

Yeah, I think it's fairly normal to have a few that you don't go to after the first few weeks in your first year. Next year, you should have a much better idea of what you actually want to do.

Also a stupid question, when buying tickets for the Comedy Soc Night on the 6th you can buy either Members or Non-members tickets, does this mean members of the Comedy Society or members of the university? :confused: I worry about stupid things!

Society members, IIRC.
Reply 802
Original post by Nirgilis

How many societies is it normal to join? :lol: . Too many! :lol: . I was a member of 8 societies before I had arrived :colone: . Of those, I only properly attended 3 :yep: . It's usual to attend 2 or 3 each week, but do go along to the taster events so you know you've picked the best 3 :yep:

Hi Nirgilis.

Warning: please pity me sounding incredibly stupid.

I plan to join a few of the finance / investment societies, but am completely ignorant of the 'dynamics' of a society in general. In societies, what do you actually do? And do societies take up a considerable amount of time / dedication (the academic ones)?

Apologies, I just don't want to end up joining 10 pretty rigorous societies and consequently spending more time engaged in them rather than my actual degree :biggrin:
Reply 803
Original post by Selym95
Hi Nirgilis.

Warning: please pity me sounding incredibly stupid.

I plan to join a few of the finance / investment societies, but am completely ignorant of the 'dynamics' of a society in general. In societies, what do you actually do? And do societies take up a considerable amount of time / dedication (the academic ones)?

Apologies, I just don't want to end up joining 10 pretty rigorous societies and consequently spending more time engaged in them rather than my actual degree :biggrin:

That's not a stupid question, don't worry :h:

The academic societies will not take up much of your time at all. They will stick on lectures, talks and whatnot every now and then, as well as helping you with revision stuff. Maybe the more involved ones will have an event per week. So no worries there :h:

However, other societies may be different. If you join a sports club, they may practice twice a week and then have a match day for example :yep: . I'm a volunteer at Warwick Student Cinema, which could take up 7 days a week of my time if I let it :h: . You're in control at university, you manage your time. If it gets too much, just don't go along! :h:
Reply 804
Original post by s_axo
Signed up to the Warwick economics Question Time. I'm literally going to be the only sociologist in a room full of economists... :rolleyes:

I love to make fun of economists and their blind believe in equations for solving real world issues (after all I did study it for four years, ugh). I guess I should have a look at it as well :smile:
Reply 805
Got a shared room in the Benefactors. Not really sure about this, haha!
Reply 806
Original post by s_axo
Signed up to the Warwick economics Question Time. I'm literally going to be the only sociologist in a room full of economists... :rolleyes:

Ha, don't worry about it. I will probably be the only student studying a humanities degree in the banking societies :biggrin:
Original post by s_axo

I'd love to go to this, apart from I wouldn't actually have any questions to ask :frown:
Reply 808
Original post by grt
I love to make fun of economists and their blind believe in equations for solving real world issues (after all I did study it for four years, ugh). I guess I should have a look at it as well :smile:

Come!!!
:biggrin:

Original post by Selym95
Ha, don't worry about it. I will probably be the only student studying a humanities degree in the banking societies :biggrin:

This makes me feel much better. :P

Original post by NiceToMeetYou
I'd love to go to this, apart from I wouldn't actually have any questions to ask :frown:

Come, PLEASE!! I don't have any set questions either, and it seems there isn't a requirement for us to have any prepped questions. I'm just curious :smile:
Original post by s_axo
Come!!!
:biggrin:

This makes me feel much better. :P

Come, PLEASE!! I don't have any set questions either, and it seems there isn't a requirement for us to have any prepped questions. I'm just curious :smile:

Do we need to register? I'm guessing seats will be limited
Reply 810
Do we need to register? I'm guessing seats will be limited

Here you go: http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/events/2013/9/questiontime/#sthash.x4rgEz1p.KsIj1pYx.dpbs

Also, free drinks :colone:

Can't argue with free drinks :biggrin:

"As a new undergraduate you are invited to submit one question to the panel here. The question should be based on topical issue or current affairs, not necessarily related to Economics. "

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, now I have to think
:eek:
Reply 812
Can't argue with free drinks :biggrin:

"As a new undergraduate you are invited to submit one question to the panel here. The question should be based on topical issue or current affairs, not necessarily related to Economics. "

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, now I have to think
:eek:

OH GOD. I didn't see that. Best come up with some form of question... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Original post by s_axo
OH GOD. I didn't see that. Best come up with some form of question... :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This came up after registering and it seems they're all read by someone beforehand
as it says

"Please note you may only submit one question and it not guaranteed that your question will be selected. If you question is selected you will be notified by email in due course, and will receive full briefing notes regarding the logistics of the event"

I think they'll only select the best, but I still feel obliged to try and submit a decent question!
Reply 814
This came up after registering and it seems they're all read by someone beforehand
as it says

"Please note you may only submit one question and it not guaranteed that your question will be selected. If you question is selected you will be notified by email in due course, and will receive full briefing notes regarding the logistics of the event"

I think they'll only select the best, but I still feel obliged to try and submit a decent question!

How do we submit a question!? I swear I didn't see that after registering :P Oh god, maybe I didn't register correctly! OOOh are you an economics student? Maybe econ students are only allowed to submit qs :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Try this link --> http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/events/2013/9/questiontime/registration/complete/

Did you get an email sent to your warwick email account?
I just got one confirming my registration sent there

Edit: ooopps, I'm not an economics student but I think I registered as one as I didn't know which option to select for the student status :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 816
Try this link --> http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/events/2013/9/questiontime/registration/complete/

Did you get an email sent to your warwick email account?
I just got one confirming my registration sent there

Edit: ooopps, I'm not an economics student but I think I registered as one as I didn't know which option to select for the student status :colondollar:

I just got one! Thank you. I am silly :colondollar:

also LMAO. That is hilarious. I'm actually laughing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by s_axo
I just got one! Thank you. I am silly :colondollar:

also LMAO. That is hilarious. I'm actually laughing.

Made a COMPLETE MESS OF THIS. In order to try and correct my status I went back to register to select the right option, and now it seems to have registered me twice! :oops: On the up side it didn't ask for a question the 2nd time round, guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens now!
Reply 818
Made a COMPLETE MESS OF THIS. In order to try and correct my status I went back to register to select the right option, and now it seems to have registered me twice! :oops: On the up side it didn't ask for a question the 2nd time round, guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens now!

Oh my god hahaahah. :lol: I hope this means we can have double the drinks :colone:. I'm going to PM you. xx
Does anybody know where to find the sports based societies to join? I can't seem to find them on the website, anybody care to explain how it all works out? Do I need to buy the sports membership thing and then sign up whilst I'm there? :s

edit: never mind I'm an idiot on my phone and didn't see the sports tab next to societies...
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest