The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Airfairy
I'm just going off what I read on here.

"If either reference comes from a school in which the applicant has worked or done observation it should come from the Headteacher." :dontknow:

Like someone above has said, you might be best asking the teacher to write it but telling the teacher it needs to go through the head. I may end up doing that.

I must have skimmed over that bit! I can't imagine many headteachers actually writing references!

I think your idea could work though. I'll have to check when I go back!
Reply 461
Yeah I see what you mean. Still it's a bit awkward really because I have been at two schools, and like I said I don't want to bother one at the moment, and the other I only went to for two days and I don't think she got to know me very well. I guess I will end up asking my boss, but oh well. Doesn't matter. I might ask the place I was at for two days, or do you think that is sort of asking too much?

I'd probably go for the other school tbh. I can completely understand you feel bad asking when they've just had such an awful incident. But I'm sure they wouldn't want you losing out on a place because you were too worried to ask for a reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChelseyElla
I must have skimmed over that bit! I can't imagine many headteachers actually writing references!

I think your idea could work though. I'll have to check when I go back!

Yeah it's a bit stupid tbh. Since the referee gets sent an e-mail, I guess you would have to put the headteacher's e-mail down, and then hope the headteacher will understand that you want the other teacher who knows you better to fill it out.

Original post by kpwxx
I'd probably go for the other school tbh. I can completely understand you feel bad asking when they've just had such an awful incident. But I'm sure they wouldn't want you losing out on a place because you were too worried to ask for a reference.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've ended up e-mailing the teacher I did two days with. As few as it was, she seemed to be really eager to help me with my application, so I thought there was no harm in asking her. I did put that I understand if she feels she can't do it after only two days. If so then I will maybe try the other school. They are opening again on Monday (at another school though) so hopefully things will start straightening out.

Feeling a bit bummed out at the moment with these applications. I was planning on getting some extra days before I went back to uni, so like now, but I have been ill for ages so unable to organise anything :frown: I only have seven days at the moment, so fingers crossed I can squeeze in some more. I wanted 14, but at this rate I'd be happy with 10.
Reply 463
Yeah it's a bit stupid tbh. Since the referee gets sent an e-mail, I guess you would have to put the headteacher's e-mail down, and then hope the headteacher will understand that you want the other teacher who knows you better to fill it out.

I've ended up e-mailing the teacher I did two days with. As few as it was, she seemed to be really eager to help me with my application, so I thought there was no harm in asking her. I did put that I understand if she feels she can't do it after only two days. If so then I will maybe try the other school. They are opening again on Monday (at another school though) so hopefully things will start straightening out.

Feeling a bit bummed out at the moment with these applications. I was planning on getting some extra days before I went back to uni, so like now, but I have been ill for ages so unable to organise anything :frown: I only have seven days at the moment, so fingers crossed I can squeeze in some more. I wanted 14, but at this rate I'd be happy with 10.

Do you live somewhere different for uni? If so you might find it easier to find stuff in your uni town than at home, so could work out well!

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kpwxx
Do you live somewhere different for uni? If so you might find it easier to find stuff in your uni town than at home, so could work out well!

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I commute so I've been looking all around my area. Did have a few places lined up, but one was the place that burnt down, another told me I could defo go and signed me up for a CRB then ignored me since :/ , then there is one more but I don't want to e-mail her about it until I'm better, otherwise I'll just be messing them around if I need to cancel.

How many days do you have at the moment? You may have already mentioned but I forget :colondollar:
Hi there guys! Just wanting to join this thread as I'll be applying for this as soon as I get back to uni, so wanting people to talk to about the process, as it seems very confusing! Am I right in thinking that UCAS opens applications on 1st November? What should I be doing in the meantime to prepare for doing my application?
Reply 466
No, I commute so I've been looking all around my area. Did have a few places lined up, but one was the place that burnt down, another told me I could defo go and signed me up for a CRB then ignored me since :/ , then there is one more but I don't want to e-mail her about it until I'm better, otherwise I'll just be messing them around if I need to cancel.

How many days do you have at the moment? You may have already mentioned but I forget :colondollar:

I am an NQT! :smile: Did a PGCE and finished this summer, still looking for a job so spending my time on TSR instead lol.

Before I applied I had my year 10 work experience in a Nursery but that was a while back! In the year before I applied I had I think about 22 days - about 1/4 reception, 1/4 KS2 and 1/2 KS1. I applied for a 3-7 PGCE. (Did 2 days at easter, 2 weeks after I finished my year of uni and 2 weeks before I started back... 2 different schools).

So a bit more than you but really still not that much. It's so much more important to use it well! Remember you can always arrange more in advance and put that you have it arranged on your application.

xxx
Original post by dancing_shoes92
Hi there guys! Just wanting to join this thread as I'll be applying for this as soon as I get back to uni, so wanting people to talk to about the process, as it seems very confusing! Am I right in thinking that UCAS opens applications on 1st November? What should I be doing in the meantime to prepare for doing my application?

Yup that's right.
Writing your personal statement, doing my additional experience you can. Gathering all your certificates etc.
Reply 468
Just managed to get myself a week of work experience for next week! Would it be a disadvantage that it's at a Scottish secondary school? I'm visiting my boyfriend in Scotland for a week and thought I should do something productive during the day since he works full time. I'm hoping to teach maths, and since the curriculum is incredibly similar here and in Scotland, that will still count, right?
Original post by Shelly_x
Yup that's right.
Writing your personal statement, doing my additional experience you can. Gathering all your certificates etc.

Thanks, how many characters is the personal statement allowed to be?
Original post by dancing_shoes92
Thanks, how many characters is the personal statement allowed to be?

The same as the UCAS one. You'll hit the line count which is 42 I believe before the character count.
Reply 471
I am reapplying for my PGCE in Secondary Physical Education, as I was unsuccessful last year! I have just graduated with a First and just recently found another High School to undertake work experience! Has anyone taken there QTS skills tests yet? I heard you can't take them until you have an interview or a place??? is this correct??
Original post by Wiggy!
I am reapplying for my PGCE in Secondary Physical Education, as I was unsuccessful last year! I have just graduated with a First and just recently found another High School to undertake work experience! Has anyone taken there QTS skills tests yet? I heard you can't take them until you have an interview or a place??? is this correct??

I think you can take them as soon as you've sent your application. I don't think you need an application in place, but you definitely need to have applied. I may be wrong though, anyone feel free to correct me.

Original post by kpwxx
I am an NQT! :smile: Did a PGCE and finished this summer, still looking for a job so spending my time on TSR instead lol.

Before I applied I had my year 10 work experience in a Nursery but that was a while back! In the year before I applied I had I think about 22 days - about 1/4 reception, 1/4 KS2 and 1/2 KS1. I applied for a 3-7 PGCE. (Did 2 days at easter, 2 weeks after I finished my year of uni and 2 weeks before I started back... 2 different schools).

So a bit more than you but really still not that much. It's so much more important to use it well! Remember you can always arrange more in advance and put that you have it arranged on your application.

xxx

Oh right :colondollar: sounds exciting! Hopefully everyone on this thread will be in this position next summer, fingers crossed!

I am definitely planning on arranging some in advance and mentioning that in my personal statement, because I'm really pessimistic about getting on a course at the moment with my pathetic 7 days and unrelated degree :frown: I really want to go down this career path, I've never been more sure, so I just hope I get on a course!
Reply 473
I think you can take them as soon as you've sent your application. I don't think you need an application in place, but you definitely need to have applied. I may be wrong though, anyone feel free to correct me.

Oh right :colondollar: sounds exciting! Hopefully everyone on this thread will be in this position next summer, fingers crossed!

I am definitely planning on arranging some in advance and mentioning that in my personal statement, because I'm really pessimistic about getting on a course at the moment with my pathetic 7 days and unrelated degree :frown: I really want to go down this career path, I've never been more sure, so I just hope I get on a course!

Don't be pessimistic - be optimistic, and confident in yourself. It's potential they want, not experience. Yes... they may say they'd like you to get more experience, but in that case you can enjoy a year + of working in schools, helping children and learning a lot, then try again. It certainly won't be held against you that you've tried before, and the uni will give you a place when you're ready.

xxx
How much experience does everyone else have?

I've volunteered in 2 schools (1 for 2 years once a week, and the other for 2 weeks straight) and I have also been deputy manager/play worker at a children's summer play scheme the past 2 summers.

Is this enough? I know competition is tough so I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know how useful secondary school experience is when applying to primary teaching PGCEs? Been speaking to a supply teaching company and there isn't really any primary school work going in this area (because they have so many volunteers available), but there's plenty of secondary work. Should I go for it? On one hand it seems pointless being a teaching assistant for an age group I'll never teach, but it could also be really valuable...
Reply 476
Original post by alabelle
Anyone know how useful secondary school experience is when applying to primary teaching PGCEs? Been speaking to a supply teaching company and there isn't really any primary school work going in this area (because they have so many volunteers available), but there's plenty of secondary work. Should I go for it? On one hand it seems pointless being a teaching assistant for an age group I'll never teach, but it could also be really valuable...

It's certainly not not useful. For a start it can show you've experienced it to be sure of the age range you wish to teach. It also still had a lot of relevance in learning theory etc, plus it shows where the children you will teach are going afterwards.

However, you will definitely need experience in primaries as well, as they need to know you're aware of what you're going for and it can allow you to talk about relevant ideas and issues you notice while volunteering.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 477
Original post by steph_cook92
How much experience does everyone else have?

I've volunteered in 2 schools (1 for 2 years once a week, and the other for 2 weeks straight) and I have also been deputy manager/play worker at a children's summer play scheme the past 2 summers.

Is this enough? I know competition is tough so I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you have the minimum they state that's enough abs you are definitely I with a chance, though if you can get more I personally would always recommend it, like you say many applicants will have a lot and I would never say no to a chance to observe others' teaching :smile:.

The most important thing is what you take from the experience. Think about what you noticed about how children learn, how the respond to behaviour management, what it's like for a child and what experiences they have in a day etc

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 478
Hi, iam also applying for a pgce for sept.2014 you know when it comes to the 2 referees I asked my university tutor to be my principal referee which he agreed to but as my 2nd referee I asked my old headmistress which I also did some volunteer observing and helping out ect..is this ok or do I need to find someone else? My old headmistress said yes to being a referee already...I chose her as she knows my personality and how this would suit teaching

Thanks
Original post by Mimi92
Hi, iam also applying for a pgce for sept.2014 you know when it comes to the 2 referees I asked my university tutor to be my principal referee which he agreed to but as my 2nd referee I asked my old headmistress which I also did some volunteer observing and helping out ect..is this ok or do I need to find someone else? My old headmistress said yes to being a referee already...I chose her as she knows my personality and how this would suit teaching

Thanks

That's fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending