The Student Room Group

i got really bad as results help is needed :((

Scroll to see replies

Original post by booklover96
hey guys. i really don't know what to do as i got really dissapointing AS results which completely shocked me. i was predicted AABB and instead got CCDE. :frown: i feel like dropping out of college honestly i dont know what to do. serious advice is wanted please. :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: the worst thing is i have always wanted to do a science based degree but got the E in chemistry. i feel like such a dumb loser and don't know if applying to unis will be worth it.

I remember feeling exactly like you when i got my AS marks all the way back in 2003. my Chemistry grade was shocking and I had a serious chat with myself about what I wanted in life. I decided to also pursue a science related career, worked very hard and resat all 3 AS modules in my following A2 year. I managed to turn it around and got an A in A level chemistry overall. Never lose heart and view this as a great learning curve that you can build upon :smile:

Any other questions feel free to pm me.
Original post by Young Hot Stalin
I know this isn't my thread but please help :frown:
Is what you're saying about bad AS results, to re-sit AS completely, or re-sit particular modules?
Is is possible to re-sit AS but only certain modules, not the whole thing, and then the A2s the year after?

Well for me, my college would have never let me re-sit the AS completely so I had no other option that to re-take particular modules. In the end, it boosted my grades greatly. Yes, it is possible at least for me it was. You can do these re-takes alongside your A2. Granted it will be tough but with a little forward planning, you can finish your A-levels in the 2 years and have fantastic grades. You can may be try doing a few of the re-takes in January, though I hear that some boards (eg Edexcel) may no longer be offering January re-sits.

The decision you take should also be based on how many A2s you will be taking and their difficulty. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 62
Well, you could talk to your teachers to see why they predicted you much higher grades. What were their predictions based on and why do they think you did significantly worse? You need this information so that you can decide whether you just had an unfortunate "blip" in your exams and whether your performance is seriously inconsistent-or were your teachers just wrong?
You say your results shocked you,implying that you aren't the best judge of your own abilities, so you need some serious feedback from disinterested sources, hopefully your teachers.
hey guys. i really don't know what to do as i got really dissapointing AS results which completely shocked me. i was predicted AABB and instead got CCDE. :frown: i feel like dropping out of college honestly i dont know what to do. serious advice is wanted please. :frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown: the worst thing is i have always wanted to do a science based degree but got the E in chemistry. i feel like such a dumb loser and don't know if applying to unis will be worth it.

Maybe if you can its worth getting your paper back so you can see where you went wrong? Just because you may not have gotten the mark you wanted doesn't actually mean you don't know the content, sometimes it can just be because you need to improve you exam technique. I had this issue, I got a really low C in biology and i just had no idea where i went wrong because i thought i knew the content really well, so i got my paper back and went through it with my teacher, after working on my exam technique i managed to get a pretty decent A when i resat the paper and i was incredibly surprised! So don't give up!
Check this out : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2430259

Read my post on the 6th post down. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 65

I got CCDE in Chemistry, ICT, Physics and Maths. I really want to apply for Physics and I need CBB. Despite the fact I got a D in Physics and an E in Maths, I'm not giving up as I believe with a few exam resits and working my *** off in A2 I can get where I want to be. Don't drop out, either retake the year or retake a few exams and work especially hard next year. If you really work for something, you will get where you want to be.
Original post by Tilly Seargeant
Good luck :smile:

I have no idea I'm not applying this year.

I meant generally but okay, good luck when you do :smile:
I got BCEE what are my options?
I got a U in Jan and a C today - get your papers back see why you got those grades and work on it - more often than not it's exam technique rather than knowledge that lets people down.

Keep going - if you really want to do something it is worth pursuing until you achieve it - and you will if you get the right advice and put the work in.
Reply 69
Original post by Mollymod
Don't drop out. Don't worry about it. Honestly, I just got my A2 results and I can honestly say things can change so much in one year. Last year, I got BCDD, with my lowest grades being Biology and Chemistry. I want to be a Biochemist. What a joke! It sounded like a joke to all my teachers, and universities alike, but I knew what I wanted to do, and how to get there. And this year is my year of celebration. I now have an A in Biology. From a D grade, and only one retake, and a B in Chemistry, from 2 retakes. So you can do it.

AS is really only half the story, don't lose hope. AS doesn't always give an accurate representation of your strengths; it's hard work adjusting from GCSE level into AS. That's madness! I struggled with it, but once you get focused and ready for A2 as soon as possible, the more likely it'll be that you improve massively! It can be done.

I want to do biochem aswell but I got a DEEE- chem ,maths,bio,phy

if you did 3 retakes doesnt that cause alot of stress when because youll be doing that around your A2 exam peroid?
Reply 70
Original post by sliceofthepi
I meant generally but okay, good luck when you do :smile:

Oh right. Good luck to you too :tongue:
Reply 71
Original post by The_Blade
I want to do biochem aswell but I got a DEEE- chem ,maths,bio,phy

if you did 3 retakes doesnt that cause alot of stress when because youll be doing that around your A2 exam peroid?

Thankfully, I had January exams.
I did 1 Chemistry and 1 Biology retake in January, alongside one A2 Chemistry unit in January, that was only three exams. Then by March, I was in good stead to see where I was and what I needed to meet my offer. Then, I decided to retake one more Chemistry Unit in June alongside Unit 5 and didn't retake anymore Biology exams. So I did retakes spread out over seasons; and I did retakes that complemented each other. As an example, I did Units 2 and 4 Chemistry together, because Unit 4 Chemistry was basically a development on Unit 2; so I had to understand both to do the exams which lessened the amount of revision I had to do. It's about time management and seeing what works best for you.
Original post by sallyt137
Hi I got exactly the same as results as you after being predicted a's and b's. I chose to carry on and instead retake pretty much all of my as' whilst doing my a2's and ended up with abc. I then took a gap year, working at an engineering company and am now off to study mechanical engineering at cardiff this September- don't give up!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ABC is really good well done and congrats for getting in to cardiff :smile:
i got pretty rubbish AS grades including an E
and i'm planning to retake on top of A2, how many exams did you retake? and were most in January? and do you have any tips/advice as to how i can manage my revision? :frown:
thanks
Original post by prettyugly
and i'm planning to retake on top of A2, how many exams did you retake? and were most in January? and do you have any tips/advice as to how i can manage my revision? :frown:
thanks

Oh and sorry for all the questions😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

No u are not a dumb loser its the exam system which threw you down, lets fact the brutal truth cos some people on this forum hate the truth the exams were harder, no resists, teachers who can't teach the subject properly, not having enough time to understand the topics its not ur fault its the government.
Reply 75
Original post by prettyugly
thanks

I ended up doing about ten retakes, the majority of which were in January. All I can say is, work bloody hard from day 1, and you'll do it! I used to come back from school and do 3 hours of work until 8 (including having my dinner) and I did thatevery day and it worked! Just keep on top of homework and revise throughout the year :biggrin:
Reply 76
Original post by sallyt137
I ended up doing about ten retakes, the majority of which were in January. All I can say is, work bloody hard from day 1, and you'll do it! I used to come back from school and do 3 hours of work until 8 (including having my dinner) and I did thatevery day and it worked! Just keep on top of homework and revise throughout the year :biggrin:

How did you 'work'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest