The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

From radio times, a higher resolution close up of John Hurt from the poster, showing some of the 'clues' hidden in it:

Spoiler

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-09-11/doctor-who-50th-anniversary-special-what-clues-does-the-poster-hold-about-the-day-of-the-doctor

My own speculation about Hurt's Doctor and the episode:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Heather Peace wants to be the first female Doctor - Source
Original post by shadowdweller

first time I have seen or heard of her :tongue:

I really don't want a female doctor tbh but if there was going to be one I wouldn't want it to be a soap actress!
Original post by SciFiRory
first time I have seen or heard of her :tongue:

I imagine that'll be the case for a lot of people :tongue:

Original post by paddyman4
I really don't want a female doctor tbh but if there was going to be one I wouldn't want it to be a soap actress!

I'd quite like a female Doctor. Normally I'd agree on the soap actress front, but she's actually fairly decent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Well shes a Lesbian so she would get it on with the female companions lol.

But no I would not want a female Doctor just as much as I wouldnt want a ethnic Doctor not meaning I am prejudice but the character is defined as a white male and outside of parodies like the Millenium special he should be nothing different.

It is just a case of being different to just be different to get viewers watching.

Its just like Romana regenerating into a man, I could not accept it as it changes the character too much.

The Master I could maybe see as a female as his character is defined as changing, and I like in comics the Ultra Humanite from DC.
Original post by Feefifofum

Spoiler

I hadn't even noticed!

Original post by drbluebox
Well shes a Lesbian so she would get it on with the female companions lol.

But no I would not want a female Doctor just as much as I wouldnt want a ethnic Doctor not meaning I am prejudice but the character is defined as a white male and outside of parodies like the Millenium special he should be nothing different.

It is just a case of being different to just be different to get viewers watching.

Its just like Romana regenerating into a man, I could not accept it as it changes the character too much.

The Master I could maybe see as a female as his character is defined as changing, and I like in comics the Ultra Humanite from DC.

Because that is how it works :facepalm:

If they were to go for a female Doctor they prehaps should do it as the 14th (if we include Hurt) then it would be after Capaldi. Could make it interesting with the new gender and the Doctor wondering why she is now still alive.

Although I'm not pro female doctor, I'm not against it but since she used the phrase "I want to be the first Doctor Who" - I'm saying no.

75 minutes for the special? Was hoping for longer, will everything be gone through in detail in that time?
Original post by elitepower
Although I'm not pro female doctor, I'm not against it but since she used the phrase "I want to be the first Doctor Who" - I'm saying no.

75 minutes for the special? Was hoping for longer, will everything be gone through in detail in that time?

Aye espeically when you consider that two parters are just a few minutes short of 90 minutes!
I imagine that'll be the case for a lot of people :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:tongue: to be fair I hadn't heard of any of the actors to play the Doctor before they did till John Hurt and Peter Capaldi :redface: I'm not adverse to the idea of a female doctor, though I think the BBC will find it a hard sell no matter how they do it, the opposition from our society to anything that they even think might be "tokenism" or whatever nonsense people use to justify their sexism theseday's (it's all bull**** to me so).
Original post by SciFiRory
:tongue: to be fair I hadn't heard of any of the actors to play the Doctor before they did till John Hurt and Peter Capaldi :redface: I'm not adverse to the idea of a female doctor, though I think the BBC will find it a hard sell no matter how they do it, the opposition from our society to anything that they even think might be "tokenism" or whatever nonsense people use to justify their sexism theseday's (it's all bull**** to me so).

Weird question but is Davison and McGann the only ones that were really popular before being cast? Eccleston had done work but I don't think he was that massive and I have no idea about how big the first 3 were.

Oh that reminds me, not sure if anyone saw this but on the Radio Times a few weeks back someone was saying that their young daughter asked if the Doctor is going to be a woman, does that mean they'll have to change it to 'Nurse Who' :rofl: It was rather funny in an incredibly sad sort of way.
Original post by SirMasterKey
I hadn't even noticed!

Because that is how it works :facepalm:

If they were to go for a female Doctor they prehaps should do it as the 14th (if we include Hurt) then it would be after Capaldi. Could make it interesting with the new gender and the Doctor wondering why she is now still alive.

Some people do not understand when people are joking as evidenced by someone leaving me neg rep for saying that lol

But I still believe that the only reason a female Doctor would be cast is to be modern which I hate when shows change just go be get ratings or as its suddenly cool.
Reply 2312
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Weird question but is Davison and McGann the only ones that were really popular before being cast? Eccleston had done work but I don't think he was that massive and I have no idea about how big the first 3 were.

I think William Hartnell was a fairly big actor before becoming Doctor Who, as was Jon Pertwee. Don't know about the rest.
David Tennant wasn't very famous before playing the Doctor, just a few TV series.
Original post by Yoghurt
I think William Hartnell was a fairly big actor before becoming Doctor Who, as was Jon Pertwee. Don't know about the rest.

Ah good point, don't know why but I keep thinking all of Pertwee's big stuff is after DW. I know i've seen Troughton around a lot in Sci-Fi but sadly I don't know the dates.

Original post by ChocolateMelody
David Tennant wasn't very famous before playing the Doctor, just a few TV series.

I think everyone just sort of knew him as the quite handsome bloke from that one HP film :tongue:
Original post by drbluebox
Some people do not understand when people are joking as evidenced by someone leaving me neg rep for saying that lol

But I still believe that the only reason a female Doctor would be cast is to be modern which I hate when shows change just go be get ratings or as its suddenly cool.

Agreed, there is absolutely no need to cast a female Doctor besides a short boost in ratings. It has nothing to do with sexism, it is to do with the fact the character is iconic as a male.

Would people be accepting of a female James Bond or a Sherlock Holmes just because it is "politically correct"? No because those characters are male not female.

It will never happen anyway, it's too risky for the BBC when it is their biggest show.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Would people be accepting of a female James Bond or a Sherlock Holmes just because it is "politically correct"? No because those characters are male not female.

It will never happen anyway, it's too risky for the BBC when it is their biggest show.

Well, they did have a female John Watson.

Although that wasn't the BBC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Well, they did have a female John Watson.

Posted from TSR Mobile

D'you mean Lucy Lu from that Elementary show?
Original post by Skip_Snip
D'you mean Lucy Lu from that Elementary show?

Aye, that's the one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aye, that's the one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found that less of a problem since its from an over 100 year old book series set in Victorian London so in order to fit in with modern life it needs to change.

However Dr Who is sci fi for one and has a set established ruleset

I also hate the modern reboot of the Tomorrow People since the first 2 series were just teenage shows about psychics who could teleport and was basically Dr Who with teenagers with no time travel or space travel(apart from one or two exceptions) and America remade it to a generic show with a pretty box with muscles and waxed body in his late 20's playing a teenager and has a sexual relationship that is just changing things around and ruining them.

Back in the late 90's there was an outcry over Superman's powers changing into energy based so high that it only lasted a year as he was defined as a icon by his powers and costume that suddenly changed.

Quick Reply

Latest