The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by mynameisntbobk
You posted this a whole 2 minutes before me yet I didn't see it :colondollar:

I get a notification on my phone whenever someone posts in this thread (and I have no life) :wink:
Reply 201

It says up to 3 sciences, does this mean they may not include all of my sciences?
Original post by k1rby
I get a notification on my phone whenever someone posts in this thread (and I have no life) :wink:

But when the thread actually blows up, your phone will go crazy :tongue: though you can get away with having no life since you've got an unconditional for next year; you can just laze around
Reply 203
Original post by Mary.A
It says up to 3 sciences, does this mean they may not include all of my sciences?

If you have biology, chemistry and physics as separate GCSEs they will use them. I think they're just specifying as someone could have taken two chemistry GCSEs (perhaps had a weird school or on different exam boards) and so will have done 4 science GCSEs.

But when the thread actually blows up, your phone will go crazy :tongue: though you can get away with having no life since you've got an unconditional for next year; you can just laze around

True that and I'm loving this freedom - in a few weeks I'll be dying of boredom though :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 204
Original post by k1rby
If you have biology, chemistry and physics as separate GCSEs they will use them. I think they're just specifying as someone could have taken two chemistry GCSEs (perhaps had a weird school or on different exam boards) and so will have done 4 science GCSEs.

Then why would they also write best other subject(s)?? Doesn't that mean they would take less than 3 sciences into account because I know they will definitely ask for Maths and English Language? Sorry if it seems i'm trying to go against everything you're saying, I just want to make sure I cant apply here.

True that and I'm loving this freedom - in a few weeks I'll be dying of boredom though :tongue:

;'
Reply 205
Original post by k1rby

Then why would they also write best other subject(s)?? Doesn't that mean they would take less than 3 sciences into account because I know they will definitely ask for Maths and English Language? Sorry if it seems i'm trying to go against everything you're saying, I just want to make sure I cant apply here.
Original post by k1rby

Its no worse than the stress of A-levels, I'm sure you'll find something to pass the time though (gym, work etc) :wink:
Original post by Mary.A
;'

Some people only take double science, so they'd be assessed on science x2, maths, English language and 2 other best subjects.

People who do separate sciences will be assessed on science x3, maths, English language and 1 other best subject
Reply 207
Its no worse than the stress of A-levels, I'm sure you'll find something to pass the time though (gym, work etc) :wink:

Some people only take double science, so they'd be assessed on science x2, maths, English language and 2 other best subjects.

People who do separate sciences will be assessed on science x3, maths, English language and 1 other best subject

There are 2 different sections, one says; maths, English language, double science(2) and best 2 other subjects, while the other one says; maths, English language, separate sciences (up to 3) and best other subject(s) so shouldn't this mean they may not count all sciences if it doesn't give you the highest score possible?
Original post by Mary.A
There are 2 different sections, one says; maths, English language, double science(2) and best 2 other subjects, while the other one says; maths, English language, separate sciences (up to 3) and best other subject(s) so shouldn't this mean they may not count all sciences if it doesn't give you the highest score possible?

Oh I see your confusion then. They would count all your separate sciences (up to 3). However rare it is, there probably are some cases where people do only biology and chemistry/chemistry and physics/biology and physics. So in these cases, there aren't 3 separate sciences, so they use the ones you have (2).
Again rare, but some people may take a science on different exam boards giving them 2 of that science, so they could have 4+ sciences, but Leicester only use up to 3 in this case
Reply 209
Oh I see your confusion then. They would count all your separate sciences (up to 3). However rare it is, there probably are some cases where people do only biology and chemistry/chemistry and physics/biology and physics. So in these cases, there aren't 3 separate sciences, so they use the ones you have (2).
Again rare, but some people may take a science on different exam boards giving them 2 of that science, so they could have 4+ sciences, but Leicester only use up to 3 in this case

Thank you :smile: So does this mean I shouldn't apply to Leicester because of my score of 56??
Reply 210
Original post by Mary.A
Thank you :smile: So does this mean I shouldn't apply to Leicester because of my score of 56??

Last year, scores of 56 had their personal statements scored out of 30 and ranked with the highest getting the remaining interview places (not sure what percentage got interviews though). It's up to you really; some people would risk it, others wouldn't. :smile:
I'm applying for grad at Leicester this year. I've just seen on their faqs that you must live within 20 miles to go. I was planning on commuting from home, about an hour each way. I can't really afford to live there and I don't want to live on campus. Does anyone know how strict they are about this for graduates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amyk89
I'm applying for grad at Leicester this year. I've just seen on their faqs that you must live within 20 miles to go. I was planning on commuting from home, about an hour each way. I can't really afford to live there and I don't want to live on campus. Does anyone know how strict they are about this for graduates

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same rule was put on our info pack too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
Original post by Amyk89

Not sure but you should email them and explain your situation. :smile:
Original post by k1rby
Not sure but you should email them and explain your situation. :smile:

Thanks I will do. I would hate to miss out on it because of something like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
What do you guys think would be the minimum score you need out of 60 to guarantee an interview? Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Amyk89

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 hours travel each day can be very demanding. Especially in the later years. As others have suggested, it might be worth explaining the situation to the medical school
Original post by StudentAT
What do you guys think would be the minimum score you need out of 60 to guarantee an interview? Thank you

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Last year was 57. I'd imagine similar or higher this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Magician
2 hours travel each day can be very demanding. Especially in the later years. As others have suggested, it might be worth explaining the situation to the medical school

Thanks I will do. Just looked and it's only 25 miles so a bit over (and more like 45 mins). It would be less taxing on me personally than trying to afford to live on my own (I really dislike sharing) but it's something that I would reassess each year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi can someone please tell me what my score would be:
Gcses: 8A* (including maths english and chem and physics) 4A's (biology included)
As levels: AAAB chemistry maths spanish and biology respectively
UKCAT: 2960 band 1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending