The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Veterinary Applicants 2014 :)

Hi!!
While looking for a thread for us postgrad vet applicants, I saw there were threads for courses starting in 2013 and 2015 but not 2014 so decided to start a new one to meet other people applying and talk vetty-related stuff! :smile:
I'm 19 and applied for 2011 entry and didn't get in so am doing a degree in Aquatic zoology at the moment and am reapplying in September to Cambridge, RVC, Liverpool and either Nottingham or Bristol :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello!!
I've been hoping somebody would start this thread! I'm a little bit older (25) as I've done my undergrad degree in Zoology and now I'm in my second year studying a Masters in Equine Science! I'll be applying this September to Liverpool, Bristol, RVC and Notts, but I can't make my mind up whether to start next year (if I get a place) or defer and save up for a year??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jenni87
Hello!!
I've been hoping somebody would start this thread! I'm a little bit older (25) as I've done my undergrad degree in Zoology and now I'm in my second year studying a Masters in Equine Science! I'll be applying this September to Liverpool, Bristol, RVC and Notts, but I can't make my mind up whether to start next year (if I get a place) or defer and save up for a year??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have a MSc in equine science! I am an Aber grad (aberystwyth). (my firat degree was also equine sci from aber). Im a this year applicant and got 1 rejection from notts, 2 interviews (liv but withdrew and rvc) and 2 conditional offers for bristol and the 5 yr at rvc. Prob going to go to rvc. I have conditionals as ive had to go back to college to do a level chem (didnt do it originally to a2) and bio (only got a c).
Btw, you now have the option of applying to 4 "cheap" unis, ie they dont charge more than the normal £9000 fee. These are bristol, rvc, notts and cambridge (though there is a college fee here per year as well so its not as cheap). Also you will be able to apply to surrey as their vet school opens for 2014 entry. Dont know what the fees will be but worth checking it out.
Anyway good luck with your masters and degrees and your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by miffy56
I have a MSc in equine science! I am an Aber grad (aberystwyth). (my firat degree was also equine sci from aber). Im a this year applicant and got 1 rejection from notts, 2 interviews (liv but withdrew and rvc) and 2 conditional offers for bristol and the 5 yr at rvc. Prob going to go to rvc. I have conditionals as ive had to go back to college to do a level chem (didnt do it originally to a2) and bio (only got a c).
Btw, you now have the option of applying to 4 "cheap" unis, ie they dont charge more than the normal £9000 fee. These are bristol, rvc, notts and cambridge (though there is a college fee here per year as well so its not as cheap). Also you will be able to apply to surrey as their vet school opens for 2014 entry. Dont know what the fees will be but worth checking it out.
Anyway good luck with your masters and degrees and your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for this, great help! I'm swaying towards the uni's you've mentioned,however im only 20 mins from Liverpool so could cut out living costs and stay at home! Need to apply first tho, I'm just getting overexcited thinking about it! I'm just stressing with the work experience now,I'm working full time as well to save for fees and have managed to talk walk into ten weeks of holidays that I've filled with placement a but don't know if it's going to be enough! I have done more previously but it's over 3 years ago so doubt they'll count it! Do you mind me asking what you'd done before application?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi, i'm thinking about applying for 2014 graduate entry. I'm currently in my third year of four studying biology in St Andrews. The main thing i'm worried about is my lack of work experience so far. I have quite a lot of farm and equine experience from before my undergrad but that was 3 years ago and I haven't done that much since. A couple of summers ago I worked at a summer camp in the US, teaching riding and last summer I worked in a bio lab, do you think this would count?

My major question do you think I can get the required work experience in from now until application time, or would it be best to take a year out after graduating to get the required experience and apply then? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lillyann92
Hi, i'm thinking about applying for 2014 graduate entry. I'm currently in my third year of four studying biology in St Andrews. The main thing i'm worried about is my lack of work experience so far. I have quite a lot of farm and equine experience from before my undergrad but that was 3 years ago and I haven't done that much since. A couple of summers ago I worked at a summer camp in the US, teaching riding and last summer I worked in a bio lab, do you think this would count?

My major question do you think I can get the required work experience in from now until application time, or would it be best to take a year out after graduating to get the required experience and apply then? :smile:

I was in a similar position to yourself, I'd done about 20 weeks work experience prior but it was at least 3 years ago. I've tried to fit in 10 weeks this summer, 2 weeks SA in separate practices, 1 week LA, 1 week equine, 1 week dairy, one week pigs, one week zoo, one week stables, one week donkey santuary, one week kennels, plus I've already done a week lambing last year. I'd check with the unis, some wont accept work experience if its over a certain time span ago?

You've got five months to get as much in as possible, see how you feel before applying as to how much you've got done this summer and take it from there?? You just want to give yourself the best chance when you do apply. A year off may also give you the chance to save some pennies for fees?
Reply 6
Original post by jenni87
Thanks for this, great help! I'm swaying towards the uni's you've mentioned,however im only 20 mins from Liverpool so could cut out living costs and stay at home! Need to apply first tho, I'm just getting overexcited thinking about it! I'm just stressing with the work experience now,I'm working full time as well to save for fees and have managed to talk walk into ten weeks of holidays that I've filled with placement a but don't know if it's going to be enough! I have done more previously but it's over 3 years ago so doubt they'll count it! Do you mind me asking what you'd done before application?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, a lot of my horse experience was over 3 years, but apart from Liv, none of the others asked when date-wise I did my experience. In fact, Notts only let you right 5 different places and Bristol didn't ask for any! (Although I think they ask non-grads or grads they don't give an offer to without interview) RVC asked for all but you didn't have to put when, just how many days. Most of my current work experience I did during a pre-pgce (teaching) course at Sussex Uni called Subject knowledge Enhancement in Chemistry. I did it during the holidays and the odd week where we didn't have to be in. In total, pre application I had 3 week SA vet (2 diff vets, 1 being a referral hosp), 1 week LA vet, 1 week equine vet (with surgery, the whole caboodle), 2 week dairy farm, 14 months (1 day/week sometimes a few more) with working shire horses, looking after 4 cows, catching pigs, looking after chickens and geese (it is an open air museum), 3 month (1 day/week sometimes more) animal sanctuary (I mainly look after rabbits and g-piggies but also involved with quail, chickens, and miniature horse and donkey and the odd cat I have a hug with), and then over three years old, 6 weeks at a large riding school/small stud, 1 week at a RDA stables, 3 month (1 arvo a week) at my old riding school/large livery yard, and 1 night lambing at a uni farm. I think that's it, could be more and ive just forgotten. On my PS, I didnt mention every place, just some things I had seen and learnt in a few places. Currently, Im still at the animal sanctuary and I am lambing next week, eek!!! I would advise getting a voluntary job at a shelter or sanctuary or stable 1 day a week, plus the majors, eg stables, farm, sa establishment eg kennels (I didnt have kennels though) plus each vet type. I tried to get abattoir and lab but none got back to me.
Btw, where are you doing your MSc? What is your diss on/going to be on? I did distribution of pressure under the saddle, looking at different variables of riders, eg experience, weight, height, sex etc. Was fun to do, but then spent a summer on excel and hated it. Also the pressure pad broke just before I was going to use it and then had to wait 4 months for it to be fixed IN CANADA!! Should have done something nutrition based. That is what I know best.

Original post by lillyann92

My sister is in her final year at St Andrews. She is doing Medieval History. Some people say they do take into consideration that you have been at uni and so less able to get experience but you should try and get as much as poss, eg. fill up your summer hols with placements. The majors would be stables, farm, sa place plus the major vet types. however, when it comes to writing about it in your PS, write about things you learnt about the profession, skills you saw that the vets had, don't list everything you've done.
Reply 7
Hi!

I was a graduate applicant this year (and last year) and got an offer from Bristol this year, if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to help. Good luck for this year!
Reply 8
Original post by Eevee13
Hi!

I was a graduate applicant this year (and last year) and got an offer from Bristol this year, if you have any questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to help. Good luck for this year!

Hello!!

What had you done previously? Also what work ex had you done? I'd love to get into Bristol, it seems a lovely place!! How are you finding it?
Reply 9
Original post by jenni87
Hello!!

What had you done previously? Also what work ex had you done? I'd love to get into Bristol, it seems a lovely place!! How are you finding it?

Hiya, I did Animal Science at Hartpury before. Work experience wise I will try and remember!

2 years weekends at a cattery (while at 6th form)
1 year, 2 days a week stables (year 1 of uni)
3 years, once a month at rabbit rescue (still doing)
2 years, 1 - 2 days a week at small animal vets
2 weeks SA referral vets
1 week mixed practice
1 week SA/equine practice
1 week equine practice
2 weeks dairy + beef farm
2 days lambing
1 day abattoir
10 months lab work (job after graduating)

I can't remember if there was anything else off the top of my head! All except cattery I did during my degree and the short term placements I did the summer holiday before I applied first time around.

I start at Bristol in October so can answer you then :P But I love Bristol too and am so happy to have a place there :smile: I live nearby so I have always loved it there!
Reply 10
Hi everyone!
I am currently taking Animal Science at Nottingham University and I am expected to graduate first class honours.
I have BCC at alevels in bio chem and maths respectively. I also have an A in EPQ...(not that it has ever really counted for anything!).
I have ok GCSEs (10x A*-B grades)
My work experience is as follows:
1 week petshop
4x week SA practice
1 week wildlife centre
every weekend for 4 months at a zoo
1 week lambing
1 week at a mixed farm
1 week LA (equine) practice
1 week Zoo
3 days lab
1 day abattoir
once a week 6 months dog walking.

I have spoken to most of the unis...
I have got feedback:
Nottingham : don't bother applying because I don't have a B in chemistry
Bristol: said the same as Nottingham
Cambridge: needed 3 A's at Alevel in addition to a 2.1 to be considered as a competitive candidate
RVC: all is fine as long as I get a min of a 2.1
Liverpool: same as RVC
Edinburgh: same as RVC - but may be a bit too pricey for me
Glasgow: cannot seem to get a response from them at all!
UCD: haven't heard back from them either

Please could anyone offer any advice about where I should apply to, has any one else heard of people getting in to Nottingham or Bristol with a C in chemistry?
Also if anyone has any personal statement or BMAT advice then that would be really appreciated as both are bogging me down atm!

Reply 11
Original post by Eevee13
Hiya, I did Animal Science at Hartpury before. Work experience wise I will try and remember!

2 years weekends at a cattery (while at 6th form)
1 year, 2 days a week stables (year 1 of uni)
3 years, once a month at rabbit rescue (still doing)
2 years, 1 - 2 days a week at small animal vets
2 weeks SA referral vets
1 week mixed practice
1 week SA/equine practice
1 week equine practice
2 weeks dairy + beef farm
2 days lambing
1 day abattoir
10 months lab work (job after graduating)

I can't remember if there was anything else off the top of my head! All except cattery I did during my degree and the short term placements I did the summer holiday before I applied first time around.

I start at Bristol in October so can answer you then :P But I love Bristol too and am so happy to have a place there :smile: I live nearby so I have always loved it there!

Hi would you mind if I ask what your Alevels grades were? Also, where is did you apply to and did you have any other interviews?
Thanks
Amy
Reply 12
Original post by 8551amy
Hi would you mind if I ask what your Alevels grades were? Also, where is did you apply to and did you have any other interviews?
Thanks
Amy

Hiya,

I got BBD at A level, (biology, psychology, chemistry), I applied twice as I didn't get in first time. Last year I got rejected from Notts, interviews at RVC and Bristol and an offer from Edinburgh (couldn't afford it though so declined). This year I got an interview at Bristol, and didn't do well enough in the BMAT for RVC (didn't apply elsewhere).

However I also sent a doctors note because I had extenuating circumstances, separate reference from my old teacher as he knew what I was going through at the time, as well as putting everything I could into all other aspect of my application (BMAT, statement, w/ex) to try and show it was just a blip!

To answer your other post, what you have heard back from Notts and Bristol sounds accurate, I don't know anyone else so far with less than a B who got into Bristol except me, I think my doctors note must have helped. Notts are renowned for being very difficult for grads to get into, I think they only have a very small number of places. Liverpool are definitely a good one to apply for, as is RVC. UCD I believe don't take into account your A levels either. Glasgow I am sure are similar price to Edinburgh.

Statement wise, have you checked the Personal statement guide? And also you can use the personal statement help service to get a review of your statement too :smile: If you have any grad specific questions about your statement I'm happy to help out.

BMAT wise, have you looked at all the past papers on the BMAT site? I personally used GCSE books first to revise the maths/science as I hadn't done it for about 6 - 7 years, then moved on to the official BMAT book and past papers. I also used a book called 400 BMAT practice questions. I focused on getting used to timing, remember you aren't supposed to know all the answers so I was very strict with myself and once a minute was up, moved to the next question. It's better to do the ones you know first then guess at the end if you have to!

Any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Eevee13
Hiya,

I got BBD at A level, (biology, psychology, chemistry), I applied twice as I didn't get in first time. Last year I got rejected from Notts, interviews at RVC and Bristol and an offer from Edinburgh (couldn't afford it though so declined). This year I got an interview at Bristol, and didn't do well enough in the BMAT for RVC (didn't apply elsewhere).

However I also sent a doctors note because I had extenuating circumstances, separate reference from my old teacher as he knew what I was going through at the time, as well as putting everything I could into all other aspect of my application (BMAT, statement, w/ex) to try and show it was just a blip!

To answer your other post, what you have heard back from Notts and Bristol sounds accurate, I don't know anyone else so far with less than a B who got into Bristol except me, I think my doctors note must have helped. Notts are renowned for being very difficult for grads to get into, I think they only have a very small number of places. Liverpool are definitely a good one to apply for, as is RVC. UCD I believe don't take into account your A levels either. Glasgow I am sure are similar price to Edinburgh.

Statement wise, have you checked the Personal statement guide? And also you can use the personal statement help service to get a review of your statement too :smile: If you have any grad specific questions about your statement I'm happy to help out.

BMAT wise, have you looked at all the past papers on the BMAT site? I personally used GCSE books first to revise the maths/science as I hadn't done it for about 6 - 7 years, then moved on to the official BMAT book and past papers. I also used a book called 400 BMAT practice questions. I focused on getting used to timing, remember you aren't supposed to know all the answers so I was very strict with myself and once a minute was up, moved to the next question. It's better to do the ones you know first then guess at the end if you have to!

Any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck with your application :smile:

Thank you very much for your advice, I think you're right about Bristol and Nottingham, and im with you on the Scottish unis - too expensive! yes I have had a look at the BMAT site and I was lucky enough to meet someone who had just done the BMAT this year and she gave me some of her old books, one of which was the 400 BMAT questions one - im finding it quite useful. How did you do on the BMAT, if you don't mind me asking? Did you get any help from a college/school, as I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage without it?
Also how much work experience did you do, and do they care how long ago it was?
Thanks again :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by 8551amy
Thank you very much for your advice, I think you're right about Bristol and Nottingham, and im with you on the Scottish unis - too expensive! yes I have had a look at the BMAT site and I was lucky enough to meet someone who had just done the BMAT this year and she gave me some of her old books, one of which was the 400 BMAT questions one - im finding it quite useful. How did you do on the BMAT, if you don't mind me asking? Did you get any help from a college/school, as I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage without it?
Also how much work experience did you do, and do they care how long ago it was?
Thanks again :smile:

First year round I did ok on the BMAT, 5.8ish in the first 2 sections and got an interview. This year I think I was below the cutoff, I think I had 4.3 or something in both sections. Writing section was fine both times, being at uni really helps with that section. I struggled much more this year as I felt there was more maths in it! I had no outside help at all, I was working full time, but I managed ok, as long as you learn the style of the questions and get used to the time constraint you will be fine :smile:

My work experience is a few posts above but it's:

Spoiler

Everything was done during my degree except the cattery but it still counted. I think general advice is you can count your previous experience, but try and make sure you meet the minimum requirements with more recent experience. So e.g if RVC ask for 2 weeks vet, make sure that is recent, even if everything else is older.
Reply 15
Original post by Eevee13
First year round I did ok on the BMAT, 5.8ish in the first 2 sections and got an interview. This year I think I was below the cutoff, I think I had 4.3 or something in both sections. Writing section was fine both times, being at uni really helps with that section. I struggled much more this year as I felt there was more maths in it! I had no outside help at all, I was working full time, but I managed ok, as long as you learn the style of the questions and get used to the time constraint you will be fine :smile:

My work experience is a few posts above but it's:

Spoiler

Everything was done during my degree except the cattery but it still counted. I think general advice is you can count your previous experience, but try and make sure you meet the minimum requirements with more recent experience. So e.g if RVC ask for 2 weeks vet, make sure that is recent, even if everything else is older.

Ah ok, thank you you have offered some really useful advice. sorry just a few more questions while I think of them! when it came to your work experience, did you try and fit them all into your personal statement or did you have a separate sheet? Also did you ever apply to Liverpool uni, and if so did they have a time limit on how long ago you could have done the work experience? and for the BMAT would your general advice be then just to keep practicing on the questions and timing yourself?
Thanks so much for this!
Reply 16
Original post by 8551amy
Ah ok, thank you you have offered some really useful advice. sorry just a few more questions while I think of them! when it came to your work experience, did you try and fit them all into your personal statement or did you have a separate sheet? Also did you ever apply to Liverpool uni, and if so did they have a time limit on how long ago you could have done the work experience? and for the BMAT would your general advice be then just to keep practicing on the questions and timing yourself?
Thanks so much for this!

RVC and Bristol both had work experience sheets to fill in (RVC before the application deadline, Bristol for the interview). I think I tried to fit in enough placements in my statement so that they could see I had the necessary places, but had to miss off a few in order to expand properly on important cases/points, which is more important as it shows that you understand the profession, have gained some skills needed, and learnt a lot.

Liverpool I think have separate categories on their form for current experience and for experience done 3+ years ago. I'm not sure if experience that is 3+ years old can't count for as much though, I can find out though if someone else doesn't pop along!

For the BMAT definitely, timing is most important, and learning the styles. I found once I learnt the types of questions (especially for section 1) I could get to grips with them more quickly in the test. I also mainly did things by elimination before I worked anything out, I crossed off every answer that it couldn't be and I found that helped me reach an answer quicker.
Reply 17
Original post by Eevee13
RVC and Bristol both had work experience sheets to fill in (RVC before the application deadline, Bristol for the interview). I think I tried to fit in enough placements in my statement so that they could see I had the necessary places, but had to miss off a few in order to expand properly on important cases/points, which is more important as it shows that you understand the profession, have gained some skills needed, and learnt a lot.

Liverpool I think have separate categories on their form for current experience and for experience done 3+ years ago. I'm not sure if experience that is 3+ years old can't count for as much though, I can find out though if someone else doesn't pop along!

For the BMAT definitely, timing is most important, and learning the styles. I found once I learnt the types of questions (especially for section 1) I could get to grips with them more quickly in the test. I also mainly did things by elimination before I worked anything out, I crossed off every answer that it couldn't be and I found that helped me reach an answer quicker.

Thank you so much for all of your advice! You have been very very helpful!!!
Reply 18
Can I ask, how can you afford to do a postgraduate degree.
I am very confused as I read you will not be able to get funding so how do you
afford and apply for another degree?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I looked everywhere and am still not sure :frown:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by Jay95
Can I ask, how can you afford to do a postgraduate degree.
I am very confused as I read you will not be able to get funding so how do you
afford and apply for another degree?
Sorry if this is a stupid question but I looked everywhere and am still not sure :frown:

Thanks! :biggrin:

This will vary from person to person. Most of us have some savings, but it all comes down to family agreeing to support you basically. (In my case anyway)
Some people have managed to fund it entirely through donations etc. But this is VERY rare, and shouldn't be your only method of paying fees.

I know of a few grads who have sold houses etc to fund the fees.
You are also allowed to apply for a CDL in 4th/5th year for about £10,000.. but this is a bank loan and not paid back the same way student loans are. There is also no guarantee you will get it.

You are also able to apply for maintenance loans to live on, but no tuition and most universities prevent you from being entitled to bursaries too.

Basically it's all a bit rubbish, there is no secret method to funding (although I'm sure we all wish there was!)...but at least the fees have come down at the moment!

Sorry I can't be of more help. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending