The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

what do people make of blackburns chances of promotion this season? play off chance?
Original post by blue n white army
what do people make of blackburns chances of promotion this season? play off chance?

At the start of the season, I wasn't expecting much. Now we've played some decent football, I'm more optimistic but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. If we don't lose anyone else, (including managers!) then I can see us doing reasonably well.

Are you a Rovers fan too?
Trotta is back. Despite his last minute penalty miss costing us promotion, I'm hoping he can be the power sub he was last season. Interesting that Calvet decided to join Brentford. He's shown a lot of potential and hopefully can reignite our defence to start performing better. Richard Lee should start training again in goal soon as well, so it's looking good for Brentford supporters!
Original post by brocklehurst95
At the start of the season, I wasn't expecting much. Now we've played some decent football, I'm more optimistic but I'm trying not to get ahead of myself. If we don't lose anyone else, (including managers!) then I can see us doing reasonably well.

Are you a Rovers fan too?

yeah i am

feeling optimistic now that the venkys and shebby have taken a back seat, transfer policy seems sensible and we've got a decent manager who the players seem to respect, and the cherry on the cake is that no premiership teams swooped in for rhodes on deadline day (30mins left, hope i haven't jinxed it)
Original post by blue n white army
yeah i am

feeling optimistic now that the venkys and shebby have taken a back seat, transfer policy seems sensible and we've got a decent manager who the players seem to respect, and the cherry on the cake is that no premiership teams swooped in for rhodes on deadline day (30mins left, hope i haven't jinxed it)

Yeah, it seems like venky's have learnt from their horrific mistakes and are acting as owners should. In the background. It took more 2.5 years to take us down, now it'll take much more than that for us to get back. All we can hope for is stability and another win against the dingles!
Original post by Like_A_G6
Trotta is back. Despite his last minute penalty miss costing us promotion, I'm hoping he can be the power sub he was last season. Interesting that Calvet decided to join Brentford. He's shown a lot of potential and hopefully can reignite our defence to start performing better. Richard Lee should start training again in goal soon as well, so it's looking good for Brentford supporters!

I am very happy with us resigning Trotta. Yeah, he was an arrogant prick when he demanded to take the penalty but he filled a niche in our team that no one else did, especially after Donaldson moved to the wing.

Calvert is a very interesting one! I'm even more excited for Bradford away this weekend now.
Pretty good deadline day - shame to have missed out on Doyle, think he'd have been a great addition in attack, but to keep the squad together is good stuff - just wish we'd been able to off-load Danns; woeful player and a drain on resources.
bradford to go up this season? making it back to back promotions?
Reply 9308
Original post by coatsoft
bradford to go up this season? making it back to back promotions?

Can see Bradford in the play-offs. Wolves and Posh will go up automatically.
Anyone watching Preston v Oldham? I genuinely can't understand how we're 2-0 down :frown:
Original post by oldham_fran
Anyone watching Preston v Oldham? I genuinely can't understand how we're 2-0 down :frown:

I wasn't watching it, but kept up to date with it on BBC Sport. Looking at the stats, it's a miracle how Preston got 2 goals with 1 shot on target. I'm not complaining though, I've got a soft spot for Preston as I live close (ish) by :tongue:
Original post by Barksy
Can see Bradford in the play-offs. Wolves and Posh will go up automatically.

dunno think leyton orient could win the league if they can get their form to last
Found this breakdown of what Portsmouth owe their former players from the last few years. It's absolutely shocking reading, and this is after they all took wage cuts! They're still paying Tal Ben Haim more than any of their current squad...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/player-by-player-breakdown-of-what-pompey-owe-1-5468027
Don't know if anybody has seen the top of League 2 recently but AFC Wimbledon is 3rd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Found this breakdown of what Portsmouth owe their former players from the last few years. It's absolutely shocking reading, and this is after they all took wage cuts! They're still paying Tal Ben Haim more than any of their current squad...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/player-by-player-breakdown-of-what-pompey-owe-1-5468027

That is pretty bad...
Reply 9315
Gillingham are a worry having not yet picked up a win but faith must be with Martin Allen who can turn it around
I don't know how long Oxford can go unbeaten for, but I'm sick of seeing Chesterfield go up and come down every other season, just disappear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9317
Original post by ES95
Gillingham are a worry having not yet picked up a win but faith must be with Martin Allen who can turn it around

Chris Whelpdale and Charlie Lee are very good at this level. Helped us (Posh) get promoted automatically from this division. There's sure to be 4 sides worse than you. Thanks for Jack Payne too!
Reply 9318
Original post by Barksy
Chris Whelpdale and Charlie Lee are very good at this level.

My faith in Martin Allen is being tested with Whelpdale and Lee being transfer listed today. Why list your best players? Allen is asking for something bad to happen but listing German and the useless Gregory is a good move. Payne was our best outfield player since Simeon Jackson and Matt Jarvis. You will do well with him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9319
Looking like a pretty bleak season for the Blades. Every week I pray the previous week was just teething problems since we've got a good number of new and young players and still we lose. The only positive is it sounded like we played better football for longer than previous matches.

Credit to Carlisle though, winning without a manager.

Latest