The Student Room Group

Struggling with psychometrics, please help

I'm struggling with numerical reasoning psychometric assessments, I seem to be falling in the bottom percentiles (below average/well below average)

I only got as far as GCSE maths, of which I got a B (I was in the intermediate group), this was over 6 years ago. I enjoyed maths at that time and regretted not giving it a go at A level.

I'm now searching for jobs and am constantly failing at the psychometrics stage. Particularly with SHL and Talent Q assessments.

Is it possible to improve my score? I've tried practising on Assessmentday.com but this hasn't improved my score. I'm wondering if it will help to go back to the basics and study GCSE math/ from scratch? I know that the problems in these psychometrics are basic maths, but I struggle with speed as well and end up panicking.

Is there anyone who can advise me?
Reply 1
Hi, I am in exactly the same position, for the past 2 weeks I have been continually taking practice tests, as most graduate schemes include some sort of online tests. The one thing I have noticed is that it is a lot more difficult to improve at the verbal reasoning than numerical tests, in my opinion, as you almost have to change the way you think about the questions, whereas the mathematical questions there is a defined method to calculating the answer. However I would unfortunately say that practice is really the key to improving, don't just keep taking tests, try and identify exactly where you are going wrong.

Hope that helps a little and just remember you aren't the only one struggling!
Reply 2
Original post by bjs2013uk
Hi, I am in exactly the same position, for the past 2 weeks I have been continually taking practice tests, as most graduate schemes include some sort of online tests. The one thing I have noticed is that it is a lot more difficult to improve at the verbal reasoning than numerical tests, in my opinion, as you almost have to change the way you think about the questions, whereas the mathematical questions there is a defined method to calculating the answer. However I would unfortunately say that practice is really the key to improving, don't just keep taking tests, try and identify exactly where you are going wrong.

Hope that helps a little and just remember you aren't the only one struggling!

Thanks for this. I'm OK with verbal, infact I got a score in the 85th percentile on the SHL verbal test, without even practicing. I got a score in the 15th percentile on the numerical, after 2 weeks of practice. Crazy stuff.

I really wish I could make sense of how I'm failing.

Learn About All The Most Common Tricks and TipsFor Psychometric Reasoning Tests

Points should be taken care of:

Study hard, Keep an eye out on your inbox, Get your technology setup, Make sure you're well rested, Ensure you are not disturbed, Read the instructions carefully & watch the clock etc. these are most common points and important to keep your score high. Try out Grad test, they provide the best method and instructions... "GradTests"
A guy called John Smith Tests has a few examples online - Twitter and Facebook which talk through how to get the answers which can be useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending