The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

@AJ, is watching anime or manga for free online illegal? I've been doing this for years but I never stopped to consider it!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by keromedic
@AJ, is watching anime or manga for free online illegal? I've been doing this for years but I never stopped to consider it!

In most cases yes, but it depends on the site - sites like Crunchyroll and Daisuki for anime are licensed, as is MangaReborn. There's probably more out there, but I usually stick to *less legal :pirate:* downloads for anime, and buy all my manga as paperbacks, so I'm probably not the best person to recommend legal sites. :redface:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
In most cases yes, but it depends on the site - sites like Crunchyroll and Daisuki for anime are licensed, as is MangaReborn. There's probably more out there, but I usually stick to *less legal :pirate:* downloads for anime, and buy all my manga as paperbacks, so I'm probably not the best person to recommend legal sites. :redface:

Fair enough.
I've always thought that when I got more money I'd reimburse the mangakas by buying all the manga but that'd be so expensive :tongue:
Thanks btw :smile:
Currently working on the Autumn season preview thread... I underestimated how hard it would be with MAL still playing up, but there are plenty of other sources to work with. :p:

MAL is right pain in the arse recently. Has there been any comments why?
Fair enough.
I've always thought that when I got more money I'd reimburse the mangakas by buying all the manga but that'd be so expensive :tongue:
Thanks btw :smile:

I feel I should buy more anime myself, but I don't really like streaming, and prefer the HD video and quality fansub translations to official DVD releases. I do try and buy my favourite series, at least - I picked up Claymore and Pretear on DVD this year, both of which I've seen before, and I've got my eyes on Shiki, Steins;Gate and/or Ga Rei Zero which all got recent UK releases. :biggrin:

---

On the subject of licensed anime/manga, I was thinking about getting an eBook reader, because I'm seriously running out of shelf space. Has anyone else here used one for manga (or even just used one in general)? I'm struggling to decide whether its worth it when a lot of publishers release on American devices only, and if so whether Kindle, Nook or Kobo has the best range of manga titles. :beard:

Or, I might just get a USB Blu Ray drive, which in turn might convince me to spend more on anime since I'd no longer be able to use the lack of HD as an excuse. :p: I notice an increasing number of series are getting Blu Ray or BD/DVD combo releases these days, so it might be the right time to upgrade. :yes:
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
MAL is right pain in the arse recently. Has there been any comments why?

I don't know, sorry - I use A-P to keep track of my anime, and only use MAL for stuff like synopses and staff info for series that haven't aired yet. I would go and have a look, but it's not loading for me at the moment. :p:
It's been months since the last Beserk release :sigh:
Original post by F_shakeey
It's been months since the last Beserk release :sigh:

Besides DBZ (obv), I didn't realize u were an animephile!
Besides DBZ (obv), I didn't realize u were an animephile!

Not as much as some, only dip my toes in the world of anime and manga :tongue:

How about you? :h:
Not as much as some, only dip my toes in the world of anime and manga :tongue:

How about you? :h:

I used to be a big buff. But I recently discovered the joys of streaming (esp after getting broadband as I was previously tethering from phone) and have been catching up on Western TV shows I'd never seen (I didn't have TV till I went into care at 15:tongue:). Dw, I've mainly bought boxsets.
So basically, the only anime I watch atm is Naruto. And the only manga I'm currently reading are UQ holder, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and History's Strongest Disciple.
But even back when I was into Anime more, I never read anything under 100 chapters (or watched stuff with a lot of episodes) so I don't really know anything obscure that 'real' anime fans know!
I used to be a big buff. But I recently discovered the joys of streaming (esp after getting broadband as I was previously tethering from phone) and have been catching up on Western TV shows I'd never seen (I didn't have TV till I went into care at 15:tongue:). Dw, I've mainly bought boxsets.
So basically, the only anime I watch atm is Naruto. And the only manga I'm currently reading are UQ holder, Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail and History's Strongest Disciple.
But even back when I was into Anime more, I never read anything under 100 chapters (or watched stuff with a lot of episodes) so I don't really know anything obscure that 'real' anime fans know!

Ah I haven't got round to that bit yet, don't like streaming on the family PC and don't have my own laptop. I only watch anime on my phone since their websites are really mobile friendly :yep:
My anime goal in life is to get all the DBZ boxsets...I've currently got one :rofl:
I'm a no Naruto person :colonhash: Funnily enough I know loads for someone who doesn't really like it :tongue:
HSDK! So epic but the chapters are a bit short. Try reading Magi you might like it, the anime is a bit different and the characeters potrayed differently :unimpressed:

Same here I only know a few, maybe in uni I'll get more into it :tongue:
Ah I haven't got round to that bit yet, don't like streaming on the family PC and don't have my own laptop. I only watch anime on my phone since their websites are really mobile friendly :yep:
My anime goal in life is to get all the DBZ boxsets...I've currently got one :rofl:
I'm a no Naruto person :colonhash: Funnily enough I know loads for someone who doesn't really like it :tongue:
HSDK! So epic but the chapters are a bit short. Try reading Magi you might like it, the anime is a bit different and the characeters potrayed differently :unimpressed:

Same here I only know a few, maybe in uni I'll get more into it :tongue:

This? I always figured you were already in uni :P
This? I always figured you were already in uni :P

That's the one :yep:
Nope on a gap year, next year I begin! :awesome:
You're in yr13? :tongue:

What made you think I'm at uni? :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5513

On the subject of licensed anime/manga, I was thinking about getting an eBook reader, because I'm seriously running out of shelf space. Has anyone else here used one for manga (or even just used one in general)? I'm struggling to decide whether its worth it when a lot of publishers release on American devices only, and if so whether Kindle, Nook or Kobo has the best range of manga titles. :beard:

Or, I might just get a USB Blu Ray drive, which in turn might convince me to spend more on anime since I'd no longer be able to use the lack of HD as an excuse. :p: I notice an increasing number of series are getting Blu Ray or BD/DVD combo releases these days, so it might be the right time to upgrade. :yes:

Being mostly monochrome means manga ought to work pretty well on an e-reader. But there isnt all that much out yet just newer things. ..however I managed to aquire some and then convert it to the right format :ninja: Yeah it mostly looked ok. Minor cropping issues only. As for official releases, kodansha released some free samplers but I couldnt say how they were as they were US only.:hmpf:

I recently got a nook simple touch, was on offer in loads of places for £29. Yeah it's pretty good though basic with 1gb of free space for ebooks.. only 250mb of which is available for non barnes and noble books. Most ebooks are around 1mb or smaller, with a volume of the manga I "aquired":ninja: coming in at 20mb. But you can expand it with sd cards. It runs android so can be rooted and turned into a mega ereader if you put the kindle and other apps on it.:ninja:

So probably not worth it for now If its only for manga. :sadnod:
Original post by vin
Being mostly monochrome means manga ought to work pretty well on an e-reader. But there isnt all that much out yet just newer things. ..however I managed to aquire some and then convert it to the right format :ninja: Yeah it mostly looked ok. Minor cropping issues only. As for official releases, kodansha released some free samplers but I couldnt say how they were as they were US only.:hmpf:

I recently got a nook simple touch, was on offer in loads of places for £29. Yeah it's pretty good though basic with 1gb of free space for ebooks.. only 250mb of which is available for non barnes and noble books. Most ebooks are around 1mb or smaller, with a volume of the manga I "aquired":ninja: coming in at 20mb. But you can expand it with sd cards. It runs android so can be rooted and turned into a mega ereader if you put the kindle and other apps on it.:ninja:

So probably not worth it for now If its only for manga. :sadnod:

Thanks for the info, based on that I think I'll hold off a while longer. It's still relatively new technology, so I'll give the publishers a bit longer to add new titles, or even just acknowledge that the UK exists. :yes:

I know you put a lot of work into that thread, but, could you possibly add something else to that thread?
Could you add the genres of the animes in your thread please?
Original post by Scienceisgood
I know you put a lot of work into that thread, but, could you possibly add something else to that thread?
Could you add the genres of the animes in your thread please?

Should be easy enough, sure. :smile: I've just been lazily sticking to the format that Cara used when she made the preview threads, but an extra line with genre tags would be a nice addition (even if it's fairly obvious from the synopsis or PV a lot of the time). :beard:
Reply 5518
Thanks for the info, based on that I think I'll hold off a while longer. It's still relatively new technology, so I'll give the publishers a bit longer to add new titles, or even just acknowledge that the UK exists. :yes:

I got mine strictly for big people books so the manga on it was mostly just an experiment really.:yes:
Should be easy enough, sure. :smile: I've just been lazily sticking to the format that Cara used when she made the preview threads, but an extra line with genre tags would be a nice addition (even if it's fairly obvious from the synopsis or PV a lot of the time). :beard:

I find the promo pic a bit of a giveaway too.:giggle:
But that's only with the current anime ongoing. It could rival the three pillars of jump if it became a weekly.

Personally I've never found the drawing to be that....great. It's good don't get me wrong but the drawing style is a lot rougher and less defined than the likes on one piece or Kuroko no Basket. Similarly like I mentioned before a whole 2 months spent on dialogue means less than one episode in an anime. He currently does between 40-46 pages in a month so even if his weekly was 16 pages ( I don't know how Takeshi Konomi gets away with 10 pages a week! ) that'd give 64 pages a month. I understand it's not easy delivering that many pages every week but how many seasons of anime would we have? Year after year of waiting so probably a decade?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not really his fault, the magazine that SnK is published in is a monthly shonen magazine not a weekly one. IIRC the author tried to publish it through shonen jump (a weekly magazine) but was rejected by them (probably because it didnt have the same 'friendship is everything!!!' vibe that most of them have lol)

Latest