The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AquisM
Graaaaaaciaaaas! Ahora puedo participar en el hilo!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pero ¿pensaba que pudieses hablar un poquito de francés? Cuando has enviado los mensajes en francés aquí, me parecía que lo que habías escrito fue bastante bien :confused:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
x

Thank you for the positive rating, by the way! :h:
Original post by Medicine .
Thank you for the positive rating, by the way! :h:

De rien :tongue:

It was +6 righr?:teeth:
Reply 7683
Original post by constantmeowage
So if you use avant before the subject is announced in the main clause, you use the subjunctive? :confused: Why do I learn languages? -.-

It's not just avant, it's any subjunctive-triggering phrase. If the subject is not yet specified in any clause, you can use the subjunctive. If it has been specified and it's the same subject, then just use the infinitive.

Par exemple,
J'ai peur que je ne le fasse - I'm scared that I do it (which is wrong - due to the repetition of the subject after the que)
J'ai peur de faire - I'm scared to do it (which is right and even sounds better in English)

Avant que je ne le fasse, je vais dormir - Before I do it, I'm going to sleep
Je vais dormir avant de le faire - I'm going to sleep before I do it

The last two are both right and mean the same thing (I think)

The subjunctive is :angry: I'm lucky I had a really intense teacher who drilled it into me at the start of Year 12, even the most minor intricacies (he used a textbook from the 50s to teach us :eek: )
Original post by Giant
It's not just avant, it's any subjunctive-triggering phrase. If the subject is not yet specified in any clause, you can use the subjunctive. If it has been specified and it's the same subject, then just use the infinitive.

Par exemple,
J'ai peur que je ne le fasse - I'm scared that I do it (which is wrong - due to the repetition of the subject after the que)
J'ai peur de faire - I'm scared to do it (which is right and even sounds better in English)

Avant que je ne le fasse, je vais dormir - Before I do it, I'm going to sleep
Je vais dormir avant de le faire - I'm going to sleep before I do it

The last two are both right and mean the same thing (I think)

The subjunctive is :angry: I'm lucky I had a really intense teacher who drilled it into me at the start of Year 12, even the most minor intricacies (he used a textbook from the 50s to teach us :eek: )

Eurgh subjunctive o.o I always feel like I've nailed by subjunctive and then along comes another rule to screw me over -.- cimer, mec!
Why do I learn languages? -.-

"The more languages you know, the more human you are". :smile: I don't remember who said that, though.
(edited 10 years ago)
The subjunctive is the only regret I have about taking A level French two years early... Eurgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
De rien :tongue:

It was +6 righr?:teeth:

Um, yeah, 30-24= 6. :yep:
Reply 7688
Eurgh subjunctive o.o I always feel like I've nailed by subjunctive and then along comes another rule to screw me over -.- cimer, mec!

Urgh, tell me about it. You do get a feel for it over time, and I've realised that most French people don't even adhere to most of the rules (I rarely see the ne expletif where it should be, even in newspapers like Le Monde etc.)

Cimer! All my french mates say that, took me a year to figure it out :wink:
Original post by Giant
Urgh, tell me about it. You do get a feel for it over time, and I've realised that most French people don't even adhere to most of the rules (I rarely see the ne expletif where it should be, even in newspapers like Le Monde etc.)

Cimer! All my french mates say that, took me a year to figure it out :wink:

Indeed, I can feel for when I need it now, but it did take a while for it to come :tongue: but then I think that's the same for everyone. It's just annoying when you find new obscure rules that you have to add :L and the 'ne' always seems so unnecessary :L

Not a speaker of Verlan, meuf? :wink:
Reply 7690
Indeed, I can feel for when I need it now, but it did take a while for it to come :tongue: but then I think that's the same for everyone. It's just annoying when you find new obscure rules that you have to add :L and the 'ne' always seems so unnecessary :L

Not a speaker of Verlan, meuf? :wink:

I've heard of it, it's like Pig Latin right? I think I'll focus on normal French before I progress to Verlan :tongue:
Original post by Giant
I've heard of it, it's like Pig Latin right? I think I'll focus on normal French before I progress to Verlan :tongue:

A bit, it's switching round the syllables of a word :tongue: Well, if you're doing AQA, you'll discuss les 'beurs', so you'll see Verlan there :tongue:
A bit, it's switching round the syllables of a word :tongue: Well, if you're doing AQA, you'll discuss les 'beurs', so you'll see Verlan there :tongue:

*wikis*
*drops out*
Ich habe gerade etwas Neues gelernt: Man wohnt auf einem Dorf!
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Ich habe gerade etwas Neues gelernt: Man wohnt auf einem Dorf!

Ja :3 <3 Prepositions are gorgeous, aren't they.
¡Hola!
Can I join this thread? :smile:

I speak English, Polish and Spanish (although I'm not fluent in Spanish yet :wink: )
I started to learn Latin recently but it's a bit hard to find any good re
sources online.
I use Duolingo and "Studyspanish" website for my Spanish and I wish that something similar would be available for Latin. Do you know any good websites?

I also plan to learn Chinese and Italian in the future, but I want to become fluent in Spanish first :smile:
Ja :3 <3 Prepositions are gorgeous, aren't they.
ja, das Sprachenlernen geht diese Momente um!

Du hast über ,,auf einem Dorf" schon gewissen? Ach, natürlich hast du es verstanden!
Reply 7697
Pero ¿pensaba que pudieses hablar un poquito de francés? Cuando has enviado los mensajes en francés aquí, me parecía que lo que habías escrito fue bastante bien :confused:

Sí, hablo un poquito de francés, pero vuestro francés es demasiado avanzado. Os entiendo pero mi horrible francés impide que converse con vosotros.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7698
Original post by Delenelie
¡Hola!
Can I join this thread? :smile:

I speak English, Polish and Spanish (although I'm not fluent in Spanish yet :wink: )
I started to learn Latin recently but it's a bit hard to find any good re
sources online.
I use Duolingo and "Studyspanish" website for my Spanish and I wish that something similar would be available for Latin. Do you know any good websites?

I also plan to learn Chinese and Italian in the future, but I want to become fluent in Spanish first :smile:

Of course you may join! All linguists are welcome! ¡Bienvenido!
Reply 7699
Original post by Giant
No, (reading newspapers) esta la solo única cosa que hacgo, no estoy ya lo tomo en serio. Voy a leer mia libro de grammaire gramática por para que puedoa apprendaer mejor los *tenses* (tiempos)

Ah, this is tough. I'm sure your French is much, much better than my Spanish.

If you can, could you correct my sentences and then I can make them progressively more ambitious and try to learn from my mistakes. Muchas gracias :biggrin:

Corrected. :smile:

Ugh, I don't think so. I need a lot of help with French, particularly with prepositions, y and en etc.
Qu'est-ce ils-sont? Peut-être...

They're basically sentences that have "faire" with the infinitive.

O.O I was expecting something more... complicated given their complicated name.

Latest

Trending

Trending