The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Endless Blue
Getting close to finishing but it's a tad early to send it off now, is it not? I'll probably still send mine in around early October. You?

& was anybody else at Bristol today? (Other than Robbie.)

Brstiol 2k13 swagtastic.

I'm joking, but its seriously a great uni with leading academics. Only downside is things felt a bit separated and there are LOTS OF HILLS, but the Maths department was great and the 'Why Bristol?' talk was reassuring given my GCSEs. And also helpful links to admissions statements etc/what Bristol want. Maths is actually a bit competitive, with Fmaths I automatically get an AAA offer and with STEP I get an AAB offer
Does anyone on here have a part time job?
usycool1
(edited 10 years ago)
Do any of you know how recent the data on 'Which? University" is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Do any of you know how recent the data on 'Which? University" is? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm guessing fairly recent as it's a well known website, never really thought about it but that's a good point :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
I'm guessing fairly recent as it's a well known website, never really thought about it but that's a good point :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh okay, thank you :smile: I really hope it is!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3205
Original post by keromedic
Does anyone on here have a part time job?

I've worked in a garage on a Saturday for 3 hours since I was 14. I also do maybe 15 - 20 hours there a week in holiday time. I used to work in a hotel as a waiter for about 10 hours a week during term time mostly on school days! It was far too much for me especially because of the £4/ hour wage rate, long journeys, late (very) nights, early mornings and frankly cruel working conditions especially if I was there all day on a weekend say, you'd have thought having a restaurant they'd provide food? I just couldn't do school work at the same time so I left.

I also volunteer at my local theatre/ community centre and at a Cub Scout troop, but that's not too many hours a week and it's lots of fun, I do the lights at the theatre and when no one else is, the sound as well. :-)

You?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Original post by adi19956
I've worked in a garage on a Saturday for 3 hours since I was 14. I also do maybe 15 - 20 hours there a week in holiday time. I used to work in a hotel as a waiter for about 10 hours a week during term time mostly on school days! It was far too much for me especially because of the £4/ hour wage rate, long journeys, late (very) nights, early mornings and frankly cruel working conditions especially if I was there all day on a weekend say, you'd have thought having a restaurant they'd provide food? I just couldn't do school work at the same time so I left.

I also volunteer at my local theatre/ community centre and at a Cub Scout troop, but that's not too many hours a week and it's lots of fun, I do the lights at the theatre and when no one else is, the sound as well. :-)

You?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Nope. But I'm trying to obtain one. Having applied to Waterstones 10 times with no luck I'm going to expand my search :tongue:. I don't think I can handle McDonalds (which seems to reel in all the students I know!) but I'm trying other places.
I'm redoing my CV now which I'll hand into a local woman's clothing store. If I have no luck there, I'll return to training at the Hospice and start volounteering at the Charity Store. I need a job. Currently my bills are subsidized partially, by social services, but I'm fastly approaching 18 but part time jobs seem to be scarce! :frown:

Edit: u're a very busy bunny :smile: how did u get ur first job?
Original post by Robbie242
Brstiol 2k13 swagtastic.

I'm joking, but its seriously a great uni with leading academics. Only downside is things felt a bit separated and there are LOTS OF HILLS, but the Maths department was great and the 'Why Bristol?' talk was reassuring given my GCSEs. And also helpful links to admissions statements etc/what Bristol want. Maths is actually a bit competitive, with Fmaths I automatically get an AAA offer and with STEP I get an AAB offer

True, it is pretty hilly. :tongue: Glad to hear about Maths then, should be a good choice :yy:
Yeah, I am definitely applying to Bristol now. :yep: FWIW, I live 20 mins from Warwick and went to the Open Day as well. I would say, yes, it is pretty isolated; the nearest city is Coventry and to be honest it's not a particularly nice one. It's very much a campus university - everything is in one place. You may like it, or you may not. I wasn't sure but I thought it felt a little bit insular to be honest, but it depends on your personal preferences.

Where else are you applying to?

So would you say Bristol is better than Warwick as a place?

Cambs, LSE, UCL and Bath probably, what about you?
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
So would you say Bristol is better than Warwick as a place?

Cambs, LSE, UCL and Bath probably, what about you?

I liked it much better, but as I say you might vastly prefer Warwick. Depends if you want a completely student orientated feel/area or a city with a student core in the area but with lots of other stuff going on.

And Cambs, Bristol, Mancs/Warwick, Durham/UCL, maybe King's. I CAN'T DECIDE!
I do the lights at the theatre and when no one else is, the sound as well. :-)

:eek: You do the sound and lights? I love doing them, only ever done them for school productions and things though. I'd love to do them in a theatre properly more regularly, I can't unless I get a 40 minute bus journey each time though (which I could do, but I haven't got the time and I don't think they'd let me anyway!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3211
Original post by keromedic
Nope. But I'm trying to obtain one. Having applied to Waterstones 10 times with no luck I'm going to expand my search :tongue:. I don't think I can handle McDonalds (which seems to reel in all the students I know!) but I'm trying other places.
I'm redoing my CV now which I'll hand into a local woman's clothing store. If I have no luck there, I'll return to training at the Hospice and start volounteering at the Charity Store. I need a job. Currently my bills are subsidized partially, by social services, but I'm fastly approaching 18 but part time jobs seem to be scarce! :frown:

Edit: u're a very busy bunny :smile: how did u get ur first job?

Yeah getting a job can be hard. Fortunately for me I live in a stereotypical old people's village so cheap young labour is hard to come by for employers here. I got my first job just by asking if he (the owner) needed any help and luckily he did, so score :smile:

I think volunteering even though it might seem useless as it's unpaid can boost a CV so go for it if nothing else.

Why have you applied to Waterstone's 10 times? Is it just because you love books?

:eek: You do the sound and lights? I love doing them, only ever done them for school productions and things though. I'd love to do them in a theatre properly more regularly, I can't unless I get a 40 minute bus journey each time though (which I could do, but I haven't got the time and I don't think they'd let me anyway!)

It's not like a big theatre, just a few hundred seats and there are only maybe 4 - 6 big shows each year that I do. The pantomime being the biggest, the whole village tries to book it every year and we have to turn hundreds of people down every year even when doing 6+ shows. My favourite thing about it is designing the lighting for shows, it can really set a mood. Takes hours and hours and hours though.

Apart from that there's a fortnightly film showing although it's a few months behind the main cinemas so I get to watch a free film every fortnight :smile: then concerts mainly apart from that.

I always thought it'd be amazing to work West End or a really big theatre, but it actually sounds really dull as you do the same show tons of times in a row and you can't design or tweak anything and it's all done with one single cue button, so there's an advantage to doing school things like you do and being at a small theatre like me :smile:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
Yeah getting a job can be hard. Fortunately for me I live in a stereotypical old people's village so cheap young labour is hard to come by for employers here. I got my first job just by asking if he (the owner) needed any help and luckily he did, so score :smile:

I think volunteering even though it might seem useless as it's unpaid can boost a CV so go for it if nothing else.
It's not like a big theatre, just a few hundred seats and there are only maybe 4 - 6 big shows each year that I do. The pantomime being the biggest, the whole village tries to book it every year and we have to turn hundreds of people down every year even when doing 6+ shows. My favourite thing about it is designing the lighting for shows, it can really set a mood. Takes hours and hours and hours though.

Apart from that there's a fortnightly film showing although it's a few months behind the main cinemas so I get to watch a free film every fortnight :smile: then concerts mainly apart from that.

I always thought it'd be amazing to work West End or a really big theatre, but it actually sounds really dull as you do the same show tons of times in a row and you can't design or tweak anything and it's all done with one single cue button, so there's an advantage to doing school things like you do and being at a small theatre like me :smile:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

I guess, at least we get to control what we do- if we press 'bounce' then the lights go on and off and we can change things as we go along according to what we feel like doing (to a certain extent anyway!). At school it's mostly the sound system for concerts and big assemblies and things, and then there's more time spent setting everything up than actually using it :yep:

There are sometimes plays though, I know there's definitely one big one coming up that we're going out to a theatre to do so that should be good, you never know they might offer me a job!

Posted from TSR Mobile
pretty much just need:

A perfect reference

A good set of predicted grades

and to smash my interview

= Offer from all 5 universities tbh
Reply 3214
I guess, at least we get to control what we do- if we press 'bounce' then the lights go on and off and we can change things as we go along according to what we feel like doing (to a certain extent anyway!). At school it's mostly the sound system for concerts and big assemblies and things, and then there's more time spent setting everything up than actually using it :yep:

There are sometimes plays though, I know there's definitely one big one coming up that we're going out to a theatre to do so that should be good, you never know they might offer me a job!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's always the way that it takes longer to set up than anything else.
Why don't you ask for some work experience? I'm sure they'd love to have someone else do stuff for them
It's always the way that it takes longer to set up than anything else.
Why don't you ask for some work experience? I'm sure they'd love to have someone else do stuff for them

I might do next time I go, hadn't really thought about it but I'll take my CV with me and hand it in and see if they want someone to help out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by techno836
No she is a very good teacher ?? Have i typed something wrong somewhere :facepalm: I've been doing that alot recently :lol:

Oh right, I actually don't know, maybe I read it wrong :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I hate the lessons, want to change to Spanish!

And biomedical chemistry I think, added to chemistry and physics :h:

Why did you take it? Haha can you swap it?

Well that's not too bad actually
pretty much just need:

A perfect reference

A good set of predicted grades

and to smash my interview

= Offer from all 5 universities tbh

Don't think Cambz will be that easy, ngl :tongue:
Don't think Cambz will be that easy, ngl :tongue:

My reference should back up why I got poor ums with contextual data along with suitability for the course + self study I've undertaken, all of this considered my ums is actually quite nice.

So I would just need a perfect interview to get in if you think about it
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Oh right, I actually don't know, maybe I read it wrong :lol:

Why did you take it? Haha can you swap it?

Well that's not too bad actually

I thought I'd enjoy it... :colonhash: it's an easy grade though :s-smilie:

My reference should back up why I got poor ums with contextual data along with suitability for the course + self study I've undertaken, all of this considered my ums is actually quite nice.

So I would just need a perfect interview to get in if you think about it

Because those are such easy things to get :lol:

Latest