Original post by L'Evil Fish
I thought I'd enjoy it... :colonhash: it's an easy grade though :s-smilie:

Because those are such easy things to get :lol:

ikr, if only. But srs trying for a good interview
Original post by Robbie242
ikr, if only. But srs trying for a good interview

Yeah try!

_

Damn, just realised say... I wanted medicine. I'd drop Geography, do Biology AS, and A2 practical. Self teach the rest of the A2 (so 4 bio exams in the summer... :colonhash:)

But universities won't have an AS grade for my Biology :erm:

It'd also mean not finishing f.maths :emo: because I won't need it for Medicine at all!
HGFHGF

Expected UMS average, this year?
Original post by keromedic
Expected UMS average, this year?

How the hell am I supposed to know that?

Best Case: 100% :wink:
Worst Case: 0%
How the hell am I supposed to know that?

Best Case: 100% :wink:
Worst Case: 0%

Skimming over chapters and ppls reactions on here :smile:
Ok :biggrin:
Yeah try!

_

Damn, just realised say... I wanted medicine. I'd drop Geography, do Biology AS, and A2 practical. Self teach the rest of the A2 (so 4 bio exams in the summer... :colonhash:)

But universities won't have an AS grade for my Biology :erm:

It'd also mean not finishing f.maths :emo: because I won't need it for Medicine at all!

Drop Geog now and pick up Bio ? I know it will be hard to join but its not too late to enter other classes surely? That way you simply do AS bio this year and A2 bio next year.
Original post by keromedic
Skimming over chapters and ppls reactions on here :smile:
Ok :biggrin:

Can't really gauge through that!

Drop Geog now and pick up Bio ? I know it will be hard to join but its not too late to enter other classes surely? That way you simply do AS bio this year and A2 bio next year.

I can't... Max in a science class is 16, and that's full in this option block. I'll look into it though...
Can't really gauge through that!

I can't... Max in a science class is 16, and that's full in this option block. I'll look into it though...

puzzled to how 17 pupils would ruin that class :holmes:
puzzled to how 17 pupils would ruin that class :holmes:

It's to ensure personal service?

I'll ask anyway! Worth a try.
My reference should back up why I got poor ums with contextual data along with suitability for the course + self study I've undertaken, all of this considered my ums is actually quite nice.

So I would just need a perfect interview to get in if you think about it

Yeah, but the question is: is your maths at the level of your competition? I don't know where you're at now (and I mean no disrespect by this) but based on what I've seen I would say you're behind the likes of Felix, Joostan, Justin etc. Your reference will rectify your UMS to an extent, but I'm guessing 86% is going to be about 10% lower than most of the Mathmos applying to colleges like Pembroke. Of course if you smash your interview you have a good shot, but the level we're talking will be extremely difficult I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Endless Blue
Yeah, but the question is: is your maths at the level of your competition? I don't know where you're at now (and I mean no disrespect by this) but based on what I've seen I would say you're behind the likes of Felix, Joostan, Justin etc. Your reference will rectify your UMS to an extent, but I'm guessing 86% is going to be about 10% lower than most of the Mathmos applying to colleges like Pembroke. Of course if you smash your interview you have a good shot, but the level we're talking will be extremely difficult I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is very true but you have got to think about the exposure to mathematics, they have had it over many years; mine is only recent, I am doing some of Felix's and Joostan's problems but obviously not the highest level but I've managed to do 3 STEP I questions so I'm getting somewhere at least.This will be reflected by my ''transformation'' from GCSE to A-level.Obviously at this point I'm not in the same league but I think I have the mathematical capacity and determination to tackle the STEP papers head on and become a more skilled mathematician. A year and half ago around January I got the height of a person wrong in the foundation paper, now I'm using complex rules in calculus etc to prove identities and expanding a-level concepts further away from A-level. If I can do this in one year, then this next year will strengthen my ability to tackle even more complex problems and strengthen my logic and reasoning.

I may not be on the same level at this point but I'm willing to work hard enough to reach that level at some point. And Cambridge understand this believe it or not

Also the 92.5% M+FM average matters more than overall average (lower than 95% only because of my S1 mark)
(edited 10 years ago)
What do we all think about not having January exams this year? I was rather counting on them to properly see how I am doing in January, as well as it being nice to have them spread out a little, with the chance of a retake.. Ah well, at least Michael Gove has given us a free-to-do-anything Christmas, even if it does mean far more stress come May :/

Also, this might interest some people:
http://thepoliticaloutreach.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/michael-gove-educational-disaster.html
Original post by Choppie
What do we all think about not having January exams this year? I was rather counting on them to properly see how I am doing in January, as well as it being nice to have them spread out a little, with the chance of a retake.. Ah well, at least Michael Gove has given us a free-to-do-anything Christmas, even if it does mean far more stress come May :/

http://thepoliticaloutreach.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/michael-gove-educational-disaster.html

It has really annoyed me. I'm only resitting one, but I could have spent the months up until January perfecting the knowledge and doing really well, whereas now I'll have to focus on it along with my A2 exams :unimpressed: But yeah, that's the only good thing, not having to revise around Christmas/my 18th :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Choppie

GCSEs needed a slight reform (not his reform btw) but scrapping January exams was a stupid decision and the exams at the end of two years, even worse.

I'll have 14 summer exams next year, gg maths applicants
Original post by Lucy96
It has really annoyed me. I'm only resitting one, but I could have spent the months up until January perfecting the knowledge and doing really well, whereas now I'll have to focus on it along with my A2 exams :unimpressed: But yeah, that's the only good thing, not having to revise around Christmas/my 18th :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was hoping to sit M1 in January, and resit OCR Physics B G492 in January. But, as things stand, I will have to do them alongside my A2 exams. I do not see the logic in forcing us to do exams in one-sitting.

GCSEs needed a slight reform (not his reform btw) but scrapping January exams was a stupid decision and the exams at the end of two years, even worse.

I'll have 14 summer exams next year, gg maths applicants

I do not envy the students who start A-Levels in 2015. Having to recall knowledge in the June of 2017 from the September of 2015 would be horrible. We have just about escaped any of Gove's major changes (phew!).
If I had January exams I'd be doing more A Levels :pierre:
If I had January exams I'd be doing more A Levels :pierre:

die

jk but u'd die
Any help with this mathematical induction question? I don't know why I just can't make it work!!

Prove that the sum of 1/[n(n+1)] = n/(n+1)

die

jk but u'd die

I planned all my exams for January and June...

January:
Physics, Chemistry Unit 1.
FP1
Geography Unit 1.

June:
Physics, Chemistry Unit 2. (ISAs as well)
FP2, M2 and S2.
French Unit 2. (and oral exam)
Geography Unit 2.
Spanish Unit 2. (and oral exam)

Etc :frown:
Original post by sophiekutie
Any help with this mathematical induction question? I don't know why I just can't make it work!!

Prove that the sum of 1/[n(n+1)] = n/(n+1)

Start by considering the case for n=1 - if LHS=RHS then it is true for n=1

Then assume true for n=k and plug k into everything so it comes out like this

r=1k1r(r+1)=kk+1\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{k} \dfrac{1}{r(r+1)} = \dfrac{k}{k+1}

Gotta use r because two n's in a row was just confusing me

Now consider writing out

r=1k+11r(r+1)=...\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{k+1} \dfrac{1}{r(r+1)}=...

Notice that the sum of terms from r=1 to k give the sum of kk+1\dfrac{k}{k+1}

Plug k+1 into the rth term formula and add the sum to it, this is r=1k+11r(r+1)\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{k+1} \dfrac{1}{r(r+1)}

PS: 1r(r+1)\dfrac{1}{r(r+1)} is the rth term formula.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest