The Student Room Group

European Baccalaureate

Hi!! I've got my first 2 offers recently and I just can't understand an offer!
They have asked for 80% overall in European Baccalaureate and marks in Chemisty, Biology (8 out of 10), and English 7 (out of 10). The thing is , I can not understand what is 80% overall? I'll just pass my exams in June and will have my average grades. Can anyone explain me that? Thanks.:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm guessing it means they want you to get 8 of 10 in everything? But you'd be better off clarifying this with the uni.
Reply 2
i just forgot to mention that we can get 100% on exams, but I don't think they would reqiure me to get 80 % only in exams. Pupils get 50-70 on average.Maybe it is sum of grades and exams, though.
Original post by sevda1994
They have asked for 80% overall in European Baccalaureate and marks in Chemisty, Biology (8 out of 10), and English 7 (out of 10). The thing is , I can not understand what is 80% overall? I'll just pass my exams in June and will have my average grades. Can anyone explain me that? Thanks.:confused:

8/10 average across your subjects, with at least 8/10 in Bio and Chem, and at least 7/10 in English, is how I understand it.

I'd ask the uni for clarification if you need it.
Reply 4
Original post by myling
I think 80% just refers to your exams? They might also count the average of both exams and year grades as if they were percentages too. The average result is a bit above 70% in the EB, counted as an average across all subjects that a pupil is taking.

Thanks. So you mean 70 % is average and overall of EB is counted across all subjects that you are taking? not exams?
Reply 5

I'm also doing the EB and overall refers to your end-of-year grade. So you need an average at the end of the year of an 8/10. Also (at the end of the year) your grades for chem and bio need to be 8 or above, and 7 for English. They dont see the grades for your specific exams anyway. They ONLY see the end-of-year average for each of the subjects AND a total average of your year.
Reply 6
Original post by lizzyaus
I'm also doing the EB and overall refers to your end-of-year grade. So you need an average at the end of the year of an 8/10. Also (at the end of the year) your grades for chem and bio need to be 8 or above, and 7 for English. They dont see the grades for your specific exams anyway. They ONLY see the end-of-year average for each of the subjects AND a total average of your year.

thank you, this really helped me. I am just a little bit concerned because i had 8 in bio and chem only in 1 semester ,now i have 7. So my final grade has to be 8, is it ok?:smile:
Reply 7
thank you, this really helped me. I am just a little bit concerned because i had 8 in bio and chem only in 1 semester ,now i have 7. So my final grade has to be 8, is it ok?:smile:

Your final grade will not be 8, unless you work hard for exams! (i.e. start studying now). Your average grade does not come from only your semester grades, but also your actual BAC exam grades which are your B2 grades. You will have done your B1 exam already, so you know your B1 grade. Your overall B grade will be the average of the two. Then it also takes your A grades into account. So make sure that you get the 8.0 :smile:

Also, your final grades should be accurate to 1 decimal point. so it's possible to get 8.3, 7.8, 6.1 etc. Therefore, make sure that your average is not a single decimal point below 8, if you need it.
Reply 8
Your final grade will not be 8, unless you work hard for exams! (i.e. start studying now). Your average grade does not come from only your semester grades, but also your actual BAC exam grades which are your B2 grades. You will have done your B1 exam already, so you know your B1 grade. Your overall B grade will be the average of the two. Then it also takes your A grades into account. So make sure that you get the 8.0 :smile:

Also, your final grades should be accurate to 1 decimal point. so it's possible to get 8.3, 7.8, 6.1 etc. Therefore, make sure that your average is not a single decimal point below 8, if you need it.

Do you know what percentage the BAC exam counts for in final subject grades? I think the oral and written exams are weighted differently? :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by myling
Do you know what percentage the BAC exam counts for in final subject grades? I think the oral and written exams are weighted differently? :smile:

I have two documents that explain it very well. If you message me your email address or something I can send it to you. One of the documents is an Excel file, in which you can type in all your grades and it will create an average for you. It's pretty awesome :biggrin:
Reply 10

Thank you so much for your advice really. You know , i live in Lith, where our Baccaul. is similar to EB. my grades for 2 semesters will be written on Bacc. as a final mark, (example 7+8 = 7.5 = 8) and all my exams' results will be written on Baccaul. So the overall is all exams + grades , which has to be 80 per cent in total. ( Will they count only chem, bio and english exams or all exams??) And I am wondering, will they look only on my Baccaul. or they need every semesters mark to be 8? :biggrin:
Reply 11
Thank you so much for your advice really. You know , i live in Lith, where our Baccaul. is similar to EB. my grades for 2 semesters will be written on Bacc. as a final mark, (example 7+8 = 7.5 = 8) and all my exams' results will be written on Baccaul. So the overall is all exams + grades , which has to be 80 per cent in total. ( Will they count only chem, bio and english exams or all exams??) And I am wondering, will they look only on my Baccaul. or they need every semesters mark to be 8? :biggrin:

They only look at your final grade (BAC) they dont see any individual exam grades or semester grades. But I presume they will see a preliminary mark of some sort. Your average is ALL the subjects you take (not only chem, bio and english). so you are aiming for an end-of-year grade and average of 8 :wink:
Reply 12
They only look at your final grade (BAC) they dont see any individual exam grades or semester grades. But I presume they will see a preliminary mark of some sort. Your average is ALL the subjects you take (not only chem, bio and english). so you are aiming for an end-of-year grade and average of 8 :wink:

thankss :five:
Reply 13
thankss :five:

But they will also see an average for each subject!
Reply 14
Thought you guys might like some clarification on the insanity of the mark scheme that is the European Baccalaureate.

The EB is arranged as this:

PREBAC counts for 40% of your total mark, 16% is your A-Mark [class work] and 34% is B-Mark [test marks, prebac marks].

For the Prebac ALL subjects count, [including gym!] except for ethics/religion.

FINAL BAC consists of Written and Orals.

Each Oral is worth 6% of final grade, 4 orals are taken therefore 24%. The rest of your marks [26%] is then taken from your 5 written exams. Bear in mind, that in order to make the numbers work, for each subject you chose in your final written bac the prebac mark for that subject is counted twice.

The final mark is given to 1d.p. out of 10. A pass mark is a 6.0. You must send proof of your results to the university, but they will only see your final mark sheet which will give your A and B marks for both the Prebac and the Baccalaureate.

They may have changed one or two values [I heard it's not 16% any more for prebac but 15 for A mark] but that's the system essentially.

Some subjects are weighted slightly differently, apparently L1 and L2 are given more weighting than say history but I haven't really found a direct answer to that as of yet.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Mieka
Thought you guys might like some clarification on the insanity of the mark scheme that is the European Baccalaureate.

The EB is arranged as this:

PREBAC counts for 40% of your total mark, 16% is your A-Mark [class work] and 34% is B-Mark [test marks, prebac marks].

For the Prebac ALL subjects count, [including gym!] except for ethics/religion.

FINAL BAC consists of Written and Orals.

Each Oral is worth 6% of final grade, 4 orals are taken therefore 24%. The rest of your marks [26%] is then taken from your 5 written exams. Bear in mind, that in order to make the numbers work, for each subject you chose in your final written bac the prebac mark for that subject is counted twice.

The final mark is given to 1d.p. out of 10. A pass mark is a 6.0. You must send proof of your results to the university, but they will only see your final mark sheet which will give your A and B marks for both the Prebac and the Baccalaureate.

They may have changed one or two values [I heard it's not 16% any more for prebac but 15 for A mark] but that's the system essentially.

Some subjects are weighted slightly differently, apparently L1 and L2 are given more weighting than say history but I haven't really found a direct answer to that as of yet.

Thanks so much for help.
Anyone taking the Bac in 2015? :smile:
Reply 17
Just discovered this thread! Is anyone here studying in one of the European Schools? Which uni are you guys applying to?
Reply 18
Original post by Yezi_L
Just discovered this thread! Is anyone here studying in one of the European Schools? Which uni are you guys applying to?

I just graduated from the one in Bergen, the Netherlands haha but no one seems to have heard of it. :frown:
I'm now off to the University of Sheffield.

Good luck for your exams they're tough, so don't party too much :wink:

Oh and for reference here's the supposedly official conversion table between EB and A level [scroll right down to the bottom.] Thought it might help you guys :smile: http://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/european-baccalaureate.pdf

But sadly some universities now ask for ridiculous marks like 8.5 for AAB which just isn't fair so make sure to research well :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Yezi_L

I will do my BAC in the summer in Brussels :smile:. I'm applying for medicine to Nottingham, Brighton, Hull York and Aberdeen. What abt you?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending