The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7720
Original post by Giant
Il le fait pour que tu puisses apprendre de nouveaux mots :wink:

Je sais, (merci constant :biggrin:), mais il y en a trop. (does that make sense? :confused:) Je te montre ce que je n'ai pas compris.

Bien, j'ai de toutes façons besoin de pratiquer mon français, surtout puisque je pense qu'il a souffert tandis que j'ai pratiqué mes autres langues pendant cet été. :frown: alors, ça va ? Qu'est-ce que tu as fait pendant cette journée nuageuse ici en Angleterre ? :tongue:

Peux-tu le me traduire? :tongue: Et corrigez mes erreurs, s'il te plaît.

Aprendía un pocquito de gramática española cuando me desperté esta mañana :biggrin: (see below) Los tiempos son similares a francés, pero no puedo comprender cuando hay que uso usar el preteériteo y los otraos tiempos de pasado :confused:

That first sentence means 'I was learning a bit of Spanish grammar when I woke up this morning' (as in I was learning, but my waking up interrupted my action of learning). I think it would make more sense to say 'Aprendí un poquito de gramática española después de despertarme esta mañana - I learnt a bit of Spanish grammar after waking up this morning.' (Note that the c in poco changes to qu in poquito to maintain the hard c sound.)

The rule of thumb is that you'd use the imperfect wherever you'd use l'imparfait in French, and the preterite (or the present perfect) wherever you'd use le passé composé. Generally, the preterite is used for single or a series of past events with a specified period of time while the imperfect is used for unspecifiec periods of time or general description.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Non, j'ai appris comment construire les phrases qui utilisent "Faire + Infinitives" :tongue:

Je pensais que tu savais déjà construire ce genre de phrases. C'est la base du français, mon gars hehe. :wink:

Bon, I have TONS of homework to do (c'est la vie) et un FUTURE à l'université à préparer. A bientôt! :biggrin:
(And I've sent you a friend request, you evil fish! :teehee:)
Original post by Medicine .
Je pensais que tu savais déjà construire ce genre de phrases. C'est la base du français, mon gars hehe. :wink:

Bon, I have TONS of homework to do (c'est la vie) et un FUTURE à l'université à préparer. A bientôt! :biggrin:
(And I've sent you a friend request, you evil fish! :teehee:)

But the "forcing/having something done/making" to do something!

Aah, à bientôt :tongue:

I'll accept now :colone:
Reply 7723
Original post by AquisM
Je sais, (merci constant :biggrin:), mais il y en a trop. (does that make sense? :confused:) Je te montre ce que je n'ai pas compris.

Peux-tu le me traduire? :tongue: Et corrigez mes erreurs, s'il te plaît.

Bien sûr :smile:

Il y en a trop = There are too many of them. This makes perfect sense :cool: (assuming that you are referring to me talking about the new words)

The only *error* that I could maybe point out (it's not really an error) is when you say "corrigez mes erreurs, s'il te plaît". You address me as vous, and then as tu in the same sentence after having called me tu previously as well. It would be better to say "corrige mes erreurs". But again, this is being quite pedantic

Bien, j'ai de toutes façons besoin de pratiquer mon français, surtout puisque je pense qu'il a souffert tandis que j'ai pratiqué mes autres langues pendant cet été. alors, ça va ? Qu'est-ce que tu as fait pendant cette journée nuageuse ici en Angleterre ?

De toute façon - Anyway

I don't fully understand the sense in this first sentence and I'm not 100% if it makes sense, but I may be wrong. I'm assuming that it means "Anyway, I need to practice my french" but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just say "de toute façon, j'ai besoin de..."

Surtout puisque - Especially since

Il a souffert tandis que... - It (referring to mon français) has suffered (souffrir - to suffer) whilst...

Pendant = during so therefore "Pendant cet été" - During this summer or over the summer

Pendant cette journée nuageuse - During this cloudy day or On this cloudy day. Nuage = Cloud so nuageuse is the feminine adjective which agrees with "la journée"

That first sentence means 'I was learning a bit of Spanish grammar when I woke up this morning' (as in I was learning, but my waking up interrupted my action of learning). I think it would make more sense to say 'Aprendí un poquito de gramática española después de despertarme esta mañana - I learnt a bit of Spanish grammar after waking up this morning.' (Note that the c in poco changes to qu in poquito to maintain the hard c sound.)

The rule of thumb is that you'd use the imperfect wherever you'd use l'imparfait in French, and the preterite (or the present perfect) wherever you'd use le passé composé. Generally, the preterite is used for single or a series of past events with a specified period of time while the imperfect is used for unspecifiec periods of time or general description.

Hehe that's what I meant to say :colone: My dreams are a good source of foreign grammar :rolleyes: But srs thanks for the corrections and the tip

I guess that makes sense, but what about the tense which is haber + past participle like "he comido" Because I thought that was what the passé composé in French translated to Spanish as
Reply 7724
Original post by Giant

Il y en a trop = There are too many of them. This makes perfect sense :cool: (assuming that you are referring to me talking about the new words)

The only *error* that I could maybe point out (it's not really an error) is when you say "corrigez mes erreurs, s'il te plaît". You address me as vous, and then as tu in the same sentence after having called me tu previously as well. It would be better to say "corrige mes erreurs". But again, this is being quite pedantic

De toute façon - Anyway

I don't fully understand the sense in this first sentence and I'm not 100% if it makes sense, but I may be wrong. I'm assuming that it means "Anyway, I need to practice my french" but I'm not sure why you wouldn't just say "de toute façon, j'ai besoin de..."

Il a souffert tandis que... - It (referring to mon français) has suffered (souffrir - to suffer) whilst...

Pendant = during so therefore "Pendant cet été" - During this summer or over the summer

Pendant cette journée nuageuse - During this cloudy day or On this cloudy day. Nuage = Cloud so nuageuse is the feminine adjective which agrees with "la journée"

Hehe that's what I meant to say :colone: My dreams are a good source of foreign grammar :rolleyes: But srs thanks for the corrections and the tip

I guess that makes sense, but what about the tense which is haber + past participle like "he comido" Because I thought that was what the passé composé in French translated to Spanish as

Yes I was referring to the new words. Thanks! I'm still trying to get the hang of y and en. Whoops! :colondollar: That was stupid. I think that I've seen way too many Corrigez mes erreurs that I forgot I need to conjugate the verb appropriately.

Merci beaucoup Constant et à toi)! J'ai appris beaucoup de phrases nouvelles.

Haha OK. In that case what you said was correct.

Well, I think that technically the preterite corresponds to the passé simple (though I'm not really sure how it works) and the present perfect corresponds to the passé composé, but since the passé simple isn't used in spoken French, it's OK to say that both the preterite and the presdnt perfect correspond to the passé composé. Generally the present perfect (haber + participle) is used the same way as its English equivalent (have + participle). Hope that clears things up. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
German does my head in :frown:

I can't learn the bloody words...

SO LONG!

I mean, menu! :wtf:
Reply 7726

SO LONG!

Comment dit-on menu en allemand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

SO LONG!

What's wrong with German? It's by far the easiest European language to learn after Spanish and Italian, you're English right? Surely it should be easier for you.

I do concur with word length and sometimes it makes it impossible to say the word but so long as you make yourself understood and show your trying in German, you'll be rewarded :wink: :sexface:
Reply 7728
Original post by tehFrance
What's wrong with German? It's by far the easiest European language to learn after Spanish and Italian, you're English right? Surely it should be easier for you.

I do concur with word length and sometimes it makes it impossible to say the word but so long as you make yourself understood and show your trying in German, you'll be rewarded :wink: :sexface:

But there are cases... and three genders. I'd say that French is easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AquisM
But there are cases... and three genders.

And? It really is easy to wrap your head around, I suppose if you treat it as any other language then you're in for an incredibly rough time, you need to act as if you don't know any other foreign language in order to get to grips with German.
Reply 7730
Original post by AquisM
Yes I was referring to the new words. Thanks! I'm still trying to get the hang of y and en. Whoops! :colondollar: That was stupid. I think that I've seen way too many Corrigez mes erreurs that I forgot I need to conjugate the verb appropriately.

Merci beaucoup Constant et à toi)! J'ai appris beaucoup de phrases nouvelles.

Haha OK. In that case what you said was correct.

Well, I think that technically the preterite corresponds to the passé simple (though I'm not really sure how it works) and the present perfect corresponds to the passé composé, but since the passé simple isn't used in spoken French, it's OK to say that both the preterite and the presdnt perfect correspond to the passé composé. Generally the present perfect (haber + participle) is used the same way as its English equivalent (have + participle). Hope that clears things up. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Merci!
Original post by AquisM
Comment dit-on menu en allemand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know :tongue:

It's so long!

I find romance so much easier :frown:

I find German so hard.
Reply 7732
And? It really is easy to wrap your head around, I suppose if you treat it as any other language then you're in for an incredibly rough time, you need to act as if you don't know any other foreign language in order to get to grips with German.

... Interesting viewpoint. I've never heard of German being easier if you learn it that way. Maybe I'll try it some day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
II find romance so much easier :frown:

I find German so hard.

Really? I find all this to be confusing as you're all English and finding a Germanic language hard :lol:
Original post by AquisM
... Interesting viewpoint. I've never heard of German being easier if you learn it that way. Maybe I'll try it some day.

I was taught German as if I hadn't heard of the language, my German teacher spoke to me exclusively in German and nothing else, we used flash cards of everything that could be explained through pictures, all work was done with little French/English as a translating language, it was harder in a way but I appeared to pick it up rather well in comparison to English.

And when I went to university and continued German as part of my course, it was harder still as I had to deal with English to German translation which to me seemed pointless, you don't become fluent by translating, you become fluent through total immersion. I struggled majorly with the whole English to German thing, it screwed me up if I'm honest :lol:

Ignore all previous language rules when learning a language otherwise you're hindered.
Reply 7734
Really? I find all this to be confusing as you're all English and finding a Germanic language hard :lol:

I was taught German as if I hadn't heard of the language, my German teacher spoke to me exclusively in German and nothing else, we used flash cards of everything that could be explained through pictures, all work was done with little French/English as a translating language, it was harder in a way but I appeared to pick it up rather well in comparison to English.

And when I went to university and continued German as part of my course, it was harder still as I had to deal with English to German translation which to me seemed pointless, you don't become fluent by translating, you become fluent through total immersion. I struggled majorly with the whole English to German thing, it screwed me up if I'm honest :lol:

Ignore all previous language rules when learning a language otherwise you're hindered.

Mmm... You got a point there. Maybe I'll try that with French.
if you treat German like Latin, much of German comes as a pleasant surprise!

:biggrin:
Original post by AquisM
.... Je n'ai rien compris. :confused:

Désolé XD Il était le matin, je ne pensais pas, j'aurais écrire quelque chose de plus facile à comprendre ! :tongue: alors, qu'est-ce que tu as fait aujourd'hui, quelles activités ? :smile: est-ce que tu as fait quelque chose d'intéressant? :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Giant

De toute façon - Anyway

I stuck de toute façon where I would stick aussi, but I didn't like it the first time I wrote it, but couldn't be bothered to change it. I'm a bad influence on myself -.-

Now I'm all for promoting German among the Population der Student Room
But don't forget that despite its undisputed Germanic language status, the Germanic ess of our language was almost completely destroyed by those ******* lovely French / Normans whatever it was during the Norman Conquest...:rolleyes: and has practically been borrowing from Latin and French for centuries!

The Germanic roots of English are only really evident in the, dear I say, "common" vocabulary...while the advanced / educational vocabulary of unsere Sprache, does not überhaupt resemble DEUTSCH!

Es ist schade :frown:
I don't know :tongue:

It's so long!

I find romance so much easier :frown:

I find German so hard.

DEUTSCH IST FANTASTISCH!

I'll get to you with my Algebra treat in a minute :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending