The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Epic Flawless
Finished my final draft but it's 47 lines and around 3900 characters. I'm debating whether to just get rid of lines between the paragraphs. Nonetheless, I paid and sent it off so that I can get the references from school.

So first you pay and send application, then the school sends references?
Original post by Dilzo999
Odd my school got around 60 to russell groups and 1 of them went to cambridge and a whole lot of medics/dentistry. And my school is on the list.

There's nothing I can think of to explain that. I suppose in 2012 we had a crazy year which probably is an anomaly. 180 to University, 50 to Russell Group and 2 Medics, 1 Cambridge, 4 Oxford. But then again, that was purely an anomaly.
Original post by purplemind
So first you pay and send application, then the school sends references?

yeah i know in my school , we pay and send and it goes to our referee who writes our reference , then we go with the senior management personally through the whole application making sure it's as good as it can be then it gets sent off i believe.
Original post by Giant
UCAS is a bit iffy with the character limit.

I had 4000 characters on the dot using MS Word, but this was somehow 12 characters too long on UCAS...:confused:

seriously ? ffs UCAS , im still 5 characters over the limit :tongue:

i really want to get this thing done asap and send off my application by the end of this month !! problem is my Econ teacher keeps picking out loads of stuff in my PS and i just keep thinking " well i can't send this now , gotta re-edit haha " :L
Reply 984
Original post by Fas
seriously ? ffs UCAS , im still 5 characters over the limit :tongue:

i really want to get this thing done asap and send off my application by the end of this month !! problem is my Econ teacher keeps picking out loads of stuff in my PS and i just keep thinking " well i can't send this now , gotta re-edit haha " :L

I would advise you to take your time and make sure it's perfect before sending it off. You still have about a month and there is no real advantage to sending it off really, really early. I was lucky that I managed to get personal statement done early so I thought there was no point hanging on to it.

Don't feel pressured to get it done quickly just because of some guys on TSR :colondollar: Good luck!
Original post by Fas
yeah i know in my school , we pay and send and it goes to our referee who writes our reference , then we go with the senior management personally through the whole application making sure it's as good as it can be then it gets sent off i believe.

Oh, right. I know in my school, they will have written references by 20th September, our deadline to complete UCAS is 30th September. I think I will send it a bit earlier anyway, just have to give the 'improved version' to my Economics teacher, then to English teacher (I'm not British so my punctuation skills are limited sometimes). I don't even know my predicted grades yet. :tongue:
Original post by Giant
I would advise you to take your time and make sure it's perfect before sending it off. You still have about a month and there is no real advantage to sending it off really, really early. I was lucky that I managed to get personal statement done early so I thought there was no point hanging on to it.

Don't feel pressured to get it done quickly just because of some guys on TSR :colondollar: Good luck!

haha yeah true i guess ! tbh i think im quite close already , by my reckoning 2-3 more good drafts and i should be just about there ! :smile:

what sort of stuff have you talked about in the academic section of your PS ? ( just really general stuff nothing specific haha )
Reply 987
Hell yeah, my tutor likes my PStatement :smile:

Some odd changes here and there and i should be able to send it off for a final inspection :smile:
Reply 988
Original post by Fas
haha yeah true i guess ! tbh i think im quite close already , by my reckoning 2-3 more good drafts and i should be just about there ! :smile:

what sort of stuff have you talked about in the academic section of your PS ? ( just really general stuff nothing specific haha )

By academic I'm assuming you're talking about what I say about Economics? That was about 4/5ths of my statement and I talked about what got me interested, books I've read (I mentioned about 3 in reasonable depth) and how I've related to them, my EPQ, my super-curriculars like RES and other things I've done in school etc. My last paragraph was about my other interests and how they've developed me as a person and what I've gained from them (not necessarily related to economics)
Original post by Giant
By academic I'm assuming you're talking about what I say about Economics? That was about 4/5ths of my statement and I talked about what got me interested, books I've read (I mentioned about 3 in reasonable depth) and how I've related to them, my EPQ, my super-curriculars like RES and other things I've done in school etc. My last paragraph was about my other interests and how they've developed me as a person and what I've gained from them (not necessarily related to economics)

ah awesome , ive talked about pretty much the same stuff ( except i haven't got any super-curricular stuff there apart from a job as a Sales Assistant ) and ive talked about 3 books too , but 2 of the books were books i used for my EPQ ( related to economics ) and ive critically analysed a viewpoint that they differ on , is that something good or have i messed up big time there ? :tongue:
Reply 990
Original post by Fas
ah awesome , ive talked about pretty much the same stuff ( except i haven't got any super-curricular stuff there apart from a job as a Sales Assistant ) and ive talked about 3 books too , but 2 of the books were books i used for my EPQ ( related to economics ) and ive critically analysed a viewpoint that they differ on , is that something good or have i messed up big time there ? :tongue:

I literally can not comment without actually reading it, but it sounds pretty good. It all depends on how you've written it and whether or not it is engaging. You have the core ingredients for sure though
Original post by Giant
I literally can not comment without actually reading it, but it sounds pretty good. It all depends on how you've written it and whether or not it is engaging. You have the core ingredients for sure though

yeah of course haha - just making sure the actual idea of what i was doing wasn't a recipe for rejection :smile:
Reply 992
Original post by Fas
yeah of course haha - just making sure the actual idea of what i was doing wasn't a recipe for rejection :smile:

Of course it wouldn't be :cool:
Original post by Fas

Original post by Giant
Of course it wouldn't be :cool:

I've included 2 books in my statement but haven't talked considerably much about them. I mean I've talked about 1 or 2 sentences on each. Do you think there should be more books or explanation on them?
Reply 994
Original post by NedStark
I've included 2 books in my statement but haven't talked considerably much about them. I mean I've talked about 1 or 2 sentences on each. Do you think there should be more books or explanation on them?

As long as you've talked about economics and how it has interested you/made you think somewhere. It can be how you related to a lecture that you went to, a book or article that you've read, a personal experience etc. It doesn't necessarily have to come from a book

aslong as your not just listing which ones you've read , and have shown that you actually learnt something from them then i think you should be fine.
Statement is 100 characters over!
Original post by Alex-Torres
Statement is 100 characters over!

172 here! :frown:
I'm not sure it's amazing. I mean last year we got 180 to University of which 53 were Russell group. No oxbridge or medics/dentists/vets though.

How's that compare to your school?

And the person that showed me this told me he had an AAB offer but was predicted A*AA. From the website though they sort of place emphasis on the word "may". So I guess even if you are on the list they don't guarantee the lower offer.

I'm not sure on the exact figures but we do get quite a few in Russell group, there were a couple of medics but no one got into Oxbridge last year, (only one person applied and wasn't successful after interview).

I guess you're right, anyways we'll see how it goes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Would I be stupid to go to Kent University (Econ and Finance) over Surrey (Econ & Finance) or Nottingham (Industrial Economics) because I prefer the modules and Uni location?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending