The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is French also responsible for the crazy pronunciation rules of English???

'dear' 'dare' but 'wear' etc...=L
Reply 7741
Original post by constantmeowage
Désolé XD Il était le matin, je ne pensais pas, j'aurais écrire quelque chose de plus facile à comprendre ! :tongue: alors, qu'est-ce que tu as fait aujourd'hui, quelles activités ? :smile: est-ce que tu as fait quelque chose d'intéressant? :smile:

Hehe. Ne t'en fais pas, Giant le m'a traduit déjà. En fait, merci à toi, parce que j'ai appris beaucoup de vocabulaire nouveau. :biggrin: Alors, je n'ai pas fait beaucoup de choses intéressantes (I'm trying to say I didn't do many interesting things, can you please help me?). J'avais trop de devoirs et je n'ai pas dormi bien le soir dernier. Par conséquent, aujourd'hui je me suis levé très tard. La seule chose intéressante que j'ai fait est aller à ce forum. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7742
I finally managed to download Rosetta Stone.

Duolingo est bonne and all, but about time I tried using a different platform at the same time.
Reply 7743
Original post by AquisM
Hehe. Ne le fais pas, Giant l'a déjà traduit pour moi. En fait, merci à toi, parce que j'ai appris beaucoup de nouveau vocabulaire. :biggrin: Alors, je n'ai pas fait beaucoup de choses intéressantes. J'avais trop de devoirs et je n'ai pas bien dormi le soir dernier. Par conséquent, aujourd'hui je me suis levé très tard. La seule chose intéressante que j'ai fait est aller à ce forum. :tongue:

Bon effort!
Reply 7744
Original post by Giant
Bon effort!

Merci! So traduire uses pour instead of an indirect object?
Reply 7745
Original post by AquisM
Merci! So traduire uses pour instead of an indirect object?

Not too sure, I may have anglicised it :s-smilie: What you originally said translated to "He translated me it" and even then, the pronoun "le" goes after "me" so it would be "Il me l'a traduit" which I don't think is correct (not 100% sure, may need verification)
Reply 7746
Original post by Giant
Not too sure, I may have anglicised it :s-smilie: What you originally said translated to "He translated me it" and even then, the pronoun "le" goes after "me" so it would be "Il me l'a traduit" which I don't think is correct (not 100% sure, may need verification)

OK, I see. Well, anyway, thanks for the other corrections! :biggrin:
Original post by AquisM
Oui, d'accord, et il utilise trop de vocabulaire que je ne connais pas. :colondollar:

I have quite a few...:tongue: Do you wish to introduce me to the appropriate section der TSR, or would you be kind enough to grant me the pleasure of comfortably remaining in my beloved home-lounge?:wink: honesly don't know how I passed GCSE Maths with close to 0 knowledge of das Algebra :redface:

If you're offline right now Fishfinger...then Aquismo, Octo & all those other linguist TSRians with a superior knowledge of Maths, (i.e. everyone else here):tongue: FEEL FREE TO HELP ME!!

Okk so...:tongue: simplify

2x + 3y + 7x - 2y...The answer is not as simple as 9x + 1y IS IT???
a* + 3a + 4 + a* + 7a - 5 key: * = "squared sign"

Multiply out the bracket

x(x + 4)

Simplify

2(3x+2) -2 (x+4)
(x+3) (x-4)
(x-3) (x-9)
(x+10)*

Don't laugh at me, plz :colondollar:
(edited 10 years ago)
It does get harder... :tongue:

"remove brackets and simplify"

(x+4) (x-2)
(x+1)* + (x+4)*

"Solve the following"

12 = 2x - 8
3x -7 = -10
6 - 2a = 3
x + 2 = 3.1
a - 3 = 3a - 7 (^_^) (ignore this ans the face)
3(2x+1) + 2 (x-1) = 23
(x+3)(x+1)=2x
Reply 7749
Original post by thatitootoo
I have quite a few...:tongue: Do you wish to introduce me to the appropriate section der TSR, or would you be kind enough to grant me the pleasure of comfortably remaining in my beloved home-lounge?:wink: honesly don't know how I passed GCSE Maths with close to 0 knowledge of das Algebra :redface:

If you're offline right now Fishfinger...then Aquismo, Octo & all those other linguist TSRians with a superior knowledge of Maths, (i.e. everyone else here):tongue: FEEL FREE TO HELP ME!!

Okk so...:tongue: simplify

2x + 3y + 7x - 2y...The answer is not as simple as 9x + 1y IS IT???
a* + 3a + 4 + a* + 7a - 5 key: * = "squared sign"

Multiply out the bracket

x(x + 4)

Simplify

2(3x+2) -2 (x+4)
(x+3) (x-4)
(x-3) (x-9)
(x+10)*

Don't laugh at me, plz :colondollar:

No problem! Let's begin

2x + 3y + 7x - 2y... the answer IS that simple. :biggrin: although the 1 can be omitted before y because if there is no coefficient 1 is assumed.

a* + 3a + 4 + a* + 7a - 5... you do the same thing as before, put the like terms together, except a* is different to a, despite them both having a. So a* + a* gives 2a*, 3a + 7a gives 10a and 4-5 = -1, so the final answer is 2a* + 10a -1

x(x + 4)... you simply have to multiply term in the brackets by x, so it becomes (x times x + 4 times x), or x* + 4x

2(3x+2) ... same principle, except now you have to do it to both brackets. So 2(3x+2) = (2 times 3x + 2 times 2) = 6x+4, and -2 (x+4) (note that the negative must be included) = (-2 times x + -2 times 4) = -2x -8. Now add all of them together and you get 6x+4-2x-8 = 4x-4

(x+3) (x-4)... now this gets a bit trickier. you have multiply each of the terms in the first bracket with each of the terms in the second bracket. I would draw a table like this

times x -4

x x* -4x

3 3x -12

So you multiply each term in the left column with each term in the top row, then you add them together. x*+3x-4x-12 = x*-x-12.

(x-3) (x-9)... same principle.

times x -9

x x* -4x

-3 -3x +27 (negative times negative = positive)

so x*-4x-3x+27 = x*-7x+27

(x+10)*... this is the same as (x+10)(x+10), then all you have to do is do the same thing as the previous two quesitons. See if you can do this yourself. :smile: If you need help, ask again. :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tehFrance
Really? I find all this to be confusing as you're all English and finding a Germanic language hard :lol:

Ignore all previous language rules when learning a language otherwise you're hindered.

:yep: I find French, Spanish and Italian 10000 x easier than German :colondollar:

That is also true!

DEUTSCH IST FANTASTISCH!

I'll get to you with my Algebra treat in a minute :wink:

Pero no puedo hablarlo :tongue:
Reply 7751
Original post by L'Evil Fish
:yep: I find French, Spanish and Italian 10000 x easier than German :colondollar:

That is also true!

Agreed!

No hablarlo/no lo hablo. Remember saber (almost typed savoir :tongue:) is used to say to know how to do something.
Original post by AquisM
Agreed!

No hablarlo/no lo hablo. Remember saber (almost typed savoir :tongue:) is used to say to know how to do something.

I keep forgetting that... :colone: I'll remember now!
Original post by AquisM
No problem! Let's begin

2x + 3y + 7x - 2y... the answer IS that simple. :biggrin: although the 1 can be omitted before y because if there is no coefficient 1 is assumed.

a* + 3a + 4 + a* + 7a - 5... you do the same thing as before, put the like terms together, except a* is different to a, despite them both having a. So a* + a* gives 2a*, 3a + 7a gives 10a and 4-5 = -1, so the final answer is 2a* + 10a -1

x(x + 4)... you simply have to multiply term in the brackets by x, so it becomes (x times x + 4 times x), or x* + 4x

2(3x+2) ... same principle, except now you have to do it to both brackets. So 2(3x+2) = (2 times 3x + 2 times 2) = 6x+4, and -2 (x+4) (note that the negative must be included) = (-2 times x + -2 times 4) = -2x -8. Now add all of them together and you get 6x+4-2x-8 = 4x-4

(x+3) (x-4)... now this gets a bit trickier. you have multiply each of the terms in the first bracket with each of the terms in the second bracket. I would draw a table like this

times x -4

x x* -4x

3 3x -12

So you multiply each term in the left column with each term in the top row, then you add them together. x*+3x-4x-12 = x*-x-12.

(x-3) (x-9)... same principle.

times x -9

x x* -4x

-3 -3x +27 (negative times negative = positive)

so x*-4x-3x+27 = x*-7x+27

(x+10)*... this is the same as (x+10)(x+10), then all you have to do is do the same thing as the previous two quesitons. See if you can do this yourself. :smile: If you need help, ask again. :wink:

That is also true!

AQUISMO BEAT YOU TO IT!!! :colone:
PRSOM :mad:
MAIS
:zomg:
IT ALL SUDDENLY MAKES SENSE TO ME NOW, Thankooo :biggrin: :biggrin:
No chance you've already worked your way through the second one whilst I was typing this post?? :wink:
AQUISMO BEAT YOU TO IT!!! :colone:
PRSOM :mad:
MAIS
:zomg:
IT ALL SUDDENLY MAKES SENSE TO ME NOW, Thankooo :biggrin: :biggrin:
No chance you've already worked your way through the second one whilst I was typing this post?? :wink:

Who, what???
If you want to do squared signs, otherwise known as indices and you're on a pc, use ^[number]. For example, 3 squared = 3^2. If the resulting equation is confusing, you can use brackets around the ^2 or whatever.
It does get harder... :tongue:

"remove brackets and simplify"

(x+4) (x-2)
(x+1)* + (x+4)*

"Solve the following"

12 = 2x - 8
3x -7 = -10
6 - 2a = 3
x + 2 = 3.1
a - 3 = 3a - 7 (^_^) (ignore this ans the face)
3(2x+1) + 2 (x-1) = 23
(x+3)(x+1)=2x

(x+4) (x-2) = x*+2x-8
(x+1)* + (x+4)* = (x+1)(x+1)+(x+4)(x+4) = x*+2x+1+(x*+8x+16) = 2x*+10x+17
12=2x-8 ; x=10

3x-7= -10 ; x= -1

6 - 2a = 3 ; a = 3/2

x +2 = 3.1 ; x = 1.1
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Octopus_Garden
If you want to do squared signs, otherwise known as indices and you're on a pc, use ^[number]. For example, 3 squared = 3^2. If the resulting equation is confusing, you can use brackets around the ^2 or whatever.

I'm ON MY IPOD :tongue: this is why I can't display my newly developed maths skills to Mastermind Aquismo Unlimited :frown:

Who, what???

Astonishing! For someone who is so good at maths, you can't "work things out" from context for shiat! :redface: :tongue:
Original post by grizzlybär
(x+4) (x-2) = x*+2x-8
(x+1)* + (x+4)* = (x+1)(x+1)+(x+4)(x+4) = x*+2x+1+(x*+8x+16) = 2x*+10x+17
12=2x-8 x=10

3x-7= -10 x= -1

6 - 2a = 3 a = 3/2

x +2 = 3.1 x = 1.1

THANKYOUUU GRIZZLYBÄR! Du bist ein Stern!
Vielen Dank for stopping by, mir zu helfen! Das ist sehr toll von dir :h:
I'm ON MY IPOD :tongue: this is why I can't display my newly developed maths skills to Mastermind Aquismo Unlimited :frown:

Astonishing! For someone who is so good at maths, you can't "work things out" from context for shiat! :redface: :tongue:

You incessantly incoherently babble :smug:

Latest

Trending

Trending