The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hola!

Je suis nouvelle ici.

I wanted to learn spanish :biggrin:

I speak english and french quite fluently.
I can also speak some हिन्दी (hindi) but I have no idea how to use my keyboard for the letters :colondollar:
Reply 7821
Original post by .Chocoholic.
Hola!

Je suis nouvelle ici.

I wanted to learn spanish :biggrin:

I speak english and french quite fluently.
I can also speak some हिन्दी (hindi) but I have no idea how to use my keyboard for the letters :colondollar:

Bienvenue à ce fil! Je parle anglais et espagnol et j'essaie d'apprendre le français par ce fil (mais comme tu peux voir, j'ai eu peu de progrès :tongue: - corrigez mes erreurs. s'il vous plaît).

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was really excited about this until I realised I couldn't use chinese (I speak cantonese and mandarin)... I feel really inadequate with just my english and crappy spanish now :frown:
Reply 7823
Original post by TheHolubowskyj
I was really excited about this until I realised I couldn't use chinese (I speak cantonese and mandarin)... I feel really inadequate with just my english and crappy spanish now :frown:

这儿也有很多会说中文的人啊! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
我也可以写中文啊!:smile: 我们需要一个新中文thread!
Original post by AquisM
Bienvenue à ce fil! Je parle anglais et espagnol et j'essaie d'apprendre le français par ce fil (mais comme tu peux voir, j'ai eu peu de progrès :tongue: - corrigez mes erreurs. s'il vous plaît).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gracias! Je n'aperçois aucune faute dans ce que t'as écrit! :biggrin:

Eres un estudiante francés en la universidad? (Corregir mis errores, por favor)
Original post by AquisM
:lolwut: But you're doinG AS French... in year 10... :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

She did fast-track GCSE French in year 9. Perhaps unusually, the school actually realised that fast-tracking followed by leaving her with no subject teaching for two years until year 12 could disadvantage her A-level chances, so she's started now.

I know this because she started a thread asking for advice on how to prepare, and some people were astonishingly horrible and negative to her about taking A-level French!
Reply 7827
Original post by Marii101
ㅋㅋㅋㅋ, 고마워요. 드라마를 보였는데, 한국드라마를 너무 좋아요!!! 이제 주군의 태양 보고 있어요. 진짜 재미있어요. 제가 2일만 내에 12화 모든 보였었어요!! 제가 런닝맨 봐요. 당신은 벌써 볼지 않아면, 봐야 돼요! (I don't even know if this makes sense but meh)

I stopped learning because I found that I didn't find it interesting anymore so I literally had no motivation whatsoever. However, that didn't make me loose interest in Korean stuff (Movies, dramas, music etc). Through watching shows and things like that, I'm still passively learning, like the word '벌써' I remember from a song I listened too. It's just that I don't actively immerse myself in learning te language I guess.

I switched to learning Chinese and absolutely love it. Hopefully if you get to study in that Uni you'll get to love it too. :biggrin:

런닝맨 제일 좋아네요!
Are you studying chinese as a subject or as an option at uni? I actually find chinese harder to learn from scratch! There are so many characters with no alphabet system but I guess the grammar is straightforward enough to compensate!
Reply 7828
Original post by TheHolubowskyj
我也可以写中文啊!:smile: 我们需要一个新中文thread!

如果没记错的话, 这儿好像已经有一个中文thread, 但是如果你会说多种语言的话, 你可以在这展示你的实力。:yes:

Gracias! Je n'aperçois aucune faute dans ce que t'as écrit! :biggrin:

Eres un estudiante francés en la universidad? (Corregir Corrige mis errores, por favor)

Non, j'ai seulement seize ans. :biggrin: J'etudie toujours dans *secondary school (comment dit-on en français?).

Original post by Octopus_Garden
She did fast-track GCSE French in year 9. Perhaps unusually, the school actually realised that fast-tracking followed by leaving her with no subject teaching for two years until year 12 could disadvantage her A-level chances, so she's started now.

I know this because she started a thread asking for advice on how to prepare, and some people were astonishingly horrible and negative to her about taking A-level French!

Ah, I see. Wow, she must be very talented. C'est horrible! They're just jealous of her talent. No need to pay any attention whatsoever to such hateful people. :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM

Non, j'ai seulement seize ans. :biggrin: J'etudie toujours dans *secondary school (comment dit-on en français?).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Je suis toujours au lycée (high school)
Reply 7830
Je suis toujours au lycée (high school)

Ah, oui. :colondollar: Merci! :biggrin:
Et vous? Êtes-vous à l'université ou au lycée?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AquisM
Ah, oui. :colondollar: Merci! :biggrin:
Et vous? Êtes-vous à l'université ou au lycée?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tu peux me tutoyer! Je ne suis pas si vieille que ça :biggrin:

Estoy en la universidad. De donde eres?
And I don't know if this is the right place to ask but is it impolite not to use Usted? :colondollar:
It's just that I have just started learning spanish by myself and although I find it relatively easy to comprehend since I noticed many similarities between french and spanish words, I have no notion of correct grammar.
Reply 7833
Tu peux me tutoyer! Je ne suis pas si vieille que ça :biggrin:

Estoy en la universidad. De donde eres?

Bien, je te tutoyerai. Je suis de Hong Kong.

And I don't know if this is the right place to ask but is it impolite not to use Usted? :colondollar:
It's just that I have just started learning spanish by myself and although I find it relatively easy to comprehend since I noticed many similarities between french and spanish words, I have no notion of correct grammar.

No, it's not impolite, especially in this thread as we are all just casually conversing. You would use usted where you would vouvoyer.However, Spanish has 4 different forms of you compared to 2 in French. They generally correspond as follows:

- tu
Usted - Vous
Vosotros - Vous
Ustedes - Vous

Now this sometimes makes it harder for French students to choose between the different forms of you. Just remember vosotros is the plural familiar form and usted(es) are the formal forms. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AquisM
Bien, je te tutoyerai. Je suis de Hong Kong.

No, it's not impolite, especially in this thread as we are all just casually conversing. You would use usted where you would vouvoyer.However, Spanish has 4 different forms of you compared to 2 in French. They generally correspond as follows:

- tu
Usted - Vous
Vosotros - Vous
Ustedes - Vous

Now this sometimes makes it harder for French students to choose between the different forms of you. Just remember vosotros is the plural familiar form and usted(es) are the formal forms. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh thanks a lot! :smile:

How come you know so many languages? :redface:
Reply 7835
Ahh thanks a lot! :smile:

How come you know so many languages? :redface:

De rien! Hehe No I don't. I only two fluently, English and Chinese (well three if you count the different dialects as different languages). I just dabble with a lot of others, but I don't speak any of them well. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AquisM
De rien! Hehe No I don't. I only two fluently, English and Chinese (well three if you count the different dialects as different languages). I just dabble with a lot of others, but I don't speak any of them well. :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Muy impresionante! :biggrin:

My friend who is from Hong Kong is very fluent in english and cantonese but told me that she finds mandarin quite hard so the fact that you know so many at 16 is quite an achievement I'd say! :cool:

I know a few phrases in cantonese. *clears throat* -di malay? -ho hua!
And a few swear words :colone:
:lol:

Je n'aime pas être le meilleur :rolleyes: elle pense que je devrais écrire plus que les autres lycéens... :frown:

Je n'aime pas écrire durant le leçon...
Reply 7838
Muy impresionante! :biggrin:

My friend who is from Hong Kong is very fluent in english and cantonese but told me that she finds mandarin quite hard so the fact that you know so many at 16 is quite an achievement I'd say! :cool:

Thanks! My Mandarin's quite average compared to some others out there - my Cantonese is way better than my Mandarin since I speak it at home. Luckily my dad studied in Taiwan when he was young so he helped me with my Mandarin (and Chinese in general).

I know a few phrases in cantonese. *clears throat* -di malay? -ho hua!
And a few swear words :colone:
Hehe I've heard some people say that because Cantonese is so 'melodic' and 'sing-songy' that even the swear words sound less offensive and vulgar. Not sure if that's true to your ears. :s-smilie: :tongue:
Original post by wasabi
런닝맨 제일 좋아네요!
Are you studying chinese as a subject or as an option at uni? I actually find chinese harder to learn from scratch! There are so many characters with no alphabet system but I guess the grammar is straightforward enough to compensate!

Ahaah, it is. I watched all the episodes from the start, I'm currently on 136/160 I think.....:awesome:

I'm in Yr10 so I can't learn it at Uni. I self-learn the language; although I haven't got any books yet. I'm looking to get New Practical Chinese Reader soon. I find that I'm motivated by setting myself a goal of passing YCT 4 which is the equivalent to HSK 3 next year. (The HSK is a Chinese proficiency test and so is the YCT, it's just that the YCT is for people my age (15 and under).

You should try using the confucius institute's website. I can't link it here right now but if you search the name in Google, you'll find them. They have beginner child series that build up from the basics for free so you should check it out (it's called Happy Chinese which is 快乐汉语 in Mandarin - they also have a purchasable book series.)

Also check out Memrise to build vocab, they also have Korean lists that you can use (pretty much every major language is covered).

Yes, the grammar is like a relief compared to the other parts of the language. Most of the concepts are simple once you learn them; kinda like Maths.:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending