:moon:
Original post by fadytousa
What do you think?
- sheffield (medicine)
- cardiff (medicine)
- dundee (medicine)
- dundee (dentistry)
- king's (dentistry)

I'm pretty sure you can't apply for 5 medicine/dentistry/vet courses. And I'm not sure how you'll write a single PS which tells the med schools you're 100% committed to medicine while convincing the dental schools that you're 100% committed to dentistry. "Commitment to medicine" is a fundamental requirement for most (all?) med schools, and if there's any doubt in the mind of a PS assessor, that could be fatal for your application. I'm not sure about dentistry, but I suspect it is the same. Anyway, good luck if you decide this is what you want to pitch for.
Original post by lilypad41
hey guys i was just wondering how much i am in a disadvantage by not taking A2 biology. i am applying to queen mary, keele,sheffield and manchester.

There are a few med schools that you cannot apply to without A2 biology (see wiki article on 'a level requirements') but you have as good a chance as anyone elsewhere, assuming you're offering other subjects that they ask for. However, the nature of your question coupled with a list of med schools suggests you may be approaching the selection process from the wrong direction. The first step is to figure out where you can apply (eg, are you offering the right subjects? do you have the minimum grades they ask for?), then ask where you should apply (where will your application be competitive?), then ask where you want to apply. The wiki has lots of articles to help you, including one on 'applying using your strengths'. Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by salmaed
does anyone know which Uni's only use the UKCAT for borderline cases? thanks!!

Bristol can be added to the list of those already mentioned - they don't use UKCAT at all. The wiki article on 'UKCAT' explains how med schools which require UKCAT will use scores when ranking applications. If a med school isn't mentioned in that article, it doesn't use UKCAT (this does not imply it requires BMAT). Good luck!
Original post by salmaed
if your fifth choice is biomedical sciences, does that mean you have to write another personal statement for biomedical sciences ?

Original post by unknownone
You can only send one personal statement; but biomedical science courses understand that there will be people applying to the course as their fifth choice after medicine so a medicine personal statement is fine for it. I think.

The biomed courses understand where you're coming from. In my case, I got a biomed offer within a few days of submitting my UCAS form, without interview. You can ask the fifth option if you can email a separate PS, and some say yes, but they are under no obligation to agree to your request.

Original post by Katep_30
Can you apply to 3 medical schools and have 2 options as something else e.g. biomedical sciences?

Yes you can, although 4+1 is much more common. Btw, some med schools make unsolicited offers for their biomed course if they reject your application to study medicine. I assume that their motive is to ensure their biomed courses are full, but I can't tell you how common this practice is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Medicine .
So, do we really have to enter our UKCAT score on UCAS? I don't remember giving Pearson VUE my UCAS personal ID when registering for a test... :O

Original post by studnetMo
My sixth form told us we have to enter them on UCAS. And it makes sense seeing as there is a section for the UKCAT when your adding qualifications. I also didn't give Pearson Vue my UCAS ID so what other way would the uni's have of finding out our UKCAT score? If someone else knows more about this they could probably be of more assistance than myself xD

Original post by Medicine .
Oh gosh... you sure? :frown: Some people told me that I didn't have to. So, I didn't put it. :cry2: I'm going to cry. Lots of people didn't put it last year, so how did the unis find out their score?

Relax guys. Your UKCAT results are transmitted automagically to UCAS and your chosen med schools. Please do a favour to students in years below yours, and let your teachers know the facts.
Original post by kaitlynnn
Hey can someone advice on which unis should I choose? My gcses are 8A* 1A. Forecasts are 4A's for AS and 2A*and 2A's for A2. I'm pretty upset about the forecast. My lecturers are not willing to forecast me 4 A* for my A2 yet as I have not set for my as. Will the forecasts grades have a detrimental effect on my application?

You'll be fine - many successful medics would have killed for those grades and predictions when applying. It would only matter at Barts, where predicted grades count towards their tariff system (even then, you may be competitive - I don't know their system or your other stats well enough to say). Your average UMS will be more important than predicted grades at Cambridge, though obviously they are not independent variables. Your GCSEs are very important for Oxford (they look at the percentage of A*s), but otherwise, I think you can apply anywhere. Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by madgene
hey! My stats are pretty similar to yours..
GCSE: 5A*s 7As
AS: AAAB
UKCAT: 2420…
So I've done some research and found some non-UKCAT heavy universities. I think the ones which suits us the most are
1.Liverpool <no UKCAT, scores candidates' GCSE by a/a*=2 b=1 among 8 subjects>
2. Keele <looks at UKCAT only after the interview>
3. Leeds <UKCAT same as keele>
4. Bristol <no ukcat>
but I'm still not sure where I'm applying.. :frown:

I went to Leeds Open Day last year, and the filters were (in order) minimum requirements, academics, UKCAT, personal statement, interview (MMI). I don't think it has changed for this year, but maybe someone who went to this year's Open Day can confirm?

Btw, the wiki article on 'UKCAT' goes beyond explaining the mechanics of the exam - it also describes how med schools use UKCAT scores in their selection processes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by AhmedDavid
Also I have a question which I would appreciate someone replied to: I have just finished my AS year and Im in Yr13. I have done my research but Im still finding it very difficult to select which Uni I will be most likely to get an interview at. I have currently achieved (A) Physics (A) Biology (B) Maths (B) Chemistry. I also have a lot of work experience including travelling to Kenya to volunteer at a hospital. I have a decent Personal statement which has been checked by admission officer and she thinks to think its pretty good. My UKCAT is 675 & Band 1 in SJT. What would be the best Universities to apply to where I will almost certainly get an interview.

I understand your focus on getting interviews, but the chances of getting an offer post-interview vary widely (see wiki article on 'competition ratios'), and it's offers that count. Hopefully your research has included all the relevant articles in the wiki - this should help you with the shortlisting process. Good luck!
Hey everyone, just got my UKCAT results, I got 695
I'm a reapplicant with A*AAb
I'm not sure if they matter anymore but GCSE: 5A*, 3.5A, 1C

I'm thinking to apply to Manchester
I'd like to apply to Kings, what are my chances of getting an interview?
And what other unis would be good choices? ( I tried Leicester and SGUL last year, dnt wanna try again.)

Thanks in advance for any advice
Reply 630
Original post by Pastaferian
There are lots, but you are right to note that a handful of med schools will look at your GCSEs to gauge your academic potential. Read the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' for guidance on where you should/shouldn't apply. Good luck!

Aha I will do, thanks for that :biggrin:
Relax guys. Your UKCAT results are transmitted automagically to UCAS and your chosen med schools. Please do a favour to students in years below yours, and let your teachers know the facts.

You are absolutely right about that, apologies to anyone who I might have scared :redface:
Original post by studnetMo
You are absolutely right about that, apologies to anyone who I might have scared :redface:

Haha, it's okay. :smile:
Reply 632
I went to Leeds Open Day last year, and the filters were (in order) minimum requirements, academics, UKCAT, personal statement, interview (MMI). I don't think it has changed for this year, but maybe someone who went to this year's Open Day can confirm?

Btw, the wiki article on 'UKCAT' goes beyond explaining the mechanics of the exam - it also describes how med schools use UKCAT scores in their selection processes.

Yess thank you. I figured it out yesterday that Leeds actually do look at our UKCAT with some emphasis plus they priortize A*s unlike liv and bristol :P thanks for the info!!!! I'm an international student, havent been to any open days. I envy you so much! Going to open days and visiting unis :biggrin:
Reply 633
Hi guys,
I took 673 in the UKCAT, and I've know today that my predicted grade in the Italian degree (Esame di Stato) is 95%.

In the King's College's website it is written that it is required 90%.

Do you think that this 5% more can compensate the 673? (It's written it would be good a 695 even if there isn't a cut-off score).

Thank you!
Reply 634
Hi ,

I am an A-level student. I came to the UK in 2011 from India. I will be applying this year as a home student. I did 4 GCSE and 4 AS level in SINGLE year and still got good grades. Following are my stats :-

GCSE- Mathematics A*, Core Science A*, Punjabi A*, Applied Science A*, Hindi A, Human Health and Physiology A.
AS-Levels- AAAA in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Physics.

I have Indian year 10 qualifications which are equivalent to UK Gcses as approved by UKNARIC and ESOL Level 1 certificates.

I am doing all for science subjects in A2 and was thinking either to do English Gcse or IELTS as i haven't done that yet.

Will be predicted A*A*AA or may be A*A*A*A :smile:

UKCAT on 28th september ..

ANY suggestions ??
Hi does anyone know the subtest cut off scores for last year in Exeter??:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey does anyone know how Sheffield looks at the ukcat. I got 650 which is pretty low so I need to apply to unis which don't consider the ukcat as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by (Assassin)
Hey does anyone know how Sheffield looks at the ukcat. I got 650 which is pretty low so I need to apply to unis which don't consider the ukcat as much

"For 2013 entry a score of 2600 or above (the national average) was required to meet the minimum requirement", so you would be right on the borderline. IIRC correctly, the threshold was a lot lower previously, and it has presumably gone up in response to a rise in the number of applications. Sheffield's reputation as a PS-heavy med school tends to attract people who haven't got stellar grades, and because Southampton has switched this year from being PS-heavy to UKCAT-heavy, I can only see demand for places at Sheffield increasing and the threshold rising further. So (and this is just my opinion) I think it would be very risky for you to apply there.
Original post by Shiam
Hi , I am an A-level student. I came to the UK in 2011 from India. I will be applying this year as a home student. I did 4 GCSE and 4 AS level in SINGLE year and still got good grades. Following are my stats :-
GCSE- Mathematics A*, Core Science A*, Punjabi A*, Applied Science A*, Hindi A, Human Health and Physiology A.
AS-Levels- AAAA in Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Physics.
I have Indian year 10 qualifications which are equivalent to UK Gcses as approved by UKNARIC and ESOL Level 1 certificates.
I am doing all for science subjects in A2 and was thinking either to do English Gcse or IELTS as i haven't done that yet.
Will be predicted A*A*AA or may be A*A*A*A :smile:
UKCAT on 28th september .. ANY suggestions ??

You've obviously got a strong academic record - the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' will tell you which med schools would be a good fit. However, wait until you've got your UKCAT scores before making final decisions, as the UKCAT score could also affect your choices. You will definitely need the English qualification - it's a requirement for every med school. As you won't have it when you apply, make sure it is clear that you plan to take it this year (perhaps your teacher can include this fact in the school's reference?). Good luck!
Reply 639
I got 768 in my UKcat! Is this good enough to apply to Newcastle and Durham with??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending