The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mmms95
Hi thank for the reply! Did you talk about any work experience though? I'm not worried about my grades too much, but since I don't have FM, I don't want to be disadvantaged. Also what books would you recommend? And is it okay if I mention an article? (sorry for so many questions ahah)

Btw, do you think I should continue on with all my subjects? I'm a bit wary about English :s And ICT is non-preffered but I don't find it hard + it doesnt take up too much time, so I don't mind taking it.

Yeah, I'll have a closer look at the PS guidelines as well, also, one last thing, did you spend a lot of time talking about Extra curriculars??

My case is a little different, I had a year out and I worked the whole year so it was a big part of my application.

For BMS/Maths with Econ, further math is highly preferred from what I know...maybe consider taking it to AS level. I self taught myself FM and its not too bad. Maybe consider dropping doing 3 A levels (maths, physics, english) and do the AS level in further maths. It really would help a lot. The 2 people I know who've gotten in for the course in previous years both had FM as well+their website states it as highly recommended so definitely look into that.

I don't know about mentioning articles, but if you've read a book that you thought was really interesting, then there's no harm in mentioning it, but make sure it fits in with you P.S well. If its forced in just to show that you're read it may be weird. I mentioned a book that got me interested in maths/applications of maths to finance (Reminiscences of a stock operator) myself.

Nah, I didn't have too many. I think my reference included stuff about me having been prefect etc but barring being a substitute on our football team I didn't do many EC's :colondollar:.

No problem about the questions, happy to help.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hi all,

Applying for maths and Econ. Daren't even hope I get an offer but it's my 1st choice so keeping my fingers crossed.

I have 13 GCSEs, all A*s (one of them is an A* with distinction for a further maths iGCSE). I've completed my maths A2 and have the A* requirements and As in my other AS results. Module scores thus far are:

Maths
C1 - 100
C2 - 96
S1 - 91
M1 - 85
C3 - 97
C4 - 99

Further maths
FP1 - 96

History Unit 1 - 100
History Unit 2 - 93

Economics Unit 1 - 100
Economics Unit 2 - 100

Predictions:
4A*s not including general studies or EPQ

And I'm also practically finished with an EPQ on financial models and the 2007 financial crisis, hoping for an A or above!

I've just finished my personal statement and I'm waiting on my reference before I send off my UCAS next week. Guess I'll just have to play the waiting game, not much to do now except keep reading!

Good luck everyone! Exciting times to see if any offers come our way!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mmms95
ahhh okay. The thing is with FM, is that it's not offered at my school, so there's nothing much I can do about it. Plus the CIE FM is much harder compared to Edexcel :frown:
It says though, that FM or a science is recommended, on their website. But I'll think about emailing and see what they think. thanks for your advice though! You've made the PS sound a lot more approachable to achieve (i.e. a good PS :P) :biggrin:

I think I might do all four A-Levels though, but I'll probably email admissions just to double-check with what their view on it is.

Yep, I'm an international student myself and had a look at the cie stuff before choosing to do it with edexcel. Definitely harder, especially the mechanics bits. The AS part of it isn't too bad though, you could always sit the edexcel one anyway right, like as a private candidate or something...I sat it via the British Council in my country.

Emailing them is a good idea, maybe talk to other people who've gotten offers for the course (as far as I saw on the 2013 application thread when I was applying, pretty much everyone had FM, though I'm sure people do get offers without it since its not an explicit requirement)+applications are considered holistically. My gcse scores are significant below lse average for example.

They're real sticklers for a P.S from what I know so make sure your passion for the subject stands out and good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by sighnomore
Hi all,

Applying for maths and Econ. Daren't even hope I get an offer but it's my 1st choice so keeping my fingers crossed.

I have 13 GCSEs, all A*s (one of them is an A* with distinction for a further maths iGCSE). I've completed my maths A2 and have the A* requirements and As in my other AS results. Module scores thus far are:

Maths
C1 - 100
C2 - 96
S1 - 91
M1 - 85
C3 - 97
C4 - 99

Further maths
FP1 - 96

History Unit 1 - 100
History Unit 2 - 93

Economics Unit 1 - 100
Economics Unit 2 - 100

Predictions:
4A*s not including general studies or EPQ

And I'm also practically finished with an EPQ on financial models and the 2007 financial crisis, hoping for an A or above!

I've just finished my personal statement and I'm waiting on my reference before I send off my UCAS next week. Guess I'll just have to play the waiting game, not much to do now except keep reading!

Good luck everyone! Exciting times to see if any offers come our way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate it when people say "I won't get an offer" when they have near perfect grades and are pretty much guaranteed one.
Original post by Dilzo999
I hate it when people say "I won't get an offer" when they have near perfect grades and are pretty much guaranteed one.

Seriously, I know people who have better grades and didn't get an offer. You really can't tell!
Original post by sighnomore
Seriously, I know people who have better grades and didn't get an offer. You really can't tell!

This isn't Maths at Trinity, Cambridge you know; if you have a good personal statement with those grades, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be made an offer.
LSE look at UMS scores if you're applying for Economics and you're good there, plus they focus on GCSE's a fair bit so that should only help you given your scores.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 166
Original post by abhiksetia
This isn't Maths at Trinity, Cambridge you know; if you have a good personal statement with those grades, I find it hard to believe that you wouldn't be made an offer.
LSE look at UMS scores if you're applying for Economics and you're good there, plus they focus on GCSE's a fair bit so that should only help you given your scores.

lse isnt much easier than cambridge.For some courses, there are up to 20 candidates per place.
Original post by arminb
lse isnt much easier than cambridge.For some courses, there are up to 20 candidates per place.

There's a difference. Higher quality applicants apply first of all, plus the step requirements are monstrous for Cambridge Maths, which was the course I had mentioned. I highly doubt if the person who I had responded to doesn't get an offer from LSE with their grades, if they write a good personal statement.
Reply 168
There's a difference. Higher quality applicants apply first of all, plus the step requirements are monstrous for Cambridge Maths, which was the course I had mentioned. I highly doubt if the person who I had responded to doesn't get an offer from LSE with their grades, if they write a good personal statement.

as I said, it is not MUCH easier to get into LSE compared to cambridge.But i agree that most people who apply to Cambridge have average ums of 90% and above at AS which is not the case in LSE but still most people who apply to LSE have 3 As or above at AS level. Besides, would you say a law course at Cambridge is harder to get into or a law course at LSE. Similarly, Economics is very difficult at LSE, i have seen people who got into Oxbridge but were refused from LSE.
Reply 169
Hi, I'm kind of new to TSR so I dont really know how this thread business works but I was wondering if anyone could be honest with me and tell me whether or not I could get into LSE doing social policy and economics with these grades:

GCSE:
8A's and 4B's

AS:
3A's (maths, sociology and economics)
1B (ICT A2 - I took it a year early)

Thanks!
Doing the German Abitur. Applying for Maths and Economics. Any other germans here?
Original post by llandresgonzalez
Doing the German Abitur. Applying for Maths and Economics. Any other germans here?

Not German but applying for the same course.
Reply 172
Original post by romaar_v
Hi, I'm kind of new to TSR so I dont really know how this thread business works but I was wondering if anyone could be honest with me and tell me whether or not I could get into LSE doing social policy and economics with these grades:

GCSE:
8A's and 4B's

AS:
3A's (maths, sociology and economics)
1B (ICT A2 - I took it a year early)

Thanks!

no one can say whether you can or can't, but those grades are perfectly fine to apply to LSE for social policy. Although they are not amazing but anyone with the right mind would give it a try as you have 5 choices. Focus on writing a very good Personal Statement, make sure that you are predicted at least AAA and just hope for the best. (also a good reference)
Just got a confirmation of a deferred place for 2014. I'd applied for 2013 and got an unconditional after A level results, but had a great opportunity turn up for the next year, and asked for a deferral, so now I'll be going in 2014.

Would be happy to assist anyone with questions they may have regarding the application procedure having been through it over the last year.
Reply 174
Just got a confirmation of a deferred place for 2014. I'd applied for 2013 and got an unconditional after A level results, but had a great opportunity turn up for the next year, and asked for a deferral, so now I'll be going in 2014.

Would be happy to assist anyone with questions they may have regarding the application procedure having been through it over the last year.

For which course is this?
Original post by CD315
For which course is this?

BMS.
Reply 176
BMS.

Ah right! What were your grades etc? I'm applying for maths with economics on a gap year (different departments, I know)
Original post by CD315
Ah right! What were your grades etc? I'm applying for maths with economics on a gap year (different departments, I know)

Aah. That course did interest me a lot in fact, but my relatively poor GCSE's meant I didn't have a real shot at it. Had 3 A*'s in Maths, Further Maths, Econ with an a in as chemistry.

Oh, cool. What are your plans for the year out? I'm trying to figure out how to keep fresh with maths this coming year.
Reply 178
Aah. That course did interest me a lot in fact, but my relatively poor GCSE's meant I didn't have a real shot at it. Had 3 A*'s in Maths, Further Maths, Econ with an a in as chemistry.

Oh, cool. What are your plans for the year out? I'm trying to figure out how to keep fresh with maths this coming year.

Mine are relatively poor as well, but I'm hoping my A2 results will help with that.

I'm just working/tutoring and doing lots of maths; STEP, AEA, MAT preperation, extra reading. Pretty boring in comparison to most people's ideas of a gap year.
Original post by CD315
Mine are relatively poor as well, but I'm hoping my A2 results will help with that.

I'm just working/tutoring and doing lots of maths; STEP, AEA, MAT preperation, extra reading. Pretty boring in comparison to most people's ideas of a gap year.

Haha mine is pretty boring compared to most people's tours of the world etc, but I'm pretty exciting about having a proper job in a field I'm quite interested in. Will be weird entering uni nearing 20 though.

I've started working through some STEP stuff myself, its hard but really interesting. I'm considering sitting STEP 1 and 2 to ensure I won't slack off on the academic front to help keep me focused.
I'm assuming you're considering Oxford as well then, given MAT preparations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending