The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What is Lancaster like for somebody who isn't a stereotypical fresher?

Scroll to see replies

HeyHehehdshahdshadshdshdsahdsahdsahadsHey, I've actually set up a thread for non drinkers to any degree so we can enjoy fresher's.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by katie55
I might have got them confused, I might join the baking society anyway so I will still get it :smile:
Just out of curiosity what do you do in the baking society, as in what do you make?

My tour guide was called Julia? I don't know if that is you.

Ah, no that wasn't me. :smile: You should definitely join the Baking Society, we meet every other Saturday in the morning (you choose a slot between 10-11, 11-12 or 12-1 and sometimes we have more slots if more people want to come). We bake all sorts of things, this term I can tell you we will be baking Chocolate Chip Cookies and Brownies- there will be others but they're to be confirmed! Sometimes we do savory- in the past we baked Cheese Straws and Scones. We will obviously guide you and give you the recipe, but it is a fun way to get to know people. On the Monday before each bake we do a sign-up session so that people can tell us they want to come so we know how many ingredients to buy.

On every other week (the weeks we don't bake) we will be having our socials, a mixture of nights out, cafe crawls, meet and greets etc.

Basically, even if you've NEVER BAKED BEFORE, or you're the new Mary Berry, we want you :smile:

Hope this helps!
Reply 22
Original post by zazzles94
We should have our own meet up on freshers week where we drink tea and have a movie night instead :tongue: anyone in Lonsdale?

Yep Im also in Lonsdale and am studying Geography
Reply 23
Original post by Kirsty-Helen
Ah, no that wasn't me. :smile: You should definitely join the Baking Society, we meet every other Saturday in the morning (you choose a slot between 10-11, 11-12 or 12-1 and sometimes we have more slots if more people want to come). We bake all sorts of things, this term I can tell you we will be baking Chocolate Chip Cookies and Brownies- there will be others but they're to be confirmed! Sometimes we do savory- in the past we baked Cheese Straws and Scones. We will obviously guide you and give you the recipe, but it is a fun way to get to know people. On the Monday before each bake we do a sign-up session so that people can tell us they want to come so we know how many ingredients to buy.

On every other week (the weeks we don't bake) we will be having our socials, a mixture of nights out, cafe crawls, meet and greets etc.

Basically, even if you've NEVER BAKED BEFORE, or you're the new Mary Berry, we want you :smile:

Hope this helps!

That sounds really good, I do quite a lot of baking at the moment so it will be interesting to learn new things and different recipes :smile:
Reply 24
Hi! I'm just posting here because i can really relate :smile:

I'm 22 and will turn 23 soon after we start. I'm studying Biomedical Science and will be with Furness college

I'm not a big drinker and I like to do a variety of things, not just go to clubs all the time haha. My girlfriend is just like me and we've just moved up to private accom in the city centre.

Please do feel free to say hi and we could meet up in freshers :smile:
Having been here a few weeks now, I can definitely vouch that there is a great variety of things to do in Lancaster / Lancashire :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by jcalpha
Yep Im also in Lonsdale and am studying Geography

Hi :biggrin: I'm studying computer science!
Reply 26

I'm studying Computer Science, too! What college are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Was meant to be going to Lancaster, but only got accepted for Philosophy so took a year out to do business studies at a nearby College , Lancaster is a really great place, but unfortunately a lot of the events here are to do with drinking (As it is a double Uni city) UCUM+Lancaster Uni , Unfortunately don't think I can join any of the socials at all , but moving into student accom >.< If any of you need any help with things at Lancaster or what to do if not drinking/events in Lancaster don't hesitate to gimme a inbox :smile:
Original post by Bartowskii
Was meant to be going to Lancaster, but only got accepted for Philosophy so took a year out to do business studies at a nearby College , Lancaster is a really great place, but unfortunately a lot of the events here are to do with drinking (As it is a double Uni city) UCUM+Lancaster Uni , Unfortunately don't think I can join any of the socials at all , but moving into student accom >.< If any of you need any help with things at Lancaster or what to do if not drinking/events in Lancaster don't hesitate to gimme a inbox :smile:

Out of interest, what are you studying there now or are you going this year? I'm taking PPE and all of the talks and introductions seemed to be based on single or joint majors and all I can assume is I have to go to all of the talks treating them as individuals? (If that made any sense) would you have any idea what I need to do because I'm worried I'm missing something
Original post by ItsJustMeAgain.x
Out of interest, what are you studying there now or are you going this year? I'm taking PPE and all of the talks and introductions seemed to be based on single or joint majors and all I can assume is I have to go to all of the talks treating them as individuals? (If that made any sense) would you have any idea what I need to do because I'm worried I'm missing something

I'm not going there now, I'm doing a year at a college (Basically an access course) to do Business Law at Lancs.
So I wouldn't be the best person to ask, But I do think they do them as single units, and they may link in some ways but treat each one as an individual. However I could be wrong so please do double check x
Reply 30
Original post by Ariathax
I'm studying Computer Science, too! What college are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in Lonsdale :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
So glad I'm not the only one. I don't mind having a few drinks but I really don't like clubs. I'm also studying computer science
Reply 32
Original post by ElliotW
So glad I'm not the only one. I don't mind having a few drinks but I really don't like clubs. I'm also studying computer science

I'm the exact same, don't find the appeal of clubs. Oh cool you're doing computer science!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bartowskii
I'm not going there now, I'm doing a year at a college (Basically an access course) to do Business Law at Lancs.
So I wouldn't be the best person to ask, But I do think they do them as single units, and they may link in some ways but treat each one as an individual. However I could be wrong so please do double check x

Ah no worries, thanks for replying anyway ^^ good luck with your course
Reply 34

Awesome are you going to the "what I wanted to be when I grew up event"?
Reply 35
Original post by jcalpha
Awesome are you going to the "what I wanted to be when I grew up event"?

Hmm, most likely (although I don't know what I'd dress as because I never really had a job I wanted to do) :tongue: will you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Anyone in Furness and / or studying biomed / biomedical science / biology etc ? :smile:
Reply 37
I'm in Lonsdale :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, Fylde here. So glad to see a few other Comp Sci people who don't like drinking.

What colleges are all you guys in?
Reply 38
Hey guys! I am too really glad I found this thread and I am looking forward to seeing you during freshers! I'm in Bowland. Are you going to the castle trip on Tuesday evening? I thought it sounded quite cool so I've already bought a ticket. Hope to see you there! What other events are you planning on attending during freshers?
Reply 39
Original post by Engla
Hey guys! I am too really glad I found this thread and I am looking forward to seeing you during freshers! I'm in Bowland. Are you going to the castle trip on Tuesday evening? I thought it sounded quite cool so I've already bought a ticket. Hope to see you there! What other events are you planning on attending during freshers?

where are you buying tickets from ? :confused:

I moved up here around 3 weeks ago because I'm in private accom and I live a couple minutes walk away from the castle lol :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending