The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Would really appreciate some advice, I've got 5A*s and 4As and a B at GCSE, aaab at AS level and 742.5 average in the ukcat. Is it worth me applying to Kings or would I not stand much of a chance??
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 81
Original post by x_ANT
Hi guys, I'm just going into 2nd year doing medicine at King's. If you've got any questions about applying or the course, feel free to ask.

Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for Medicine for 2014 entry. At AS Level I got aaab with A's in maths, chemistry and biology and a B in French. I have 8 A* at GCSE and 4 A's and a score of 2940/3600 in my UKCAT.

I am worried that my B in French will put me at a disadvantage but I am resitting one of my French modules in January which I can hopefully get an A. The results will come out in March 2014 but will the university have decided on offers by then?

Also, how much emphasis do they on predicted grades and does it matter if I have 3 or 4 A Levels?

I also have a good amount of work experience, voluntary work and extra curricular activities.

Will I have a chance of an offer or would my B at French have an big effect on my application?

Thank you !
Reply 82
Original post by Durian
Hello,

I'm thinking of applying for Medicine for 2014 entry. At AS Level I got aaab with A's in maths, chemistry and biology and a B in French. I have 8 A* at GCSE and 4 A's and a score of 2940/3600 in my UKCAT.

I am worried that my B in French will put me at a disadvantage but I am resitting one of my French modules in January which I can hopefully get an A. The results will come out in March 2014 but will the university have decided on offers by then?

Also, how much emphasis do they on predicted grades and does it matter if I have 3 or 4 A Levels?

I also have a good amount of work experience, voluntary work and extra curricular activities.

Will I have a chance of an offer or would my B at French have an big effect on my application?

Thank you !

You can't resit modules in January anymore; there are no more January exams
Reply 83
Hey guys! Greetings from singapore!!
I'm applying for deferred entry 2015.
just finished my ukcat and got 708 :smile:
Applying with actual grades A*AAB for maths,chem,bio and physics rspectively
How'd you guys think I'll do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heya!

I got 12 A*s and one A at GCSE along with AAAA at AS. I am predicted A*A*A* for A2. I also got 785 on my ukcat.

I think this is quite a competitive application for Kings... but im a bit worried about my personal statement. Although I've done a lot of things, I don't think it reads as well as some other people's statements at school. How much emphasis do Kings put on the personal statement really? Will I still get an interview with my grades and ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 85
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Heya!

I got 12 A*s and one A at GCSE along with AAAA at AS. I am predicted A*A*A* for A2. I also got 785 on my ukcat.

I think this is quite a competitive application for Kings... but im a bit worried about my personal statement. Although I've done a lot of things, I don't think it reads as well as some other people's statements at school. How much emphasis do Kings put on the personal statement really? Will I still get an interview with my grades and ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will eat my biology textbook through my ear if you don't get interviewed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Heya!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there!, well i think your chances of getting an interview are pretty high. Personal statements, however, are crucial in the selection process, so i suggest you have family members or even a family doctor go through it. You could also search for series of sample personal statements on the internet so you can have an idea of what personal statements should contain (there is no conventional way for personal statements, but just so you can know if you're on track:tongue:). Well, in general most Med schools need to know if you have what it takes to be a Doctor by being able to relate your extra-curricula activities to your career (Work-life balance)
and indicate your experiences from your volunteer work:biggrin:. Hope this is helpful.
I'll be sitting UKCAT on Oct 3 and i'm somewhat nervous!. Please what online practice questions did you subscribe for? (e.g acemedicine, kaplan etc). Plus for how long and how many hours in a day did you study?:colondollar:
Reply 87
I'm a Canadian student with a Bachelor of Science Honours & Masters of Science degree.

I'm really hoping for King's med - going to apply graduate entry as it'll automatically put me in the undergrad entry (they said). As schools only look at the first undergrad degree, I'm a bit worried because mine just makes the cut off. UKCAT 785.

Does anyone have any input on my chances for an interview? Thanks!
Do kings look at situational judgement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Razer_M
I will eat my biology textbook through my ear if you don't get interviewed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahahahaa... I wish I had this confidence :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Natasha001
Hi there!, well i think your chances of getting an interview are pretty high. Personal statements, however, are crucial in the selection process, so i suggest you have family members or even a family doctor go through it. You could also search for series of sample personal statements on the internet so you can have an idea of what personal statements should contain (there is no conventional way for personal statements, but just so you can know if you're on track:tongue:). Well, in general most Med schools need to know if you have what it takes to be a Doctor by being able to relate your extra-curricula activities to your career (Work-life balance)
and indicate your experiences from your volunteer work:biggrin:. Hope this is helpful.
I'll be sitting UKCAT on Oct 3 and i'm somewhat nervous!. Please what online practice questions did you subscribe for? (e.g acemedicine, kaplan etc). Plus f how long and how many hours in a day did you study?:colondollar:

Heya! I had quite a few people read it through, and I got a lot of conflicting advice which is why I've been stressing over it :/ but thank you for your advice :biggrin:

Okay, for the ukcat I would really suggest you don't stress too much over it. I was literally in tears before I sat the test, and I didn't even need to worry. The test was hard, but the scoring system is a lot different to any other practice test I did.

I bought the 600q book but I thought it was awful. I didn't feel it represented the real test well at all... I actually did the kaplan course, which really really helped me and I went through all their questions. Didn't use medify. I also used the Scoring Higher on the UKCAT book which helped me as well, as there were more questions for me to have a go at. I used the ukcat for dummies book just before I went on the course to become more familiar with questions.

I did maybe 2 hours a day for 2 and half weeks. That was more than enough for me :smile:

I hope you do well!! Let us know how it goes! Best of luck :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
I'm applying to King's this year to intercalate in 2014. Fingers crossed I can get a place on my first choice course. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
With a score of 758 average in the Ukcat, 7A*s 4As at GCSE and AABB at AS. Should I apply to KCL? Will my AS levels put me at a disadvantage? I am predicted A*A*A :smile:
Reply 93
Hi guys,
I got 673 in the UKCAT, and I've know today that my predicted grade in the Italian degree (Esame di Stato) is 95%.

In the King's College's website it is written that it is required 90%.

Do you think that this 5% more can compensate the 673? (It's written it would be good a 695 even if there isn't a cut-off score).

Thank you!
Reply 94
Has anyone got to visit one of their rare open days? If so, what did you think about it?
Reply 95
Hi. I am interested in applying to Kings but not sure if I'd have a realistic chance of an interview. I got 10 A*s and an A in my GCSE's and got 5 A's at AS Level. I only got 625 in the UKCAT- that really let me down. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 96
Hi...

I really want to apply to Kings. I have 11A* gcse, 783 ukcat, AAAA as level. How likely is it I will get an interview?
Reply 97
Original post by Jaffski
Hi...

I really want to apply to Kings. I have 11A* gcse, 783 ukcat, AAAA as level. How likely is it I will get an interview?

If your A levels include Chem and Bio, then probably pretty likely! Make sure your personal statement is tip top though, just to be sure!
Reply 98
I'm definitely going to apply to Kings this year. The only thing I'm worried about is student satisfaction. Does anyone know why it is so ridiculously low for medicine? Seems odd for a fantastic college!
Reply 99
Original post by KanKan
I'm definitely going to apply to Kings this year. The only thing I'm worried about is student satisfaction. Does anyone know why it is so ridiculously low for medicine? Seems odd for a fantastic college!

I'm not there and I could be wrong, but I imagine it could be due to it being in London where there lacks a 'uni community' feel to it. Everyone is spaced out all over London and it's pretty expensive. What I've heard from a mate that went to my school and is going into his 4th yr of the Kings medicine course is the hospital visits were only occasional in the first 2 years and usually poorly organised- however, being central London I suppose you can probably expect them to be pretty overworked! He also said another issue was poor feedback.

Having said that, student satisfaction ratings are only done by final year students and all these issues are only really relevant to the first few years, so I'm afraid I haven't really answered your question at all!

Quick Reply

Latest