The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Freshers 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChristyG1995
My 1st semester optional modules for Geology are on my timetable now, and im not buying any books till i see how many are in the library at the NOC, if there are enough i will stick with them, photocopy pages i need too and such, because as you said, the books are very expensive, if they are in short supply i will probably buy my own.

Okay, thanks, I'll keep checking my timetable then. May I ask when you submitted your options? I picked mine on the 3rd of September and I've had confirmation that my choice was submitted, but nothing since. Maybe it's because I'll be doing a module from the maths department instead of SOES, not sure.

I agree with you about the books, there is no way I can really get them before I go to uni now so I'm just going to wait and see :redface:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Where'sPerry?
Okay, thanks, I'll keep checking my timetable then. May I ask when you submitted your options? I picked mine on the 3rd of September and I've had confirmation that my choice was submitted, but nothing since. Maybe it's because I'll be doing a module from the maths department instead of SOES, not sure.

I agree with you about the books, there is no way I can really get them before I go to uni now so I'm just going to wait and see :redface:

I received the email confirming my options on the 31st of August, so yeah just keep checking the timetable i guess, im sure it will be updated in time :smile: and yeah im not too worried about the books, it said in my book list that the NOC library has them all, but im sure if i really need to find something then the internet will come to the rescue :P
For anyone wanting to buy separate tickets for events (i.e. not the Master Pass) here is the link, you can get them from today onwards

I received the email confirming my options on the 31st of August, so yeah just keep checking the timetable i guess, im sure it will be updated in time :smile: and yeah im not too worried about the books, it said in my book list that the NOC library has them all, but im sure if i really need to find something then the internet will come to the rescue :P

I picked my options on the 3rd of September and got confirmation the same day so hopefully it won't be long now. :smile: My list said the same thing about the library.
For anyone wanting to buy separate tickets for events (i.e. not the Master Pass) here is the link, you can get them from today onwards

I picked my options on the 3rd of September and got confirmation the same day so hopefully it won't be long now. :smile: My list said the same thing about the library.

Im sure it wont be long :smile: also, you are staying at liberty point, right? did you phone them up and ask for your room details?
I was just gonna ask about books too. I was planning on getting them from the library but obviously there's not going to be enough copies for everyone, so i'll have to get in there quick.
But I don't think I'm gonna be able to get them all out on the first day. God knows how long it's going to take, there's about 19 books and I think I'd need a small car to carry all of that.
My mum said that she remembered from the open day one of the students saying that she had bought all the books new and barely used them.
I want to be prepared, I don't want to be in my first lecture, and everyone have the books that we need and for me to be the only one without. But at £50 a pop I want to make sure I'm actually going to need them.
Original post by EmilyT1994
I was just gonna ask about books too. I was planning on getting them from the library but obviously there's not going to be enough copies for everyone, so i'll have to get in there quick.
But I don't think I'm gonna be able to get them all out on the first day. God knows how long it's going to take, there's about 19 books and I think I'd need a small car to carry all of that.
My mum said that she remembered from the open day one of the students saying that she had bought all the books new and barely used them.
I want to be prepared, I don't want to be in my first lecture, and everyone have the books that we need and for me to be the only one without. But at £50 a pop I want to make sure I'm actually going to need them.

I did Comp Sci and we barely ever used books :P

I think unless your school had sent you a reading list beforehand, then just wait and see - hold off on the books for now. When you come for your first week of lectures, that's when you'll be told which books to buy if and when necessary. Most of my lecturers just used notes/slides so we rarely had to use books at all.

Also, you can then use your entitlement card to buy your books at the John Smiths' bookshop on campus once you know for sure :smile:
Im sure it wont be long :smile: also, you are staying at liberty point, right? did you phone them up and ask for your room details?

Yes I am, but I didn't know we could find out about our room, I thought we only got the info when we arrive!
Yes I am, but I didn't know we could find out about our room, I thought we only got the info when we arrive!

Apparently not, if you phone them and ask for your room details you will get them, just ask them for your room details, they will ask you for your name, and they tell you your info, i'm in block B flat 504, room B :smile: i think you can email them too
Apparently not, if you phone them and ask for your room details you will get them, just ask them for your room details, they will ask you for your name, and they tell you your info, i'm in block B flat 504, room B :smile: i think you can email them too

Alright, thanks! I'll give them a ring tomorrow.
Alright, thanks! I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

you're welcome! let me know when you find out
Original post by coolster1
I did Comp Sci and we barely ever used books :P

I think unless your school had sent you a reading list beforehand, then just wait and see - hold off on the books for now. When you come for your first week of lectures, that's when you'll be told which books to buy if and when necessary. Most of my lecturers just used notes/slides so we rarely had to use books at all.

Also, you can then use your entitlement card to buy your books at the John Smiths' bookshop on campus once you know for sure :smile:

Ah thanks for your help =D
I'm pretty glad that I'm unlikely to have to read 19 massive books in my first year too. I only managed about 8 throughout my whole A-levels XD
Has anyone had their optional modules added to their timetable yet?

Also, has anyone from the school of Ocean and Earth science bought the books from their reading list? They're mega expensive and I can't find them online cheaper (I can barely find them at all)

I'm studying geology and we haven't been sent a reading list yet so maybe it's just some of the OES courses? I'm worried now that I haven't been sent one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by v0lcanicash
I'm studying geology and we haven't been sent a reading list yet so maybe it's just some of the OES courses? I'm worried now that I haven't been sent one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im doing geology also and have definitely received a reading list, so if you want i can try forwarding you a copy if you drop me a message with your email
you're welcome! let me know when you find out

Ah damn I've just realised I have forgotten to ring for the second day in a row - really busy with packing and stuff! Do you know if the number means anything, ie would flat 504 be on the fifth floor?
Ah damn I've just realised I have forgotten to ring for the second day in a row - really busy with packing and stuff! Do you know if the number means anything, ie would flat 504 be on the fifth floor?

That's understandable, i feel your pain! haha and i have no idea sorry, it would be a fairly sound assumption i guess, but i honestly have no idea
So guys, now that it's only 1-2 days left, how excited are you? I can barely sleep, really looking forward to it! :biggrin:
Reply 816
Original post by Pelkiu Rotanas
So guys, now that it's only 1-2 days left, how excited are you? I can barely sleep, really looking forward to it! :biggrin:

I am really excited/nervous...:rolleyes:
Have you packed everything you need?
Reply 817
Original post by Pelkiu Rotanas

I am absolutely ten thousand degrees bricking it. Even at the grand old age of 25 the thought of finally going to university on sunday scares the crap outta me!
Original post by TNTTAZ
I am really excited/nervous...:rolleyes:
Have you packed everything you need?

Sorta, haha. Clothes, bedding, kitchen tools and my giant PC. I guess that's all I will need? :biggrin: What about you?
Original post by Simonion
I am absolutely ten thousand degrees bricking it. Even at the grand old age of 25 the thought of finally going to university on sunday scares the crap outta me!

I reckon mostly everyone feel that way :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending