The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
I have 4A's and a B at AS. I'm predicted 4A*s at A2 and the last subject Arabic, I ain't predicted anything in yet as I do that on my own so Idk if the college will even predict anything there. So my UCAS tariff is 580. Would it be wise to apply here? I have 7 A*'s at GCSE, 2 As and 2 Bs and 647.5 UKCAT average. So yeah.

ALSO do A2 PREDICTIONS count to UCAS tariff? And i keep hearing people saying "Oh my UCAS Tariff is 600" but then other say "Well you're doing AS levels so half that, its 300". I'm confused.
Reply 221
Original post by studnetMo
KanKan you seem to know so much about QM it would make my day if you were able to tell me
Do you think a UCAS tariff of 540 with a UKCAT of 670 is too risky ? :redface:
(I could possibly do a last minute EPQ which could ghet me 60 UCAS points for an A)

I don't really know 'so much' about QM, I'm just extrapolating using the data for last year's interviews:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf

So last year, an example they gave is they interviewed someone with 520 UCAS and a UKCAT of 690. I really could not tell you if it is risky or not - as you are 20 points above the UCAS and 20 points below the UKCAT of that example :P

Remember, these are stats for last year. Their candidate's average may go up or down this year. Generally averages tend to get better, but that's just the nature of medicine.

Certainly, the EPQ would help boost your UCAS tariff and make QMUL a much safer choice.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful, I'm just an applicant like you! Ask the admissions department about this anyway :smile:
Reply 222
Original post by KanKan
I don't really know 'so much' about QM, I'm just extrapolating using the data for last year's interviews:

http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/99618.pdf

So last year, an example they gave is they interviewed someone with 520 UCAS and a UKCAT of 690. I really could not tell you if it is risky or not - as you are 20 points above the UCAS and 20 points below the UKCAT of that example :P

Remember, these are stats for last year. Their candidate's average may go up or down this year. Generally averages tend to get better, but that's just the nature of medicine.

Certainly, the EPQ would help boost your UCAS tariff and make QMUL a much safer choice.

Sorry I can't be any more helpful, I'm just an applicant like you! Ask the admissions department about this anyway :smile:

Aha thanks for that! :bigsmile: I will deffo try and get the EPQ done then. Best of luck with your application :biggrin:
Reply 223
Hi guys.

I have a really high ukcat: 3130

However, my Ucas score isn't anything to shout about. I don't have anything other than a levels, so best case scenario, doing four, would be less than 500. What are my chances?
Original post by TheBestDon
Hey there. I'm really confused about whether I should apply here.
I got 2A*s, 9As and 1B for my GCSEs.
For my AS levels I got AABB, and il be predicted A*A*A as I'm dropping my fourth AS level.
This gives me a total of 450 ucas points.
I did my UKCAT and got 735 (average)
Would it be wise to apply here?

Yes apply. I had similar stats (after a gap year) and got in.

Original post by yoyox120
I have 4A's and a B at AS. I'm predicted 4A*s at A2 and the last subject Arabic, I ain't predicted anything in yet as I do that on my own so Idk if the college will even predict anything there. So my UCAS tariff is 580. Would it be wise to apply here? I have 7 A*'s at GCSE, 2 As and 2 Bs and 647.5 UKCAT average. So yeah.

ALSO do A2 PREDICTIONS count to UCAS tariff? And i keep hearing people saying "Oh my UCAS Tariff is 600" but then other say "Well you're doing AS levels so half that, its 300". I'm confused.

Apply. I had roughly the same UKCAT last year and got in. Dw about UCAS tariff.
Reply 225
Original post by Dreamweaver
Yes apply. I had similar stats (after a gap year) and got in.

Apply. I had roughly the same UKCAT last year and got in. Dw about UCAS tariff.

UPDATE I had my EPQ predicted at an A* and my arabic A* so am I right in saying that I now have (140*5) + 60 = 760 UCAS points? If so I'm defo applying xD
Reply 226
ABCC at AS level, 2550 UKCAT, should i apply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaffski
Hi guys.

I have a really high ukcat: 3130

However, my Ucas score isn't anything to shout about. I don't have anything other than a levels, so best case scenario, doing four, would be less than 500. What are my chances?

What are you predicted in your A Levels and are you carrying on with all your AS subjects? Looking on the website a high UKCAT score compensates for a low UCAS tariff.
Reply 228
Original post by cat-lover
Oh no. :frown: Is this the book they give you at the really expensive course or the book you can buy online without having to do the course? Apologies if you can only get the book through the course :colondollar: And new VR? :eek: What changed? I thought the only changes were AR and the addition of the SJT section. Thanks for telling me, I don't think I'd have known otherwise. :tongue: Good luck!

what are the changes to AR and VR, havent heard about either of these and my UKCAT is booked for the 26th, help!!
Original post by theCHW
what are the changes to AR and VR, havent heard about either of these and my UKCAT is booked for the 26th, help!!

For AR, there are 2 new types of questions. The first one is where they give you a sequence of shapes and you have to guess the next one in the sequence. The second one is a little hard to explain. If you go through the official UKCAT mocks, they're right at the end. I believe only 3 or so are the new styles.

In my (and many others') UKCAT, I didn't get any of the new style questions. If you end up getting them, you'll get a small number. I found the new style questions a lot easier actually and it'll probably be similar in the exam.

VR isn't really new per se. They've just increased the number of comprehension-style questions where you have to read the whole text and pick the best statement. The questions are usually like "From the passage, the author most likely agrees with which of the following?" or "What is the tone of the author?" or "Which statement is best supported by the passage?" These questions are a lot harder than the true, false and can't tell ones. I got 530 in this subset this year but 640 last year. My other subsets went okay though so I didn't have a crazy low average. It seems a majority of people are getting 800+ in DA this year so that made up for many people's low VR.

Anyway, I got 3-4 sets of T/F/C in my actual UKCAT. Apparently the best strategy for the comprehension questions is to skim read effectively. Try increasing your reading speed and skim through the passage to find out which statement is the correct one. I got away with reading the text carefully during my practice but in the real exam, this method didn't really work as the paragraphs were really difficult to understand and kind of dull - I got economics-y stuff and two on government/royal family. While some people might enjoy reading about those, I really don't. :tongue: I think it's partly because they use difficult words and phrase things so horribly that it doesn't really make sense to me. The length of the passage was the same as what I had practised though. Go on the UKCAT thread and go through some of the posts. Some people have done really well and might be able to offer tips.

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 230
Original post by cat-lover
For AR, there are 2 new types of questions. The first one is where they give you a sequence of shapes and you have to guess the next one in the sequence. The second one is a little hard to explain. If you go through the official UKCAT mocks, they're right at the end. I believe only 3 or so are the new styles.

In my (and many others') UKCAT, I didn't get any of the new style questions. If you end up getting them, you'll get a small number. I found the new style questions a lot easier actually and it'll probably be similar in the exam.

VR isn't really new per se. They've just increased the number of comprehension-style questions where you have to read the whole text and pick the best statement. The questions are usually like "From the passage, the author most likely agrees with which of the following?" or "What is the tone of the author?" or "Which statement is best supported by the passage?" These questions are a lot harder than the true, false and can't tell ones. I got 530 in this subset this year but 640 last year. My other subsets went okay though so I didn't have a crazy low average. It seems a majority of people are getting 800+ in DA this year so that made up for many people's low VR.

Anyway, I got 3-4 sets of T/F/C in my actual UKCAT. Apparently the best strategy for the comprehension questions is to skim read effectively. Try increasing your reading speed and skim through the passage to find out which statement is the correct one. I got away with reading the text carefully during my practice but in the real exam, this method didn't really work as the paragraphs were really difficult to understand and kind of dull - I got economics-y stuff and two on government/royal family. While some people might enjoy reading about those, I really don't. :tongue: I think it's partly because they use difficult words and phrase things so horribly that it doesn't really make sense to me. The length of the passage was the same as what I had practised though. Go on the UKCAT thread and go through some of the posts. Some people have done really well and might be able to offer tips.

Good luck! :smile:

Thankyou!! thats really useful! :smile: x
Hey guys. I have decided to apply here as well.
Just a quick question, will they count General studies A2 predicted in their tariff?
Reply 232
Hi all.
I'm a graduate but looking at applying to the 5 year programme. Just read this:

'Graduate applicants are ranked on UKCAT scores alone. The top and bottomUKCAT scores that received offers this year was 3,310 and 2,680 respectively. '

Would a UKCAT score of 2490 be too risky?
Reply 233
Original post by Slsam
Hi all.

'Graduate applicants are ranked on UKCAT scores alone. The top and bottomUKCAT scores that received offers this year was 3,310 and 2,680 respectively. '

I wouldn't risk applying. Considering the general consensus on TSR that UKCAT scores will go up this year, the bottom UKCAT score to be interviewed/receive an offer will most likely be greater than 2680. They would reject the applicants with scores below this lowest score.
Reply 234
Hey all, going to be applying here too :biggrin: Just to confirm, is it a 50/50 weighting on UCAS Tariffs and UKCAT? I've only got A levels to go on so hope they're enough :smile: (I play guitar and piano for fun, not for grade 8 crazy tariff points :tongue: hope I'm not the only one in this situation)
Original post by PG593
Hey all, going to be applying here too :biggrin: Just to confirm, is it a 50/50 weighting on UCAS Tariffs and UKCAT? I've only got A levels to go on so hope they're enough :smile: (I play guitar and piano for fun, not for grade 8 crazy tariff points :tongue: hope I'm not the only one in this situation)

yeah :smile: hows your ukcat and ucas tariff?
Hey guys, QUEEN mary is my first choice uni and I have 520 ucas tariff and 677.5 ukcat. Am I like 100% not going to get an interview?
Original post by strawberryfeet
Hey guys, QUEEN mary is my first choice uni and I have 520 ucas tariff and 677.5 ukcat. Am I like 100% not going to get an interview?

It's worth applying. You'd absolutely not be written off.
Reply 238
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
yeah :smile: hows your ukcat and ucas tariff?

UCAS tariff for me is 620, UKCAT is 740. How about you? :tongue:
Original post by Slsam
Hi all.

I'd say so. The UKCAT cutoff is unlikely to go down (with the fee change issues it can be hard to predict, but likely any effect will have happened already). Maybe look at less UKCAT heavy 5-year programmes. Are you considering taking the BMAT?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending