The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
I am! Didn't you see me on the doodle site?
Just need to find the £78 for the train ticket :confused:

Doodle site?

I originally said I could and I still hope to but I need to overcome some logistical issues :/ Plus I need to win my parents over again :s-smilie:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Most probably :smile: are you?

I hope so but I'm not certain yet :smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
Doodle site?

I originally said I could and I still hope to but I need to overcome some logistical issues :/ Plus I need to win my parents over again :s-smilie:

It's a planning site that GOFRE should have linked in the message:smile:
I see!
It's a planning site that GOFRE should have linked in the message:smile:
I see!

I didn't get that link in the previous email...although the message was cut off rather suddenly :biggrin:
Original post by Lucy96
Probably a stupid question, but are postgraduate courses at oxford less or more competitive than undergraduate? Or is it equal?

I don't actually know tbh but this thread may be of use to you. If you mean competition in the sense of the amount of people you're competing against, you'll be competing against less people for sure...but remember, the people you will be competing against will most likely be impeccable candidates (usually need a high 2:1/ 1st for postgrad courses, strong references, etc). That was just a comment about postgrad courses in general though, I'm not sure if the postgrad courses at Oxford are easier to get into than the undergrad course. I think that for maths, everyone who gets a 1st in 3rd year at Cambridge gets access to Part III (4th year) so it may be easier than the sense that it removes the nerve-wracking interview part which you have to go through when applying as an A level student but tbh, I'd think getting a 1st on the Mathematical Tripos would a lot harder. :tongue:

Edit: don't even know why I'm talking about maths. :doh: Just an example of a specific course I know so bleh. :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Felix Felicis
I don't actually know tbh but this thread may be of use to you. If you mean competition in the sense of the amount of people you're competing against, you'll be competing against less people for sure...but remember, the people you will be competing against will most likely be impeccable candidates (usually need a high 2:1/ 1st for postgrad courses, strong references, etc). That was just a comment about postgrad courses in general though, I'm not sure if the postgrad courses at Oxford are easier to get into than the undergrad course. I think that for maths, everyone who gets a 1st in 3rd year at Cambridge gets access to Part III (4th year) so it may be easier than the sense that it removes the nerve-wracking interview part which you have to go through when applying as an A level student but tbh, I'd think getting a 1st on the Mathematical Tripos would a lot harder. :tongue:

Edit: don't even know why I'm talking about maths. :doh: Just an example of a specific course I know so bleh. :dontknow:

You're obsessed! :P
Reply 3346
x
I realised why Maths is so sexy today. Bossing product rule questions in class, I just felt like this --> :sexface:

:sexface::sexface::sexface:
Original post by Pandora.
I realised why Maths is so sexy today. Bossing product rule questions in class, I just felt like this --> :sexface:

:sexface::sexface::sexface:

You know it. :sexface:

See, that's the thing with maths. When you finally get something, it's like this:

Spoiler

Oooh thank you, I shall have a read :smile: Ah yeah, that's true. Of course those who apply will be exceptional, but I'm prepared to work so hard to be one of those applicants :tongue: Oh wow, that's great! The thought of an interview terrifies me. Haha yeah :tongue: Do you know what percentage do? Quite curious!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
Oooh thank you, I shall have a read :smile: Ah yeah, that's true. Of course those who apply will be exceptional, but I'm prepared to work so hard to be one of those applicants :tongue:

Nice one. :biggrin:
Oh wow, that's great! The thought of an interview terrifies me. Haha yeah :tongue: Do you know what percentage do? Quite curious!

Posted from TSR Mobile

According to unistats, 7% got a first but I'm not sure which year so I'm going to assume it was in the most recent graduating class, or maybe last year, doubt it's very outdated.
Reply 3350
You know it. :sexface:

See, that's the thing with maths. When you finally get something, it's like this:

Spoiler

That's brilliant! :lol: Maths is probably my favourite subject right now...I never thought I'd say this at this point last year :tongue:
Nice one. :biggrin:

According to unistats, 7% got a first but I'm not sure which year so I'm going to assume it was in the most recent graduating class, or maybe last year, doubt it's very outdated.

That's much less than I expected; I really am expressing my ignorance :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3352
Would it be a bit odd of me to refer to myself as a 'woman' in my PS? I'm not sure if it sounds like I'm trying to make myself sound more mature than I am. :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Reply 3353
Would it be a bit odd of me to refer to myself as a 'woman' in my PS? I'm not sure if it sounds like I'm trying to make myself sound more mature than I am. :s-smilie:

Spoiler

What's the context? :smile:
Reply 3354
Original post by lilGem
What's the context? :smile:
I'm talking about how female characters in books have affected the way I see myself as a developing woman. :smile:
You're obsessed! :P

Are you male or female?

Edit: Oops, that sounded a bit direct and stalkerish, sorry! I was just wondering, as your profile says male but I always thought you were female...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm talking about how female characters in books have affected the way I see myself as a developing woman. :smile:

I think I would avoid using the term personally, also developing woman sounds a bit vague
Reply 3357
Original post by Robbie242
I think I would avoid using the term personally, also developing woman sounds a bit vague
That wasn't the exact phrase used (I changed it for TSR), but yeah, it does actually sound a bit vague. Still, I'll highlight it and edit it in a bit. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 3358
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Technically I live in London but technically I also live in Kent

Sorry for butting in here, but same! I just always describe it as "London, but the boring bit" so people don't get their hopes up and think that I live my life in a BBC-drama-esque fashion, where all roads lead to stunning views over the London skyline...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3359
2000 characters into my PS and I think I've burnt out. I'll give myself until midnight and then I'll leave the rest to tomorrow. :eek2:

Latest