The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3360
Original post by Pandora.
I'm talking about how female characters in books have affected the way I see myself as a developing woman. :smile:

I think if you're absolutely desperate otherwise try and find a way of rewording it if you can :smile:
2000 characters into my PS and I think I've burnt out. I'll give myself until midnight and then I'll leave the rest to tomorrow. :eek2:

It is very hard work :coffee:
Reply 3362
Original post by lilGem
I think if you're absolutely desperate otherwise try and find a way of rewording it if you can :smile:
Thanks - I think there's definitely an idea in there that I want to include, but it's finding the right wording for it that's the problem. I'm sure I'll sort it soon enough though. :smile:

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
It is very hard work :coffee:
Absolutely! I'm looking forward to actually having a finished product that I can be proud of, but there's a mountain to climb to get there. :rip:
(edited 10 years ago)

Absolutely! I'm looking forward to actually having a finished product that I can be proud of, but there's a mountain to climb to get there. :rip:

Don't worry, it'll be worth it in the end! I've easily gone through 10+ drafts :redface:
Reply 3364
Don't worry, it'll be worth it in the end! I've easily gone through 10+ drafts :redface:
Yep! Wow, well done! I doubt I'll have the time to do that many, but we'll see. I'm on my second draft now and so much has changed :eek:
Yep! Wow, well done! I doubt I'll have the time to do that many, but we'll see. I'm on my second draft now and so much has changed :eek:

I started mine in the summer holidays that's why :tongue:, but it was rubbish back then, I always find ways of tweaking things here and there though, you applying to oxbridge?
Reply 3366
I started mine in the summer holidays that's why :tongue:, but it was rubbish back then, I always find ways of tweaking things here and there though, you applying to oxbridge?
Ah :tongue: Same, but I wrote draft 1 at the start of the holidays and abandoned it after that. :ninja: I'm not sure, I'll have to speak to my head of sixth form. Hopefully, but I doubt there's much chance of me getting an offer. I'm more than willing to give it a shot if he'll let me. :smile:
Original post by knope
Sorry for butting in here, but same! I just always describe it as "London, but the boring bit" so people don't get their hopes up and think that I live my life in a BBC-drama-esque fashion, where all roads lead to stunning views over the London skyline...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I get what you mean. It is awkward trying to explain to people how you live in possibly the most boring parts of London. I always say Kent because its so much easier
Ah :tongue: Same, but I wrote draft 1 at the start of the holidays and abandoned it after that. :ninja: I'm not sure, I'll have to speak to my head of sixth form. Hopefully, but I doubt there's much chance of me getting an offer. I'm more than willing to give it a shot if he'll let me. :smile:

Fair enough. You have to get permission? wow!
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Haha I get what you mean. It is awkward trying to explain to people how you live in possibly the most boring parts of London. I always say Kent because its so much easier

You're up early!
Reply 3369
Original post by keromedic
Fair enough. You have to get permission? wow!
It's more to do with making sure I meet internal deadlines etc really. :smile: Though I'm sure he'll still try and persuade me not to.
It's more to do with making sure I meet internal deadlines etc really. :smile: Though I'm sure he'll still try and persuade me not to.

Oh right, sorry for misunderstanding. Good luck with the persuasion :smile:
Hmm, the maths department here are being really annoying:

I got a C in both Core modules of Maths for AS (68% C1, 62% C2), but an E in my applied (48% S1). Now, I really don't want to retake S1, as I hated it while studying it, and was very happy to see the back of it walking out of the exam.

My plan now that I have a bad grade is, rather than retake S1, self-study a different module (M1), while doing my A2 applied module (D1) in college. Unfortunately, the Maths department really do not want to let me do this, and would strongly advise that I should retake S1, even though I have proved to them that I am able to answer a fair few of M1 questions already (projectile questions especially). Is there any way that I can enter for M1 privately, and still get it to count towards the A Level Maths I am doing at college?
Reply 3372
Hello~>.<
Anyone has CIE AS Level May/June 2013 exam papers PDF?(biology,chemistry,physics,and math)

Posted from TSR Mobile
So who's getting the new GTA game then? :holmes::tongue:
Reply 3374
Thanks - I think there's definitely an idea in there that I want to include, but it's finding the right wording for it that's the problem. I'm sure I'll sort it soon enough though. :smile:

It's a good idea :yep:
Original post by usycool1
So who's getting the new GTA game then? :holmes::tongue:

Being a PC gamer, I don't think I'll be getting GTA V for a long time (if ever). Shame really, was looking forward to a new one after 5 years.
Original post by lilGem

St Hild and St Bede looks quite nice actually, the random college I chose for the open day, St John's doesn't sound particularly appealing after a bit of research, tempted after today to send off my application and apply for St Hild and St Bede, as far as I can see I don't see any problems at all with the college.
Reply 3377
Original post by Robbie242
St Hild and St Bede looks quite nice actually, the random college I chose for the open day, St John's doesn't sound particularly appealing after a bit of research, tempted after today to send off my application and apply for St Hild and St Bede, as far as I can see I don't see any problems at all with the college.

Good for you! I know university college is always heavily subscribed relative to the rest :redface:
Original post by Choppie
Hmm, the maths department here are being really annoying:

I got a C in both Core modules of Maths for AS (68% C1, 62% C2), but an E in my applied (48% S1). Now, I really don't want to retake S1, as I hated it while studying it, and was very happy to see the back of it walking out of the exam.

My plan now that I have a bad grade is, rather than retake S1, self-study a different module (M1), while doing my A2 applied module (D1) in college. Unfortunately, the Maths department really do not want to let me do this, and would strongly advise that I should retake S1, even though I have proved to them that I am able to answer a fair few of M1 questions already (projectile questions especially). Is there any way that I can enter for M1 privately, and still get it to count towards the A Level Maths I am doing at college?

Just do what I did and tell (not ask) your maths teacher and the examinations officer that you are sitting X exam in the summer. If you are better at pure then doing M1 would make a lot more sense.

If the teachers are a real pain you could potentially agree to sit S1 as well and secretly do no work at all for it. But if they flat out refuse to let you sit the exam I would go and complain to the headmaster/ higher up the school with your parents because you could potentially be looking at a grade or two difference here (which is significant for your University chances).

Also as a more general thought you may want to think about a resit for C1 or C2, you will find both easier once you get into C3 and C4.
I'm talking about how female characters in books have affected the way I see myself as a developing woman. :smile:

I don't have as much of an issue with this kind of language as the others. If there is anything you want to avoid in a PS then it is coming across as insincere and too detached. If you are being very personal (which from the context it seems you are) then I would support that kind of discussion. The University tutors are going to get a lot of very formal statements - and although the exact wording may be awkward, so long as the sentiment behind it is not then you should get the green light.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3379
Original post by keromedic
Oh right, sorry for misunderstanding. Good luck with the persuasion :smile:
Thanks! :biggrin:

Original post by lilGem
:five:

Original post by Robbie242
The dining hall at Hild Bede is pretty nice :yep:

Original post by Llewellyn
I don't have as much of an issue with this kind of language as the others. If there is anything you want to avoid in a PS then it is coming across as insincere and too detached. If you are being very personal (which from the context it seems you are) then I would support that kind of discussion. The University tutors are going to get a lot of very formal statements - and although the exact wording may be awkward, so long as the sentiment behind it is not then you should get the green light.
Thanks, that's really reassuring. :smile: I think I'd rather be awkward and honest than eloquent but too detached.

Latest