The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JustTesting
Been reading your post you seem like an awesome person & Im sure you'll make a good Doctor.

I was just wondering as I have just completed my AS, I did pretty badly tbh and achieved CCCDE in Maths, Chemistry, General Studies, FMaths & Physics.

I got 1A* 5As 4Bs 2Cs 2Distinctions 1 Pass at GCSE

I was thinking of picking up Biology in Yr13 as an AS & A2 as it was one of my stronger subjects at GCSE. I was wondering if predicted a min of BBC whether my grades at AS would affect my chances. I was thinking of resiting the year as I think Im capable of a lot more but then this opportunity would no longer be available to me.

Ive almost completed my PS and I would like for you to have a look at it aswell :smile:. I would like to go Southampton but it seems so competitive.

I am extremely passionate about medicine and I hope that shows in my interview if I get one but I was also wondering what other Universities you would advise me to apply to with the grades I currently have presuming I get AAA at A2 :l or whether you would advise me to resit the year.

AS grades are not considered :smile:

Re: PS, see the post above.

Do you want to apply to other 6 year widening access courses?
Original post by BethaneyJ
AS grades are not considered :smile:

Re: PS, see the post above.

Do you want to apply to other 6 year widening access courses?

Yeah I wouldnt mind but I havent heard of any except Southamptons. I would also like to apply to some non-foundation medical schools which I will bear a chance of an offer under my circumstance.

Thank you very much couldnt be more grateful.
Yeah I wouldnt mind but I havent heard of any except Southamptons. I would also like to apply to some non-foundation medical schools which I will bear a chance of an offer under my circumstance.

Thank you very much couldnt be more grateful.

If you resit the year you bring you chances down to 3 or 4 unis. UEA, Durham, Leeds and Kings all do access courses :smile: Nottingham too i think.
If you resit the year you bring you chances down to 3 or 4 unis. UEA, Durham, Leeds and Kings all do access courses :smile: Nottingham too i think.

Mhmm true & Ive heard of Kings but they only do it for people living in London or Kent etc. I live in Manchester
Mhmm true & Ive heard of Kings but they only do it for people living in London or Kent etc. I live in Manchester

The others are still options then! :smile: If you're resitting modules Cambridge will also be out, so will Barts.
The others are still options then! :smile: If you're resitting modules Cambridge will also be out, so will Barts.

Thanks, you've been so helpful are they the only ones or are there any more & the Southampton and Nottingham ones are not looking to bad.

Which non-foundation medical courses at which univeristy would you advise me to apply to considering I get AAA predictions. just wondering
Thanks, you've been so helpful are they the only ones or are there any more & the Southampton and Nottingham ones are not looking to bad.

Which non-foundation medical courses at which univeristy would you advise me to apply to considering I get AAA predictions. just wondering

Without your UKCAT it's hard to say. Especially without biology.

This may help, but it would be work contacting the ones you like to check:

Medical School GCSE Requirements
Medical School UKCAT requirements
Medical School A level requirements

So anyone else coming to the open day?
Without your UKCAT it's hard to say. Especially without biology.

This may help, but it would be work contacting the ones you like to check:

Medical School GCSE Requirements
Medical School UKCAT requirements
Medical School A level requirements

So anyone else coming to the open day?

Do Southampton mind AS resits?
I plan to retake a few modules next year alongside my A2 exams.
Original post by The.Joker
Do Southampton mind AS resits?
I plan to retake a few modules next year alongside my A2 exams.

Within your 2 years of A levels, not at all :smile: Most unis don't mind :smile:
Within your 2 years of A levels, not at all :smile: Most unis don't mind :smile:

Phew!
Thank goodness. :smile:
Reply 90
Hey I got a 595 in the UKCAT (which by MY standards is great since I did way worse in mocks, but obviously isn't that great compared to other Med Students) and a Band1 in SJT. Is it worth applying to BM6 courses I'm thinking (nottingham,UEA and Southampton) and maybe Bristol's contextual offer. Is my score 'good enough' to be considered?

I imagine I'll be predicted: A(*), A, B, so I do meet the requirements. I've done Voluntary work at a primary school for a year, paired reading for a year and will start volunteering as a meal time assistant at a hospital. I've done work exp. in both a GP and theatres (which BTW takes ages to get, since I don't have any family in the Medical Field).

I understand that the main factor for southampton is the personal statement, but surely everyone who applies has a good one with plenty of work exp. so how do they differentiate?

Sorry for the seriously long post
Original post by Aijahs
Hey I got a 595 in the UKCAT (which by MY standards is great since I did way worse in mocks, but obviously isn't that great compared to other Med Students) and a Band1 in SJT. Is it worth applying to BM6 courses I'm thinking (nottingham,UEA and Southampton) and maybe Bristol's contextual offer. Is my score 'good enough' to be considered?

I imagine I'll be predicted: A(*), A, B, so I do meet the requirements. I've done Voluntary work at a primary school for a year, paired reading for a year and will start volunteering as a meal time assistant at a hospital. I've done work exp. in both a GP and theatres (which BTW takes ages to get, since I don't have any family in the Medical Field).

I understand that the main factor for southampton is the personal statement, but surely everyone who applies has a good one with plenty of work exp. so how do they differentiate?

I think you've got a chance :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Aijahs

For BM6 specifically the UKCAT is not used so it is certainly good enough :wink: Do you meet 3 of the non-academic social requirements?

Your predicted grades look fine. Just to make you aware though you won't be favoured over BBC candidates, but likewise they won't be favoured over you either.

The deciding factor for BM6 is PS + Intervew, but you are quite right that the interview deciding factor is PS.

Not everyone who applies has a good enough one. They mark it out of 15:

You're scored out of 15 on the following points:

have motivation and initiative (max 5 points)

are literate and articulate (max 5 points)

have the ability to demonstrate a commitment to becoming a doctor (max 5 points)

Then those with the highest scores are invited to interview and so on.

You're scored out of 15 for your interview, and then your total score out of 30 (15 interview and 15 for PS) is what they use to give offers. Very similar applicants will be compared using other information including references/UKCAT etc

A lot of your questions were already answered in this thread so I would suggest you have a flick back through the pages and see if any questions come up that you hadn't thought of and you will have the answer right there! :biggrin:
Reply 93
For BM6 specifically the UKCAT is not used so it is certainly good enough :wink: Do you meet 3 of the non-academic social requirements?

Your predicted grades look fine. Just to make you aware though you won't be favoured over BBC candidates, but likewise they won't be favoured over you either.

The deciding factor for BM6 is PS + Intervew, but you are quite right that the interview deciding factor is PS.

Not everyone who applies has a good enough one. They mark it out of 15:

A lot of your questions were already answered in this thread so I would suggest you have a flick back through the pages and see if any questions come up that you hadn't thought of and you will have the answer right there! :biggrin:

Hi, Thanks for answering the qs! I do fit the criteria in order to be considered eligible. I read the previous posts about the importance of the personal statement but I just assumed that everyone's personal statement would be ''great'' if you know what I mean. BTW are you currently on the BM6 at southampton?
Reply 94
Original post by CoolRunner
I think you've got a chance :smile:

Thankyou! :biggrin: Means a lot
Reply 95
Hi can anyone please help me deciding whether I should apply for this or not? Im really desperate for help if any one would be kind enough. If you can help me, please PM me so i can send you my stats and stuff. Thanks a lot.
Original post by theworld
Hi can anyone please help me deciding whether I should apply for this or not? Im really desperate for help if any one would be kind enough. If you can help me, please PM me so i can send you my stats and stuff. Thanks a lot.

:hi:

Happy to help :h: I was a BM6er and do all the outreach/openday things so am quite good at it :biggrin:
Reply 97
Hi
Do they look at a2 predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madz2802
Hi
Do they look at a2 predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. They don't look at AS grades.
Reply 99
Yep. They don't look at AS grades.