Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni: Official Students 13/14!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by cara.heys
Does anyone know when we have to apply for our minor subjects? Do we do it when we get there or before hand?

Already costing a bomb and haven't even got there yet :P What does this £36 college membership actually pay for, surely £9000 a year is enough to cover it?

You can enrol now or when you get there.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 781
Original post by cara.heys
Does anyone know when we have to apply for our minor subjects? Do we do it when we get there or before hand?

Already costing a bomb and haven't even got there yet :P What does this £36 college membership actually pay for, surely £9000 a year is enough to cover it?

You can apply for your minor subjects now via your student portal, or you can wait until Fresher's week, where you'll get the chance to enrol on your minor course then. As for the £36 college membership, that money is specifically for the college to be able to organise events/trips etc to create a fun time for you. For instance, in Fresher's week, your college will hold several events. The money that pays for said events comes from the college membership. The college or anyone who is in charge of the college don't benefit from the money at all, it's all for you guys. I hope that answers your question! :3
Reply 782
Original post by laurenlcollier

Can anyone help? I'm studying English Language in the Media as my major course and I'm choosing my minor courses and I've decided on Linguistics, but I'm stuck for the other one. I don't know whether to do Sociology or Media and Cultural Studies. WHICH IS BETTER? And does anyone have the timetable for those subjects if it is your major?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Media & Culture is my major abd as far as I know there are no timetables about, just gotta wait it out for the timetables as far as I know! As for which is better id obviously say Media just because im doing it! Hahaha!
Reply 783
Original post by Orthrus
Hahaha, yeah, i've totally heard of terracotta! I'm definitely not googling it now :lol:

I'll have you know, i have a pile of stuff all piled up in my room rearing for use - plates, bedding, a new laptop, the lot! But i do need to get a suitcase lest i end up carrying everything in bin bags :tongue: have you got anything left to get?

It was so hot in lancaster when i went in february, i'm not looking forward to the weather either D: Did you do the same thing at bournemouth?

Yes I made you google I feel clever/knowledgeable :smile:

I think my parents are donating a suitcase to me, except for dropping off on first day and pick up on very last, I'm using the train the entire time :/
I need to get sheets and maybe some winter clothing I think that's it though :smile:

It was hot in February what is happening? They said it's cold and rains all the time there :s

No I did Computer Animation, but turned out to be mostly Maths and Programming I knew I had to do it but not that the degree concentrated on mostly that and they didn't offer any help or when they did it just confused everyone more. Plus horrendous organization so decided to leave :smile:
Reply 784
Does anyone know where to buy textbook??
Original post by NafroB
Media & Culture is my major abd as far as I know there are no timetables about, just gotta wait it out for the timetables as far as I know! As for which is better id obviously say Media just because im doing it! Hahaha!

Ahh, I don't know what to do :frown: What if I don't like the one I choose?! Hate making decisions hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 786
Original post by HannahS95
Haha yeah! Also I'd get like no money on a loan :') yeppp it's good! Though if I was getting a loan I'd be tempted to transfer it into savings, then give my self a monthly allowance from that to help control spending! Erm idk what building it is :') yeah haha I'll not think too much about it, just go where my timetable tells me to :wink: basically I can do any arts module :') so a very wide range! Do you have any minors? Hahah if you say so! Haha I need a few things :') and I need to pack... :') ooooooooooooooo bitchy :wink: true calculators are essential in life!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha, Oh yeah, i'd forgotten you were kind of, but not really, posh :wink: Nah, i've got a lot of friends who really weren't gonna get much either, but they generally took it anyway. I think i might just divide my leftover money by however many weeks we have and pray to god i don't manage to mess up - i've got a weakness for amazon :rolleyes: That's probably for the best, you don't really need to know more than what time and what lecture theatre :') Hmm, and what minors are you interested in at the moment? I don't have any myself - i'm starting to wish i did though! But engineering and pretty much anything else i'd like would sound silly :lol: Thinking of packing this early? But packing is for the day before! Hahaha, well you know, i have my moments :')

Original post by katie55
Yes I made you google I feel clever/knowledgeable :smile:

I think my parents are donating a suitcase to me, except for dropping off on first day and pick up on very last, I'm using the train the entire time :/
I need to get sheets and maybe some winter clothing I think that's it though :smile:

It was hot in February what is happening? They said it's cold and rains all the time there :s

No I did Computer Animation, but turned out to be mostly Maths and Programming I knew I had to do it but not that the degree concentrated on mostly that and they didn't offer any help or when they did it just confused everyone more. Plus horrendous organization so decided to leave :smile:

You could name any colour, arty thing, or even sciencey thing and i'd probably have to google it - i'm not very bright at the moment after so many weeks of lazing about :tongue:

Yeah, it'll be the same with me probably, except my mam has a history of not bothering on the last day :') But otherwise, it shall be trains as well for me, thank god for the rail card from santander because coaches to and from newcastle took 7 hours or so in total :eek:

I know, i heard it was cold and wt all the time as well so i went down wearing a big coat and immediatly regretted it! And now that you mention it, i need to get some waterproof/winter stuff myself

Hmm, computer animation does sound interesting, but it definitely wouldn't help to not get much useful help with the maths and progrmming, especially when you hoped for a more creative focus :/ But fair enough, at least you tried it out and had a good time with your flat mates :smile:
Reply 787
Original post by laurenlcollier
Ahh, I don't know what to do :frown: What if I don't like the one I choose?! Hate making decisions hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to but in but you can change your module choices during freshers and if u still dont like them, also within the first 3 weeks of the course starting, but the sooner the better :smile:
Original post by katie55

Yep, I remember it quite well actually. I was outside training on a field near the top of a hill in town in a tee shirt and felt fine. A few weeks later it snowed in the training session :biggrin:

It doesn't rain all the time here, only when you actually want to do something outside/when exams are finished!
Reply 789
Original post by Orthrus
Hahaha, Oh yeah, i'd forgotten you were kind of, but not really, posh :wink: Nah, i've got a lot of friends who really weren't gonna get much either, but they generally took it anyway. I think i might just divide my leftover money by however many weeks we have and pray to god i don't manage to mess up - i've got a weakness for amazon :rolleyes: That's probably for the best, you don't really need to know more than what time and what lecture theatre :') Hmm, and what minors are you interested in at the moment? I don't have any myself - i'm starting to wish i did though! But engineering and pretty much anything else i'd like would sound silly :lol: Thinking of packing this early? But packing is for the day before! Hahaha, well you know, i have my moments :')

I'm not posh :frown: At least I really don't want to be the posh one :') yeah I mean I'm sure I'd manage if I had to take the loan but I'm glad I don't have to :smile: yeaaah I think thats most people! Just remember, if you don't have a job/source of income at home then the money has to last you the holidays too! Hahaha i have a weakness for topshop/asos/clothes/shoes/bags :frown: going to have to stay strong though! Hahah yeah :smile: Weeell I'm pretty sure I want to do French, but I had abit of a panic earlier today since I looked on the pre-enrol thing and it says there are only 40 places! So failing that, Italian (i really wanted to do a language) and then for my other minor I'm thinking either geography or media and cultural studies or philosophy or the lica module :') So completely decided as you can see! :') Aww thats a shame, its one of the real benefits of Lancaster imo! But I guess you'll be busy enough already with engineering! Yeah but both my parents work alot normally, so since we're going on the Saturday I wouldn't get any help! My mum's taken this week off to try get me sorted abit :') packed up all my kitchen stuff (minus food) today!
Reply 790
I thought I'd write this here, in case anyone else was having the same problem as me. For my minor, I wanted to enrol in Creative Writing, but I was unable to. I emailed a few people and I found out that I'll be able to apply to take Creative Writing on Monday the 30th of September, during Fresher's Week. For more information, we shall be getting emails and there are also lectures during Fresher's Week. Also, for those who want to do Creative Writing, you need at least a B in English. I thought I should write this here in case people were encountering the same problem as me and were worried. I recommend emailing the head of department to see why you can't enrol and to see whether, like me, you can apply in Fresher's Week. If you need to, you can find the contact details for heads of departments by finding your course here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/a-z/ and clicking the 'Contacts' section. I hope this helps people!
GUISE: how the hell do you pay the college membership???????
Reply 792
Reply 794
Original post by gingerandice
oh thanks ! how do I know my student number ? :smile:

If you go here: http://myaccount.lancs.ac.uk/MyAccount/FullITAccount/Account it should be the number under "Preferred ID".
Original post by Prendah
If you go here: http://myaccount.lancs.ac.uk/MyAccount/FullITAccount/Account it should be the number under "Preferred ID".

ahh thanks dude ! keep on snailing ! x ( lool your avatar pic)
Reply 796
Original post by Loketoki
I thought I'd write this here, in case anyone else was having the same problem as me. For my minor, I wanted to enrol in Creative Writing, but I was unable to. I emailed a few people and I found out that I'll be able to apply to take Creative Writing on Monday the 30th of September, during Fresher's Week. For more information, we shall be getting emails and there are also lectures during Fresher's Week. Also, for those who want to do Creative Writing, you need at least a B in English. I thought I should write this here in case people were encountering the same problem as me and were worried. I recommend emailing the head of department to see why you can't enrol and to see whether, like me, you can apply in Fresher's Week. If you need to, you can find the contact details for heads of departments by finding your course here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/a-z/ and clicking the 'Contacts' section. I hope this helps people!

Thank you so much for writing that, thats the exact minor i want to do and was a bit upset i couldnt and thanks for the contact list as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 797
Yo need some help with modules! I'm doing English Lit (with creative writing as one of my minor thingys), and don't have a clue what to take for my second minor module? I did Law at A-Level (and surprisingly, quite liked it!) so had a look at that but Criminal Law (what I did for A2) clashes with my timetable already so that's ruled out unfortuanately, but maybe EU Law and the English Legal System?

Anyway, any advice would be lavely :smile:
Original post by 3DDY
Sorry to but in but you can change your module choices during freshers and if u still dont like them, also within the first 3 weeks of the course starting, but the sooner the better :smile:

Oh thanks! I hope I can get some advice from my major course leader beforehand :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessicabw
Yo need some help with modules! I'm doing English Lit (with creative writing as one of my minor thingys), and don't have a clue what to take for my second minor module? I did Law at A-Level (and surprisingly, quite liked it!) so had a look at that but Criminal Law (what I did for A2) clashes with my timetable already so that's ruled out unfortuanately, but maybe EU Law and the English Legal System?

Anyway, any advice would be lavely :smile:

How do you know that it clashes with your timetable? :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending