The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamsie555
Then lets agree to disagree, whenever the vet is out on the farms I've been to he has always been asked to stun and pith any unwanted bull calves. The carcasses are then collected by the knackerman. Perhaps the farms you visited on EMS were block calvers rather than all year round?

Obviously you need to have some knowledge of lamb anatomy when intervening in difficult births, but if you can manoeuvre the lamb into the correct position, you can apply as much force as necessary without causing any damage to the lamb. At the end of the day, I'm sure any farmer worth his salt would rather try to get the lamb out themselves instead of calling the vet out for a caesarean - it's just not financially viable.

I am not denying your experiences, nor that vets are required to kill bull calves in some occasions, but rather in your comment you generalised it and implied that is the vast majority of the work of all farm vets. I am sure it varies between places that you go, and both of us probably have too little experience to make broad statements. I'd also advise you to keep an open mind before jumping to conclusions. I didn't want to put people off seeing farm practise as I really enjoyed it.

It is worth remembering a farm animal has as much value as the farmer wants it to be - I've seen cases where it was not financially viable to call out a vet (relating to sheep & cattle) but the farmer still decided to do so. Pedigree sheep too can be a lot more financial valuable, especially of some breeds to merit a vet visit. I agree, however, that the vets involvement in the sheep industry has declined and only forms a small percent of a farm vets work where I am from, but probably forms more of the day to day work in counties that have a greater density of sheep farms.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser

You alright? :tongue:

Yeah I'm good :P I just have moments where I compulsively vent to the Internet regardless of how stupid I sound aha :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Why will it be awkward?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't spoken to a lot of the people for over 3 years :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chaarlotte
Yeah I'm good :P I just have moments where I compulsively vent to the Internet regardless of how stupid I sound aha :P

Fair enough :tongue: I often do the same :redface:
I'm loving my dairy placement at the moment, doing every Tuesday afternoon/evening so I can fit it in with school work etc. I always seem to enjoy my farm placements so much more and the people are so lovely as they're the people I do my lambing with so i know them quite well now!

On the note of school work how is everyone finding sixth form? Personally I don't know if you've heard the train analogy of the step up to a-level from GCSE but the train in that has sure as hell hit me and the amount of work I have has come as a shock! As I speak in currently sat here surrounded in books haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannapoole
I'm loving my dairy placement at the moment, doing every Tuesday afternoon/evening so I can fit it in with school work etc. I always seem to enjoy my farm placements so much more and the people are so lovely as they're the people I do my lambing with so i know them quite well now!

On the note of school work how is everyone finding sixth form? Personally I don't know if you've heard the train analogy of the step up to a-level from GCSE but the train in that has sure as hell hit me and the amount of work I have has come as a shock! As I speak in currently sat here surrounded in books haha!

Glad to hear that you're enjoying dairying. I had a lot of fun when I went as well :h: . How many cows do they have there? :smile:

Sixth form is going alright for me. In biology, maths and physics the 'jump up' hasn't been that noticeable so far, but chemistry is a bit of a struggle (and by 'struggle', I mean 'I'd rather be shot in the face than do another bloody titration equation')! I'm also surrounded by a fortress of books... as fun as interpolation is I reckon that maths will be the subject I drop next year :rolleyes:.
Reply 2106

Posted from TSR Mobile

The dairy farm sound great, I love the LA placements too!
Sixth form is good, and although they're harder, I'm finding A Levels way more interesting than GCSEs! We've had a LOT of homework in the first week- I'm trying to keep on to of all of it but it is difficult. I'm definitely finding Chem the hardest, mainly because I'm not very good at calculations :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Glad to hear that you're enjoying dairying. I had a lot of fun when I went as well :h: . How many cows do they have there? :smile:

Sixth form is going alright for me. In biology, maths and physics the 'jump up' hasn't been that noticeable so far, but chemistry is a bit of a struggle (and by 'struggle', I mean 'I'd rather be shot in the face than do another bloody titration equation')! I'm also surrounded by a fortress of books... as fun as interpolation is I reckon that maths will be the subject I drop next year :rolleyes:.

They have 210 cows if I remember correctly!

Original post by ABC05
The dairy farm sound great, I love the LA placements too!
Sixth form is good, and although they're harder, I'm finding A Levels way more interesting than GCSEs! We've had a LOT of homework in the first week- I'm trying to keep on to of all of it but it is difficult. I'm definitely finding Chem the hardest, mainly because I'm not very good at calculations :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I definitely agree with you both about chemistry, we've not done titrations yet but we've started on new electron structure things that I'm really not grasping! The calculations take some time but I'm sure they'll come to you eventually! Ordered some books today so hopefully they'll help me a lot!

LTC I don't know how you're taking maths, I have enough with the maths just in biology and chemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I need to stop using exclamation marks do much...oops

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2109

I definitely agree with you both about chemistry, we've not done titrations yet but we've started on new electron structure things that I'm really not grasping! The calculations take some time but I'm sure they'll come to you eventually! Ordered some books today so hopefully they'll help me a lot!

LTC I don't know how you're taking maths, I have enough with the maths just in biology and chemistry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which books have you ordered? CGP saved my life at GCSE, not sure whether to get some A level ones or not...my chem textbook is so confusing and difficult to revise from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh thats a lot compared to the place I went to (60 or so cows). Is it a herringbone parlour or a fancy rotary one? :smile:

I really liked the bit on electronic structure to be honest :smile: Today we were laught about Pauli's exclusion principle and Schröedinger's wave equation and the like, which despite being above the requirements of the spec (my chem teacher tends to go very OTT :rolleyes: ), was really interesting :biggrin: Anyway, if there's anything in particular that you need a bit of clarification on, I'll be more than happy to try to help if you drop me a PM :redface: .

To be honest I don't know either :lol: . I wonder how long it will be before the panic sets in and I realise what stupid choices I made :tongue: ...

Original post by ABC05
Which books have you ordered? CGP saved my life at GCSE, not sure whether to get some A level ones or not...my chem textbook is so confusing and difficult to revise from.

Which Chem course are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2111
Oooh thats a lot compared to the place I went to (60 or so cows). Is it a herringbone parlour or a fancy rotary one? :smile:

I really liked the bit on electronic structure to be honest :smile: Today we were laught about Pauli's exclusion principle and Schröedinger's wave equation and the like, which despite being above the requirements of the spec (my chem teacher tends to go very OTT :rolleyes: ), was really interesting :biggrin: Anyway, if there's anything in particular that you need a bit of clarification on, I'll be more than happy to try to help if you drop me a PM :redface: .

To be honest I don't know either :lol: . I wonder how long it will be before the panic sets in and I realise what stupid choices I made :tongue: ...

Which Chem course are you on?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Salters OCR...I think?! I'm even confused about the board that we're using haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got biology AS by Steve Potter think its aimed at aqa? And the Nelson thornes book for chemistry which is also aimed at aqa I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's just a Herringbone parlour they have. :smile:

I think I'll like it once I get my head around it, my teacher just doesn't go through things logically which doesn't help me at all haha. Thank you ill be sure to keep that in mind, don't want to bombard you with a million questions though :wink:

Oh well I'm sure you'll do fine in maths!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ABC05
Salters OCR...I think?! I'm even confused about the board that we're using haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Salters Chemistry! It was awful! The individual investigation you have to do in A2 year is an absolute joke!

On the plus side, the same questions kept popping up in exams, just slightly reworded. The mark schemes were still the same so if you did enough past papers you would always be guaranteed a few easy marks from repeated questions!

As for revision, if you buy the official Salters revision guide (there's one for AS and one for A2), you're sorted! All the info you need to get an A is in those revision guides! Don't waste your money on buying chemical ideas or chemical storylines!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2114
I did Salters Chemistry! It was awful! The individual investigation you have to do in A2 year is an absolute joke!

On the plus side, the same questions kept popping up in exams, just slightly reworded. The mark schemes were still the same so if you did enough past papers you would always be guaranteed a few easy marks from repeated questions!

As for revision, if you buy the official Salters revision guide (there's one for AS and one for A2), you're sorted! All the info you need to get an A is in those revision guides! Don't waste your money on buying chemical ideas or chemical storylines!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear :frown: ok will look into getting that, yes we got given chemical ideas and storylines- they are horribly laid out! And I don't see what the actual point of storylines is?!

Eta: is it this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0435631543

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ABC05
Oh dear :frown: ok will look into getting that, yes we got given chemical ideas and storylines- they are horribly laid out! And I don't see what the actual point of storylines is?!

Eta: is it this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0435631543

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's the one - it's dirt cheap at around £6 too. It's all you need! Although your teachers may argue differently :tongue:.

And yes, AS storylines is the biggest waste of £20 you could hope for, I didn't bother buying A2 storylines
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ABC05

Cool, I assumed we were on the same board :yep: .

II think I'll like it once I get my head around it, my teacher just doesn't go through things logically which doesn't help me at all haha. Thank you ill be sure to keep that in mind, don't want to bombard you with a million questions though :wink:

Oh well I'm sure you'll do fine in maths!

Well the offer's always there :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh err :K: . In what way is the investigation a joke if you don't mind me asking? I've already bought Storylines (teachers told me it was a requirement :rolleyes: ) but I'll have a look at the book you mentioned :smile:
Cool, I assumed we were on the same board :yep: .

Well the offer's always there :smile:

Oooh err :K: . In what way is the investigation a joke if you don't mind me asking? I've already bought Storylines (teachers told me it was a requirement :rolleyes: ) but I'll have a look at the book you mentioned :smile:

Well your college might teach it a little better than mine did... We were basically given no guidance other than we had to devise an experiment/investigation on absolutely anything we wanted from scratch. We then had 2 weeks of lessons to conduct our experiment, and then a further 2 weeks to write it up. I scraped an A in mine but I spent tens of hours on it - it was around 10,000 words in the end. None of us had any idea what we were supposed to be writing about, or how much to write - some of us went mental and wrote nearly 20,000 words, others barely wrote 2,000.

I can PM you mine so you can see the sort of thing we had to write about if you like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending