The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olympiad
IGCSE is MUCH HARDER.
You learn a lot of A level topics at IGCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

IGCSE is actually much, much harder. By universities it is considered AS standard of work. Some people actually don't do a-levels but only do IGCSEs and get into uni (My sister's boyfriend did that and got into Nottingham Uni with 5 IGCSEs and then just did a foundation year at the uni and is now in his last year of his engineering degree from Nottingham which is a very, very highly respected uni. Just so you know, in IGCSE eng lit, you can't your book into the exam, just to give you an idea of how much more difficult it is practically not just academically. So to sum up, IGCSEs are actually harder and more highly regarded than regular GCSEs.
IGCSE is MUCH HARDER.
You learn a lot of A level topics at IGCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Olympiad! Where have you been?! :eek:
Original post by Meliss
Olympiad! Where have you been?! :eek:

I have been busy with challenge, etc and now I rarely come on TSR since I had a long break without it during the summer :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been busy with challenge, etc and now I rarely come on TSR since I had a long break without it during the summer :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhhh :frown: come back Salad :biggrin: :biggrin:
How were your GCSE results?
I was predicted BBBBBBBBBBBBB..
Basically all B's... I got..

A*AAABBBBBBCCC
For chemistry unit 3 I got an A*
Original post by Audi
It depends, if you are going to work hard then go for it! If you feel GCSE was very hard and depending on what your strengths/weaknesses you may have to invest a lot of time in A level and this takes the focus off other subjects. Personally, I was going to take it but decided against it (in favour of physics :colondollar: )

Same! although I don't regret it, I liked Chemistry but it was so hard. I'm a week into Physics and I really like it.
Original post by Meliss
Ahhhhh :frown: come back Salad :biggrin: :biggrin:
How were your GCSE results?

Good thanks! All A*-B

Yours?

How have you been?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good thanks! All A*-B

Yours?

How have you been?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine were also all A*-B! I got a B in my Geography!!!! :biggrin: (C/A ended up as 100% and that skills paper with all the Welsh stuff? Was an A*! :eek: Managed to bring up my two Ds!) Well done to the both of us methinks :wink:

I've been good :biggrin: 6th form is a pretty nice change from my last school :smile: You?
Original post by Meliss
Mine were also all A*-B! I got a B in my Geography!!!! :biggrin: (C/A ended up as 100% and that skills paper with all the Welsh stuff? Was an A*! :eek: Managed to bring up my two Ds!) Well done to the both of us methinks :wink:

I've been good :biggrin: 6th form is a pretty nice change from my last school :smile: You?

I love how I replied 7946 years later and you replied within seconds!

That's fantastic! I got an A* in coursework too, and an A in skills and A* in human :smile:

I stayed at my school - my economics teacher is rubbish :frown:
But my politics and history teacher is awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love how I replied 7946 years later and you replied within seconds!

That's fantastic! I got an A* in coursework too, and an A in skills and A* in human :smile:

I stayed at my school - my economics teacher is rubbish :frown:
But my politics and history teacher is awesome

Posted from TSR Mobile

I happened to refresh TSR probably a couple seconds after you replied :laugh:
Great job! SO glad I'm done with Geography now though!
Awwwwwww :frown: what else you doing?
Original post by Meliss
I happened to refresh TSR probably a couple seconds after you replied :laugh:
Great job! SO glad I'm done with Geography now though!
Awwwwwww :frown: what else you doing?

I miss geography :frown:

ICT, history and Politics

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys i need some advice i did english language igcse and got an A. I got 72 and the A* boundary is 77 so do you think it would be worth going for a remark ?? Pleaseeeee help me i'm confused :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
remark came back, I went up one mark but I needed to go up three :colonhash:
Hey guys so I was just wondering if my GCSE's were good enough for either Imperial or Cambridge providing I do well at AS and A-level (At least A* and two A's).
Maths-A*
Statistics-A
Bio-A*
Chem-A*
Physics-A*
IT-A
German-A
Eng Lang.-A
Eng Lit.-A
Geography-A*
History-B
RE-B
To be absolutely honest I reckon I tried quite hard but slacked off in the last week which I had IT and history (should've got A*'s). My school is not private however it is a grammar school, however I still got the 9th highest mark in the year and the third highest boy. I really want to go to cambridge but my parents told me that I'm not good enough as my sister got 7A*s but only got pooled (however she wanted to do medicine). Most of my friends only have 1-2 A*s and I heard they compare your results to school performance, also apparently this year the gcses overall nationally were lower.
Am I good enough?
Reply 8795
8a*s 2as. Good enough for Medicine in Cambridge?
Reply 8796
Original post by ibbi1824
Hey guys i need some advice i did english language igcse and got an A. I got 72 and the A* boundary is 77 so do you think it would be worth going for a remark ?? Pleaseeeee help me i'm confused :'(

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't get a remark - they're probably worth it when the gap is 1-2 marks, but getting moved up 5 marks is extremely unlikely. However, if you're willing to pay the relevant sum of money (sometimes up to about £35), then there's no harm in doing so - other than the high chance of losing your money.
Reply 8797
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Hey guys so I was just wondering if my GCSE's were good enough for either Imperial or Cambridge providing I do well at AS and A-level (At least A* and two A's).
Maths-A*
Statistics-A
Bio-A*
Chem-A*
Physics-A*
IT-A
German-A
Eng Lang.-A
Eng Lit.-A
Geography-A*
History-B
RE-B
To be absolutely honest I reckon I tried quite hard but slacked off in the last week which I had IT and history (should've got A*'s). My school is not private however it is a grammar school, however I still got the 9th highest mark in the year and the third highest boy. I really want to go to cambridge but my parents told me that I'm not good enough as my sister got 7A*s but only got pooled (however she wanted to do medicine). Most of my friends only have 1-2 A*s and I heard they compare your results to school performance, also apparently this year the gcses overall nationally were lower.
Am I good enough?

Your results are extremely good, and are good enough to get into Cambridge, HOWEVER; they are borderline (i.e. many people aiming for cambridge get around the 9-14 A* mark). If you work hard, of course you can get into Cambridge, but you'll need to work EXTREMELY hard with "only" 5 A*s at GCSE. Good Luck.
Reply 8798
Original post by t.d97
8a*s 2as. Good enough for Medicine in Cambridge?

Definitely. I'm aiming for Maths at Cambridge and realise how hard I need to work. If you don't become cocky, like I'm trying not to, then yes.
Original post by Illusionary
GCSE results day - Thursday 22 August 2013

Good luck to everyone as we approach the publication of GCSE results. This thread is here for you to discuss your thoughts about results with others in a similar position. Feel free to chat about any of your feelings, concerns or hopes with other members here

If you'd like to share your predictions for your results, as well as the actual grades that you achieve on the day, you can use the dedicated "Post your results" thread. Upon publication, the Grade boundaries thread will be used to share the details made available by exam boards. For anyone disappointed with their results, we have a thread with advice for those who haven't done as well as they hoped to help you to decide what to do next.

Am I allowed my OP status back? :ninja:

Latest