The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mimi92
Hi, iam also applying for a pgce for sept.2014 you know when it comes to the 2 referees I asked my university tutor to be my principal referee which he agreed to but as my 2nd referee I asked my old headmistress which I also did some volunteer observing and helping out ect..is this ok or do I need to find someone else? My old headmistress said yes to being a referee already...I chose her as she knows my personality and how this would suit teaching

Thanks

That's fine! After an initial panic about who to use, I'm using a headteacher for my second referee too. I haven't asked at uni yet as I haven't gone back yet, but I doubt it will be a problem.

Main thing is that I don't know where to apply yet! Sort of mixing options. Then I also forgot that they are sort of opening the courses at different times according to UCAS, so just have to hope the three I choose open at the same time.
Reply 481
When is the deadline for 2014? I am also thinking of doing a pgce
Original post by hd237
When is the deadline for 2014? I am also thinking of doing a pgce

Some courses may not have spaces and will remain open right up until a few weeks before a course starts.
Applications open November 1st though :smile:
Original post by kpwxx
It's certainly not not useful. For a start it can show you've experienced it to be sure of the age range you wish to teach. It also still had a lot of relevance in learning theory etc, plus it shows where the children you will teach are going afterwards.

However, you will definitely need experience in primaries as well, as they need to know you're aware of what you're going for and it can allow you to talk about relevant ideas and issues you notice while volunteering.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I have five days of experience in a primary school, plus ten more days lined up, so I should meet the minimum requirements for that. :smile: Not sure how helpful learning styles, theories etc. will be because I'm doing an Educational Studies degree (done all that to death, haha) but I suppose it can't hurt. The extra money would be good too!
Reply 484
Original post by alabelle
Thanks. I have five days of experience in a primary school, plus ten more days lined up, so I should meet the minimum requirements for that. :smile: Not sure how helpful learning styles, theories etc. will be because I'm doing an Educational Studies degree (done all that to death, haha) but I suppose it can't hurt. The extra money would be good too!

Ah I see, will I guess then more linking the theory you already know with what you saw in the classroom :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 485
Hi all!

I know that this year things have changed as regards PGCE application: we have to apply through UCAS and until Jan 2 we have to choose among three unis (= Application 1).

When application 1 is done, application 2 will begin we have to choose each uni, one by one. Does it means that Clearing has been abolished?

Seems that it will take ages to get a place after Jan following this new way of applying, what do you think?

I'm applying again this year, I was unsuccessful last year with PGCE and School Direct so hopefully I'll have a better chance this time.

I will be applying for Secondary Social Science or RE depending on what the options are like this year.

I have 3 years TA experience at a Secondary School working with SEN/Behaviour students.

Hope I win this year!

Amy
I also had quite a few interviews last year and I passed my Numeracy/Literacy tests first time so I'd be happy to help anyone :smile: Although I was unsuccessful at the second round of interviews so my advice might not be so good there!
I'm currently doing work experience in a year one class for two weeks, just completed my second day and the teacher asked what I wanted to do over the next two weeks - she basically said she will try and let me do anything I want to do if I let her know. From tomorrow she's going to start giving me the other TA's groups for numeracy and literacy and said I could read the story at the end of the day, but I couldn't really think of anything else in particular to ask to do. Just wondered if anyone could suggest anything I should try and do, or anything that would have been useful to have experience of for interviews etc? As I know some of you have past experience of PGCE interviews etc and I just want to make the most of this experience as I don't have that much experience in mainstream classes. Should I ask to take a whole class starter session or something?
Original post by amymcjohnson
I also had quite a few interviews last year and I passed my Numeracy/Literacy tests first time so I'd be happy to help anyone :smile: Although I was unsuccessful at the second round of interviews so my advice might not be so good there!

What did you apply for last year, and what is your degree in?
Reply 490
Original post by rainbowworld
I'm currently doing work experience in a year one class for two weeks, just completed my second day and the teacher asked what I wanted to do over the next two weeks - she basically said she will try and let me do anything I want to do if I let her know. From tomorrow she's going to start giving me the other TA's groups for numeracy and literacy and said I could read the story at the end of the day, but I couldn't really think of anything else in particular to ask to do. Just wondered if anyone could suggest anything I should try and do, or anything that would have been useful to have experience of for interviews etc? As I know some of you have past experience of PGCE interviews etc and I just want to make the most of this experience as I don't have that much experience in mainstream classes. Should I ask to take a whole class starter session or something?

Some things I found helpful were:

-Follow a child for a day, or an afternoon. Obviously try to make it subtle but it gives a good overview of what school is like for that child, ESP in free play time, plus you can really learn a lot about the child which gives you lots to think about!

-Talk to the children about what they do. If it was later in the year I'd say go through a book/folder of theirs and let them narrate it to you. However at this point in the year I'd maybe do a general chat interview thing about school... Talk to then about what they like about school, what they do at playtime, their friends, etc. They might like to draw a picture or a mapof it to show you. Again just trying to get to know the child really, it then helps you understand and empathise with children more.

-Perhaps you could take a guided reading group? Or take a few children out to go over something, maybe a maths idea they didn't get. Though that may be what the teacher is imagining with the[TA stuff anyway!

-Could you help making/contributing to a display (if they have a working wall add bits to it)?

What you have sounds like a nice lot of experience and it's nice that you get a chance to work with the children to build confidence etc. Plus gives teacher good stuff for your reference! So I wouldn't worry thinking you aren't doing enough, many people do only observation. I'd use the rest of your time to observe and make notes as you will forget everything otherwise! And in free play time play with the children and practice asking interesting probing questions as that's a habit that needs to be learned... look up dialogic talk. Asking questions that lead the child to explore an idea further rather than simple yes no questions and you talking most (apologies if you already know all about this!!!).

Xxx

SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Airfairy
What did you apply for last year, and what is your degree in?

I applied for the Secondary Social Science courses, there are only 3 I think and I interviewed for 2 of them.

My degree is Sociology and Politics 2:1 :smile: xx
Original post by amymcjohnson
I applied for the Secondary Social Science courses, there are only 3 I think and I interviewed for 2 of them.

My degree is Sociology and Politics 2:1 :smile: xx

Ah, I see! I was interested in social science - the one at man met. How much experience did you have last year? Good luck with this years application!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 493
So I started my classroom observations today and really enjoyed it! I get on nicely with all of the teacher's I've met and had some great advice from some of them already. It was nice to get in the environment, though I think it is going to take me a while to get used to being called "Miss"!

I particularly enjoyed helping out in Year 8 Gothic/horror writing work, the kids enjoyed it and put a lot of effort into it!

However, I was amazed by the difference in ability levels within a year group. I had expected a huge gap, but it is bigger than I could have anticipated, so I can definitely understand why teaching is such a challenge. I'm going back next week, and I'm looking forward to it, which must be a good sign!
Hi thread,

I'm going to be applying for 2014 entry, for Primary Education or Early Years (I'm still trying to work out which universities offer those courses- I currently live in York and don't want to go to a uni much further away than that :s-smilie:).

I've volunteered with year 3 and am just coming to the end of a week with Reception. So far my experience has made me realise I don't want to work with either year 3 or Reception! (This doesn't mean I've been put off doing a PGCE- just that what I want to focus on is slightly above the ability level of Reception and slightly below that of year 3- I'm going to try and get some experience with a year 1/2 class next if possible)
Reply 495
Original post by kuroshokora
Hi thread,

I'm going to be applying for 2014 entry, for Primary Education or Early Years (I'm still trying to work out which universities offer those courses- I currently live in York and don't want to go to a uni much further away than that :s-smilie:).

I've volunteered with year 3 and am just coming to the end of a week with Reception. So far my experience has made me realise I don't want to work with either year 3 or Reception! (This doesn't mean I've been put off doing a PGCE- just that what I want to focus on is slightly above the ability level of Reception and slightly below that of year 3- I'm going to try and get some experience with a year 1/2 class next if possible)

Bear in mind that most PGCEs will cover more than just key stage one so you will have to be happy to do others too even if they aren't your favourite.

Was it just the ability that you didn't like? If so, remember that reception have just started and many of them will be new to being in education. By the end of the year it will be completely different (maybe take a look at "Development matters in the eyfs" which lists typical development for a child, especially the "early learning goals" for each area as these are where children are "expected" to be at the end of reception.

On the other hand if its the structure that put you off (based on Chns interests, play based etc) then, while I'd encourage you to look in to why that structure is used (as it can also be great for key stage 1) early years may not be for you.

Good luck with your KS1 experience, they are lovely and after early years seem so grown up!!!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LaurieLee
So I started my classroom observations today and really enjoyed it! I get on nicely with all of the teacher's I've met and had some great advice from some of them already. It was nice to get in the environment, though I think it is going to take me a while to get used to being called "Miss"!

I particularly enjoyed helping out in Year 8 Gothic/horror writing work, the kids enjoyed it and put a lot of effort into it!

However, I was amazed by the difference in ability levels within a year group. I had expected a huge gap, but it is bigger than I could have anticipated, so I can definitely understand why teaching is such a challenge. I'm going back next week, and I'm looking forward to it, which must be a good sign!

I just had the same thing yesterday and I agree, it was really weird when students were calling me Sir!
Original post by kuroshokora
Hi thread,

As someone else said, you'll have to do a placement in the previous or following key stage, no matter your preference, so don't go in thinking you can pick and choose the specific year group. I'm training just now and while my main placement will be in KS2, a) I have no control over WHERE in KS2, and b) I'm in year one just now for my first assessed placement, regardless of my personal preferences.

So even if your final placement was going to be in Y1/2, you would also have to do a placement in either early years/nursery or KS2.

While working you also don't always have control over exactly where you end up. As staffing needs change you may well be moved to a different year group than that which you originally joined the school to teach.
Hi all, I am just curious on whether or not anyone has the same frustrations as me and if anyone can help... I am currently sitting a gap year (and saving up as much as possible from a full time job as it's not possible to even work part time when doing a PGCE...) as last year my application for PGCE Primary did not work out for various reasons but basically being underprepared. I now have sorted myself out and have GCSE's at grade C, a CRB check, both the QTS skills tests passed, a degree and am currently doing work experience. But there is still one thing in my way- the interview day tests. I find them so frustrating as I have already proven my maths ability by completing the other test! Also, the universities all promise that the tests are "easier than the skills tests" (which are bloody hard) and in my experience, I think that is bull... and in fact think they are harder and the time limits (usually 30 mins) more compressed. Does anyone share my issues? Also, as we cannot escape this issue, does anyone know any links where you can find example tests (OF THE INTERVIEW DAY TESTS NOT THE QTS TESTS) so that I can be more prepared? Or any ideas? I wish getting into teaching was easier, I understand why it isn't but I am so close and so far from my childhood dream.. I have seen fellow student wannabe teachers give up and I think this difficulty is a disgrace. :mad: THANK YOU X:smile:
Reply 499
Original post by Rachael Brown
Hi all, I am just curious on whether or not anyone has the same frustrations as me and if anyone can help... I am currently sitting a gap year (and saving up as much as possible from a full time job as it's not possible to even work part time when doing a PGCE...) as last year my application for PGCE Primary did not work out for various reasons but basically being underprepared. I now have sorted myself out and have GCSE's at grade C, a CRB check, both the QTS skills tests passed, a degree and am currently doing work experience. But there is still one thing in my way- the interview day tests. I find them so frustrating as I have already proven my maths ability by completing the other test! Also, the universities all promise that the tests are "easier than the skills tests" (which are bloody hard) and in my experience, I think that is bull... and in fact think they are harder and the time limits (usually 30 mins) more compressed. Does anyone share my issues? Also, as we cannot escape this issue, does anyone know any links where you can find example tests (OF THE INTERVIEW DAY TESTS NOT THE QTS TESTS) so that I can be more prepared? Or any ideas? I wish getting into teaching was easier, I understand why it isn't but I am so close and so far from my childhood dream.. I have seen fellow student wannabe teachers give up and I think this difficulty is a disgrace. :mad: THANK YOU X:smile:

The best thing you can do is talk to other people on here who are applying to the same unis as you, as they will know more specifically about the tests your uni will use.

Every uni is different. My uni tested maths ability once you were on the course, and they offered support to develop your skills and understanding (they wanted you to understand the maths not just memorise methods). The only test on the interview day was answering a couple of written questions which were mainly about understanding a text to do with teaching, rather than literacy skills. And there was no time limit other than the fact you had to hand it in by the end of the interview morning! So as you can see it varies greatly.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending